Ron Paul Didn’t Expect This Response From Hillary Clinton

Date: 4/22/2009
Venue: House Foreign Affairs Committee
Channel: C-SPAN 3

Transcript:

Howard Berman: The gentleman from Texas, Mr. Paul, is recognized for five minutes.

Ron Paul: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. And welcome, Madame Secretary.

I have a general question I want to ask about foreign policy, but leading up to that question I would like to mention first that the election had something to do with bringing about change in tone with our foreign policy. And I think there have been some very positive changes in tone and many of us have argued for more diplomacy rather than more threats, so many of us are pleased with that. It goes back to the old saying of, “Speaking softly and still be willing to carry a big stick”. But sometimes I wonder whether that big stick doesn’t get wielded a little too often.

But I do want to caution all of us that what we say is very important and can be very beneficial, but what we do is also very important. So that may cancel out the benefits of speaking more softly and being willing to talk and negotiate. Some people say that we shouldn’t talk to our enemies, but I remember the cold war rather well, and we did talk to kruchev and Mao Tse Tung when they were great threats to us. So, sometimes I think that when we look at how we stood up to tens of thousands of nuclear weapons, that we should be cautious as far as what we might do in Pakistan and put it into a proper perspective.

But my big concern is whether or not we can reverse the empire mentality that I think we have adopted over these many, many decades, and also the relationship of this to our financial burden. Though we are speaking more softly and would like to get some troops home, the first thing that was done was that our DOD budget was increased by 9% in a time when our national debt in the last 12 months went up 2 trillion dollars.

All great nations have been brought to their knees for economic reasons. We didn’t have to fight the Soviets. The Afghanistan adventure that the Soviets were involved with was very significant and I don’t know how we can ignore that.

So, I would like to ask the question about whether or not you can give me some signs or indications or some encouragement that maybe we shifted policies in the slightest manner. Have we brought any troops home? Are we less involved in Iraq? Will that war ever end? Or we really going in the opposite direction because we’re seeing Pakistan as so necessary, we need more troops, more expansion, more money, more DOD funds.

So, coming from my perspective I can’t see the difference even though, like I said, I am pleased that there is a willingness to talk and try to work things out and I think that is very positive. I always think that people who aren’t willing to talk are insecure. This whole idea that we are so strong, to me, it seems that we lack confidence if we can’t talk to people. And we are strong enough. Nobody is going to attack us militarily.

So, I see it as very important that we change our tone. I think it’s good that you got rid of the term “war on terrorism”. How can you have a war against a tactic? It doesn’t make any sense. But I am not sure “overseas contingency operation” is more specific. So could you address that and maybe give me some answers that maybe we may be seeing actually some shift in our policy.

Hillary Clinton: Well, thank you, Congressman. I think that the president’s actions in these nearly 100 days do match actions with words, although I admit there is a lot more to be done. We are still sorting out everything we’ve inherited and trying to make sense of it. We want to protect America’s national security, but we think there are better and more effective ways of doing that. So we are ending the war in Iraq. There is a definite end date for our troops to be there. The president did close Guantanamo. The president is looking for ways to engage with those who nobody wanted us to talk to, which is a sea shift in how we are proceeding.

Words and actions both matter. I mean, at the end of the day actions count more. But you have to begin by at least articulating a new approach. In our budget we have asked for more money for diplomacy and development. And the budget committee, in both the house and the senate, cut back the president’s request. It’s kind of old thinking, in my view. I mean, the secretary of defense has said that there are fewer foreign Service diplomats posted oversees than there are sailors and marines on one aircraft carrier. There are more musicians in the military bands than there are diplomats across the board. So, we are trying to shift this gigantic ship of state, Mr. Paul. And we are looking for your help to do so.

And at the risk of going over our time, I just want to say having campaigned during the last presidential election, you had the most enthusiastic supporters of anybody I ever saw.

Ron Paul: I love to hear that.

