Ron Paul Answers Questions

Ron Paul was recently interviewed by the New York Times’ Freakonomics Blog. The interview was published in two separate posts, Part 1 and Part 2.

Highlights:

Why Ron Paul didn’t run as a Libertarian or Independent

Q: Even before the primaries, you said you would not run in the general election. Why specifically did you not run?

A: I was running for the Republican nomination, and I would have run in the general if I had won. I had little interest in running third party due to the inherent biases against such efforts. I also signed legally binding agreements not run third party in 2008 if I failed to win the G.O.P. primary. That was the cost for ballot access in several states, 11 total I believe. So even I had wanted to, it would not have been possible to run in the general after I lost the primary.

Steps Ron Paul Would Immediately Take to Heal the Economy

Q: What would your plans for economic stimulation look like during this slumping economy?

A: […] During the presidential campaign, I released the following four-point plan, and would stick by it while at the same time listening to experts for advice on how to improve it:

The Four-Point Plan

1) Tax Reform: Reduce the tax burden and eliminate taxes that punish investment and savings, including job-killing corporate taxes.

2) Spending Reform:
Eliminate wasteful spending. Reduce overseas commitments. Freeze all non-defense, non-entitlement spending at current levels.

3) Monetary Policy Reform: Expand openness at the Federal Reserve and require the Fed to televise its meetings. Return value to our money.

4) Regulatory Reform: Repeal Sarbanes-Oxley regulations that push companies to seek capital outside of U.S. markets. Stop restricting community banks from fostering local economic growth.

Additional Changes To Avoid Collapse And Institute Reforms

Q: Do you believe that it is possible to make positive incremental changes to our monetary policy, entitlements, taxes, etc. within the system, or is it just a matter of waiting for failure and then coming in with a solution?

A: Yes, I do believe we can make successful changes. And I want to start making those changes now so that we can avoid a devastating collapse. But we need to start quickly before it’s too late. If we can cut spending and balance budgets, beginning with our overseas expenditures, we can do a lot to fix this mess. We also need monetary reform. I would begin with the incremental step of repealing legal-tender laws and legalizing the use of gold and silver to act as a currency alongside the dollar. That would help stabilize the dollar and strengthen our monetary system.

Monetary Reform and Auditing the Fed

Q: What is the first thing the country should do about its monetary policy?

A: We should immediately audit the Federal Reserve. I am the ranking member of the Monetary Policy subcommittee in the U.S. Congress, yet I can get more information about the internal workings of the C.I.A. than I can about our central bank. This secrecy is fundamentally wrong, and I believe that people from all over the ideological political spectrum can agree on that.

Ron Paul’s Foreign Policy

Q: What role should the United States play on the world scene?

A: I believe we should treat everyone the same. We should be friends with all willing parties, talk and trade with everyone we can, have diplomacy, and travel. At the same time, we should not subsidize foreign governments with money or weapons; this comes back to hurt us more times than not. We should not have separate and different policies for Europeans or Latin America, Israelis or Palestinians. We should set a good example here at home and stay out of the internal affairs of other countries.

Ron Paul, The Reluctant Politician

Q: Will you run for a leadership position in the House Republican caucus?

A: I have no plans to do so. I don’t cut deals and trade votes, which is exactly what a role like that requires.

Ron Paul on Abolishing the Income Tax

Q: What are your thoughts on abolishing America’s income tax and switching over to a consumption tax such as the fair tax?

A: I want to abolish the income tax, but I don’t want to replace it with anything. About 45 percent of all federal revenue comes from the personal income tax. That means that about 55 percent — over half of all revenue — comes from other sources, like excise taxes, fees, and corporate taxes.

We could eliminate the income tax, replace it with nothing, and still fund the same level of big government we had in the late 1990’s. We don’t need to “replace” the income tax at all. I see a consumption tax as being a little better than the personal income tax, and I would vote for the Fair-Tax if it came up in the House of Representatives, but it is not my goal. We can do better.

Ron Paul on Global Warming: Greenland was once green

Q: Do you deny global warming? Is Obama right to invest money in green technology? If you don’t deny it, and don’t think Obama is right, what is your solution?

A:[…] Clearly there is something afoot. The question is: Is the upward fluctuation in temperature man-made or part of a natural phenomenon. Geological records indicate that in the 12th century, Earth experienced a warming period during which Greenland was literally green and served as rich farmland for Nordic peoples. There was then a mini ice age, the polar ice caps grew, and the once-thriving population of Greenland was virtually wiped out.

It is clear that the earth experiences natural cycles in temperature. However, science shows that human activity probably does play a role in stimulating the current fluctuations.

The question is: how much? Rather than taking a “sky is falling” approach, I think there are common-sense steps we can take to cut emissions and preserve our environment. I am, after all, a conservative and seek to conserve not just American traditions and our Constitution, but our natural resources as well.

Ron Paul on the 2008 Presidential Campaign

Q: What do you think were your biggest mistakes in the primary race, and what would you now do differently?

A: I was always pessimistic and never thought we would get to where we did. My regret is that we couldn’t see how quickly things would grow and were not adequately prepared for the explosion in money and support when they came. There are dozens, hundreds of things we could have done better, but we all worked hard and did our best. And I know we built something that will only get stronger in the years to come.

(Emphasis added)

If you have any additional questions for Ron Paul, feel free to post them below and we will try to get an answer.

1. Thanks for another informative site. The place else
    may just I am getting that kind of information written in such an ideal method?

I've a venture that I'm simply now running on, and I've been at
    the glance out for such info.

