Ron Paul Didn’t Expect This Response From Hillary Clinton

Date: 4/22/2009
Venue: House Foreign Affairs Committee
Channel: C-SPAN 3

Transcript:

Howard Berman: The gentleman from Texas, Mr. Paul, is recognized for five minutes.

Ron Paul: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. And welcome, Madame Secretary.

I have a general question I want to ask about foreign policy, but leading up to that question I would like to mention first that the election had something to do with bringing about change in tone with our foreign policy. And I think there have been some very positive changes in tone and many of us have argued for more diplomacy rather than more threats, so many of us are pleased with that. It goes back to the old saying of, “Speaking softly and still be willing to carry a big stick”. But sometimes I wonder whether that big stick doesn’t get wielded a little too often.

But I do want to caution all of us that what we say is very important and can be very beneficial, but what we do is also very important. So that may cancel out the benefits of speaking more softly and being willing to talk and negotiate. Some people say that we shouldn’t talk to our enemies, but I remember the cold war rather well, and we did talk to kruchev and Mao Tse Tung when they were great threats to us. So, sometimes I think that when we look at how we stood up to tens of thousands of nuclear weapons, that we should be cautious as far as what we might do in Pakistan and put it into a proper perspective.

But my big concern is whether or not we can reverse the empire mentality that I think we have adopted over these many, many decades, and also the relationship of this to our financial burden. Though we are speaking more softly and would like to get some troops home, the first thing that was done was that our DOD budget was increased by 9% in a time when our national debt in the last 12 months went up 2 trillion dollars.

All great nations have been brought to their knees for economic reasons. We didn’t have to fight the Soviets. The Afghanistan adventure that the Soviets were involved with was very significant and I don’t know how we can ignore that.

So, I would like to ask the question about whether or not you can give me some signs or indications or some encouragement that maybe we shifted policies in the slightest manner. Have we brought any troops home? Are we less involved in Iraq? Will that war ever end? Or we really going in the opposite direction because we’re seeing Pakistan as so necessary, we need more troops, more expansion, more money, more DOD funds.

So, coming from my perspective I can’t see the difference even though, like I said, I am pleased that there is a willingness to talk and try to work things out and I think that is very positive. I always think that people who aren’t willing to talk are insecure. This whole idea that we are so strong, to me, it seems that we lack confidence if we can’t talk to people. And we are strong enough. Nobody is going to attack us militarily.

So, I see it as very important that we change our tone. I think it’s good that you got rid of the term “war on terrorism”. How can you have a war against a tactic? It doesn’t make any sense. But I am not sure “overseas contingency operation” is more specific. So could you address that and maybe give me some answers that maybe we may be seeing actually some shift in our policy.

Hillary Clinton: Well, thank you, Congressman. I think that the president’s actions in these nearly 100 days do match actions with words, although I admit there is a lot more to be done. We are still sorting out everything we’ve inherited and trying to make sense of it. We want to protect America’s national security, but we think there are better and more effective ways of doing that. So we are ending the war in Iraq. There is a definite end date for our troops to be there. The president did close Guantanamo. The president is looking for ways to engage with those who nobody wanted us to talk to, which is a sea shift in how we are proceeding.

Words and actions both matter. I mean, at the end of the day actions count more. But you have to begin by at least articulating a new approach. In our budget we have asked for more money for diplomacy and development. And the budget committee, in both the house and the senate, cut back the president’s request. It’s kind of old thinking, in my view. I mean, the secretary of defense has said that there are fewer foreign Service diplomats posted oversees than there are sailors and marines on one aircraft carrier. There are more musicians in the military bands than there are diplomats across the board. So, we are trying to shift this gigantic ship of state, Mr. Paul. And we are looking for your help to do so.

And at the risk of going over our time, I just want to say having campaigned during the last presidential election, you had the most enthusiastic supporters of anybody I ever saw.

Ron Paul: I love to hear that.

