72 responses to “Poll: Who are you voting for?”

1. Joe

Like everything else GW has touched it always turns to shit, well one of the last things he touched was the republican party at election time. It will take a long time to recover from this.

I sincerely hope Ron Paul continues as a balancing force in the house and on the screen/interviews/public at large.

I do have a lot of respect for John McCain but for being a maverick he still listened to the same neocon election strategy that everyone is obviously hip to by now.

2. Realitista

CHARLES JAY OF THE BOSTON TEA PARTY!

Best libertarian option this year!

3. Bryan

I want my vote counted, not discarded, which might happen?? if we write in RP. So, Chuck Baldwin, RP’s recommendation is my choice.
    Libertarians, Constitutionals, Ron Paulites, even Nader heads; we need to UNITE as INDEPENDENTS. Remember Ron was on the Republican ticket, but that label has been sullied. We stand OUTSIDE of the Neo-con Republican Party, where all informed citizens will eventually move towards when the Fit hits the Shan.
    A new name for a new Revolution.

God help us as WE HELP OURSELVES!!!
    Peace

4. Jenny

How I would love to vote for a man like Ron Paul. Living in a “battleground” state like Florida, though, has made me feel that I must vote for McCain only as a way of voting against Barack Obama. I had considered writing in Ron Paul but became convinced that the movements that Obama would make towards socialism and morally bankrupt policies would become so entrenched in our culture (isn’t it funny that we’re still dealing with the awful policies of FDR?) that I could not risk 4 years of an Obama administration. If McCain wins, at least there’s still a fighting chance that in 4 years some of his stupid policies will be able to be repealed.

An open plea to Ron Paul: please run for the office of president again. Please don’t let me vote for the conservative-in-name-only Republican party again. Your voice has made a difference in my own thought about politics, the economy, and how libertarian principles are the friends of people who still see bright lines in moral issues.

5. Janelle

Chuck Baldwin isn’t on the NYC ballot. McCain/Palin are listed Republican, Conservative, and Independent.

6. Tom in ohio

I know Ron Paul has said we should vote for Bob Barr, and I almost did. But today for the first time in my life, I cast a vote in good conscience for the good of America and the freedom we love so much. (That is quickly being taken away). That vote was a write in to Ron Paul. Many would say I “wasted” my vote because he can’t win, however I would ask? Did I really? Or have the American people been cheating themselves by only considering the two party monopoly. I cast a vote that cleared my conscience, and for the good of America…. I wish more people would have done the same. Keep trying Dr. Paul, people are waking up every single day.

7. Barbara Starr

I was, and still am, a supporter of Ron Paul and his principals. However, I believe it would have been in the best interest of our country for Dr. Paul to have supported the Republican candidate. No, he is certainly far from my choice, but he is so much better than the alternative. Sometimes we are forced to be pragmatic and put our ideals aside and do what is in the best interest of our country. I say, our country,but I am not sure how long I will feel that it is my country if Senator Obama is sworn in as our next President. It simply doesn’t get any worse, in my opinion, than the socialistic platform that he has run on (and possible actually be elected our next President). I support Libertarian principals, but the reality is that Bob Bar was not electable at this time. If Obama is elected, and we have an overwhelming Liberal majority, our liberties are in serious jeopardy. Perhaps if Dr. Paul had showed his support for John McCain those votes could have made a difference.

8. maria

I voted for Chuck Baldwin. I figured I couldn’t quite vote for McCain. I think it is interesting that Ron Paul endorsed Chuck instead of Bob Barr. I really like Chuck but I don’t think he can address anyone but Christians, and he would need to show that it makes sense for everyone. So in lieu of “none of the above” and standing up for what is the hardline right( a little extremism might be good now and then),since Ron Paul is not on the ballot, the vote went to Chuck Baldwin. My votes also went against every incumbent we had.

I’m inclined to believe that we need to start now to do something real for the next election(if there ever is another). I hope Ron Paul runs again, and trains others to follow in his wise footsteps. That way, we have better trained people for the future.

