132 responses to “Poll: Do You Support The Bailout Bill?”

1. Jose Spenceros

This is a mess of epic proportion.

Years from now we can look back at this page and others and know who was right and who was wrong and I find that very interesting. Of course I am uncomfortable with our future outlook, but I take solice that what I read today is the TRUTH as it is repeated over and over on almost every informed website I can find. Only politicians and Pollyannas disagree. Many of you have done your homework and most of what I read today is at least from a seemeingly informed public. This offers me a bit of hope for the future; that we can mitigate the ongoing damages inflicted upon us my our culture of debt. Only people like Veggie Dan scare me, not implicitly, just that his level of understanding is the norm rather the exception.

Solutions:
    1) Live within our means, and (gasp) actually spend less than we earn. This must be done as a country, businesses, and households too.
    2) Drop the prime lending rate to 1% from 2% temporarily.
    3) Insure FDIC insurance to 500K or more.
    4) OUR gov needs to level with the people and tell us just how broke our country is, that we cannot even afford to operate day to day without the assistance (greed) of foreign banks. Most of the recent $800B fleecing package is going to foreign banks anyhow. JUST TELL US THE TRUTH big gov, cause we can handle it. Someone earlier said that our GDP is probably closer to 40% less than reported and I agree. David Walker is a MAVERICK if there ever was one. We risk turning a bad year into a bad decade!

The future pain that we will likely feel when this whole thing corrects is merely a function of the amount of lies we are willing to accept and the duration that this deception lasts. Make no mistake about it: Sometimes it’s sooner, and sometimes it takes longer, but in the end the piper ALWAYS gets paid.

Debt and lies are a deadly combo.

2. Dean

How much of this bailout money goes to Dubai to pay for that mess?

3. james johns

the bail out will be the same as bailing out the losers in las vegas wallstreet will be back to gambling the next day and wast all that money. the bank still lend money to any body with a good back ground. the depression will still get worse.

4. Danny Banks

i own silver. of course i want them to trash paper money some more!

5. bridgette dolgoff

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1697805906900297328 , i posted yesterday. the issue is that most of us do not understand the law that governs us. go to the web data i have left here, copy and paste. this is the truth, it will be hard to swallow, but listen to it all the way and then sit with it and you will get the full scope of what is going on! b

6. Dave

check out this link

we united have to change

write in Ron Paul

7. markus

I’m LIVID… and don’t really get that way often about politics……. Ron Paul said it eloquently.. we ought to be ashamed of ourselves. A year or two’s worth of “adjustment” pain is far far superior to the abject calamity we now face in 2009 or 10–who knows when. This is such a sorry political calculus…

8. The Dude

Let me just say the word. Oligarchy. Your voice is heard and clearly ignored. go back to sleep, you might escape the coming oppression. extermination for the dissenters. The Fascists and Commies have taken over. McCarthey wasn’t Paranoid. The Pirates have authority. pack up your stuff go hide in the woods. get off the grid. Like swiss family Robinson. Lord Bush is crashing the Liberty plane into the socialist mountain.Our home is nothing more than a market to the Globalists. you are a number, a statistic. you are living the last farcical days of a disease laden whore called democracy, who has compromised her values for a little bit of money. i hope the words upset you.perhaps you’ll get active.

9. Kip Day

You know this country has gotton so away from common sense that it makes me sick! We need to take this country back! Do you realize if this economic scandal would have happened in 1776, they would have taken these people out, tied them to trees, and shot them for selling out this country and the American people! We have gotten to comfortable in our every day live’s, we gripe about the government and how they have done us wrong, but we are not prepared to do anything about it. We need a revolution people before it is to late. Every day we lose a little more of our freedom’s, we need to Govern ourselves, throw these political hack’s out of Washington and say “NO MORE”

10. Macbizzle

I HATE the media idiots that are calling congressman who voted against the will of their constituencies patriots. If I hear any more bullshit about how it isn’t a popularity contest and that they are doing what’s right for America I’m going to vomit. You’re a congressman… you are the VOICE of your constituency. That’s why you’re in office you swine. If they wanted what was right for America we never would have gotten into this mess in the first place.

