912 responses to “Ron Paul to Sunshine Patriots: Stop Your Demagogy About The NYC Mosque!”

1. Ira

It is a noteworthy point that the Mosque issue can be a distraction from other issues. However, in today’s poll about 90%+ Americans are engrossed in this controversy and they all cannot be fooled by the “okey doke” of this issue. If this issue was simply about the “sensatives” vs. the “racists”, Paul would be 100% in the right. Just because the President has his head in the sand or maybe up his……..? does not mean we should not look at the compelling issue of this historical move to build mosques as “war memorials”. If I am correct, in that history once again, triumphs ignorance, than this Mosque, if built, will be another as others before;, a hot spot and magnet for their radical fringe.

1. Ira

3 to one against kinda of makes my point. :-) however, i would not expect it here. sometimes the truth hurts, especially when you find out this issue is not a constitutional one and nothing to do with freedom of religion. to begin with show me where in the constitution there is protection for a group of people with a religion that also, per Imam Rauf, a legal institution, espousing Sharia Law for the United States and is also a political entity? Start thinking folks and forget the knee jerk reactions based on what you know and go find out what you don’t know.

2. Will Gerard

Obviously those who negatively rated my last comment are ignorant of the full context of the Popper quote and proved my point.

3. Jason Jansky

@Eileen: Ron Paul “too flip-floppy?” He’s probably the only politician in Washington that hasn’t flip-flopped.

4. Eileen Heath

I usually dislike Ron Paul on the basis of being a bit too flip-floppy for my vote and me being a Republican. I will now consider strongly my vote for him when he decides to re-run for presidency.
    For all those crowing about insensitivity – how about banning hotdog carts from operating near mosques and synagogues?
    Just saying.

1. Ty

Eileen, Im not going to jump on you for thinking Dr. Paul is “flip floppy”. Instead I encourage you to look at Ron Paul’s record and where he has stood on the issues throughout his career. You may suprise yourself

5. Scott

Thank you for your comments Mr Paul, I do not agree with everything you say but you hit this one right on the head.

6. Texas Aggie

For those of you who are ranting about Sharia and how awful it is, please explain how it is any different from what you want when you talk about how we are a Christian nation and need to have our laws built on the Bible. You Reconstructionists are advocating exactly the same thing that is in Sharia, at least its most extreme forms.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 20 Thumb down 4

1. fred the protectionist

Uh, our laws are based on Christianity, we are a Christian nation, and a vast majority of Americans oppose Islamic law.

“For what it’s worth, the most liberal form of Sharia is more liberal than current US law.”

You idiots are clueless.

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 30

1. Mike

Fred,

The nation wasn’t founded on “Christian values”; it was founded on religious freedom.

The Founding Fathers, largely, weren’t Christians, they were Deists.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 21 Thumb down 3

1. disc3rn

Mike, you’re absolutely right.
          But, religious freedom in America assumes separation of church and state. What happens when a religion is allowed freedoms but doesn’t respect separation? We might find out soon enough…

2. Larry the Libertarian

Why we’re not one nation “under God.”

Great snippet from the article:

“When Benjamin Franklin proposed during the Constitutional Convention that the founders begin each day of their labors with a prayer to God for guidance, his suggestion was defeated.”

If you repeat a rumor/lie long enough, people start to believe it is true. Like the false statement that we were founded on Christian principles yet our Constitution is completely ‘godless’, except to separate religion from state matters. Even the Declaration states,”We hold these truths to be self-evident” no need to be a ‘believer’ to understand the truths; indeed it does mention endowment by the Creator, and Nature’s God, but no mention of Jesus, the Bible, Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, Krishna, etc. It is religiously agnostic.

3. Ty

First, I am a christian. I believe that Jesus is the son of God and that he paid the ultimate sacrifice for our forgiveness.

Fred, tell me where in the declaration, constitution, bill of rights ANY U.S. document that state clearly this is a nation under a Judeo-Christian God. Show me where in any of these papers where it says our rights and liberties are based from any scripture in the Bible.

If you think this nation is a christian nation, well, I dont think we should boasting the history of this country on the foundation of Christianity. I am appalled to think that slavery, racism, corruption, and murder (native americans who were here once, remember them?) is part of the Christianity you think this country is founded on and follows!

