Ron Paul Didn’t Expect This Response From Hillary Clinton

Date: 4/22/2009
Venue: House Foreign Affairs Committee
Channel: C-SPAN 3

Transcript:

Howard Berman: The gentleman from Texas, Mr. Paul, is recognized for five minutes.

Ron Paul: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. And welcome, Madame Secretary.

I have a general question I want to ask about foreign policy, but leading up to that question I would like to mention first that the election had something to do with bringing about change in tone with our foreign policy. And I think there have been some very positive changes in tone and many of us have argued for more diplomacy rather than more threats, so many of us are pleased with that. It goes back to the old saying of, “Speaking softly and still be willing to carry a big stick”. But sometimes I wonder whether that big stick doesn’t get wielded a little too often.

But I do want to caution all of us that what we say is very important and can be very beneficial, but what we do is also very important. So that may cancel out the benefits of speaking more softly and being willing to talk and negotiate. Some people say that we shouldn’t talk to our enemies, but I remember the cold war rather well, and we did talk to kruchev and Mao Tse Tung when they were great threats to us. So, sometimes I think that when we look at how we stood up to tens of thousands of nuclear weapons, that we should be cautious as far as what we might do in Pakistan and put it into a proper perspective.

But my big concern is whether or not we can reverse the empire mentality that I think we have adopted over these many, many decades, and also the relationship of this to our financial burden. Though we are speaking more softly and would like to get some troops home, the first thing that was done was that our DOD budget was increased by 9% in a time when our national debt in the last 12 months went up 2 trillion dollars.

All great nations have been brought to their knees for economic reasons. We didn’t have to fight the Soviets. The Afghanistan adventure that the Soviets were involved with was very significant and I don’t know how we can ignore that.

So, I would like to ask the question about whether or not you can give me some signs or indications or some encouragement that maybe we shifted policies in the slightest manner. Have we brought any troops home? Are we less involved in Iraq? Will that war ever end? Or we really going in the opposite direction because we’re seeing Pakistan as so necessary, we need more troops, more expansion, more money, more DOD funds.

So, coming from my perspective I can’t see the difference even though, like I said, I am pleased that there is a willingness to talk and try to work things out and I think that is very positive. I always think that people who aren’t willing to talk are insecure. This whole idea that we are so strong, to me, it seems that we lack confidence if we can’t talk to people. And we are strong enough. Nobody is going to attack us militarily.

So, I see it as very important that we change our tone. I think it’s good that you got rid of the term “war on terrorism”. How can you have a war against a tactic? It doesn’t make any sense. But I am not sure “overseas contingency operation” is more specific. So could you address that and maybe give me some answers that maybe we may be seeing actually some shift in our policy.

Hillary Clinton: Well, thank you, Congressman. I think that the president’s actions in these nearly 100 days do match actions with words, although I admit there is a lot more to be done. We are still sorting out everything we’ve inherited and trying to make sense of it. We want to protect America’s national security, but we think there are better and more effective ways of doing that. So we are ending the war in Iraq. There is a definite end date for our troops to be there. The president did close Guantanamo. The president is looking for ways to engage with those who nobody wanted us to talk to, which is a sea shift in how we are proceeding.

Words and actions both matter. I mean, at the end of the day actions count more. But you have to begin by at least articulating a new approach. In our budget we have asked for more money for diplomacy and development. And the budget committee, in both the house and the senate, cut back the president’s request. It’s kind of old thinking, in my view. I mean, the secretary of defense has said that there are fewer foreign Service diplomats posted oversees than there are sailors and marines on one aircraft carrier. There are more musicians in the military bands than there are diplomats across the board. So, we are trying to shift this gigantic ship of state, Mr. Paul. And we are looking for your help to do so.

And at the risk of going over our time, I just want to say having campaigned during the last presidential election, you had the most enthusiastic supporters of anybody I ever saw.

Ron Paul: I love to hear that.

