148 responses to “Going Back To The Gold Standard?”

1. VR

More than enough gold

2. Cathy

We, voters and taxpayers, have to DEMAND that our elected officials put the DOLLAR BACK ON THE GOLD STANDARD to stop this economic free for all. It’s the only way since The Fed loves printing dollars and Congress loves spending them! We have to take the power back from Congress and the President and The Fed!

3. The One World Currency Has Comith? «

[...] Going Back To The Gold Standard? Ron Paul is interviewed about “dumping the faith-based Federal Reserve system”. He talks about the… [...]

4. Audit the Fed « reasonandjest.com/blog

[...] don’t know nearly as much about the Gold Standard as do Ron Paul and Lew Rockwell, but I do think that, given not just that the Feds have ruined the dollar but that [...]

5. Poppa Bear

Most of us have been waiting a long time for the price of gold to start taking off again.

Gold as well as most other commodities have been held down for quite a long time by the bankers. The world wide economic system is based on paper and the Central Bankers will lose power when commodities begin to rise. If the system is driven by paper and credit, it would not be in the interest of the bankers to have the public buying up tangible assets.

Gold and the rest of the precious metals have become the only real safe investment. I believe the current gold price is not anywhere near the price it should be at, based on inflation.

The following is an excellent article on how gold has decoupled from the US Dollar…. http://www.goldnewswire.net/gold-disconnects#gold-price

6. Tim Singleton

Yes, in form, but not so much in substance. The 16th Amendment creating the income tax was repeatedly defeated in the Senate as long as the state houses were selecting senators directly.

With the passage of the 17th Amendment which gave all the people equal say in selecting their two senators just as they selected their representatives, the politics of envy were used to justify a Federal income tax. The same interests and people who elect representatives now elect the Senators, so, from that perspective the bicameral nature of the Congress is greatly compromised. My point is the balance of powers amongst the people is as important as the balance of powers amongst the three branches of government.

Their simply is no balance against those who receive benefits from the government acting in favor of those who produce. As for it being a horrible thing to say, well, tough. It is going to be a horrible thing to see this nation eventually go bankrupt. The rich will make out as they always do and the poor will suffer even more than before. We will become ‘equally shabby.’

Besides, I have been overseas and I have seen poverty. There is not a helluva a lot of poverty in the United States when taken in the context of the world.

7. Sean

“The United States Senate is the upper house of the bicameral United States Congress, the lower house being the House of Representatives. The composition and powers of the Senate and the House are established in Article One of the Constitution.” Wiki

And thats a horrible thing to say. We don’t want to split up our country at all. We want the rich and the poor working together.

1. Tim Singleton

I cannot even begin to address the pool of ignorance your reply must pull from. I will not address you again until you have read Atlas Shrugged, all 1000+ pages. You have your homework.

8. Tim Singleton

Well, I would certainly prefer to get paid in gold and silver because whatever else may come, I still got my gold and silver. Dollars can be repudiated as can any currency.

This is not going to be resolved as long as the voting poor have the ability to have an equal say as a producer. This is why we had a bicameral legislature. The 17th Amendment has us screwed into the ground.

1. Sean

We still have a bicameral legislature. The Senate and the house of represenatives….

1. Tim Singleton

No, we do not. We have two houses elected by the same pool of voters. Originally, the Senators were elected by the State legislatures and acted as ambassadors of the States to the Federal goverment while the House of Representatives were elected by the voters.

They could not pass the 16th Amendment, the income tax amendment, as long as the States were selecting senators. I present as my own definition of proof of this that one of the first things done after passage of the 17th Amendment, which gave selection of Senators to the voters rather than the State houses, was the passage of the 16th Amendment that gave the Federal government the ability to tax the individual.

We had much more protection from the Progressives when the State houses selected senators than we do today. Now, the Senators interests are the same as the representatives. It was a sad day for the republic when is lost a key character of being a republic.