7. Will Gerard

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. — Karl Popper

If we should be forced to allow the mosque, then the Saudis should be forced to allow us to drape the kaaba with a huge American flag every 9/11. Memes matter!

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 6 Thumb down 19

8. Virginia

Ron Paul is my hero !

9. Politits

I am a left leaning centrist and while I do not agree with the policies Mr. Paul might want to implement to fix our nation’s problems at least he actually is aware of them. I also respect him for being consistant to the core conservative values he says he represents rather than being all over the map just to score political points.

With all due respect to those who died durring 9-11, to object to this community center just because is is an Islamic based center is Islamophobic. This faux outrage was created by political idealogs wanting to score political points exploiting the emotions of people involved. Truth is they don’t give a rat’s ass about 9-11 or the victims, just getting elected and keeping their power base. A lot of these same people backed Ann Coulter when she bad-mouthed the 9-11 widows, a contradictory view as they hold now, just to score political points. These are the same people who voted against giving medical care to 9-11 first responders 9 freaking years after the fact on pure political grounds.

Ron Paul is dead on right. America isn’t going broke due to the implementation of “Islamic fascism/Sharia Law”, America is going broke due to the irrational response to the “Islamic fascism/Sharia Law” strawman fabricated by the political idealogs.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 29 Thumb down 6

1. Samih

Excellent point! If you travel the Islamic world, they love the freedom we have here. Americans get to practice the faith as they see fit………People in the Middle East want that too. The vast majority want their Islam and dont want Shariah Law……the same way the majority of Americans want Christianity but dont want Biblical Law. Americans are too uninformed or misinformed to learn that this War on Terror is really between Al Qaeda and Washington. Both groups decieved, lie, and kills their own populaitons in order to achieve their own goals. And for us Americans………Washington DC is our greatest enemy!!

10. William Kempner

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 49

1. Miguel Ortega

Dr. Paul definitely served in the Air Force. I see you have no knowledge of Dr. Paul or what he believes in. Just because things are “sensitive” does not give a right for discrimination against any religion. This has to be the dumbest quote I have heard in a while and shows your ignorance and its people with these beliefs that destroy what we are suppose to stand for, “What Ron Paul doesn’t get is that this isn’t a matter of constitutional rights! ” EVERYTHING IS A MATTER OF CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS! When blacks and minorities were segregated from white America just the thought of ending institutional racism was a hard pill to take. Read his statement, learn who Ron Paul is, and understand his statement. The thing about Ron Paul as a politician you know where he stands. Why? Because when things come up in the media or bills read the constitution and if it violates it then guess what it gets a big NO in the House. That is the way it should be. Ron Paul 2012.

11. Aquagrump

I am a regular liberal commentator on the Florida Today newspaper’s website. I have been saying that this attack on the First Amendment isn’t a left verses right issue but an attack on what it is that makes us Americans.

For as long as long as there has been a First Amendment it has been under attack. In fact the armed forces oath of enlistment includes language, “…that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same..” for good reason. Many have served and died, many are serving and dying right now, and unfortunately many have yet to do so, defending our country, our constitution, and our freedom. But today the greatest enemy isn’t the radical terrorists hiding in caves in Afghanistan and Pakistan. (They are dangerous and they are indeed out to get us.) The greatest enemy of freedom is fear and those who use it to gain political advantage. So regardless if you’re liberal or conservative we owe it to those who serve, our children, our grandchildren and to ourselves stand up and shout out that this attack on our freedom will not stand.

I am glad to see a conservative leader like Representative Paul step up and say so eloquently say what needed saying.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 32 Thumb down 3

1. fred the protectionist

That’s funny, you leftists are always trying to abolish Christianity.

And Libertarians are Liberal, not Conservative.

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 23

1. Mike

Actually Fred, if you knew anything about Libertarianism, you’d know that it has both conservative and liberal branches.

‘Extreme’ versions of libertarianism include both anarchistic and transhumanist factions.

A bit of research on what you claim to belong to would probably be a good thing.

