240 responses to “Ron Paul: Let’s repeal the War on Drugs – just like we repealed Prohibition”

1. veradinx

Though I abhor drugs, as a constitutionalist I am in 100% agreement with Ron Paul that the War on Drugs is a senseless waste of taxpayer money.

This, like so many other things the Federal Government decides upon unilaterally, is a STATE ISSUE, because all powers not specifically granted to the President or Congress are reserved for the American people, fullstop.

There is no Amendment granting government control over what you smoke or drink.

2. mindinclined

Agreed, that’s why fraud should be prosecuted.

3. terahybrid

What if I sell a small amount of pot to my best friends, jail for me?

So! people go to jail for not paying a single speeding or parking ticket, the law is screwed up everywhere I hope we fix it.

4. terahybrid

lol I told you I agree with you more than you think.

there is a black market relatively speaking how else will the cool kids get the tobacco and alcohol.

I would expect the judge to have self prudence on you, but seems to me most dont know up from down anymore, you will rot in prison as an example and the career crook will get a day in jail maybe.

I’m not against Legalization & Regulation of POT, what I dont like and hear often is drugs=pot which is not

5. Gus589

the funny thing is that my sociology professor looks like ron paul and he is the same way too. a fair guy. too bad if he runs for president he will get shot.

6. hobbi1123

I haven’t heard a man speak with truth since J.F.K’s speeches to the american public. This guy needs to get his voice out there on levels that all can hear. I vote RP 2012.

7. fubarnett

He is the perfect mix of Republican, Tea Party, Libertarian… that will surely get him elected in 2012. God bless Ron Paul.

8. 28Quinton

We must change in order to change our future. Lack of vision will affect you eventually. Find out how you can help prozeitgeist com

9. Syphalis1

I thought we might be on similar pages.
    But yes, assuming it was not taxed at ridiculous amounts, it WOULD eliminate the black market. There’s no black market for tobacco and alcohol… even though they do have relatively high taxes on them.

Drugs are not cheap. Bought any lately? ; )
    They are expensive because of the risk associated with them. And again, you keep saying “Jail the dealers”. What if I sell a small amount of pot to my best friends, jail for me?
    Legalize & Regulate

10. hyylo

this beautiful country is being destroyed by politicians. they tax every hard working american and give themselves high pay.

i am angry but i have hope. My entire family have donated to 3 honest Americans

RON PAUL
    PETER SCHIFF
    RAND PAUL

END THE FED
    END THE INCOME TAX

11. terahybrid

I don’t want to tax it to death, but it will be taxed to death eventually look at the alcohol and tobacco history, its a great state revenue from people that wont dispute a tax increase each year.

I don’t care what they sell, what I don’t like is people convincing or tricking you what a great awesome idea is eating fatty foods, and cars that pollute, a huge house you cant afford etc…, you know what I mean it’s the people that will sell their own mother for a dollar.

12. mindinclined

You don’t have to tax it to death. I’m merely suggesting that the tax revenue from normal sales taxes and business can go towards prevention and treatment. What’s so awful about that?

I guess you just want to jail people the sell things you don’t agree with. Would you agree with jailing anyone that pollutes the air with a car? Or eat fatty foods? Or how about people that f*** in strange positions? As soon as you open the door to regulate personal habits, that is the slippery slope.

13. Dan I

RON PAUL 2012 !!!

14. Dan I

RON PAUL 2012 !!!

15. iannetta11

RON PAUL 2012 !!!

16. Gassebol

Why not simply close the border to Mexico and fight the drug dealers at sea and inte air?
    Mine the gulf!

17. terahybrid

tax from to fund prevention, so lets make it legal and kill it with regulation taxes who will pass the cost to consumers that’s just awful, why not fix the legal stuff first, every year alcohol and tobacco get a screw you tax increase, I do agree PSA is a better way, sort of.

