The immigration debate probably won’t change the course of this election as other issues have come to the forefront. But while most Americans are preoccupied with trying to make ends meet in the face of skyrocketing inflation, the facts on the ground are being created right now for eventual union with Mexico and Canada.
The United States already has free trade agreements and de facto open borders with Mexico. Motivated by economic opportunity and easy welfare, illegals come and go as they please and live in our sanctuary cities where they are safe from deportation. What’s next? Further economic integration, loss of national sovereignty, and a common currency… which probably won’t be the dollar as it has been collapsing right before our eyes.
Eventually, these developments could lead to a third-world style “North American Union” which would be a fascist elite’s dream come true. An impoverished, dependent and divided population is much easier to rule than a nation of self-confident individuals who can make a living on their own and who share the traditions and values that this country was founded upon.
Ron Paul’s six point plan puts a stop to illegal immigration:
- Physically secure our borders and coastlines. We must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country before we undertake complicated immigration reform proposals.
- Enforce visa rules. Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law. This is especially important when we recall that a number of 9/11 terrorists had expired visas.
- No amnesty. Estimates suggest that 10 to 20 million people are in our country illegally. That’s a lot of people to reward for breaking our laws.
- No welfare for illegal aliens. Americans have welcomed immigrants who seek opportunity, work hard, and play by the rules. But taxpayers should not pay for illegal immigrants who use hospitals, clinics, schools, roads, and social services.
- End birthright citizenship. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally will remain strong.
- Pass true immigration reform. The current system is incoherent and unfair. But current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity. Legal immigrants from all countries should face the same rules and waiting periods.