9. Stewart, Scottish

Interesting posts. I agree with Warren on most points. There are just enough pawns (some Jewish) in the mix to confuse people, but there is a Rothschilds behind each sinister chapter of American history for the last 150 years or so. It is no accident that they are NEVER in the news.
    I’ll have to dig out an old book of mine, “The Elite Serial Killers.” I forget the author’s name, I will post it. Written by a patriot.
    Which reminds me, look up “Sodium Fluoride” on the internet. This poison is added to toothpaste. Read the back of the label on your toothpaste. The Nazi’s wanted to “tame” people, make them docile like sheep, so we have Sodium Fluoride. Laugh, but it may just answer the question “Where is the RAGE?”

10. Warren Wilson, WWII Vet

Hello! Ben, it is a pleasure to meet a kindred soul. I served in the Army Amphibious Engineers in Europe when your dad was flying those missions over the Continent. Both of my sons are about ten years older than you. But we all are on the same page. It is sad that so many members of the younger generations have been badly mislead by the socialist teachers who now are in control of the system. Brainwashing is difficult if not impossible to reverse. But as more and more politicians in both major parties are being exposed as the lying, cheating, thieving traitors that they are, I see a faint glimmer of hope that John and Jane Doe might awaken soon from their apathetic stupor and smell the (Yiddish) coffee. The truth will set you free, and the Internet is a great conduit for disseminating the truth. Nothing is going to change for the better until the neo-cons have been deprived of their power.

11. Dick Dixon

There are many creatures on this forum lurking around trying to spam with loads of garbage to throw people off the subject matter…

They always have something in disagreement with Hero Ron Paul’s ideas, and bring up pages and pages of useless and meaningless crap.

Every topic has 3 to 5 of these rats, just read through the comments and it should become obvious.

They are working in teams, because they know, websites like this one are what they want to prevent…

They want to prevent the truth.

D. Dixon.

12. Old Ben Franklin

Give me liberty or give me death!

13. Old Ben Franklin

Dr. Paul is the voice of truth and reason. He is a man of honor. He is a man we can trust. But why is Washington not filled with men of his character? How do conniving liars and parasites like Hillary Clinton, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi manage to weasel their way into high office? It boggles the mind. Our “vetting” process for elected officials needs some serious changes.

Ron Paul for President in 2012!

1. Warren Wilson, WWII Vet

Dear Old Ben: How old are you–really? Probably not even close to my ripe old age of 87. But I can see you are a thinking man, which is all that matters. Ben, the Marxists have been working day and night for a century and a half, slowly, one small step at a time, preparing for the day when they could declare the U.S. Constitution null and void, and incorporate America into their NWO with headquarters in Tel Aviv. At least three generations of Americans have been dumbed down by the public school system, and that is why they have been conned into voting for the criminal traitors who currently are tending the store. There is no easy way out. Quite candidly I believe we are about to experience the Second American Revolution–not a pretty picture to be sure, but it is either fight to retain our freedom, or submit to slavery at the hands of the Jewish supremacists. I, for one, prefer death to slavery.

1. Old Ben Franklin

Hi Warren,

I was born in January 1949.

WWII vet, are you? My dad was a B-17 pilot stationed in England. He flew 16 missions over Germany. 306th Bomb Group, 367 Bomb Squadon. He died in August 2003.

I’ve been a student of economics, especially the history of currencies since I was in college, late 1960s. I can tell you this. GW Bush’s bailout package and Obama’s stimulus package are actually the same thing. They are both just massive devaluation of the American people’s money. Once these devaluations work their way into the economy, I’m fairly certain general prices will jump higher than ever before. I think this one reason Obama is in a hurry to create a national civilian security force — he’s not really afraid of terrorists, but he and the rest of them are very afraid of a uprising (2nd American revolution). If that happens and it’s successful, blood lines would be cut among the “elite” of the old regime in Washington, and they know it. There would be no other way to get rid of them.

These bums in Washington are trying to blame everything on Wall Street and other private entities, when in fact, the fiasco on Wall Street, etc. are only terrible symptoms. The real culprit and the root cause of these financial woes is (as Dr. Paul says) the U.S. Congress and the FED. They are a pretty slimly bunch on parasites (except Ron Paul and just a handfull of others).

These bums in Congress are conniving thieves and snakes-in-the-grass, trying to keep a very corrupt and parasitic gov’t regime of Washington insiders afloat at the expense of the people and their resources. The tragedy in all of this is the TV-drugged American public who believe that Obama is going to help them. No way! He’s out to save the federal fatcats and their interests at any expense to everyone and everything else!