Hillary Clinton: Well, I mean, my goodness! Everywhere I went they were literally running down highways holding your signs. So, I’ve never had a chance to tell you that, but your message obviously resonated with a lot of people.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

Howard Berman: You’re going to encourage him.

1,518 Comments:

1. I know right, "recognized for 5 minutes", he catches so much unnecessary bullshit from anyone involved in media

2. Rand Paul makes me long for the days of Ron Paul!

3. lmao
    "how can you have war against a tactic?"

4. lying bitch for Israel

5. lying bitch for Israel

6. old bilary is warming up for 2016.... shew shredded Monica's dress and put it in the bags under her eyes...

7. Sorry, but no politician is going to be doing a background check on another politician they are being questioned by. I have volunteered, lobbied, and worked on the behalf of politicians and I can assure you that they are not ordering background checks. Ms. Clinton has much respect for Mr. Paul, a great example is at the end of this video where she adds how great his supporters were and how important he was to people.

8. Sorry, that's impossible. Doctors and nurses cannot be in the same attire. How exactly is a patient going to know who is who when every hospital employee is walking around in purple/white clothing? Yes, Mr. Paul was an important member of congress. Many people know who he is and, including me, have respect for him. Your political homework coming before a panel is to know what the issues are and the politicians positions through the years on that issue, not what college degrees he holds.

9. No, doctors look exactly like nurses and technicians in our hospital - they wear the same purple/white clothing and the only way you know they are doctors is if you read their ID cards on their left pockets.
    Ron Paul is a rather important (because non-linear/classifiable) member of congress - knowing what he is about is the political homework of the politician coming before the panel (background check on who you will be questioned by).

10. My mother also works in a large hospital. She knows what employees have what specific degrees and certifications but that's because it's HER JOB to know. It's not Ms. Clinton's job to know. You claim "remember which ones are doctors," yes because they look different from the nurses, clerks, EMTs, volunteers, and admins. He's been a 30 year member of congress but a doctor for less than 15 years. Ask most people and politicians if Ron Paul from Texas has a doctorate and they will say I don't know.

11. what a lying bitched closed gitmo my ass

12. haha

13. I work in a hospital that has 6500 employees. I remember which of them are doctors from remembering their faces because I repeatedly met them. I also know engineers that keep the place running, because I also met them. Then I know who has "no title". I do not rember the MBAs and the business administration because I never come into contact with them. He has been a thirty year member of congress...surely that stands out, especially in the political arena.

14. Don't use the word retarded. He's a congressmen, their are 435 of them. I don't think Hillary will remember who has a doctorate or not. In Congress, you refer to the representatives as "Mr" or "Ms."

15. Protocol in the Senate (as Ms. Clinton, a former senator herself, well knows) is to refer to Senators as "Mr." or "Ms." even if they have doctorate degrees. And, that's Secretary Bitch to you, buddy.

16. bro, hillary has a monster bush and gives zero bjs. havent you seen south park?

17. "Thanks to Clinton, the EITC lifted 4.3 million people out of poverty in 1998 alone.
    Hard to say they did nothing."
    That was temporary money from Freddy Mea and Freddy Mac filtering into the system and was a temporary unsustainable effect of borrowed money being retracted trough taxes in a boom cycle in the building industry.

18. "Thanks to Clinton, the EITC lifted 4.3 million people out of poverty in 1998 alone.
    Hard to say they did nothing."

19. Are you really that retarded? Reagan happened to be president when the USSR collapsed. He had about as much effect on the USSR's demise as you have on the seasonal variation of the ocean tides. He didn't cut taxes, he fiddled with some but the burden (overall) remained the same.
    "he pursued policies that significantly reduced inflation, interest-rates and unemployment." - bullshit, that's the result of reduced (1980s)oil prices, nothing he did mattered.

20. Are you really that retarded? Reagan happened to be president when the USSR collapsed. He had about as much effect on the USSR's demise as you have on the seasonal variation of the ocean tides. He didn't cut taxes, he fiddled with some but the burden (overall) remained the same.