12. Graham

I live in NY, have friends who were there at the World Trade Center on 9/11. You think their anger at this Mosque is manufactured? You think the families of the victims are driven by a neo-con pro-war agenda? How dare you accuse New Yorkers of being driven by hate and Islamaphobia! Dr. Paul, I respect a lot of your views on the economy, but on this issue you are clueless. Your comments above make it clear to me you could never be president of this country.

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 35

13. Scott Hansen

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 42

1. Miguel Ortega

I am a Veteran that has served two combar tours in Afghanistan and I am still serving in the Marine Corp. You know nothing about Ron Paul and your completely idiotic statement proves my point. This is not Christianity vs Islam, this isn’t Americans vs Islam, and this isn’t anything against Islam. It doesn’t matter if its Islamic or not it could be anybody and by them being protested and denied the RIGHT to build wherever they want is completely insane. We have something called the Constitution and this piece of paper which to many means nothing is the foundation of our nation. When we have disputes in law and it goes to the highest courts what do the Justices refer to for clarification? THE CONSTITUTION! We as true Americans following the constitution stand up for anyone whos rights are being violated reguardless of “sensitivity” I am serving my country I’ve been overseas twice so don’t give me the bull that Veterans oppose Islam or the constitution. As veterans it’s sad to see your statement even though just like I did we raised our hands and swore to PROTECT THE CONSTITUTION FROM FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC ENEMIES! Stop being ignorant, learn about the constitution, about our nation, about or world, and stand up for what is right and what our founding fathers wanted for us because that is true liberty not this liberty erroding socialist state we now call America. Our domestic enemies are worst than our foreign enemies.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 27 Thumb down 3

1. fred the protectionist

And what does that mean to me? Many veterans who served in the Mexican-American war turned out to be traitors in the Civil War.

14. Brenda

I am not a Ron Paul fan at all never have been. Since Ron Paul has the right to free speech I do as well. This is sick to call people that do not want a Mulim Mosque at ground zero bigots and prejudice is sick and just offensive. Muslims are peace loving people my you know what. Do you people see the beheadings and stonings. I am not talking abour terriorists I am talking about Mulims standing in the street doing this stuff. If that is peaceful you are all insane. What about the young girl that had a brick droped on her head that is sick!!! You say it will not happen here guess again. Two girls shot by their Muslim dad, a Muslim man rapes his exwife all in the name of Islam. Obviously like any other relion there are the good and then the really bad but how do you tell which one is bad you don’t. Look at Europe they are free to practice their faith and have Shiriah law courts where in all this are they going by the law of the land?? I am admitting I am scared of Muslims and I am scared of their justice system. I for one do not want any part of it. You all say that we should embrace and accept. I want to know where they embrace and accept other religions they don’t PERIOD!!!

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 29

15. BJ

I posted this on Facebook with the comment “Here’s a real man”..

16. mohammed ali farha

Our liberty, freedom, and morality are on the line. Islam phobia lives all around me but I still try my hardest to educate the masses as much as possible that Islam just like our fellow Christians and Hebrew brothers and sisters alike are for peace, and nobody installs hatred for one and another due to their religious beliefs. Americans come from different facet of life and we live in harmony, peace, and tranquility. American Muslim are so quiet because it is pretty hard to defend the mind sets and the opinion of the masses due to a select few who have went off board in the name of God. My perspective as an American about Islam phobia is that people in general due in fact judge “Islam Phobia” the book by its cover, and that my friends is a shame in so many words.
    God bless America.
    M. FARHA
    08/24/2010

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 21 Thumb down 5

17. Not usually a Paul fan

I don’t usually agree with Ron Paul about anything but this is extremely good sense.

To those of you who think that we should oppose Cordoba House on the grounds that it will be divisive – cause riots, social unrest, whatever – consider how that argument would have been applied by those who opposed the civil rights movement; integrated schools, for example. “Don’t rock the boat” is not a sufficient reason to give your sanction to bigotry. Should Rosa Parks just have taken it on the chin?

To those of you wetting the bed about Sharia law, I note that there is very little panic about the Jewish religious courts that currently exist. Most people get that it’s impossible to stop people agreeing amongst themselves to be bound by those sorts of adjudications; and obviously where religious law conflicts with the law of the land, the law of the land trumps it. If I am a Christian who puts my child to death for apostasy, as the Old Testament requires, I can’t argue that my actions were legal because they’re OK’d by the Bible, can I?