So,

I say to everyone: begin by turning off that damn TV, and start reading about your elected officials in this country. They live the high-roller life on taxpayer’s money. Learn to read the actual Federal Budget documents for proof. It’s all there, hidden in reams of accounting documents. How about a $57,000 deck of gold plated playing cards for Air Force One? Just one item about thousands.

Old Ben.

14. Warren Wilson, WWII Vet

Everyone ought to read Ron Paul’s book, “The Revolution” (find it at Amazon). Ron is the smartest Rep in Congress–probably the only honest one in 435. He understands economics. Reps each have a $1 million expense account. He returns part of his to Treasury each year. He doesn’t accept annual cost-of-living pay increases. He doesn’t participate in lucrative Congressional pension program. He has never voted for a tax increase. He never votes for a bill that doesn’t comply with Constitutional requirements. What else do you need to know about this fine patriotic American citizen? Get hip, youngsters! When you reach my age (87) you’ll be smart, too (if you are still alive, that is–just don’t count on it).

15. ben

What is going on with the treasury? If they provide insufficient answers today in front of the senate committee on banking housing and urban affairs, we should just put Ron Paul in charge of it all.

16. Warren Wilson, WWII Vet

The Federal Reserve Bank is a private corporation that prints fiat money that is backed by nothing. The Fed lends this “money” to the U.S. government at an interest rate determined by the Fed. The loan must be repaid to the Fed with interest. The government doesn’t have any money except what it steals from us taxpayers. So we taxpayers are paying interest to the Fed for paper money that has no more intrinsic value than toilet paper. You might not like to to hear this, but it is true: The stockholders in the Fed are international banking dynasties such as the Rothschilds. It is because of the greed of these bankers that the world now is in an economic crisis far worse than the Great Depression. How do I know? I lived through the Great Depression, and I can tell you it was a cakewalk compared to what we face today. Here are a few things that didn’t exist during the Great Depression: Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, foreign aid, welfare, Fannie & Freddy guaranteed mortgages, credit cards, student loans, etc. American Blacks were segregated and had not yet become militant as many of them are today. And there weren’t 20 million illegal aliens who hate White Americans, who don’t want to assimilate, who take your jobs, who commit violent felony crimes such as murder, rape and child molestation. Just in case you don’t know, the Rothschilds are Jews, as are most of the principal owners of the Fed. Chairman Ben Bernanke is a Jew, as was his predecessor, Alan Greenspan. In fact every chairman of the Fed since its inception has been a Jew. Jews take care of their own, which is why the Jewish-owned Wall Street banksters (bankers-gangsters) have been bailed out, while you and I are picking up the tab. Such a deal, huh? Until you learn the history behind the Fed, you are not in a position to intelligently argue who and what brought on the financial meltdown. Oh, yeah! I forgot to mention, the crook Obama nominated for Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, Timothy Geithner, is a Jew who failed to pay a big chunk of income tax he owed–until he was nominated. Had he not been nominated, he never would have paid. Let you or me try cheating on our income tax, and we will cool our heels in the slammer. Now go to the library (those of you who can read) and check out some history books that were written before WWII. All the new books–the kind you read in school (those of you who can read) were written my Marxist conspirators (Jews) who tell you only what they want you to know. Did I mention that Geithner who cheated on his taxes, and only paid up after he was nominated as Secretary of the Treasury, is the guy who now is in charge of the IRS, the agency that collects income taxes from you and me?

1. Nate

With respect, I’ll take the value and discard the bigotry in your post.

1. Warren Wilson, WWII Vet

Nate (Short for Nathan, correct? Perhaps Jewish?) why do you accuse me of bigotry? Since when has telling the truth become bigotry? I merely tell the true facts as they are well documented. Abe Foxman and his goons at ADL have done an outstanding job of brainwahing most Americans. But I am not one of the sheeple. I am an intelligent person who thinks for myself. I have dealt with Jews on all levels throughout my long life (87 years). Every Jew I’ve ever known treated me as though I was intellectually inferior to him (or her). It is not my imagination. Incidentally, I am familiar with the Talmud, so Jewish supremacy is not a mystery to me.

