Ron Paul Didn’t Expect This Response From Hillary Clinton

Date: 4/22/2009
Venue: House Foreign Affairs Committee
Channel: C-SPAN 3

Transcript:

Howard Berman: The gentleman from Texas, Mr. Paul, is recognized for five minutes.

Ron Paul: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. And welcome, Madame Secretary.

I have a general question I want to ask about foreign policy, but leading up to that question I would like to mention first that the election had something to do with bringing about change in tone with our foreign policy. And I think there have been some very positive changes in tone and many of us have argued for more diplomacy rather than more threats, so many of us are pleased with that. It goes back to the old saying of, “Speaking softly and still be willing to carry a big stick”. But sometimes I wonder whether that big stick doesn’t get wielded a little too often.

But I do want to caution all of us that what we say is very important and can be very beneficial, but what we do is also very important. So that may cancel out the benefits of speaking more softly and being willing to talk and negotiate. Some people say that we shouldn’t talk to our enemies, but I remember the cold war rather well, and we did talk to kruchev and Mao Tse Tung when they were great threats to us. So, sometimes I think that when we look at how we stood up to tens of thousands of nuclear weapons, that we should be cautious as far as what we might do in Pakistan and put it into a proper perspective.

But my big concern is whether or not we can reverse the empire mentality that I think we have adopted over these many, many decades, and also the relationship of this to our financial burden. Though we are speaking more softly and would like to get some troops home, the first thing that was done was that our DOD budget was increased by 9% in a time when our national debt in the last 12 months went up 2 trillion dollars.

All great nations have been brought to their knees for economic reasons. We didn’t have to fight the Soviets. The Afghanistan adventure that the Soviets were involved with was very significant and I don’t know how we can ignore that.

So, I would like to ask the question about whether or not you can give me some signs or indications or some encouragement that maybe we shifted policies in the slightest manner. Have we brought any troops home? Are we less involved in Iraq? Will that war ever end? Or we really going in the opposite direction because we’re seeing Pakistan as so necessary, we need more troops, more expansion, more money, more DOD funds.

So, coming from my perspective I can’t see the difference even though, like I said, I am pleased that there is a willingness to talk and try to work things out and I think that is very positive. I always think that people who aren’t willing to talk are insecure. This whole idea that we are so strong, to me, it seems that we lack confidence if we can’t talk to people. And we are strong enough. Nobody is going to attack us militarily.

So, I see it as very important that we change our tone. I think it’s good that you got rid of the term “war on terrorism”. How can you have a war against a tactic? It doesn’t make any sense. But I am not sure “overseas contingency operation” is more specific. So could you address that and maybe give me some answers that maybe we may be seeing actually some shift in our policy.

Hillary Clinton: Well, thank you, Congressman. I think that the president’s actions in these nearly 100 days do match actions with words, although I admit there is a lot more to be done. We are still sorting out everything we’ve inherited and trying to make sense of it. We want to protect America’s national security, but we think there are better and more effective ways of doing that. So we are ending the war in Iraq. There is a definite end date for our troops to be there. The president did close Guantanamo. The president is looking for ways to engage with those who nobody wanted us to talk to, which is a sea shift in how we are proceeding.

Words and actions both matter. I mean, at the end of the day actions count more. But you have to begin by at least articulating a new approach. In our budget we have asked for more money for diplomacy and development. And the budget committee, in both the house and the senate, cut back the president’s request. It’s kind of old thinking, in my view. I mean, the secretary of defense has said that there are fewer foreign Service diplomats posted oversees than there are sailors and marines on one aircraft carrier. There are more musicians in the military bands than there are diplomats across the board. So, we are trying to shift this gigantic ship of state, Mr. Paul. And we are looking for your help to do so.

And at the risk of going over our time, I just want to say having campaigned during the last presidential election, you had the most enthusiastic supporters of anybody I ever saw.

Ron Paul: I love to hear that.

Hillary Clinton: Well, I mean, my goodness! Everywhere I went they were literally running down highways holding your signs. So, I’ve never had a chance to tell you that, but your message obviously resonated with a lot of people.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

Howard Berman: You’re going to encourage him.