PS-

TIM K- 1,000,000 X 300,000,000 = 300,000,000,000,000. Three-hundred TRILLION is a lot more than seven-hundred BILLION. Like, 430 times more. Learn some math. You’re an idiot and your post makes everyone else on this website look dumber. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Richard- If you’re going to quote Franklin, do it right. “Any society that would give up a little liberty for a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” It sounds way better that way.

11. MIKKI STEPHENS

HELL NO !!!!!! LET THE GREEDY BASTARDS IN THE BANKS AND WALL STREET GO UNDER………….. JUST LIKE THE MIDDLE CLASS HAS…..!

12. Joe

It appears that even the Wachovia saga is going to have a good ending with those that are crying for government backing vying against those that did not. Wells Fargo should get to purchase whatever it wants regardless of deal, if the other whiner needs some fed backing, boo hoo.

In that regard the market was working itself out just fine.

If the money was destined to go directly to the money markets vs. buying up junk paper that wall st. had created out of thin air then I would have had some support for a bill, but not this bill obviously.

If the money was for that purpose alone, i.e. to fill in the gap in lending created by some bad decisions vs. forcing us to buy up worthless paper at a price set by the banks… I would have supported such a bill. Obviously, any alternative voices were promptly silenced.

This could have shaped up better, with multiple trips though the house and the world still would not have collapsed. I think American’s just got a knee-jerk right to the ribs this time and the clueless senate hoodwinked by the bushites one (hopefully!) last time.

13. Dave

The 700 billion should come out of the pockets of all the supporters of this bill.. O wait do you have any more to give to uncle sam ? … I would really like if some of these supporters of this bill would post on here and tell us NON supporters where they think all this money is really going…..

I my self do NOT support this bill… I do not think that all these people (sheep)can understand or even fathom how much 700 billion really is…

people sit in their little boxes (homes) watching their little boxes (tv) getting crammed full of cnn, fox, cnbc, and all this network crap and their all overspent and credited out saying “o yeah we should spend 700,000,000,000.00 to help us”. They seriously do not know the first thing about how money works other than ” I get my paycheck and I spend it ” …. Wasn’t every body told when they were a kid ” Do you think that money grows on trees” , where do they think all this (counterfeit) (monopoly) money is coming from?

WAKE UP!!!!!! NAP TIM IS OVER… Time to play with the big kids and have a mind of your own. Ron Paul is the real free America…

ps: Has anyone herd of the amero currency….

14. terry odom

At 54 years of age I think back to the time when I was around 18 years old and working in a bank. I attended AIB classes and had to write a paper on money and power. One of the books I used as a reference was entitled “The day the dollar dies” by Willard Cantelon (spelling?). Man that guy was right on!!
    I’m always leary of an elected “leader” that dose’nt feel like being truthful with the people that gave him that office with their ONLY source of power. Their lone vote. Each person that voted for these folks is partly responsible for this mess and abuse of power. Everybody has the RIGHT to vote for the candidate of their own choice. Party line voting is a thing of the past my friends and it will lead us to destruction.

15. Norma

Plesae wake up befour it is to late please i am voting for Ron Paul thank you

16. John

Okay, so we have a bill that, from all appearances, was not sanctioned by the majority of American voters?

What recourse is there when this supposedly elected government does not do the will of the people? ( and what and where is their proof that they did?).

They could ship us all to a Gulag? Or, we need to ensure that the Tax Paying, Working, Voter has recourse. This will not be overturned by a higher court, and we all knew, irrefutably, that it would pass.

WHERE IS THE GOVERNMENT FOR THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE????????

17. Richard

I have a very simple question for all of you, and that is when are you all going to wake up and smell the roses…..AS for myself I clearly state that I am not a income tax payer, haven’t been one for 18 years and IRS knows knows why. I hope my email infuriates the bunch of you because you are all a bunch of sheep. You need to wake up and take back the liberties that you have been deprived of because you are like a ostrich with your head in sand. Benjamin Franklin once was quoted as saying,”Those that give up liberty for safety, deserves neither liberty or safety.” Thomas Jefferson was said that the american people NEEDS to have a revolution every ten years, so they can keep the government in line. The one outspoken leader we have today is congressman Ron Paul….listen to him. In the mean time pull your heads out of your behind and strat doing something to get youR rights back..IN OTHER WORDS WAKE UP DUMMIES..