1. Nate

Yes, short for Nathan. But not Jewish. I was baptizeed Catholic but no longer believe in gods. I’m sorry you had the misfortune of having every Jew you’ve met treat you as intellectually inferior. Have you met the “20 million illegal immigrants who hate Americans”? The bigotry comes from implying that a person’s faith/race/immigrant status is of any relevance at all in these matters. If we had reason to believe these people are motivated by their religion/race it would be a different story. But we have no evidence of that. It is enough to condemn the actions of people without mentioning their faith/race/immigrant status.

We have to start looking at each other as individuals not members of the groups into which we are born.

Bringing up faith, race, immigrant status, for no reason does nothing to advance the idea of personal liberty. Indeed, such talk marginalizes the message.

1. Warren Wilson, WWII Vet

Nathan, I mean no offense, but you simply do not have a firm grasp on the current world crisis. Until about ten years ago I had not been paying close attention. While I knew something was terribly wrong, I didn’t have a clue to the underlying cause of the problem. Then I began to explore the underground media, and soon began to realize that I, like most people, had been mesmerized and totally brainwashed by the mainstream media that is owned, edited and censored by the conspirators. It finally dawned on me that there actually was a conspiracy to destroy America as I had known it. But there were so many dots that had to be connected before the big picture came clearly into view. Please take my advice. visit http://www.anu.org and read three of four articles at random. At first you likely will be skeptical of what you read. Go back for a few minutes every day for a week. I predict your curiosity will prompt you to follow links that will lead you to an ever-expanding realm of knowledge to which you might never before have been exposed. Another good site is http://www.newswithviews.com … sure, you’ll run into kooks, but you’ll soon learn to separate the grain from the chaff. Anti-Semitism didn’t fall out of the wild blue yonder. There are many valid reasons why it exists. And I might add that the Jews have brought it upon themselves.

2. Nate

Mr. Wilson, you are not offending me in the slightest and I doubt you ever could. I just think your words are counterproductive and erode the message of freedom and liberty.

2. Mike D

Could you please elaborate on the militant blacks? I’d like to hear more on this topic. Can I guess you’re a Christian white male? I noticed you had nothing negative to say about them.

17. bobadi

One of the problems of adopting the gold standard is that it would inflate the price of precious metals beyond anyone’s ability to purchase it as there are far too many people in the world today.
    It would make those hording it extremely wealthy, and they would have to be in order to survive, because it would also cause extreme inflation in our economy as it is used in many of our most important industries, especially electronics.
    For an example, listen to jewelers; they were being driven out of business due to the price of metals, no one wanted to buy them at an inflated cost, can you imagine if that cost was driven up 500% or more? Remember we are not talking just jewelers, but nearly all major electronic industries.

1. Nate

You’re likely right there would be problems going back to the old system and Ron Paul argues that point. I don’t think they would be the specific problems you state but whatever.

But it is important to remember that there is no such thing as “the gold standard”. When people argue for the gold standard or a gold standard, they are pretty much arguing for commodity money/certificate money. The important thing is that money is a commodity or backed up by a commodity. Gold and silver tend to win out whenever and wherever they are available to be used as money. So really what Ron Paul is arguing for is sound money and a repeal legal tender laws and allow competing currencies. Let the market (the people) decide what money is best.

1. bobadi

Thanks for your reply.
        Where can I read about Ron Paul’s argument on this point? I would like to read this, as I do respect his opinion, even though I do not generally agree with everything he would implement.
        I understand that precious metals are a real and honest commodity, but if the US starts banking in it, you must realize that there will not be enough of any of it to satisfy our world masses, in a sense it would become a new Malthusian trap in reverse technology. This again will drive up the value of these metals to such an extent that this; our new age world capitalist manufacturing will become impossible…. perhaps this return to “antiquity” would actually be better for our world in view of our near complete ecological vitiation of it?
        Is this, what you are proposing; a new Luddite green world paradise?
        If so, I may well be in favor of it..

18. Anthony

Hey the Gold Standard? That’s what where talking about.

