Senate Rejects True Transparency: Vitter’s Audit the Fed Amendment Fails 37-62

Senator David Vitter, Republican of Louisiana, put forward an amendment that would have mirrored Ron Paul’s tough Audit the Fed language, but the Senate rejected it today. The vote was 37 to 62. (The Senate instead passed a modified “placebo” amendment that had the support of the Obama administration.)

Before the vote, Vitter appealed for support: “I urge all of my colleagues, Democrats and Republicans, to support both amendments to have full openness and accountability and transparency with all the protections that are included against politicizing individual Fed decisions.”

How They Voted

Voinovich (R-OH), Nay
Warner (D-VA), Nay
Webb (D-VA), Yea
Whitehouse (D-RI), Nay
Wicker (R-MS), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Yea
Democrats that voted Yea Republicans that voted Nay S 604 co-sponsors that voted Nay

Cantwell (D-WA)

Bob Bennett (R-UT)
Tom Harkin (D-IA)
Benjamin Cardin (D-MD)
Patrick Leahy (D-VT)
Barbara Boxer (D-CA)
Mary Landrieu (D-LA)

1. You know, after reading this the one question I have is; where were all of the other IA senators? I see one voted but the rest didn't even bother to show to vote and the sad thing is that no one, at all, from IA even voted when it went through the house. Being a life-long IA resident this gives me great concern!

• For Iowa I see Grassley Yea, Harkin Nay. There are only 2 senators per state, Shasta, you must be thinking of the representatives. The number of reps is proportional to the population.

I can't imagine why honest Democrats would vote nay on this bill. Aren't they the party of the people? Isn't this the transparency Obama promised?

2. The Ron Paul/Grayson original legislation proposal to fully audit the Federal Reserve System should have passed with an unamended proposal, which just is a deception to allow those who wish to control the World Currency System to just keep tearing off the minimal amounts of flesh which still occupy a very small portion area of the bone. Let's face it, The entire World Community is tired of this fiat currency, and Uniform Commercial Code Merchant Laws Scam, and "Strawman" System that has torn society into shreds for the last few centuries.
    Humanity is tired of everything that bears the Mark of the Red Shield ("Rothschild" in German), and the deceptive political representatives who would sell their mothers and their fathers for a measly worthless piece of paper, which in reality does not hold the value of a single sheet of bathroom paper roll.
    It is the largest scam in the history of mankind, and as such, it will be turned over to our future generations, with all evidence attached, so that they would know who was behind the mass plot to profit from the suffering of humanity during the false reign of these deceptive, abusive traitors, and architects of human slavery and suffering. BE AWARE, the day of your counterfeit Modern Day Roman Empire is coming to an end. But then again, we already can see the signs of this occuring, and that is why those who think they rule humanity by deceptive slavery, are asking for their deceived slave populations to rescue them.
    I hope that these traitors and deceivers of humanity will have the intelligence to keep a couple of coins in their pocket, so that they may pay Charon the Boatman,
    as even the caretaker of the Greek Underworld requires payment to cross a human soul into the Underworld. Think about this fact, as you Pseudo Gods of Modern Day Financial Empires continue to think you own everything and everyone, at least for the very natural short term that you have left.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 15 Thumb down 1

• When and were are we going to stand for what we believe. I will sell everything I have to get there. We shall all stand against these people.

3. Today I called the offices of both Sherrod Brown and George Vonavich, asking them WHY they voted against this amendment. The staffers from both offices said: "I'll be happy to pass along your comments"? TO which I replied , "I don't have a comment -- it's a question: WHY did he (they) vote against it?"

Answer: "Unless the Senator posts a press release on a specific vote, we can answer why he chose to vote the way he did." but I'll be happy to pass along your comment.

Me: "I don't have a comment -- it's a question: WHY did he (they) vote against it? - good-bye."

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 20 Thumb down 0

• Get out to your local Government with pickit sign's. Let all the local's know about the way they are voting. Get the answer's you are looking for. I love the way you are standing up. Trying to get locals togather. I am glad and suprised that both from Oklahoma voted yea.