Hillary Clinton: Well, I mean, my goodness! Everywhere I went they were literally running down highways holding your signs. So, I’ve never had a chance to tell you that, but your message obviously resonated with a lot of people.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

Howard Berman: You’re going to encourage him.

1,518 Comments:

1. i think he wanted to beat romeny first then take out obama one on one. but i agree lol.

2. EXACTLY.
    BY NOW EVERYBODY CAN SEE THAT HE IS TOTALLY CONTROLLED.
    CONTROLLED OPPOSITION.
    THE WAY THEY ARE LAUGHING AT THE END SHOWS IT ALL.
    ALL PAID THUGS.

3. WOW the president closed gitmo? When was this ?

4. When was WWI? They have been raping us ever since that war. How much have they done since. If Ron Paul is too afraid to even mention a crime they committed let alone who did it. He Wouldn't even say 9/11 was an inside job. Many times they'll say that there are eveil people that do this, but not one politiician will even mention it. If 9/11 they had only caused ona buildng to collapse,and not the enormous damage they had done and then blame the Arabs for it and then go to war

5. What has you being black got to do with it? I don't care a fart in a jacuzzi what race you are. Or Obama. Or Paul.

6. Man, its got to be baby steps. Anyone who speaks the truth about the zionists and their relationship with our foreign policy has no chance to make ANY change. So we have to take what we can get and hope for the best... Ron Paul is the best we've got.

7. You dont see Obama on here trying to talk about fixing problems openly..

8. Ron Paul yeah our hero. What did he say about Waco and Oklahoma City and nothing about 9/11, but he was acting tough and wanted to abolish the federal reserve and audit the IRS. So the ones that committed 9/11 were even more powerful than our federal government and that had to be Jewish bankers. Ron Paul was just someone for you to think he would get tough. If so he should have stood on Capitol Hill and said the Israeli Mossad committed 9/11 and George Bush was involved, but nothing

9. The Israelis kill our politicians and it works they get what they want. So could it work for the citizens of this country? The relatives of the politicians who keep fucking us need to be targeted. If a politicians relatives had their shit fucked up and told if their ignorant treasonist relative lies and causes harm to this country that they will be targets, then things will change. Politicians would be hard to get up close and personal with. They think they are better than you

10. I'm a fool when I eat out whores and a liar when I deny it. Nothing I write is alive the terrorists are our own government and when should have already hanged the politicians and the ones who committed the murder against those children in Waco and because we did nothing they murdered more in Oklahoma City. BATF agents put bombs on the columns. A fertilizer bomb did not knock down the columns. This means those against are guilty of murder These against are retiring around Oklahoma go get them

11. You're either a fool or a liar.

12. I didn't say anything about evil Republicans. The Senate vote was 90-6 against the transfers.

13. When was Guantanamo closed.

14. You guys fall for this shit. DId Ron Paul every stand up and say you crooked bastards I will have the American people back me and we will take you bastards down? I mean if Ron Paul sits there and doesn't get something changed, then does it mean anything? What did he have to say about Waco, Oklahoma City bombing and 9'11? When will he every say anything? If Ron Paul was ever a threat they would have gotten rid of him. Ross Perot was another plant. When will you ever decide bullets in their heads

15. LOL this is so fucking hilarious, the federal government wants to rebuild Gitmo. To the tune of 150 million dollars. MSN.com even has an article stating there are still 160 prisoners in Gitmo. United States government WTF??!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. LOL this is so fucking hilarious, the federal government wants to rebuild Gitmo. To the tune of 150 million dollars. MSN.com even has an article stating there are still 160 prisoners in Gitmo. United States government WTF??!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Ron Paul is the smartest in Washington..among the rest of the idiots

18. Ron Paul is the smartest in Washington..among the rest of the idiots

19. yea and so would am I

20. Obama wants to practically nationalize health care -_- that sounds awesome, but it's not awesome when we can't afford it