1. Meetra

I know, right……….

19. Warren Wilson, WWII Vet

Gabriel, thank you! Warren

20. Gabriel Gonzaga

true…

21. Warren Wilson, WWII Vet

Judaism no longer is a religion, it is a cult. Every Jew I’ve ever known in 87 years has been an atheist who proclaimed himself morally and intellectually superior to me. Anybody who cannot or will not recognize the current crisis having been precipitated by Marxist Jews needs a brain transplant. Look at Obama’s cabinet. Look at his staff. Look at the Fed. Look at Wall Street. What do you see? All I see is Jews. If you don’t see them, you are blind.

22. Anthony

Thank you, I’ll check them asap.

23. Kenny

Well I am very glad we have returned to the topic at hand. Essentially the problem is that our beloved country is no longer functioning under capitalism, but is everyday becoming more fascist and ipso facto more socialist. So really the problem is not necessarily the monetary standard but the interference of the government (even simple paper currency could work as a standard so long as it is generally excepted and not forced). Anyway, Anthony some good books to read would be Gold, Peace and Prosperity by Ron Paul and also The Gold Standard: Perspectives in the Austrian School by Lew Rockwell (I have not actually read the latter but I trust LR enough to know that it will definitely answer your questions.

24. Anthony

Now that the subject is back to where it should have been from the beging, what is every is everyone’s ideas on how to fix the problem at hand. I don’t know to much about the gold standard? What are good books to read to better inform my self on this topic.

1. Meetra

The gold standard was what was used to back up our currency. simple put: one dollar bill was backed up by a dollar’s worth of gold by the US treasury. At one point there was a shortage of gold and so silver was in the mix. Most of the transition away from the gold standard was due to FD Roosevelt and the new deal. The government started printing money on credit that was backed up by investors. It is really complicated any further into the subject.
      In addition to other suggestions, anything you can find on global economics post WWII; like the Bretton Woods agreement will help you understand why this is such a big deal right now. We are basically out of credit for which the US can print money.

2. Tim Singleton

I think hard money has always been a mix of gold, silver, and copper. You cannot have one because while gold is divisible to really fine amounts, it becomes impractical past a point. Silver and copper make good alternates for smaller values or always have in the past. I will take payment in any of the three or any other high value metal, LOL.

I don’t think you can cold turkey anything here. Congress has to force the Fed to accept competing currencies, though. Anything else will not work. The Fed will fight because as everybody knows, good money will drive out bad money. I have my doubts about whether a competing currency such as hard money would improve the dollar’s value by virtue of competition, though. I think it would just inspire more machinations from the Fed against our economy.

25. voodootree

It is regrettable that the issue of returning to a fair monetary system has been dragged into the territory of anti-semetic rhetoric. There are conspirators, yes. There are conspirators for every single thing that that we do on purpose. For example: just this morning, my son and I conspired to have breakfast. But the conspirators are not all jews, as Warren suggests. I would wager that many of them are convinced that their system will actually work even, and that they aren’t in the least sinister – thay are just wrong. Further, I wouldn’t doubt (on the subject of conspiracies) that Warren’s entire purpose is to “taint” this discussion (and thus the entire topic of a gold standard) by bringing in this anti-Jewish nonsense. Regardless of purpose, that is what he has done.

So – Warren: IF you would like to help bring the national conversation concerning a return to a gold standard into the light, you need to stop it with that.

26. Ken

Our men and women in the military are strong, courageous and believe in the constitution and what it stands for. I think they need to be brought back home so they can take a stand against those destroying America. It almost seems they are purposely sent to far away lands outside of our borders so their voices will not be heard as America is being destroyed from within.

1. Tim Singleton

Now, THAT is the most interesting thing I have read today.

27. Anthony

Thank you, why should we hate more when hatred is the problem in this world. I’m young and I know I have a lot to learn. One thing I do know is that we need to stop piling ignorance on top of ignorance, and by blaming one religion is not going to stop that.

28. Jesse

You have to engage…This means turning off the TV lifting your ass off the couch picking up the telephone and telling your gov’t officials what you want…It also means voting for congressman and women who are actually qualified…Because very few people in Washington know very little about balancing a budget the door is wide open…Do your home work next election and find out who are the fiscally responsible candidates…Real change can only occur when the establishment of life time politicians are voted out of office…Restore the republic!!!!