18. Mattynr

copy of my email to the bunch of them:

Subject: Vote..NO… NO .. on the private Business bail out.
    Letter sent to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and My congressman Howard Berman, both
    of my Senators….. Diane Feinstein and Barbara Boxer…
    and to Senators John McCain and Hillary Clinton.

Honorable Senator Barbara Boxer, September 30, 2008

I would like to share with you, and join the millions of Americans, my request to not…… do not… bail out this “private business” problem.

Please do not downplay the intelligence of the American people of not having an understanding of the severity of this problem. The complexities of this problem are well understood by many.

1. Private Business was given the freedom to operate without regulations.
    2. They abused this freedom.
    3. They do not want to take responsibility of their mistakes…. and want the tax payers to clean up this mess.

No.. the answer is No……

Business managers are doing what they know and do best… that is Business….
    and that is shifting their loses down to the consumer?

Give them an opportunity to save themselves and if they can’t? Then what we do won’t help in the long run anyway……..

Where we are is were we are heading……. they will have an opportunity to skim off the top money to protect their bottom line.

IMPORTANT……IMPORTANT….. There is a lot of money at the top of this in the Private Sector.. this is a private Business Problem, they created it and they need to scramble and save themselves.
    The motivation is there…… they can do it..
    I have been watching European news….. the world will survive….. Their consensus is just that,
    if we do not bail this out. We need to bring this to where it belongs…….. the private Sector.

You and the rest of “You” in Washington work for us….. not Business and Wall Street.
    If their problem does effect us…. this does not justify ….. “You” and the the rest of “You” jumping in bailing “Them” out without our permission….

“You”, and the rest of “You” do not have our permission to do this.

Now, there is so much angry out there, there is a campaign to vote against any member of Congress, Republican or Democrat who votes “yes” on this bail out……..
    THE MESSAGE SEEMS TO BE…
    WE, AS AMERICAN TAX PAYERS, HAVE HAD ENOUGH….

Sky is falling? It has already fallen!

Many Americans should not be in these homes with bad mortgages…. we can’t save that and shouldn’t……… but there should be a freeze and something retroactive to X date to keep those in their homes if they can manage the payments and have been paying all along.

Take that $700 Billion and pour it into our infrastructure creating JOBS, JOBS, JOBS, you cannot outsource a Bridge, Dam or Levee……. The government will grow with income tax moving in and people will be able to pay their own mortgages………… it is not our job to pay mortgages, nobody paid mine and I was a single mom.

19. Russ

Anyone else more committed than ever to run for office? I’m tired of this crap. I’m so tired of it. Utah had 2 Reps smart enough to say no. One incumbent Chris Cannon has lost favor with so many in this state that he didn’t even make it past the primaries this year. He voted yes. I got an email from his challenger (who will almost certainly beat the Dem candidate this year) stating he would have voted no. Both of our Senators voted yes. I’ve been saying words in my head that I don’t say, repeatedly.

20. lea winn

We are saddened to hear of the betrayal of the sell out.
    It is not a bail out, but a sell out.
    God be with us in our undertakings. We are not deceived by this evil.

21. Rob  Martin

This has to be the saddist day for America. Our elected represenitives have let the American people down. I will join any movement against getting rid and of the sorry of the communists that have taken over the government. Piece of s*** congress whom I wrote several emails and called—-I live and work in developing African country—and I still made time to try and communicate my feelings. So Bush, Paulson and Bernanke got their way. Unbeliveable!!!

22. Terry Bishop

The markets have to work this out. Congress is complicit in this situation going back to Johnson’s Great Society and the Community Reinvestment Act which was subsequently loosened by Congress through the Clinton Administration. I am at the cynical point in time believing that we just “follow the money” to determine why something is happening. Perhaps we should ban PAC money and other consideration to Congresspeople and we might solve the problem of lifelong legislators too as well as legislation benefitting just some. I was appalled at the pork in this bill which passed the Senate. This is a sad day for the United States and the economy…band aid surgery can only make it worse in the long run.

23. Ima

I agree with the TAX Revolt. Can we get a 2 million to join us?