9. Rawley Butler

i LOVE Ron Paul and i support him all the way! but i think that Ron would tell me to vote for Chuck Baldwin! so i have to vot for Chuck!
    VOTE 3rd PARTY, VOTE FOR TRUE CHANGE!!!!!!

10. Tresa

PLEASE EVERYBODY GET OUT AND VOTE. The third parties need every single vote they can get. Although it seems futile, if you don’t show strong disention by voting 3rd party, then the themes and dissatisfactions will never register and things will continue moving the way they have been.

The best hope is for the next presidential candidate to take notice that significant numbers of people are sick of status quo and want to see real change — sick enough to vote third party. Maybe the next president will touch on ANY of the meaningful issues of our day — crazy spending, lack of fiscal responsibility, nonsensical government intervention, the failing socialist system of education, the Fed — etc etc.

PLEASE VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Dave

I am extremely dismayed at the extent of elite/State control not simply in place, but, running smoothly. I read many of the comments above and get further dismayed by the apparent susceptibility to state media influence and its opinion control of the writers; to the writer’s surprise, I’m sure.
    Morality cannot be enforced. Abortion is a failure of genuine religious understanding to succeed. Legislating choice is a holocaust of freedom. No one likes to see pain and suffering; passing legislation in place of securing viability of education and increased awareness of life and one’s own relationship to the universe and others is only saying “Make it go away!” which actually hands over responsibility, power and choice to a certain group of individuals over the constitutional liberty intended for all.
    The country I’ve known and believed in all my life lives in me and in Ron Paul and he was taken out with the simplest ease. RP understands the MAGNITUDE of the problem escaping most of the comments I read above. The country I’ve known and loved all my life is now only a memory, just like my grandparents whose corpses rest securely cold and dark, threatening no one.
    I’ll be voting for Cynthia McKinney today because I cannot in any way endorse the level of unbridled evil so pleasantly disguised in the two major candidates’ groups as well as by the fact that Ron Paul is not on the ballot in New York–that would be a no-brainer.
    People define America in many ways. The only definition of America or the United States of America or being an American I’ve ever had has been ‘those with the Constitution of the United States of America and the Declaration of Independence alive and maintained in their being’.
    That definition does not have a geographic border. It does have a terrible consequence once the principles and concepts of those documents are no longer relevant to the fascination of the day and are subjugated to serve lesser interests or intent. Of course, out of sight is out of mind is out of luck.
    The USA is no more. It is merely a collection of states under corporate and media control.
    Where’s the integrity?
    Where’s the courage?

12. Beth

I voted for Ron Paul.I’m in Louisiana and soo happy to see him on the ballot here. Please run in the next election!

13. Michelle

I would have voted for Ron Paul if he were on the ballet in Jersey but since he wasnt I voted for Obama. I personally feel he would do a better job than McCain would.

14. Kevin Smith

Kev’s Rules:

Rule 1: One must cast a vote. In order to have minimum civic participation in the democratic process of a republic, One must cast a vote. If not, One’s personal authority to publicly discuss or express opinion on all issues is removed by self. Without a vote, One would operate without One’s authority.

Rule 2: One must cast a vote according to One’s principles. Principles are what guide us through our lives, they are like the “roots or our tree”. Without principles (whatever they may be) One is lost. To not vote One’s principles is paramount to not having principles.

That’s it. Pretty simple. You can take all the ideas of not voting, voting for the “lesser” or “protest voting” and through them out.

It is up to each person to vote on their principles to effect a working Republic. Not voting (which is the worst offence) will neither hinder the two main parties, help any third party, nor will it express your principles using the most basic of our civil involvement – the vote.

I would argue that all third parties in this election will not garner much power (and by power I mean the ability to persuade the two main parties to move their party’s platform).

Our Republic has and always will have (under current laws) a two party system. As voters it is up to us to either support one of the main parties, or attempt to persuade one or both of the main parties to change their party platform. Our country’s history shows that any main party that is reluctant to move their platform, is in jeopardy of losing their main party standing.

I personally can not vote for the Constitution Party because of my recent stand on the abortion issue. I believe that government control over a person’s authority is null as long as that person is not causing harm to another (of course, this leaves open the question of where does life begin – I’ve yet to understand myself on this issue). Therefore, government has neither authority to approve or deny abortions.