I want to jail the dealers for the same reason I want jailed the people who pimp depression pills and/or mood enhancers like ritalin, now there even a depression pill for your depression pill it’s insane.

18. terahybrid

if it’s about freedom I am 100 percent behind all of you, let’s legalize some of them at least pot since most want that, but lets not start talking about being legal will solve the problems etc… etc… well that is BS I don’t buy that it only sounds good on paper.

what’s funny to me is that drugs=pot which isn’t even pot any more, they dont want what hippies used to smoke they want the new hybrid plants or whatever they put on them or spice them in.

19. democratsaresmart

REPUBLICANS ARE SO STUPID, BUSH WAS AN ALCHOHOLIC, FALLING DOWN , EMBARASSING THE WHOLE NATION, SO TWIN TOWERS COLAPSED, ECONOMY COLAPSED! THEY PUT LINDSAY LOHAN IN JAIL, WHY THEY DIDNT PUT BUSH IN JAIL I COULD STILL SEE TWIN TOWERS TODAY?

20. Steve Largent

Thank you Dr. Paul for trying to teach people the Constitution.

21. jerry christen

if you stop the war on drugs the crime rate in the united states will drop by over 50 per cent. we need more people like you and your son in there fighting to keep the U.S. safe and sane. keep the good fight.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

22. serNevh

Is this the “grass movement”?
    Jokes aside, I agree with Paul, people should be allowed to use drugs as they long as they behave non-violent and correct publicly as well know the consequences about the drug they are taking.

23. mindinclined

Why jail dealers when you can get rid of them altogether through legalization? We can even use the taxes from drugs to fund prevention. The more usage, the more prevention and treatment. What could make more sense than that?

24. BlackTerrorClan

RON PAUL 2012

25. terahybrid

I agree with you more than you think.

it might decrease it, but it wont eliminate black market or crime people will always drive to cheaper prices, a product going through the formal channels as of now it wont compete, which is why drugs are everywhere and cheap they are practically a free market.

I am for don’t jail the users let them buy whatever, but jail the dealers

26. terahybrid

I know it’s 2 issues, but drugs are a big cash machine pharms will start pimping them to everybody with their shady studies.

27. Syphalis1

But part of the whole point is to eliminate the black market and all of the crime that comes with it. You can’t say, yeah you can have that, but you can’t get it from anyone. Legalize it, tax it, and control it. It works for alcohol (relatively) well. And just think, instead of spending billions, we could make money!

Technically weed is legal, but having it without the official tax stamp is not… oh and applying for the tax stamp is illegal too…. silly politics.

28. Syphalis1

29. Syphalis1

But legalization and the shadiness of Big Pharm are 2 separate issues.

30. terahybrid

I leave protecting the kids to the parents.
    I am for decriminalizing the user not the dealer.

kids have always managed to get alcohol, for me at that age alcohol was easier to get, not sure what that proves.

31. terahybrid

yes just like like some prescription pills, not sure about you but I don’t want every kid on mood enhancers, Ritalin whatever, you know they’re are pimping that big time, pretty much now most kids magically has ADD,ADHS, or the big pharmaceuticals doing trials on state run foster kids.

and I certainly don’t like every time I go to the doctor I’m asked if I’m depressed and that I surely need some depression pills.

you know it’s not about pot, it’s every other drug out there goes.

32. Syphalis1

Synthetic drugs? You mean like prescription pills?

….
    pretty sure they are legal! You are on the slippery slope. When you take away the freedom of individuals to take care of themselves and make their own decisions.

And don’t give me the whole “protect the kids” spiel. When I was 19, I could get weed a lot easier than I could alcohol.

33. Nancy M. Rice

Thank you Ron Paul, for being you. Yours is a clear, wise voice in America and I am praying that you and your son can do something to slow or stop these evil people that are making these laws up as they go along. I am behind you and yours 100%.

34. SparkyLevenspliffs

Amen! End the war on drugs!

