Poll: Ron Paul’s VP in 2012

If Ron Paul runs for President in 2012, who should be his running mate?

This poll was open from April 5 – 13, 2010. Voters could select up to 5 candidates.

[poll id=”14″]

Ron Paul had no input in creating the list. It is based purely on suggestions made by supporters here and on other sites over the past few months.

Read a description of the results.

1. Dennis Kucinich is the best choice. Liberals should be on this list...

This is all a moot point. No anti-war president will get anywhere near the white house. People who are for peace, get shot: MLK, RFK, JFK, Lennon, Ghandi. Luckily now they don't have to worry about anyone getting close since they have control of the digital voting machines.

Ron Paul's job is to plant seeds and open eyes...the problem is that because the media is controlled by corporations, it'll have to be a grassroots effort...a grassroots efforts to a dumbed down, apathetic population

• Totally Agree!!!

I come from the left and have been interested in RP because of his stance against unnecessary war, civil liberty abuses (ie. patriot act), torture.

-have voted for Kucinich in every democratic primary i ever could and absolutely love him.

2. John Hostettler would definitely be one of my top 5 were his name on the list.

3. Alan Keyes would be my first choice as a VP for Ron Paul.

Gary Johnson is a good consideration as well. Mr. Johnson is a great public speaker!

Linda Liberty

4. Adrian Albrecht

I think Mickey Mouse would make a great running made albeit because I've seen the cartoons, the human side and the moral & patriotic character. I'd like to know why these running mate options are being presented for vote without some information as to why Ron Paul would consider them. Can someone fill in the pros/cons of the options presented or do I do what everyone else does such as pick the most popular with the best packaging and marketing with or without a birth certificate? Who's got a results track record, a history of duty to country, Trusts in God and knows how to fight for what's best of the US in these political dens of vipers.....

Thanks,

5. Why isn't Walter Williams on that list?

• I think that Walter Williams is not on the list because he doesn't want to run for elective office. I recall asking this of some people in LP leadership positions, and I believe that Williams had replied that he was not interested in running. Still, who knows how serious the overture was. I generally trust that nothing is done right in the LP until I know exactly who did it, and to what extent it was done.

Williams would be a fine choice, even if it was for no other reason than to let his ideas be spoken more frequently in the public media.

For that matter, why isn't Paul Butler on the list? America voted for Barack Obama because he is black, and they want to seem non-racist and socially tolerant, while still keeping the socially intolerant DEA, BATFE, etc... They want to appear tolerant while keeping people like Aaron Patterson behind bars (for most of his life) for mala prohibita.

Nearly everything in the counterculture in the USA started with blacks. So should the first counter-culture president. If it has to be an elderly white man frequently accused of racism (with some merit to the claims, albeit no merit to claims of racism, but with merit to the cover up of racism, etc...)

If you want to know who the libertarian is in any room, find the person who knows absolutely nothing about
      1) political strategy
      2) what's important to the average semi-libertarian American

Mainstream blacks have long held that the racist policies of prohibition will not be countered by a white man. Therefore, they don't trust any white man. (Sure, I get that the PC and anti-PC crowds will rake me over the coals for this, but screw 'em.) Politics is a numbers game, so when I describe the political reaction of "mainstream blacks" I'm not talking about well-educated blacks, like Williams and Butler.

Now, Butler is not a fan of Reagan, nor does he claim to be (as RP sometimes does). Butler is not 100% libertarian, either. But his message of jury rights, and decentralization needs very little refinement to reach perfect libertarianism. Moreover, his educational message is exactly what the Libertarian Party and mainstream libertarian politics needs.

I would have mentioned Larry Elder, while on the topic of black libertarians, but he has been somewhat pro-war. Although I like Elder, I think this would cause too many sparks against Ron Paul's dominant issue. Although somewhat pro-war, Williams appears to have moderated his views on the issue somewhat.

Basically, the 2008 LP was an infiltrated, pathetic shadow of itself in 2000 and 2002. Certain people doing the most work either died or were killed.
      Dead:
      Harry Browne
      Ron Crickenberger
      Aaron Russo

6. Writer and academic Thomas Sowell. While often described as a "black conservative", he prefers not to be labeled, and considers himself more libertarian than conservative.

After Sowell, I'd say Alan Keyes.

7. I'd add Tom Tancredo to the list. While Paul is sound on the war, Tancredo is sound on immigration.

8. Alan Keyes should be considered due to his strong conservative & independent views.

9. Jim DeMint or Allen West for VP

10. Sovereign Person

How about Michael Badnarik?

11. I think Mike Huckabee should be the best vice president. I also think that Dennis Kucinich should have a leadership stead.