So this cycle (and since ’96) I’ve chosen the Libertarian Party. My vote will show the support of my principles and have the added effect of assisting the LP’s efforts to be on the ballot in all 50 states.

I could ramble on for hours, but I’ll close. Thank You.

15. Joe

To Maxwell,

It would be to your benefit to coordinate a withdrawal of British troops with ours at the same time, as I am sure that will be the way it would happen. I can tell you are no military strategist in thinking that.

If you blame anyone for your percieved bloodbath, blame the guy who started the war in the first place. He is clearly the one responsible for the deaths so far. I think anyone who supports Ron Paul and the war at the same time, is missing a good part of the message.

16. EMC

To Joe The Student,
    Explain the situation to the Supervisor of Elections in your county and ask if you can vote by fax. It is possible to vote that way as an absentee voter and perhaps it can work in your case. Maybe it will work. It certainly is worth a try.
    If yes get to a place where they can fax you the papers. Then fill out the ballot and send it back by fax…

The only drawback is that since it goes over a fax, the secrecy for whom you voted is lost because the ballot markings may become known to others in that office. But that shouldn’t matter since you do want to vote and what can they ever do with that knowledge anyway? Good luck and God Bless, EMC

17. maxwell field

i am british living in britain so i am not voting but whoever votes for obama is just plain wrong he doesnt know what hes talking about. if he pulls out of iraq then there will be a bloodbath of our soldiers. there blood will be on his hands

18. joethestudent

Planned to vote for chuck baldwin. Applied for absentee ballot as I am too far away to vote in my precinct. The city clerk couldn’t copy my address correctly and apparently sent my ballot to some other address that could not possibly have been confused with mine. I have no way to get to the polls, and the clerk had no other solution for me. She did offer me her apology;) I have been disenfranchised by idiots. Just found out about the revolution a couple weeks ago. Looking for more Michiganders who want real “change”…

19. Raymond Miller

This is my first election to vote in as I just turned 19, however; I have previously watched all the debates between Mr. Bush and former nominees. I find this country has taught the younger generation (my closest friends) how to NOT think. It’s quite simple how all of this should work and I think everyone here knows the voting system, the so call ‘democracy’, and the power of our vote is completely broken. We need someone who has enough power to bring us all together, make the march, and bring the country back to its roots. I can preach about our government, I can complain about the campaign, I can even become a rebel and fight to bring a revolution about, but there is always a mass population of blinded and miss lead uninformed and unintelligent people to bring the rest back down! We don’t need to wait until the primary election starts four years from now to moan about the electoral process, we need to start it right now! People should have seen how the “lesser of two evils” brought this country to its knees under the Bush Administration, yet the whole country just wants to forget about it and move on as if it never happened!!!! If the people of the United States informed their selves of what’s happening then maybe they would all be as frightened as we are! We all need to stand up and teach these miss lead minds that everything that is happening now is man created but hidden from the weekend minds!!!
    Ps. I’m voting for Chuck Baldwin, Ron Paul will just be thrown away if I vote for him. To think you will make a statement by voting for him is redundant, no one on CNN, FOX, MSNBC or any other nationally broadcasted television show will announce it so no one will ever care beside the few of us here!!!!!!!!!!

STAND UP AND FIGHT!!!

20. Howard

I am voting Palin/Macain. I cannot let a known socialist get elected. It would ruin our Country. We need a strong leader in a new third party and that leader should be Ron Paul. I say let’s start campaining now for the 2012 elections so we will be reconized.

21. J1nz0

I’m not American, so I cannot vote, but I think that the best solution for American people in these elections consists in voting for Bob Barr. Constitution Party has a chart of values based on puritanism, so I think that Baldwin, though Dr. Paul endorsement, can’t be voted, even if, at the end, maybe he would act on ethical issues simply removing federal funds on abortion, same as Ron Paul.

However, Barr seems the most balanced candidate for libertarian people.

22. maggie

I’ll be voting for Barr. In theory, I want to vote for Baldwin because Dr. Paul endorsed him, but I just can’t get over his religious zeal. That’s too much for me to stomach.