4. http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/lm_health.php

and this is who gets lobby money- Note Mitch McConnell's vote, his lobby influence, and read up on Scott Brown's going along with whatever McConnell says and in the background Cheney. Also note who is campaigning heavily with ads against Rand Paul.
    We really need to get the message out that we want not just any newbie who McConnell can manipulate like Scott Brown, but a true independent like Rand Paul. Watch the attack ads to find out who McConnell and Cheney are against in the conservative group and vote for them.

also-I like facts- any one have any support or evidence the "Obama administration " was wanting it watered down and does that matter? All the Executive branch can do is veto, then the Congress can override. A strong bill would have forced the point and do you really think Obama would veto a popular bill? And why should the Congress- especially Senators in for 6 years who have been protecting the Feds under many administrations be so compliant with Obama. The Obama rhetoric is a distraction that McConnell and Cheney are playing to divert attention from a protection of the Feds since the Great Depression. A protection that benefits the rich.
    or was it maybe many of the richest members in Congress crowd (note Pelosi and Kerry on the list) who were for this? Incumbents encrenched over several administrations who keep blaming the president Republican or Democrat. Was this a freebie opinion comment or fact thrown into this? I haven't had time to cross check yet.
    Obama is newly rich from his books in just the past few years, not the stock market- before that he and his wife were saddled with student loan debts living like the rest of us. He is not invested in the stock market personally in the same way as Pelosi. Her money is all old money and she has not had to work for a living. Economy shrinks down to its natural state and her fortune evaporates.

I like this link-you can play around with the votes to see patterns. You can also check on other bills

this is the 50 richest members in congress-again to check for patterns

Follow the money to find the truth

• You are wrong about O. O. IS going to make zillions off the stock market. On his income tax form he lists a blind trust with Goldman Sachs. I'd love to know how many millions that is going to be worth when he finally retires. Hundreds of millions?

• can you post a link? I keep hearing things like this but do not know how to see their taxes

• I learned about a blind trust

its more blind them my retirement- I likely own stock in many of these firms through my work retirement investments- I select an option and someone does the buying and trading day to day.
        However- this is forced- I really want my savings account tax free and them to stop taxing everything except stock market "retirement and college savings accounts" Why can't I save the way I want to? We get 1 choice- gamble your savings in the market or get all the interest you earn some other way taxed away.

But my point is- focus on Obama diverts attention from the fact we have power NOW- now in 2012. Obama and his administration are not the reason Congress voted this way. The problems with the Fed go way back. Actually the Fed is the problem. An Audit the Fed bill went through and no people I knew heard about it when as I talked to them. No talk on the blogs other than Ron Paul blogs . Just lots of coverage on how Romney, Palin, or Huckabee are the top picks for 2012.

• What is a vote?
      Since the beginning of time the same people or banks who have been running thing's know who is going to win. They just make you people believe that voting is legit. What a crock. The voting really make's you feel like you are doing something huh? Why? Why is it this way? Because the one's most everyone continually give's there money to just get's richer and are able to buy their way through anything. Start getting out into your community's Start investing your money's into a win. Don't expect a vote to turn out the way you want unless you are loaded...... And if you are give your donation's unto yourself. Put them out in flyer's put them out in pickit's, run your thing's out in the sport's, sale's, or new's section of your newspaper, craigslist etc. or what ever you feel may help. Stop bending over to these $ driven winner's, but watch your back if you start getting thing's done. Because they will pay to have you taken out or pay you off to shut you up!

5. It is the season for anti-incumbecy. So let's vote the bums out who voted against auditing the fed.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 0

6. Here is what Scott Brown posted on Facebook as a reason for voting no on the Vitter amendment:

Scott Brown supported the Sanders amendment over the Vitter amendment, because I do not believe politicians should be involved in decisions about currency and monetary policy. This can seriously undermine consumer and investor confidence. Since Congress can’t even manage to make good fiscal policy decisions – as evidenced by our r...ecord levels of debt – it should not be expected to manage monetary policy.

• Kurt,
      You are partly right... Our politicians are too DUMB to make good laws and are much less qualified to be making monetary decisions.

That's why we need to End The Fed.... which has simply become the vehicle of Political Free Lunches, which We the Tax Payers can not afford!

The FED is "monetizing" our National Debt by DILUTING our Personal Wealth.
      The FED (Bennie) and Treasury (Timmy) are colluding to PRINT TRILLIONS of Federal Reserve Notes (FRN) that are simply DEVALUEING your and my dollars! INFLATION….!

That’s one of the reason interest rates are currently so low, because there is so much money in the system but no consumer demand… 1970’s style “StagFlation”

The true test is the price of precious metals… Gold has hit another record $1,245.00 FRNs

Soon they can start printing FRNs using soft perforated paper on rolls with holes in the middle for a ease of use.