• I like Huckabee too. He has a lot of experience and he is an honest person. He would abolish the IRS and do a flat tax. Huckabee said that when he was governor he found that most of the money for the states goes to three things: education, prisons and medical care. It's interesting to think about because the illegals cost the education system a lot more money, most of the people who end up in prison came from single parent welfare families and some are illegals, and here Obama's new health care bill puts millions more people on Medicaid, which the state taxpayers pay for. It kind of spells out why the states are going bankrupt.

12. Ron Paul/Andrew Napolitano for sure! Sadly, the votes are rigged and the only way to make your vote count is to send a COPY of your vote to the campaign director of the person/persons you vote for. I'm writing in my vote if it is not on the ballot, then sending in a copy by certified mail.. the polls are rigged! We may have only one more shot at getting our country back.

Palin and Beck? You must be joking!!!

13. I agree about Dennis Kucinich. That would be a winning ticket, a Repub and a Dem together. When everyone was fighting about the health care bill, Kucinich said to give everyone single payer Medicare. The way the bill went, it gutted Medicare, ruined it, and it's one problem after another, millions more on Medicaid, which will bankrupt the states, no limits on coverage and taking everyone with pre-exiting conditions will drive the insurance companies out of business. I was against socialized health care, but at lest what Dennis Kucinich came up with was something that did not gut Medicare, that used a system that is already in place, go to single payer, simple transition, problem solved. I think Ron Paul and Dennis would work very well together.

I was in a discussion board recently that did an article about Glenn Beck hates Jesus and Dennis was in the board talking to us. He thinks and thinks about everything and he's very verbal about his thoughts. He's an interesting person. He made a long post the day he voted for the health care bill, telling everyone why he decided to vote for it. It was kind of fun because not only did we get to talk with him, Beck was reading that board too. I said everything that has been bothering me about Beck, I brought up Palin quitting her job and making a lot of money selling her book and her doing a reality show. Two days later, Beck adressed the Palin reality show issue. Good to know these people hear what you think sometimes.

I've had good luck with emailing Bill O'Reilly and Dick Morris too. They actually read the emails, and if you make a critical point about something or give them a suggestion, they will address it on the air.

• I come from the left, so am interested in RP's stance on unnecessary war, civil liberty abuses (patriot act), and torture.

-have voted for Kucinich in _every_ single election i ever could.

-putting Kucinich in the VP position would TRULY open the eyes of the left and you'd get a HUGE number of people like me voting for that ticket.

-that's the winning ticket, that would bring people from both sides of the aisle, and would truly leave the media-supported candidates in the wilderness.

14. Elect a Republican. Thats absurd! I say to all of you Republicans that if you want free market, lower taxes, smaller government and personal freedoms then it is you that needs to dump your sorry party and join the LP. I believe though that the very core of the Republican party has more to do with dominating our personal lives with your policies and laws and therefore aren`t opened to the personal freedom part unless it only applies to them. The Republican party is full of corrupt Neo-Con zealots, and ther is no helping it!

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 15 Thumb down 2

15. Firebatt, Sierra Nevada

Ron Paul and Paul Ryan. PAUL/PAUL-2012

Seriously, let the Tea Party and Ron Paul steer a Conservative Republican Party into 2012.

A 3rd party "Tea Party" will no doubt
    give the Country to O Dems in 2012.

Keep the baby. Throw out the dirty water. Change the Republican Party from within.

Support The Fair Tax Bill HR25 and S296 and of course "Audit the Fed".

Ron Paul-2012

16. Ventura? Palin? - C'mon,...

Also,...
    Napolitano is a TV personality anymore, as is Beck
    Schiff is a Stock Broker
    Let Rand earn the job later on

Buchanen ,.. OK
    How about Coln. Allen West of Florida? or Thune, Romney, Ryan,... even Liberman before Palin and Ventura.

17. totally with you gorgenthog, I would not vote for ron paul if some wacko is his running mate, ie.. Sarah Palin. We must have a strong really bipartisan ticket, how about Dennis Kucinich, Allen Grayson, Marcy Kaptur, some real democrat with GUTS! I would vote for a republican like Ron Paul if he had a Democratic runningmate... I consider my self a true Green Party or Independent, but Vote Democratic- because I learned my lesson by voting for Ralph Nadar, and when Bush 43 won over Al Gore- that was just about the end of the world for me... I don't know how I survived those hellacious 8 years. Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich would get us back on track!!

18. Why not Mike Gravel???? Let's make the Dream Team Ticket.

19. Where are the independents? After Ron Paul, James Traficant is the most qualified person to run for President.

20. I would like to see Denis Kusinich, Marcy Kaptur and Allen Grayson on the list. Kusinich said it best in 2008 when he was asked who he would pick as a running mate. Without hesitation he said Ron Paul. The interveiwer was shocked because he's a republican and Denis is a dem. Kusinich described the eagle in house chamber and simply said, "That eagle needs two wings to fly."

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 13