23. sandy

i was at your convention wonderful time to bad your not on the balad in ohio

24. Ted

I never thought about the fact that if Obama got elected Ron Paul could come back in 2012. It would be impossible for him to get the nomination against an incumbent Republican. I have been struggling over the whole issue of “wasting” my vote on a third party candidate. We all know the chances of one of them getting elected are nill because there are too many sheeple ( I like that term!) that have been brainwashed into thinking that there are only two choices that have been preselected for the American people to choose from! If everyone voted their heart instead of worrying about if their vote would count or not I think we would see an upending of the two party system, but the chances of that happening are slim to none. I still don’t get the whole electoral college thing. Just doesn’t make sense to me and never will. All that being said, I think that I will vote for Bob Barr only because Alan Keyes is not on the ballot in TN. I just can’t quite stomach the Chuck Baldwin thing.( Sorry Ron!) I do this thinking that I will send the message of dissatisfaction with the way things are being run in this country and Obama will more then likely be elected thereby giving Ron Paul a chance to try again in 2012.

25. Russ

I can’t help but agree with everyone who thinks That Mclame and Osama(i mean Obama) are one and the same.Dr. Paul’s presidential campain is certianly proof enough that the media will attempt to limit our choices. Nothing would make me happier than to be able to vote for Dr. Paul but as we all know write ins seem to be a losing battle. Tomorrow i will be casting my vote for Chuck Baldwin.He has made the ballot in Wisconsin. We may not win the battle this time but we can send a message to future voters,future politians,and to the media that we will no longer be asleep at the wheel of our democracy.
    I’m curious if in the next four years the independents can maybe organize in the spirit of mutual cooperation to set up a platform debate that would resemble the republican and democratic presidential canidate debates. If Ronco and QVC can get primetime airtime why couldn’t an independent presidential debate?
    It might also help if each party some how became involved in the primaries is some fashion. The republicans and democrats hog thee Americans attention by monopolizing T.V. and Radio for almost two years before an election. Is it any question why most of the Sheeple of the U.S.A. think the third parties don’t have an honest chance?

26. Mandy

Osama and McLame both prepare platforms that will dupe many people into believing that things are actually getting better, once either one is elected. In truth, this platform will be the beginning of slavory for the masses that will be nothing but the mules for the ruling elite.

27. Carter

I would have loved to vote for Ron Paul in this election, but the facts are that he will not win nor will any independent. I hope a way to reform this two party system surfaces and that Dr. Paul will run again. I am voting for John McCain, the candidate who is not as bad as Barack Obama, and a candidate that has a chance of winning.

28. Erika

I am sooo tempted to NOT VOTE AT ALL! However, Ron Paul did endorse Chuck Baldwin but I don’t really like him because his main emphasis and primary concern is on immigration whereas our major concern should be on destroying the fed for bailing out Wall Street giving $7 billion dollars. Plus, let’s not forget that this country was built mainly on hard working immigrants from ALL over the world. America is special because of all the different colors and cultures incorporated in one making us interesting and eccentric… plus, Chuck Baldwin is a retarded legalist Christian whom wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for his immigrant ancestry from I don’t know where but from somewhere!

Anyway, moving on to my objective… regardless of who wins, we, The American people need to seek answers to the real issues we are facing globally because we are certainly not getting any from McCan’t and Osama, we need a revolution to demand genuine Constitutional Rights that our founding fathers left behind for our Freedom. A revolution to defend the great American principles of individual liberty, constitutional government (in which we no longer have), sound money, free markets, and a non interventionist foreign policy.

Sadly, Americans and fellow resident’s of the United States are totally ignorant and oblivious to our Nations status. It is said that the voters do not pick the president as it is mentioned on this forum. Ron Paul also stated: “The election process is controlled by the powerful elite to make sure that neither candidate of the two major parties will challenge the status quo,” “There is no real choice between the two major parties and their nominees, only the rhetoric varies. The amazingly long campaign is designed to make sure the real issues are ignored.” I say that only $$$$$$$ MONEY VOTES are counted here. This presidential charade/fiasco has become nothing more than an emotional & popularity contest… people should explore other sources other than the mainstream media shining the light on Obaba & McWack.

