Ron Paul: Freeze Big Government!

Ron Paul and Harry Mitchell have again stopped the increase in pay that Members of Congress automatically get every year unless it is voted down.

Their efforts to block the pay raise for 2010 was successful last year, and today their bill to block the pay raise for 2011 passed overwhelmingly (402-15) in the House after passing the Senate last week.

We should not be padding our pocketbooks when our constituents are still tightening their belts and losing their jobs,” stated Congressman Paul. “As well, we could continue with this symbolic first step and stop increasing taxes, expanding the federal budget, and spreading our military so thin. These additional measures would do much to begin our economic recovery.”

Below, Ron Paul speaks on the House floor in support of the bill:

Date: 04/27/2010

Transcript

Ron Paul: Thank you, Mr. Speaker. I rise in support of this legislation and I want to complement Mr. Mitchel from Arizona for getting this bill to the floor. We’ve worked on this for several years and I am pleased that this is going to be passed today.

Much has been said about the unemployment rate in this country, and I saw one other take on unemployment today where it said that low-income people (below $20,000) the unemployment rate is actually 31%, which shows how devastating this recession is. And for some it’s an actual depression.

I would like this bill to be passed, but not just as symbolism. It is a good symbolism, and important symbolism. But as was mentioned by the gentleman from California, it’s not a tremendous amount of money. But it’s important for us to recognize that we have a serious problem in this country and that we shouldn’t be careless about the way we think about this problem. It shouldn’t make us feel necessarily good because we pass this; this is just necessary.

It does remind me of a piece of legislation I introduced many years ago in the 1970s when we had rampant inflation, which I anticipate will probably come back to this country. Back then we had a 15% inflation rate, and my suggestion then in the form of legislation was to get the members’ attention to understand what an inflation was all about. I said we should take a pay cut at the rate of inflation.

And even today we might suggest that there is a lot more inflation out there than we admit to. So maybe not only should we freeze our salaries, maybe we should be taking a pay cut so that we can do a better job, because we really can’t brag about the job that we have done for the country because of the condition the country is in.

But I would like to extend this motivation to freeze the pay of congressmen to freezing a few other things. I would like to see our budget at least frozen where it is. That would go a long way to solving some of our budgetary problems. And how about freezing the debt level? Let’s not raise the debt level. Instead, this next year, our national debt is going to go up by $2 trillion when you add up all that we borrowed from our trust funds.

Also, I’d like to see a freeze on regulations because regulations usually backfire. There are unintended consequences, they cost a lot of money, they act as a tax, and they don’t improve the economy overall.

I would be in support of freezing the welfare transfer system. The system that most people think, “Well, transfers are going to help all the poor people”. The trouble is, wealth transfer systems help the rich people and they’re the ones to get the bailouts and poor people don’t. So a freeze on welfare transfer would be a long way towards restoring a free society and a constitutional government.

Also, I think the consensus of the American people today is that we ought to freeze the bailouts. Let’s not bail out anybody anymore. But it looks like it will be a long time before that happens because we have a monetary system where we have somebody over there called the Federal Reserve that says, “We can print and at will, and our job is to be the lender of last resort.” That means to bail anybody and everybody out that needs money and it looks like that will be domestic as well as international.

I’d like to freeze the ability of the Federal Reserve to print money out of thin air. That, in moral terms, is counterfeit and yet that is the encouragement for us to run up our deficits because the Fed can come in and increase the money supply. A sound monetary system would have frozen anybody’s ability to just create money out of thin air.

I’d also like to freeze the income tax at the 1912 level. And that, indeed, would be a real boost to the people of this country. All of a sudden there would be great wealth in the hands of the consumer. Just think if all the money that we spent on the bailouts that just tided things over, if just a portion of that had been used to get rid of the income tax, I think the money would have been better spent because the people would have been spending the money instead of the bureaucrats and the politicians and the regulators that bail out the people who were making all the money in the first place.

But I would also extend this freeze on to some other things, too. I’d like to freeze some of our militarism. I think we have enough fighting going on. I don’t think we should expand the war. I don’t think we should be looking for another enemy. I’d like to freeze the sanctions on countries, I’d like to see a lot more free trade. I would like to see that the bombing is not extended, that we quit allowing our CIA to extend the bombing of countries that have not attacked us.

I would also like to put a freeze on this concept of preventive war. This whole idea and concept of preventive war means that we can literally start the war.

So yes, it’s good that we’re freezing the salaries of us here in the Congress but if we really want to restore the Republic, we will freeze a lot of these other issues as well.

1. Hurrah! After all I got a webpage from where I be able to actually get valuable information regarding my study and knowledge.

