Ron Paul Didn’t Expect This Response From Hillary Clinton

Date: 4/22/2009
Venue: House Foreign Affairs Committee
Channel: C-SPAN 3

Transcript:

Howard Berman: The gentleman from Texas, Mr. Paul, is recognized for five minutes.

Ron Paul: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. And welcome, Madame Secretary.

I have a general question I want to ask about foreign policy, but leading up to that question I would like to mention first that the election had something to do with bringing about change in tone with our foreign policy. And I think there have been some very positive changes in tone and many of us have argued for more diplomacy rather than more threats, so many of us are pleased with that. It goes back to the old saying of, “Speaking softly and still be willing to carry a big stick”. But sometimes I wonder whether that big stick doesn’t get wielded a little too often.

But I do want to caution all of us that what we say is very important and can be very beneficial, but what we do is also very important. So that may cancel out the benefits of speaking more softly and being willing to talk and negotiate. Some people say that we shouldn’t talk to our enemies, but I remember the cold war rather well, and we did talk to kruchev and Mao Tse Tung when they were great threats to us. So, sometimes I think that when we look at how we stood up to tens of thousands of nuclear weapons, that we should be cautious as far as what we might do in Pakistan and put it into a proper perspective.

But my big concern is whether or not we can reverse the empire mentality that I think we have adopted over these many, many decades, and also the relationship of this to our financial burden. Though we are speaking more softly and would like to get some troops home, the first thing that was done was that our DOD budget was increased by 9% in a time when our national debt in the last 12 months went up 2 trillion dollars.

All great nations have been brought to their knees for economic reasons. We didn’t have to fight the Soviets. The Afghanistan adventure that the Soviets were involved with was very significant and I don’t know how we can ignore that.

So, I would like to ask the question about whether or not you can give me some signs or indications or some encouragement that maybe we shifted policies in the slightest manner. Have we brought any troops home? Are we less involved in Iraq? Will that war ever end? Or we really going in the opposite direction because we’re seeing Pakistan as so necessary, we need more troops, more expansion, more money, more DOD funds.

So, coming from my perspective I can’t see the difference even though, like I said, I am pleased that there is a willingness to talk and try to work things out and I think that is very positive. I always think that people who aren’t willing to talk are insecure. This whole idea that we are so strong, to me, it seems that we lack confidence if we can’t talk to people. And we are strong enough. Nobody is going to attack us militarily.

So, I see it as very important that we change our tone. I think it’s good that you got rid of the term “war on terrorism”. How can you have a war against a tactic? It doesn’t make any sense. But I am not sure “overseas contingency operation” is more specific. So could you address that and maybe give me some answers that maybe we may be seeing actually some shift in our policy.

Hillary Clinton: Well, thank you, Congressman. I think that the president’s actions in these nearly 100 days do match actions with words, although I admit there is a lot more to be done. We are still sorting out everything we’ve inherited and trying to make sense of it. We want to protect America’s national security, but we think there are better and more effective ways of doing that. So we are ending the war in Iraq. There is a definite end date for our troops to be there. The president did close Guantanamo. The president is looking for ways to engage with those who nobody wanted us to talk to, which is a sea shift in how we are proceeding.

Words and actions both matter. I mean, at the end of the day actions count more. But you have to begin by at least articulating a new approach. In our budget we have asked for more money for diplomacy and development. And the budget committee, in both the house and the senate, cut back the president’s request. It’s kind of old thinking, in my view. I mean, the secretary of defense has said that there are fewer foreign Service diplomats posted oversees than there are sailors and marines on one aircraft carrier. There are more musicians in the military bands than there are diplomats across the board. So, we are trying to shift this gigantic ship of state, Mr. Paul. And we are looking for your help to do so.

And at the risk of going over our time, I just want to say having campaigned during the last presidential election, you had the most enthusiastic supporters of anybody I ever saw.

Ron Paul: I love to hear that.

Hillary Clinton: Well, I mean, my goodness! Everywhere I went they were literally running down highways holding your signs. So, I’ve never had a chance to tell you that, but your message obviously resonated with a lot of people.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

Howard Berman: You’re going to encourage him.

1,518 Comments:

1. He wasn’t aware of that psychological trick – it’s okay. Ron Paul can’t always win, though I support him.

2. That’s exactly what I thought at first! But then, this is just one sound byte. He’s not stupid and we didn’t get to see the rest. I highly doubt a compliment could ever assuage his anger and disappointment in the U.S. gov’t.

3. So, there’s an “end date” for the war in Iraq? And this was 4 years ago? Hmmmm

4. Dude, Professional wrestlers drive to a match in the same car, pretend to be enemies, fight, and drive home together smoking a joint while counting their money.. you think this is somehow different??

5. yes. the second piece of legislation signed. The money to close it has to be approved by Congress, they shelved it and refuse to address it. The closure order was signed right after the Lilly Ledbetter act.

6. They were having a little fun, and I am sad that we are unable to give compliments without someone calling foul. Look she got nothing out of it and he liked it so just calm down. That is the problem. We don’t know how to come together after the political game is over.

7. uh.. okay, of course not haha that comment didn’t need any intelligence I just commented what I wanted to comment calm down.

8. 4:05 – “The president DID close Guantanamo.” When did this happen, ’cause that’s contrary to my understanding? In fact, it’s quite the opposite of the truth.

What a lying little….. AND IS SHE ***REEEEEEEALLY**** ACTUALLY THINKING ABOUT ANOTHER PRESIDENTIAL RUN????!!!!!!! It’s just beyond words…

Just the thought that this country might at the very least even *consider* such possibility for this criminal is just unfathomable, and downright offensive to the integrity of the people.

9. Hillary Clinton is such a cunt

10. Recently some creepy right wing blogger said that Hillary should be “shot in the vagina.” You tell me what kind of creep would think that up? There are far too many conspiracy theorists out there and not enough level headed, logical people but with the advent of the internet you have all kinds of insane things being thought up.

11. Calling out sexism does not make it worse Jefe. Awareness of sexism in all areas of society need to be called out. He said more than that btw. This hating on Hillary regarding Benghazi when there is absolutely no evidence that she was directly responsible is just wrong.

12. I know sexism occurs, but people like you actually make it worse. By throwing the word ‘sexist’ around and applying it incorrectly, you take the attention from people who really are sexist and need to be called on it. It’s also a cheap way to discount somebody’s opinion by name-calling. He said ‘she (HIlary Clinton) is a liar.

13. wow…..Hillary… pathetic…..

14. Just because Ron Paul enjoyed the comment doesn’t mean he’s stupid enough to actually believe anything else she said.

15. President Barack Obama, you knew that, just tryin’ to be an asshole huh?

16. guantamino is not closed full stop

17. america has officially been dumbed down

18. From wikipedia: “As of March 2013, 166 detainees remain at Guantanamo”
    Guess they are not very ‘enthusiaxstick’ about closing it.

19. From wikipedia: “As of March 2013, 166 detainees remain at Guantanamo”
    Guess they are not very ‘enthusiaxstick’ about closing it.

20. Guantanamo CLOSED??? why havent i heard that???