I live in the UK, so I also want to point out that the chicken-hearted fear-mongers who think that we’re in the middle of some sort of Islamofascist cultural coup are lying to you. We’re just not. At best, they’re swallowing the self-serving propaganda that comes out of avowedly racist violent thug militias like the English Defence League and the British National Party. Aligning yourself with those guys is essentially the same as marching with the KKK.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 26 Thumb down 6

1. Miguel Ortega

Stand up for peoples rights! Follow the Constitution! Anything unconstitutional that errodes the peoples liberty should be taken out! Agreed. And maybe you two can be a Ron Paul fan because this is what we as supporters stand for. A free America reguardless of who you are or what you believe in against governments socialist agenda.

18. KBush-no relation

In response to Georgetown: Where are your quotes from George Bush who spoke who spoke out after 9/11, emploring Americans to remember that Islam is a “beautiful religion”? Where were you and the frightened herds when Bush went to the Islamic Center in DC – the Islamic Center of all places – after 9/11 to show his support for Muslims and assure them that our fight was not with Islam? Do you paint Bush with the same brush as Obama? And if not, why not?
    I fear that what is going on now is a “perfect storm” – the confligration of fears of illegal immigrants, a true economic crisis that creates understandable fear in people, and election year politics where republicans will gin up any and all fears possible to get the right people to the polls in November. It’s shameful and its dangerous.
    But to my first point – tell me why Obama and Bush are not joined at the hip here and why you and the republicans are not pointing the finger at Bush who apparently started this campaign of supposed disinformation when he spoke of a peaceful Islam.
    As far as polls showing that 70% of Americans oppose this, I offer the fact that as late as the 2006 elections, polls showed that 60% of Americans thought Iraq had something to do with 9/11 when even George Bush had dispensed with that myth. Freedom of speech and religion is not subject to polling.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 21 Thumb down 5

19. Mark Fey

Ty has read Ron Paul’s statement and the events surrounding this (Ground Zero) kerfuffle exactly right. The professional fear-mongers and their master Rupert Murdock move in lock step to gin up a “controversy” where none exists. These people do not serve their nation and are not patriots.

Newt Gingrich ought to know better, but has become such a self promotional opportunist that he was tempted to throw in with these demagogues. He has never shown himself to be able to resist temptation.

Shame on the lot of them and thank the powers that be that they do NOT SPEAK FOR AMERICA. Even George Bush was more of a patriot than these folk.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 26 Thumb down 7

1. Miguel Ortega

George Bush… two unconstitutional wars built on lies… blantly going against the consitution example the patriot act.. I don’t know about being him being patriotic at all

1. fred the protectionist

Really. So what makes those wars “unconstitutional”?

1. Samih

The Constitiution states that any treaty or charter we sign, becomes as valid as the Constitutional itself…….as binding!! The US violated the UN Charter by not adhereing to it………violating the Constitution!

Love the Republic, Hate the Empire!!

20. Garrick Respress

Senator Paul, I simply wanted to thank you for speaking out. I have been so shocked that Americans are actually standing against religious freedom and our First Amendment rights. Our nation was founded on the principles of freedom. Now, we actually have leaders in this nation standing against those freedoms. I am going from shock to anger!!! Please continue to stand tall and speak out against these misleading agendas (a perpetual & never ending war in the Middle East). Every issue comes down to the invisible “Boogie man” coming to get me and my family. I was raised in Warner Robins, GA, a military town in Middle Georgia. I don’t see it. I don’t believe it. It is a lie! I want to see my government showing as much vigor for me and my fellow Americans. I want to see my government create jobs and ending the gross misuse of my hard labor. Thank you, Senator Paul!

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 17 Thumb down 9

1. fred the protectionist

Last time I checked Ron Paul was a Congressman, not a Senator.

And Florida is in Georgia…

21. Mark Mckay

Ron Paul is the only politician that inspires me enough to want to add my 2c to any public discourse. Where do I even begin, the man has so much dignity and his relentless defense of the Constitution and Bill of Rights is unmatched in public life.