Hillary Clinton: Well, I mean, my goodness! Everywhere I went they were literally running down highways holding your signs. So, I’ve never had a chance to tell you that, but your message obviously resonated with a lot of people.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

Howard Berman: You’re going to encourage him.

1,518 Comments:

1. Went to the wiki site and first paragraph says Gitmo is not closed. In fact if you do a news search you find that it is still open because crap about not being able to transfer all the prisoners to a facility within our borders.

2. "The president did closed Guantanamo,..."
    wikileaks(dot)org/gitmo/

3. "The president did closed Guantanamo,..."
    wikileaks(dot)org/gitmo/

4. What the fuck I just heard that too? Seriously? Did she just say that?

5. Well he thought about it...

6. Well he thought about it...

7. : Obama closed Gitmo?! How did I miss that?

8. Your argument is based off a fallacy. Most historians agree a true laissez-faire free-market economy has never existed.... Its also funny how all you say is "he is wrong". What specifically is he wrong about? Can you provide any precise examples? You couldn't possibly be advocating more central economic planning could you?

9. After reading more of your comments I question whether or not your education in economics required diversity in thought. It seems you have only learned from one model in economics - the Keynesian view of dynamic efficiency. I find it very interesting because the institution I attended required you take several coarses not only on Keynesian models, but also Austrian and Classical. Without this diversity one cannot understand entrepreneurial economics; which Ron Paul typically cites.

10. I have read it, and it doesn't work. Never has, never will....it's truly that simple

11. I have read it, and it doesn't work. Never has, never will....it's truly that simple

12. Ron Paul is a great man, it's a shame people like me never took notice until 2011, I lived in Texas but never went outside the main stream, they spoke as if he was a radiclist but it was them, the main stream who were lying to gain more control over us.

13. Ron Paul is a great man, it's a shame people like me never took notice until 2011, I lived in Texas but never went outside the main stream, they spoke as if he was a radiclist but it was them, the main stream who were lying to gain more control over us.

14. I read the "general theory" and have a bachelors degree in economics ( with most classes taken being grad/undergrad classes - and let me tell you, Keynesian economics does not work in the long run - it is a short run model that ends the same way every time in the long run.

15. It wasn't a question friend, it was a statement of fact.

Ron Paul is a good man, but he is wrong about the economy. His policies have been tried, and it is fondly referred to as the Dark Ages. Not generally a good time for the average Joe.

Keynesian economics actually works - as long as you don't have a pack of Con hicks using it to transfer wealth from those who produce it to those who simply hold money while running up the deficit and off-shoring production. Try actually reading Keynes.

16. GLOBAL EMPIRES ALWAYS FIND TROUBLE...CAUSE THEY NEVER STAY HOME.....THE DEBATE OVER WHETHER OR NOT THE USA SHOULD BE AN EMPIRE WAS SETTLED 100 YEARS AGO....AND IT HAS BEEN A BAD COURSE OF ACTION.....THE SOCIOPATHS THAT RUN THE USA HAVE MADE BAD CHOICE AFTER BAD CHOICE AND ARE CROOKS AND LIARS.....BELIEVE ME,,,THE SOCIOPATHS THAT RUN THE USA ARE A BIGGER THREAT TO YOUR LIFE AND FREEDOM THAN ANY ARAB EVER COULD BE....EVER HEARD OF ED BERNAYS? ..OR OPERATION AJAX? ...DONT FALL FOR PROPAGANDA

17. When the Saudi's started paying Wahhabi's to leave them alone after 1979's Grand Mosque seizure in Mecca, and when we helped the Mujahideen believe they and Allah had brought down a superpower, the perfect radical extremist storm was created. Now there's an entire generation of Muslims whose only education--if they had any--was memorizing the Koran and internalizing radical interpretations. We can pour more sand around our necks or pull our heads out, and look at the world as it really is.

18. gitmo...LOL

19. Guantanamo Bay is Closed?..WTF who is running it now then G4S? *Facepalm*

20. Gitmo was closed?!...did anyone tell THEM that?!