2. Dear Mr Paul, I wish that I knew what your views were before the last election for I would have voted for you , I am from Connecticut , in the up comming election I intend to vote for Mr Schiff who is an economist should he get in he could replace Dodd on the banking commission , my great concerns are as follows should the Czars undermine congress to the point where congress has no say in the process will each congressman tell his constituents to resist
    because the country no longer has a constitutionally governing body
    controlling the country

3. I really love your blog!!

Can anybody tell me what

4. Mr. Paul

I am 16 years old and I live in Chicago. I would just like to inquire as to your position, or opinion of the FEMA camp/Marshall law conspiracy supposedly going to take place in America soon. I have been reading into it. Including Operation Garden Plot, Rex 84
    and other things related to this. Also, the fact that the U.S. military has been training U.S. soldiers in Urban Warfare in U.S. cities. I understand it is supposedly to ready them for the possibility of a terrorist attack within our borders, but that doesn't explain training them in stopping civilian vehicles and searching them without warrant. I just find this very concerning personally. Don't get me wrong, I am not feeding into all these conspiracy theories. I just want to fully understand it before i embrace or reject these theories. I know you don't have time to respond and set a position on every conspiracy theory being talked about, but this is a very serious issue in my eyes. So please, if you can, respond and let me know what you think about this issue, and if, in your eyes it has any real base behind it. And if not, an explanation to operation garden plot and rex 84.

5. What is your opinion about Obama's eligibility for Presidency with regard to his natural born citizenship satus (see below link for example)?

Thank you!

6. We have been attacked by many -

even so called 'friends' trying to get us into wars with their enemies... look up the Lavon Affair (found out when a bo m. b went off prematurely that it wasn't really 'nasty mus lims' - and the USS Liberty - where the US was attacked by US donated planes/miss.iles/attack craft, etc. (which LBJ said that he wants the USS LIberty 'at the bootom of the ocean' after he personally unscrambled two seperate flights of A/C to protect the ship.

Look up OperationN orth woods... and maybe drjudywoods.com for goot measure.

What about the supposed mus lims in India a couple of days ago - asking specifically for British and US Passport holders?

The reason that there aren't more 'retaliations' is that most people are kindly - and put up with a lot of abuses before rising up... look at US citiz4ens... or even the army - who gets sent off to die on foreign soil without even proper equipment... why did a couple 4 star generals go around wearing Dragon Skin Armour when visiting Iraq/Afghanistan... yet the 'troops' are equipped with a crappy piece of lead to protect them?

Musl ims in some ways have more guts (or less brains since getting the wrath against them) than many other people in standing up for themselves... since they at least 'believe' in 'something'. The ideal world might be Mus lims ruling Mus lims in Arabia - Germans ruling themselves, chinese themselves, true blooded american ruling themselves... all minding their own business... even if there are little wars between people... others should stay out.

The victor is always 'right' and the loser always 'evi l'... since 'they write the history books' so to speak.

Not the fake alternative of 'lets make one country = 'no wars' then'.

7. I also have another question regarding your non-interventionist policies. You have said many times that the reason that we are being attacked is because we're in the middle east, but why, then, have there been no attacks on us from the other hundred or so countries where we are? Please site some specific examples, thank you.

8. Will you run for the presidency again in 2012?

9. Diogo Oliva Vivaldini:

Do you know if it is true that the UN OWNS The Amazon Basin - I have heard that the UN through IMF/World Wank works like this:

1. try to bankrupt all countries
    2. loan money to said countries that could never possibly be paid off
    3. trade land for debt/oil/etc.
    4. slowly bankrupt all the lands
    5. own the world

Also there is more I've heard - such as:

Oil per barrel (nearly 250 L of oil) costs $2 to $3 per barrel to dig up and transport. The UN gets the difference in price from the '$100' or '$50' (etc. whatever it is 'trading for' at the time) - hence where they further get money to 'be nice' 'relieving/forgiving debt'.

There are two countries that did not sign up to the UN/ US secret deal Kiss ing er was going around demanding - Iran and Iraq under Saddam. Iraq has since been subdued and Saddam was put into power by the USA of course.

The deal was like this:
    1. we will buy all the oil you can dig up
    2. in return - you purchase US debt at X% of GNP

The USA is supposed to have 2 large oil fields (the largest out side of Iran) that can EACH/individually can SUPPLY THE WORLD'S OIL REQUIREMENTS - INCLUDING PROJECTED EXPANSION (3rd world counties getting cars for all - and projected population growth) for the next 200 years.

The largest pipeline in the world is supposed to have been built for the fields (on the Alaskian Continental Shelf) or Purdue Island - and Gull Island...

This oil was supposedly banned for US import (bringing it to actual Refineries to process) and is thus kept as 'hidden reserves'.

The Rev. Lindsey Williams (from memory) is suppossed to have broken his silence a few years ago an has written 'The Energy Non-Crisis'. The Big Wig of the oil fields got the sack - and helped update the figures for the book - so that they could not be dismissed if a single 'error' was incurred. Then he got his job back with pay rise to shut-up.

Look up the Rev Williams on youtube for some videos about it... and 'economic hit men' for the other.

Cheers.

PS I guess that such things could not be brougth up in congress / senate - if they proved to be true???

10. Diogo Oliva Vivaldini

Mr. Paul, I am a brazliam engineering student and i´d like to ask you about how can I spread the liberty message in an effective way here in Brazil, because we are taking the same steps here at my country that yours government is doing at the U.S., the only difference is that the brazilian government cannnot print astounding quantities of money the same way you guys do with your dollars. But our interest hates are one of highest in the world and our importations are only 9% of everithing we consume, wich means we are less vulnerable in terms of resources, but we need desperately to shrink the size of our government, cause we are working 5 months of the year for the government, this massive taxation is an outrage to the freedom of private iniciative and i am really upset about what is going to happen with my country in the next years.
    Very much thank you for your attention.