Again, at the risk of facing mob action by the “herd” being led astray by herders with guileful intents, he breaks away from a politically motivated position his own flesh and blood had taken. He reminds us once more of the fundamental issues at play. Not mincing words, and like I would expect, not pussy footing either.

Dr Ron Paul, once more speaks for me and people like me.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 22 Thumb down 9

22. Terry Herbert

open your eyes ron paul…no sharia law in America, look to the case in New Jersey where a judge found a muslim man NOT GUILTY of repeated raping his wife because in their religion a woman man not refuse her husbands sexual advances. You cannot come into this country and bring your countries laws here. The appeals court immediately overturned that ruling and sentenced the man to prison where he belongs. Look at the recent events in Dearborn Michigan where the muslim chief of police arrested christians who attended an islamic festival and were arrested and had their video cameras taken from them….that not enough for you. You for sure know nothing about islam or the quran…i have the book and have spent the last two years studying it…anyone who says it is a benign and peaceful religion who does not condone violence is a damn liar. Not only does the quran condone violence, it ADVOCATES it in many instances. Perhaps you should do a little homework on muhammed…who was a WARMONGER. You politicians who never had to work for a living make me sick with your platitudes. I am sure this comment will never make it to the public view, but I do not really care. On my website we have highlighted you as a bad politician.

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 17 Thumb down 44

23. Mdostal02

Dear Fred the Protectionist,

What are you protecting, exactly? The flavor-of-the-decade old rich white guy mainstream faux politcal morality? You add nothing of worth to the discussion. You are the whimpering gasp of a dying breed. Please surrender your clammy grip on the planet along with your generation’s so those of us with brains might clean up this massive mess.

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 23 Thumb down 17

1. Ty

*two thumbs up from me

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 15 Thumb down 5

2. fred the protectionist

What the hell is a “flavor-of-the-decade old rich white guy mainstream faux politcal morality”?

3. Davido

Fred the Protectionist (aka Forest, aka many made-up characters on this board) has as much insight as the common sea slug. Ideas older than the ocean floor, with as much neural complexity to his arguments as his ancient vestige of a nervous system. Brainstem hyper-activity allows only fear-attack responses of violence, vengence and primitive hostility when threatened. Keep your hands and toes away from him during transport. He’s been known to take a pinky or big toe with those sharp primate incisors

24. Ty

Where are these Islamaphobic racist getting their information from?! Could it be from Hannity, Beck, Bill-O ,who daily insult the American people’s intellect? From the start, these TV personalities have used the fear tactic that if they build the mosque sharia law will creep into and take over American society!!! WTF?! To those who follow & believe this rhetoric, let me ask you something. Would your mothers/wifes/daughters allow themselves to be governed by sharia law? Would you let anyone force sharia law on the female members of your family? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT!!!!! One of the many beautiful things about the civil rights and liberties Americans have, thanks to our constitution, is the freedom of religious practice. YOU decide what to believe in, what church/synagogue/mosque to attend and all WITHOUT FEAR OF TRIAL OR PERSECUTION! Yet these TV personalites, who have multi-million dollar incentive based salaries, want you to believe that this one building or this one Imam will take that all away from you. How can you sit back and believe this garbage? Turn off the television and read the Constitution of the United States of America.

A good friend of mine told me recently “Fear leads to hate, hate leads to preoccupation, preoccupation becomes fixation, fixation becomes FANATICISM”. Using a fear tactic is all too common-place throughout American history and at the hands of the elite. Are they the ones living in Iraq & Afghanistan on constant alert for i.e.d’s or armed TERRORISTS (not armed muslims)? No, they are here stoking the war-flame so they can continue to take their vacations to St. Barts or Marthas Vineyard.

You are being fooled into believing this rhetoric. We all know the corruption that lies within our government, so are we too foolish not see this as a grand distraction? What about REAL american issues? Economy? Border? WAR? Obamacare? The only person I know that wants to handle them is RON PAUL!

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 37 Thumb down 14

1. SR Luttrell

Ty, You said, “…armed TERRORISTS (not armed muslims)?”

Haven’t you heard? ALL those terrorists ARE “armed Muslims!”

2. Ty

SR,

Your proving my point even further and dont even know it. No sh*t, the 19 terrorists involved in 9/11 and the taliban (who we trained & against Russia, crazy right?) were RADICAL EXTREMISTS muslims.