29. Judy

In my opinion,Anthony is right. Warren is wrong. Look around and blame anyone you choose. Warren says it’s the Jews. Did anyone make you choose to believe them? We all choose what to believe and then act upon our beliefs. Just like now, some are rushing out to buy gold because some are saying that will solve the problems. The only happy people I see are the ones who are ignoring it all and always have. They go about each day working, eating, laughing, enjoying their families and saying we want no part of the material craziness. We just want to be free to enjoy life our way. We are bombarded with media, marketing, etc. When we are young, we get caught up in that and fall victim to it. As we get older, we mature and learn the truth and reject it. The youth will always do this. It is youthful nature. We who are older need to take a stand now and preserve our liberties for our children and grandchildren. The greedy ones put their faith into believing they can con us into this material system. We need to say no! We do need to ignore them. At the same time, we need to pay attention to saving our constitution and our way of life. I don’t worry about the economy. If need be, people will return to local farming co-ops and such things. This would be a good thing. People will not be dependent (slaves) to the government and the financiers. They will depend on themselves and their families. I think the liberals are imploding. Just a little while longer and we’ll see big change for the better.

30. Anthony

I’m not saying ignore them, i’m saying that you cannot inspire fear into people like you are about a religion who is the oldest religion in the world.Not paying attention is not ignoring them just don’t listen to what they say. How do plain on fixing this problem by inforcing more laws and more governent. Maybe you should get your hard out of your ass. What you say is very afensive to me and millions out there who belive in free people.

31. Warren Wilson, WWII Vet

What do you mean, our best response is to ignore them? Don’t you understand that the conspirators are the Jewish, Marxist Zionists who literally own Congress, the White House, the Treasury, the Fed, Wall Street, the media, the Hollywood propaganda mill, the Ivy League thinks tanks, the public school system, etc.? Where in the hell are you coming from? Get your stupid head out of your rectum, and smell the YIDDISH coffee! It is the JEWS, stupid!

1. Tim Singleton

I will be more blunt. To state that it is the Jews is not only incorrect, it is stupid and works against the cause of going back to sound money. Take your anti-semitism somewhere else.

“IT IS THE JEWS!” you cry and bang, ears and minds close, as they should, to anything else you have to say.

Those who instigated a fiat currency are godless and amoral. As to your service, well, I appreciate it. Now, go clear out the shellshock of disinformation that has you working against your own best self-interests. Four of my great uncles were in Normandy on D-Day and none of them run around hollering about Jews, even David White, the second American to be greeted by the Queen. What he DID see was a war torn apart by central banks and greed and he spared no pains educating me about it.

32. Warren Wilson, WWII Vet

We concur, but our voices fall on deaf ears. Figuratively deaf, that is, because the Marxist conspirators have brainwashed and made dumb two generations of Americans who now have their heads buried in their rectums and don’t know up from down. Only when we all have courage to bluntly state that “conspirators” and “Jews” are synonymous terms might we begin to make progress. The Jews who totally control government, business, the media and the Hollywood propaganda mill must be removed from power. No, I’m not suggesting genocide, but thus far my nimble brain hasn’t conceived of viable alternatives. Who among readers can offer optional methods?

1. Anthony

I give the most respect to you for fighting for this nation of ours. I do agree that we need to take the power back from these “conspiraitors” you talk about, but the best way to take there power away is by paying no attention to them. As a young adult (20) it is a hard battle but I know the outcome will be very rewarding to our society and for our freedom. With remorse as a person who belives in the right to choose what relgion they can follow we cannot blame it on one. Who gives the power to those few we do, with years of appatiy and following and not caring. We are the ones who are responsable.

33. Anthony

Once again Ron is right, we need to trash the fed and go back to gold. People wake up please 2012 is right around the corner and this is the man we need in office for real “change”.

34. Mike

Crazy! The gold standard getting play on national television! The times they are a changin!

35. bring back the gold standard!

History has taught us that fiat paper doesn’t last. Bring the gold back!

1 2 3 4