2. Hi, in case you want to get higher rankings, you ought to take a look at the plugin I left in my link, it will aid.

3. I always spent my half an hour to read this blog’s posts all the time along with a cup of coffee.

4. THE SUCCESSFUL TICKET SHOULD BE DR. PAUL AND THE GOVERNOR OF NEW MEXICO AS VICE-PRESIDENT. UNBEATABLE!

HARRY O.

5. Wow–do you really believe someone as old as Ron Paul will get elected? And how did obesity and religion get mixed up in this discussion? That’s weird.

To Mark Woychik–you said it, brother. It’s all in the heart and soul of a person. We shouldn’t look down on others–perhaps we should be looking at the past sins of ourselves, particularly our own infidelities. I believe He has forgiven you.

Make no mistake–the action of freezing pay is a clever ploy, which is working, for Ron Paul to get boosted as a presidential nominee. Sigh. Are we going to be stuck wondering if Mr. Paul is going to make it to 2016?

6. BRAVO! Well said and very true. Ron Paul may be our only hope of restoring this country in 2012

7. …Ron is a great guy – who could not like this man, but the conservative need to be very concerned about a 3rd party running – as it may divide the party.

8. Ron Paul for President 20012.End The Fed.Sack Bennake,Obama et al too.

9. Private Banks have the legal right to lend out for profit the deposits of citizens in return for interest on loans. The depositor has ‘common sense’ confidence that his or her bank will make sound loans based upon economic demographic observations and the credit worthiness of the loaner. The Federal Reserve allows private banks to issue NEW currency back by only 10% of the banks deposits and/or legal assets (fractional reserve banking). Thus The Federal Reserve keeps their printing presses going none stop (24-7) to keep up with the free markets demanded for cash withdraws (this is why they want a cashless system). In all reality it is not possible for the Federal Reserve to print into circulation all the NEW computer credits that have been created by their contracted private banks or for the great amounts demanded by the US government. Thus, we have an enormous and growing Federal Government that is desperately trying to maintain civil control of a chaos economic system all on top of the international security issues created by un-natural forced economic growth fed by the IMF. The IMF is fractional reserve banking on an International level. All Precisely what Tomas Jefferson prophesied would happen if the US Government was to legally commission the private corporate control of the issuance of ‘NEW’ US currency.

What I would specifically like to isolate for political debate is to focus our attention upon the issuance of ‘NEW’ mediums of exchange whether or no it is a Dollar or a notch on a yard stick. This issuance of any ‘NEW’ medium of exchange is the most sacred act of any given ‘Civilization’. I am not condemning the concept of private banks or the free market decision of citizen to pool and invested their captured currencies into private investment agreements (Stock Market). I am trying to get attention focused upon the proper US Constitutional process of issuing ‘NEW’ mediums of exchange.

Even in so much chaos I can see tough reconciliation, I can see systems already in place within our US Government that could make the system of issuing NEW currency into the free market place both Constitutional and with natural ecological and biological harmony in relation to the Planet we live on. For now, the planet and humanity is being destroyed as the Nations of the world consume and produce way more than is necessary in order to satisfy the lunacy of ‘Fraction Reserve Bankers’.

See that the fractional reserve issuance of NEW currency has set the world on a path of self-destruction. The result is forced economic growth creating unnecessary competition and the over consumption of natural resources/energy. Now the Kings of the secret Klan of fractional reserve central bankers must make God like decisions about how to keep their ludicrous civilization from self-destruction.

On the other hand, had the US evolved with the proper issuance of NEW currencies under the proper representation of the ‘Republic’ we would not be living in such a chaotic self-destructing civilization. Their would be no inflation or deflation. We would have only the best products and services. We the People would enjoy much more leisure time for human advancement. Taxes would be proportional. The other Nations of the world would have been left alone to advance like the US if they so choose.

• fred the protectionist

Libertarian lunatic say: “Private Banks have the legal right to lend out for profit the deposits of citizens in return for interest on loans. The depositor has ‘common sense’ confidence that his or her bank will make sound loans based upon economic demographic observations and the credit worthiness of the loaner. The Federal Reserve allows private banks to issue NEW currency back by only 10% of the banks deposits…”

Wrong kemosabe, the Federal Reserve PREVENTS private banks from issuing new loans above 10% of their reserves.

Man you guys are fruitloops.

10. I have no idea whether Ron Paul will run for 2012. Or whether it is a good idea.

I am getting ready, though. I have worn my Ron Paul 2008 sweatshirt. Now I wear my Ron Paul 2012 tee-shirt. I am polite when I wear those. And friendly and helpful.

This keeps the Ron Paul name out there. This helps me to be a better person. I want to be a good ambassador for Paul and freedom ideas.

11. It is simple and basic to see that what we are economically dealing with is the side effects of a ludicrous ‘Fractional Reserve Banking System’. The lunacy of ‘Fractional Reserve Banking’ breeds all chaos, imbalance, austerity and odiousness. We must get back ‘Republic’ control of US monetary policy.