24. L Dyno

Hello to all Real (and future)Patriots! All of our “bitchin & moanin” will do dillysquat in terms of results. Did all our calls and emails help sway the whores in Congress? Our true and effective revolution must be financial punishment to all the Congressional parasites that grow more cancerous to all Americans who bleed for their paychecks everyday. We need a massive and effective TAX STRIKE. Instead of filling out tax forms in April, we need to send letters to the I.R.S. and Congress that we, collectively, as American Citizens are fed up with being “raped and pillaged” by the so-called “American Government” and they are welcome to keep what they have but NO MORE MONEY! Fini. Done. If a tax strike could be accomplished in this Nation we just might be able to save ourselves from the gang of thugs that set up their circus tents in D.C.

25. claude bufler

ron paul is absoutly right

26. claude bufler

listen to ron paul or we are in big trouble

27. claude bufler

we better listen to ron paul or we are financially destroyed

28. C. Jodon

Re-elect no one that voted yes on this bill

29. David

H. Michael Fu:

So you support fixing a problem by doing the same thing that created the problem in the first place (printing worthless money)? Isn’t repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result called… insanity . . . ?

30. H. Michael Fu

Personally, I would simply support the bailout bill with admendments, and beside it has already pass the House, if you all have watch C-Span Live.

31. Marco

I think the House should still reject it even more so because of the “pork” spending bills now attached to this latest revision. Chances are that they won’t because they end up doing whatever the hell they want to do anyway.

Main Street America doesn’t count anymore and threats of; “We’ll remember at election time,” are empty and carry no weight since their overloaded Congressional pensions aren’t affected. This country is speeding to an end quicker than the Roman Empire! Democracy WAS a nice idea while it lasted, but we all share the blame for that, folks! We’re so damn busy hi-fiving each other and telling the rest of the world how super-bitchen we are, that we plum forgot to keep our leaders in check. We demand REAL CHANGE”, yet we are too scared to make the sacrifices needed to bring about that change. We’re even more frightened as to what the results of that change will be and how it will utimately affect us. Thus, we get the government we deserve and we go back to our whining and complaining routine as usual; all the while we are channel-surfing to see what happened this week on “Dancing With The Stars”. Pretty pathetic, huh? Welcome to America folks!

YOUBETCHA!

32. Scott in Ohio City

This whole thing – that it’s even being considered, SCARES me. I seldom get scared by the government incompetence, thinking it will work out, eventually. But this one? :-0

I was embarrassed for the President to hear him give that speech. I know he was reading what he was told, and prob didn’t understand it…. but, still. To get up on national television and pitch that “thing”.

Insanity.
    Who is gonna value those loans, that the government is buying from the moronic crooks who made them?
    This plan is gonna pass, eventually -and I think it’s gonna totally suck. :(((

33. Katherine Allen

I don’t think the bail out is even needed. And I’m sure not in favor of bailing out anyone other than American companies. It’s not my fault the market has gone global.

It seems the banks, etc. have done a fine job recovering as they should. Did anyone ask why $700B? Can we do it for less? Of course not. That’s not the government’s way. The banks and businesses will take care of themselves.

What we should be doing is voting no on the bail out. Then our
    “leaders” should be sitting down and undoing the laws from the Clinton area that are causing the mess with credit card rates and penalties and the laws that have caused these sub prime loans to people who cannot pay them. These should have been changed long ago. Can anyone see their socialist/communism goals are not working.

Also, did you hear? Some of the banks and business affected have been having their employees sit by the phone and call Congress over and over in favor of the bail out. That’s why Senator Reid said they were getting more positive calls on the bail out. Is there anything these crooks won’t do?

No the bail out scheme should be dumped. Loans and lines of credit
    have not dried up here on the West Coast. NO BAIL OUT FOR WALL STREET, EVER! BANKING IS NOT THE GOVERNMENT’S BUSINESS.

34. David

Passed… the people’s opinion no longer matters… wait, it hasn’t mattered for a long time. *sigh* I am saddened and sickened by what my country has become.

35. Lisa

I Don’t think most Americans realize this is a desperate attempt to line the pockets of the grotesquely rich before Bush leaves office. The American people need to wake up and take a stand against corporate greed or soon the class system with be slovenly rich and horridly poor. I am a mother of 3 and I fear for the future of my children. What kind of world do we live in that we can’t stop and really look at the happenings in our government. Only we the people can unite to change this rape and pillage from happening.