35. MrRiceowlex

End the War on Drugs and the drug problem will stop overnight. Then regulate these drugs with Dr’s and hospitals and start helping people help themselves and put them back into society instead of a prison.

1. Don J

MrRiceowlex,

There is no harm in marijuana, don’t regulate it, no-one has the right to regulate it because it’s not harmful. It was illegal for one reason only, to stop the sale of alcohol made from hemp for the newly invented cars. Petroleum was behind Prohibition. Make hemp legal now, today.

You can’t force someone to smoke (for their own good) just like you can’t force someone to inject anything into their body. If a doctor of medicine want’s to sell you their own homemade medicine I guess that would be alright. But forget any retail tax on it. Wholesale maybe.. but I think that’s for group though to decide.

I’m just an individual and don’t know how much a small government needs. I know government payroll is way out of hand and some of the elected millionaires are getting too much, especially when honest one term persons would do the job voluntarily and be chosen from a waiting line of capable people.

Mail and building public infrastructure is all I can see as government responsibilities. A one term limit for the Congress and Senate. States would be wise do do the same with their elected people. Stern penalties for corruption because it’s treasonous.

The Supreme Court should rule solely with the Constitution 100% of the time.
      A lifetime job was supposed to resist corruption but that didn’t work so well.
      They take the pledge of allegiance and better follow it or they are out.

I seems to me that lobbying is money influencing decisions. Something wrong there. I think that’s where corporations get to run our lives.

Would you like to reply or disagree to any of that?

DonJ

1. Jchaplin

Cannabis was first made illegal in Texas to as a reason to deport Mexican immigrants.

1. lo_sciacallo

There are actually a number of reasons it was first made illegal, You are right, Mexican day labour was smoking it and the white establishment wanted some some way to oppress them further. Same with AfroAmericans; they didn’t want that smooth-talking black man with his wacky tobacky talking their white women into bed.
          Secondly, it was threatening the cotton industry because hemp is the strongest, cheapest and best quality textile known to man.
          Thirdly, it was also threatening the prescription drug companies’ business. They were well aware of the medicinal properties of mary jane and didn’t want people using anything other than their lab-cooked poisons that they can use to promote further illnesses and, thus push more lab-cooked poisons on us. So, they manufactured this BS about it being a dangerous drug. Check out the 1930′s era movie, “ReeferMadness”, it shows the propaganda campaign that was promoted to rid America of a lot of what it perceived as problems. Also, check out the movie, “Grass: The History of Cannabis” narrated by Woody Harrelson. This movie will give you the real story about marijuana, and the reasons for it becoming illegal. A friend with weed is a friend indeed.

2. Don J

Here are the reasons, dates and people that made marijuana and hemp illegal in 1920 and it still stands today. It took me nine hours to find this one page and it ended up too big to paste here so I put it on my own site, here’s the link.

Don’t vote for a Congressman, Senator or Mayor that won’t decriminalize marijuana and hemp.

2. mickey

I did go to the site and read the article. It was very interesting and should be viewed by more of the public.

I don’t have much problem with MJ just the other drugs. but it is a problem when industry keeps the real reason why it is banned.

Imagine, running a car on hemp. No big oil revenue for the politicians.

We need to see what is in these bills being signed. obama signed the equalization thing just because blacks had more crack arrests than whites with cocaine possession.

This country is in a mess and it is our fault. Politicians can only last so long as we vote them in. Corporation buying and lobbyists buying can only occur because we let it.

We see what happens to Ron Paul for speaking the truth–hardly made a dent in the debates. I think all colors are beginning to see we are in the wrong direction for what is best for all of us.

Thanks for posting the cite.

2. mickey

Many are in the mental hospitals or are your neighbor because of the cross usage of drugs. MJ is about like getting drunk. Not really a good thing but the others are dangerous or they wouldn’t be in a mix of pharms by prescription.

Try the link provided on why hemp is banned. It is very interesting.