Ron Paul Didn’t Expect This Response From Hillary Clinton

Date: 4/22/2009
Venue: House Foreign Affairs Committee
Channel: C-SPAN 3

Transcript:

Howard Berman: The gentleman from Texas, Mr. Paul, is recognized for five minutes.

Ron Paul: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. And welcome, Madame Secretary.

I have a general question I want to ask about foreign policy, but leading up to that question I would like to mention first that the election had something to do with bringing about change in tone with our foreign policy. And I think there have been some very positive changes in tone and many of us have argued for more diplomacy rather than more threats, so many of us are pleased with that. It goes back to the old saying of, “Speaking softly and still be willing to carry a big stick”. But sometimes I wonder whether that big stick doesn’t get wielded a little too often.

But I do want to caution all of us that what we say is very important and can be very beneficial, but what we do is also very important. So that may cancel out the benefits of speaking more softly and being willing to talk and negotiate. Some people say that we shouldn’t talk to our enemies, but I remember the cold war rather well, and we did talk to kruchev and Mao Tse Tung when they were great threats to us. So, sometimes I think that when we look at how we stood up to tens of thousands of nuclear weapons, that we should be cautious as far as what we might do in Pakistan and put it into a proper perspective.

But my big concern is whether or not we can reverse the empire mentality that I think we have adopted over these many, many decades, and also the relationship of this to our financial burden. Though we are speaking more softly and would like to get some troops home, the first thing that was done was that our DOD budget was increased by 9% in a time when our national debt in the last 12 months went up 2 trillion dollars.

All great nations have been brought to their knees for economic reasons. We didn’t have to fight the Soviets. The Afghanistan adventure that the Soviets were involved with was very significant and I don’t know how we can ignore that.

So, I would like to ask the question about whether or not you can give me some signs or indications or some encouragement that maybe we shifted policies in the slightest manner. Have we brought any troops home? Are we less involved in Iraq? Will that war ever end? Or we really going in the opposite direction because we’re seeing Pakistan as so necessary, we need more troops, more expansion, more money, more DOD funds.

So, coming from my perspective I can’t see the difference even though, like I said, I am pleased that there is a willingness to talk and try to work things out and I think that is very positive. I always think that people who aren’t willing to talk are insecure. This whole idea that we are so strong, to me, it seems that we lack confidence if we can’t talk to people. And we are strong enough. Nobody is going to attack us militarily.

So, I see it as very important that we change our tone. I think it’s good that you got rid of the term “war on terrorism”. How can you have a war against a tactic? It doesn’t make any sense. But I am not sure “overseas contingency operation” is more specific. So could you address that and maybe give me some answers that maybe we may be seeing actually some shift in our policy.

Hillary Clinton: Well, thank you, Congressman. I think that the president’s actions in these nearly 100 days do match actions with words, although I admit there is a lot more to be done. We are still sorting out everything we’ve inherited and trying to make sense of it. We want to protect America’s national security, but we think there are better and more effective ways of doing that. So we are ending the war in Iraq. There is a definite end date for our troops to be there. The president did close Guantanamo. The president is looking for ways to engage with those who nobody wanted us to talk to, which is a sea shift in how we are proceeding.

Words and actions both matter. I mean, at the end of the day actions count more. But you have to begin by at least articulating a new approach. In our budget we have asked for more money for diplomacy and development. And the budget committee, in both the house and the senate, cut back the president’s request. It’s kind of old thinking, in my view. I mean, the secretary of defense has said that there are fewer foreign Service diplomats posted oversees than there are sailors and marines on one aircraft carrier. There are more musicians in the military bands than there are diplomats across the board. So, we are trying to shift this gigantic ship of state, Mr. Paul. And we are looking for your help to do so.

And at the risk of going over our time, I just want to say having campaigned during the last presidential election, you had the most enthusiastic supporters of anybody I ever saw.

Ron Paul: I love to hear that.

Hillary Clinton: Well, I mean, my goodness! Everywhere I went they were literally running down highways holding your signs. So, I’ve never had a chance to tell you that, but your message obviously resonated with a lot of people.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

Howard Berman: You’re going to encourage him.

1,518 Comments:

1. YES..THE USA SHOULD TORTURE AND KIDNAP MORE INNOCENT PEOPLE AND BOMB FROM THE AIR MORE WOMEN AND CHILDREN AROUND THE WORLD...THAT HAS WORKED SO WELL AND THOSE WARS THAT NEVER END ARE SO GOOD FOR YOUR HALIBURTON STOCK

2. Fair enough. But that he injected a few questions, and then continued rambling on - leaving those questions behind - without giving her *then* a chance to answer them, is even worse.
    Whatever - my gripe here is over trivialities.

3. Then you didn't listen that well, because he asked a few questions leading into the main question. Not trying to be disrespectful, but he certainly asked a couple of questions.

4. Ok Dude, Obama didn't pull the trigger. He gave the order. He said he'd close Gitmo and end the war in Iraq. Our nations ungodly debt is the result of over a decade fighting two wars. Combined with the house of cards falling down on Wall Street after the effects of 25ys of deregulation showed its ugly head. Yeah I'm glad a liberal "elitist" is My president. Smart enough to be elected president of his class at Harvard Law School. He grew up humbly enough to care about "common folk".

5. AMERICA sucks b/c Americans suck a 1/3 of us are so fat we have heath problems b/c of it. Most of us get news from fox and cnn both are a joke. And worst of all if you ask people most of them say that somthing has to happen to get the Gov back on track, but good luck getting enough stupid fat Americans off their ass' to change anything

6. I want to move to Texas and have this guy for my President. Period. He always has the best grasp, from a moderate's perspective, on what has transpired and the consequences of our current actions on the future.

7. Yeah, GTMO is closed, Russia is our partner, China is respecting its neighbors, Iran and N. Korea have given up their nuclear programs, and the Middle East is free. All we had to do was bomb them and place sanctions. Oh wait...oh, and we're in debt now? Well shit son, at least the talking wouldn't have bankrupted us!

8. No, Most college Eco. is the same force fed, bias based Keynesian economics bullshit that brought this county to it's knees. Ron Paul is on the right track with his Austrian Eco. thinking which emphasizes on laissez faire and minimal government intervention on the economy.

9. No, Most college Eco. is the same force fed, bias based Keynesian economics bullshit that brought this county to it's knees. Ron Paul is on the right track with his Austrian Eco. thinking which emphasizes on laissez faire and minimal government intervention on the economy.

10. If Hillary Clinton kisses your ass, it means you have power and influence and she would rather not be fucked with by you.

11. Good. Stay out!

12. the economy is the least of my worries now.

13. The President DID NOT close Guantanamo.

14. I'm at the 3 minute mark, and this gasbag hasn't gotten to his question yet. I'm out...

15. Because no matter how often he is right, he is fundamentally wrong on the economy and finance. He doesn't know how it works - and neither does anyone who hasn't studied it. You can't learn it from the news, you can't figure it out on your own, and you can't learn it from Ron Paul. It's unfortunate, but he really needs to go back to college. I wish he would..

16. I'm so relieved Gitmo is closed, no wait my bad.

17. hillery learned to lie so well when she was the first lady.

18. Yeah don't "encourage" the serfs.... Bahahahahaha! f'n sociopathic war profiteering black widow drug-running, money-laundering dragon lady... I hope a f'g safe falls on her head....

19. Ron Paul is a God among men

20. Obama did not kill bin laden dude. The soldiers did all the work he just watched and claimed he did it. Gitmo has nothing to do with Obama . Obama is very weak on defense policies and totally sucks on federal spending. He is a spending disaster!