Got Gold?

7. Look at all the list of Senator that did not vote to Audit the fed. Make sure that everyone knows (In your state) by posting all those names. DO NOT VOTE FOR THEM ON THE COMING ELECTION. I live in CA Boxer and Feinstein did not want to audit the fed, I will have my say on this coming election!

8. Is it true that there is an article in the financial reform bill that censors the internt?

9. Sad but True
    Our elected officials are NOT doing the peoples bidding.

The truth be known... The FED lent the near Trillion Dollars to the IMF who in turn gave your TAX money to Greece.

The FED is America's worst nightmare and Timmie and Benny are just getting warmed up with Greece. Just wait when the rest of the PIGS go down Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Spain..!

Ron Raul knows this ugly truth and is trying to expose it, but the rest of those elected scoundrels want it covered up, thus the vote to kill the bill.

The EU Public Unions and other Entitlement spending created the PIGS and they are symptomatic of what America will soon be facing.

"The Socialists have finally run out of Other Peoples Money"
    PM Margaret Thatcher

10. I wonder if there is any "buying of votes" going on. The Fed doesn't want their secrets to be out, and they sort of control all of the country's money.. hmm?

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

11. They missed "Bailout Bob" Corker from Tennessee on the list of Republicans who voted against the audit.

12. No surprise here, except the fact that John McCain voted yes. That really surprised me. Anyway, I figured that socialist Chuck Schumer would vote it down, but I had hoped my other senator would do the right thing. I had written to both of them and unfortunately they proved that they could care less about what the public wants. Good, now maybe they both will be voted out in 2010.

• Adam: McCain learned his lesson by losing the election as a result of voting for the original bailout. Kudos to my Senator Le Mieux from Florida who has voted the right way every time. I wish he would run to keep the seat. As for Nelson, he has to go!!!!!!!!!!

• i live in florida as well, go to nelson's website and write him an email, i did. I wrote: I am ashamed and disppointed in you and you proved that your allegiance is to the corporations and not to the american people et.

• don't forget though, this is a 'one time audit' bill... so its a much easier political sell.

you can vote 'Ay' for it and whatever way it goes you can later on claim either that you voted to audit the Fed or that you 'only voted for a limited audit'.

13. It's business as usual for the Fed, and none in govt need fear anyone uncovering anything suspicious, which is what they want. It's sad, and I know I'm going to vote both my senators out, the traitors. But, what goes around, comes around.

14. Cowards! All of them! Everyone is so worked up about the time square bomber but these senators are doing more to hurt this country than all the terrorists in the world put together will ever do. What the congress has let happen to this country is criminal. It is not a recent development either. They are supposed to represent the people but they do not care. The idea of letting a private bank control the american peoples money and do whatever they want with no oversight disgusting! SHOW ME THE MONEY(gold)!!!!!!!

15. You forgot to add Corker (R-TN) to the list of Nays. I wrote both of them last week hoping they would have an epiphany of conscience but it turns out my assumptions were true. Both Democrats and Republicans are worthless and corrupt. I'm glad to be a Libertarian. It's just a shame Dr. Paul has to run on a Republican ticket to have a chance of getting the majority of people to listen. This government and the majority of the populous are selfish and ignorant. Don't most Republicans realize they're more like Libertarians if they actually paid attention.

16. Thanks for the vote tally Dr. Paul. I know 2 senators who I will be voting out. Please also work to get rid of electronic voting, so that my vote does count this time.

17. We need to slam the senators who sponsored S604 and then voted Vitter amendment down! I am going to. I'm also complaining to both of my senators that voted NO. Hold these people accountable. I may even contact all the Republicans that voted NO. Hold their feet to the fire. Let them know we know what they've done. They're going to claim they've passed an Audit the Fed amendment. And I can see that they're setting up Republicans to now *have* to pass the Dodd bill since it contains an "audit the Fed" amendment (though it's watered-down and worthless we now know) which is what they should want. Republicans are sooo being set up with this. UGH! Our system is a joke.

18. The fed will have more power and there will be future bailouts. So Brace yourselves. No Suprise.

19. It basically means nothing will change, if not get worse.

20. okay so what does this mean now for audit the fed???

• Libertarian777

it means we get a 'one time and one time only' view of the Fed.

We'll never know the extent of IMF payments, or other dealings other than things that took place during a specific limited time period.

This is so ironic. Bernake categorically stated to Paul under congressional testimony that the books of the Fed are open at all times.