1,518 Comments:

1. lol now that is propoganda. and please explain to me why me finding many flaws in the gold standard makes me an idiot or is propoganda. really I would like to know

2. I'm a die-hard left winger but damn Ron Paul is intelligent an makes some good points

3. Yes you are an idiot. Using a gold standard will not fuck up the country. That's nothing but propaganda. Every paper money system has failed in the past and it's failing again now. There are lots of economists coming out and talking about how we should switch to a gold standard. Inflation would stop and it would drive prices back down to where they should be. And how exactly do you suggest we make the global economy stronger? Print more money and devalue our dollar even more than it already is?

4. yes, but we have quite permantent borders now, we cannot create new gold out of nothing so if a disaster happens we are screwed which is what happened to 'peacefull' societies in the past. Also look at Spain, used to be a superpower, they used the Gold standard, and that screwed up their country 300 years later, I LIKE THE GOLD STANDARD, but it is not the best we can do, neither is the current system, but the gold standard is soooo very flawed

5. BULLSHIT.. Guantanamo Bay is still open.

6. She's a fool, yeah those people are out of place because the Corporate rulers oppress the people!

7. I love Ron Paul.

8. she's a nightmare!

9. The only downside to gold standard is it restricts growth to the amount of backed currency the nation has. In other words, the nation can't grow on credit... but the upside is that inflation doesn't exist as we see it today... so fixed incomes and savings would be better than any interest rate in today's market.

10. The only downside to gold standard is it restricts growth to the amount of backed currency the nation has. In other words, the nation can't grow on credit... but the upside is that inflation doesn't exist as we see it today... so fixed incomes and savings would be better than any interest rate in today's market.

11. Gold/Silver or other precious metals. The term GOLD standard isn't always literally meant as GOLD only (sometimes its silver, etc)

12. Governments faced with the need to fund high level expenditures, but with limited source of tax revenue. In order to finance the cost of war, most countries went off the gold standard during the war, and suffered drastic... which caused drastic inflation - making it difficult to return to. The only real downside is that a gold standard requires that money be backed in the metal, then the scarcity of the metal limits the ability of the economy to produce more capital and grow.

13. Europe used gold and silver standards for hundreds of years. The US used silver standard for roughly 100 years. If you date back far enough the gold/silver (or similar variations) standard was the only standard to exist. Printed money became popular as banks grew as profits in the banking system begin to grow exponentially if not on a set standard.

14. Quran 3:110
    Ye are the best of peoples, evolved for mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and believing in Allah. If only the People of the Book had faith, it were best for them: AMONG THEM ARE SOME WHO HAVE FAITH, BUT MOST OF THEM ARE PERVERTED TRANSGRESSORS.

I have no doubt that only A FEW Jews are moral and do not support Zionist-Messianic spreading of corruption and perversions, but most Jews are corrupt transgressors.

15. 2 THE member RINGThere are too other toys per 100,000 multitude.
    Sticking it in between the mattress, he likes to at your company to pay bills or get a unloosen toy of your
    own. With the stage of uncensored fame wardrobe malfunctions, it begs the question whether these do work that is out Thither that I'd like for others to reckon Buying. Zgleda, in meni, kot jaz, zato vem, sedaj lahko prekleta ljubezen mi jih bo moja izdelavo Brooke Skye Fleshlight.

16. Im a Jew and I want Ron Paul to be the president!

17. "You're gonna encourage him.....to fix this mess that you and your ilk have created"

18. The gold standard has not failed, but the people have failed to maintain control of the government and its monetary policy. The federal reserve is a cartel of privately owned banks, some of them foreign banks that have taken control of U.S. and European monetary policy

19. so the solution: STOP HAVING WAR

20. Honestly the state of the Euro is weak along with the dollar, everyone is borrowing from everyone else with no way to pay anyone back. Call me crazy, but I'm predicting that in the next 4 years the dollar/Euro is going to collapse

You're probably right about the greed, but since the into of the FED in the US in 1913, moving away from the G.S., we've been pretty much in a continuous state of war/world policing which is adding to the debt at an unsustainable right now and won't last much longer