Our political system is indeed a corrupted one! And we the people are clearly being deceived and misinformed. What a shame! Good luck America.

29. Erin E

oh, and here we have electronic balloting and you can’t write in anything on an electronic ballot. It’s a touch screen

30. Erin E

As far as I’m aware Ron Paul isn’t on the ticket; at least he wasn’t listed in the paper as a cadidate. If I see him when I go to the polls tomorrow then I’ll cast my vote for him, but if not then I’m voting for Bob Barr

31. Edward

Jim B,

I hope you are smart enough to realize that you only have one vote and it is too insignificant to accomplish your goal of defeating Obama…you talk like the millions of sheeple who have a fantasy that their McCain vote is going to keep Obama out of the White House…if you saw the movie “Swing Vote” you would understand no politician cares about your particular insignificant single vote and neither McCain nor Obama will come knocking on your door begging for it unless it’s a tiebreaker vote that decides the outcome of the election. All your vote will do is become a tiny statistic and raise McCain’s election day totals by one.

You seriously need to read this

Please don’t betray Dr. Paul and the liberty movement with that wasted McCain vote. Dr. Paul is not voting for Obama nor McCain for many reasons

32. Mandy

I am not voting at all. If Ron Paul would be one of the candidates I would definitelly vote for him. We have two lame ducks/strawman for presidential nominees. How in a country that wants a real change we ended up with Obama, who is sponsored by shady figures and gives good speaches but will do nothing at all, or with weak man who is also a strawman for somebody else I have no clue. Nothing good will come out of both of them. I look at a financial crisis as a deliberately planned and executed one, to create chaos and panic and show who the real powerhouses are who run this world. Barack changing things for the better? Please. Barack is no one, he is a puppet and so is McCain. I agree with Dustin. I refuse to vote until Revolution. Ron Paul for President, Dennis Kucinich for VP.

33. Rod

DON’T TREAD ON ME

Ron please lead the Revolution

34. Jim B

I voted for Ron Paul in the NM primary. He isn’t on the ballot here for the regular election. I have voted independent many times in the past. I know neither McCain nor Obama come close to Ron Paul. However, I am convionced that Obama is significantly worse than McCain, and believe I have to try to stop him from winning so will vote for McCain. Then I will reapply my energies to the Campaign for Liberty. But for now an Obama presidency can do far more damage than McCain.

35. Joe

Well I’d have to say that 90% percent of Ron Paul supporters are not wing nuts in the least, but if Barack Obama wins he actually represents a split from the Democratic movements of late, I.E. Globalist Republican Light(tm) policies of Clinton/Bush and the democratic congress we have now. I think it is a shift in the wrong direction on some subjects but a positive one in others. Well I hope anyway… He represents to me at least at face value a real democrat from another era for the better, but personally I am less inclined to believe in those principles.

I just cannot vote for McCain period since he drafted that pinhead from Alaska as a potential replacement. I think even if he won with another running mate I would not have as much difficulty even with him being tainted goods until he picked that faith healing dipshit, it just stinks of typical neocon pablum.

I supported Ron Paul because he brought common sense ideas to the forefront and I still admire his opinion on many topics mostly economic ones and his stance on third party candidates: but I was a little more than disappointed that he would not run as one.

My locality will no doubt carry Barack Obama, so it is either I will vote for him or vote for the libertarian candidate just to prop up third party candidates for the future and maybe help stop the media hit job on them.

I think if I took anything away from the Ron Paul presidential effort it is that the Federal Reserve is in to perpetuate itself, and protect the elite from the “ravages of the market”, a sentence that Noam Chomsky has uttered many a time. And that our country is run more less by parties so alike and so in bed with the elite that it is hard to tell where the next slap in the face is going to come from.

But I remind the most hardcore republicans among you, that the there are real truth-sayers out there, in both parties and especially in the third party ones as well. That is the cause that I will keep in mind in the future.

I came to understand more about Ron Paul through Alex Jones’s radio show, where without I would have maybe sided with the media impression that Ron Paul was a kook had I not listened to the radio show, Well that and the fact that he was anti-iraq war impressed me a lot.