Ron Paul: Congress Could End Obama’s Wars

The Trouble With Unconstitutional Wars

by Ron Paul

Our foreign policy was in the spotlight last week, which is exactly where it should be. Almost two years ago many voters elected someone they thought would lead us to a more peaceful, rational co-existence with other countries. However, while attention has been focused on the administration’s disastrous economic policies, its equally disastrous foreign policies have exacerbated our problems overseas. Especially in times of economic crisis, we cannot afford to ignore costly foreign policy mistakes. That’s why it is important that U.S. foreign policy receive some much needed attention in the media, as it did last week with the leaked documents scandal.

Many are saying that the Wikileaks documents tell us nothing new. In some ways this is true. Most Americans knew that we have been fighting losing battles. These documents show just how bad it really is. The revelation that Pakistani intelligence is assisting the people we are bombing in Afghanistan shows the quality of friends we are making with our foreign policy. This kind of thing supports points that Rep. Dennis Kucinich and I tried to make on the House floor last week with a privileged resolution that would have directed the administration to remove troops from Pakistan pursuant to the War Powers Resolution.

We are not at war with Pakistan. Congress has made no declaration of war. (Actually, we made no declaration of war on Iraq or Afghanistan either, but that is another matter.) Yet we have troops in Pakistan engaging in hostile activities, conducting drone attacks and killing people. We sometimes manage to kill someone who has been identified as an enemy, yet we also kill about 10 civilians for every 1 of those. Pakistani civilians are angered by this, yet their leadership is mollified by our billions in bribe money. We just passed an appropriations bill that will send another $7.5 billion to Pakistan. One wonders how much of this money will end up helping the Taliban. This whole operation is clearly counterproductive, inappropriate, immoral and every American who values the rule of law should be outraged. Yet these activities are being done so quietly that most Americans, as well as most members of the House, don’t even know about them.

We should follow constitutional protocol when going to war. It is there for a reason. If we are legitimately attacked, it is the job of Congress to declare war. We then fight the war, win it and come home. War should be efficient, decisive and rare. However, when Congress shirks its duty and just gives the administration whatever it wants with no real oversight or meaningful debate, wars are never-ending, wasteful, and political. Our so-called wars have become a perpetual drain on our economy and liberty.

The founders knew that heads of state are far too eager to engage in military conflicts. That is why they entrusted the power to go to war with the deliberative body closest to the people – the Congress. Decisions to go to war need to be supported by the people. War should not be covert or casual. We absolutely should not be paying off leaders of a country while killing their civilians without expecting to create a lot of new problems. This is not what America is supposed to be about.

1. Ron Paul 2012 for a real change!!

2. Go-go Ron Paul!!!
    Go-go Gadget!!!!! ;)

3. Yeah, what the hell happened to the sixties. The people got no back bone.. and neither does [most of] our congress. The war could be over tomorrow if we fought for it today here at home. BRING OUR TROOPS BACK.. WE FIGHT NOT A WAR FOR FREEDOM, NOT A WAR FOR DEMOCRACY, BUT A WAR OF HYPOCRISY AND GREED.

4. No war without a declaration.

5. i always felt right about writing his name on that ballot in '08.still have no regrets.

6. 1978CamaroRedneck

RON PAUL 2012

7. The Korean War was a terrible precedent to set. No American lives should be forfeited for any reason other than the defense of American soil, period. Even then only as a last resort.

8. "This is not what America is supposed to be about" -Ron Paul
    And sadly our masses of ignorant lemmings prefer to think that American Idol is more important than our nation being destroyed by illegal wars, illegal laws, corporatist, Marxist, and socialist bureaucrats. Perhaps the greatest mistake we ever made was not demanding a competence test for the electorate to cast their ballots.

9. Ron Paul keeps on keeping on telling the truth! & Not going to stand back in doing it! He certainly gains my respect even more.

10. Ron Paul knows what's up! I voted for Obama last time, but he is a major liar and NWO scum! I am totally voting for Ron Paul this time, because he is honest, true, and knows what is really going on in the world!

Ron Paul 2012!!!!!

• Don't feel bad about voting for Obama. He hoodwinked most people to begin with. Just his reasoned, intellectual speech differentiated him so much with Bush. That breath of fresh air was welcomed by many (including myself) after listening to Bush gaffes and watch Bush destroy the nation along with her reputation. In fact I owe Obama a debt. His wave of populism got me to watch the debates. I remember at the first I was so excited about the democratic debates. So excited that I started even to watch the boring Republican debates.

In the midst of those Republican debates I saw this one guy that was kinda different. And then one day he stood up to a Guiliani person. In a time when one wasn't allowed to question what the american goverment was doing because it was unpatriotic. I think people forget that time now. I remember suppressing treacherous thoughts like maybe war isn't a solution because saying it would get me dirty looks. And then a Dr. from Texas said to the nation aloud that war as an instrument of policy was wrong. I thought he's right, I've always felt this way, I just wasn't brave enough to say it because I felt alone. Then this Guilani told him to take it back. And I thought he's going to retract his statements now before the shitstorm hits. But then he said " I believe very sincerly...... and way too much blowback!!!"

I've been hooked ever since. I've learned so much since that time about the constitution, sound money, austrian econmics, central planning etc. etc. etc. I've learned so much in fact now if I was just a lone wolf screaming at the night I would because I have the strength of conviction at my back always now.

I'm just glad you're with Ron now sir, and with me and an army of patriots. Keep up the good fight.

11. Team Roomba made me promise to vote for Ron Paul.

12. I want to vote for Ron, even if I can't since not living in the us

13. PETER SCHIFF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj1xlGHdx-A

14. way to tell it like it is Ron...the only elected official that speaks to us.

15. We're oft to blame, and this is too much proved, that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar on the devil himself.

16. Leagalize the constitution Ron Paul Revolution

17. Ron Paul is a American Hero!!!!!!!

18. I pray it's not too late to make amends...

19. All they need to do is vote down appropriations bills for these wars!

20. Ron Paul is my Home-boy!
    Revolution 2012!