Havent you heard? NOT ALL MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS!!!

25. Ash

fred, maybe you could explain why you think libertarians are “liberals”, especially since libertarians support free markets, whereas you support liberal protectionism.

Also, for someone who claims to oppose liberalism, you have no problem taking a page out of the liberal playbook and play the race/victim card.

1. fred the protectionist

Wrong. Conservatives support an America first trade policy, Liberals support Free Trade.

26. Alan

Congressman Paul argues (here and in a CNN interview on this subject) that we should recognize not Islam as such, but the Islamic splinter group,
    al Qaeda, as our enemy, and act accordingly. But this depends very much on who “we” are. America is a nation of Christian traditions with mostly
    secular concerns; we call it, “business as usual.” But we contain many subgroups; is Islam avowedly hostile to Christian America, or to the America
    of business-as-usual…or to someone else? Yes, Osama bin Laden is anti-business; apparently preferring the economics of Biblical times, to which
    he’d like to return us all. But does he represent even his own native Saudi Arabia, whose oil has been given such value by an American-led modern
    economy, let alone Islam in general? His organization, al Qaeda (The Base), attacked us on 9/11/01 in the name of Islam; we’ve all heard that Islam
    is a warlike faith — aren’t they all? — but who is Islam’s avowed enemy? We, who have never fought a war of invasion on our own soil, naturally recoil
    at the suggestion of a permanent symbol of an enemy at the site of his attack; it proclaims that he has successfully established a beachhead, having
    marked it with his flag. A mosque represents Islam; but was this an attack by Islam, or by certain Islamists? We can debate whether Islam is truly our
    enemy, but to know whether we are Islam’s is much easier; has Islam declared war on America? No? Then, has it declared war on anyone else?
    Yes — Islam has declared war on Zionism, which is the nationalist movement of organized Judaism; and which has established a beachhead in what
    Islamists consider their territory, which is Israel. What has this got to do with America? Fearing for the precarious position of their declared homeland,
    influential American Zionists have labored tirelessly to make us believe that Israel’s danger is ours, and that her enemies are America’s; to where our
    constant, compulsive meddling in others’ affairs have nearly made that dream come true. Yes, we have common interests; and so a mutual defense
    pact is in effect to protect these. But Saddam’s Iraq was a potential threat — to Israel, not to America — so under the patently ridiculous pretext of Iraq’s
    “WMDs”, we undertook to invade the most culturally pro-Western Arab nation, to depose and execute its ruler, and to build a new nation from its ashes.
    This goes much beyond mutual defense! Our belief in the need to defend Israel “at any cost” has been so interwoven into our culture that it blurs the
    American sense of national identity. The neo-conservatives for example, presumably the most traditonalist among us, include a very strong Christian
    element; but many of these are not traditionalists, but End-Timers and Born-Agains, who believe that today’s Israel is the Israel of the Bible, that these
    are the “last days”, and that they must defend Israel in preparation for the return of Christ. We have every reason to believe that President G. W. Bush
    and his Cabinet were of this general persuasion; or at least, were not taking any chances. This is by no means the only tie that binds Americans’ sense
    of nationality to that foreign power, only one of the deepest. So who are we? Traditonal, business-as-usual America is not the enemy of Islam; but an
    opportunity that they can take or leave as they please; nor is Islam our enemy. But the longer America remains so closely bound up with Islam’s enemy,
    the more we become Israel-by-proxy; then the more we become Islam’s enemy in fact, if not in spirit. Indeed, by reacting to events such as the planned
    mosque as though Islam were an enemy; are we not doing the bidding of Israel, our puppet-master, and making the prophesy self-fulfilling?

1. fred the protectionist

You have an interesting way of setting up paragraphs.

27. Stan

As a flaming liberal I never thought I’d be posting a positive comment on a Ron Paul blog or that I’d find out about the post from a story on MSNBC.

Although I see this situation as a First Amendment issue instead of an issue of property rights, I still agree with the observation that this could be a “grand opportunity” instead of a “grand distraction.”

To repurpose a somewhat tired slogan…”if the building of the Islamic Center is halted, the terrorists win.” Let’s face it, the purpose of terrorism is to create fear. If there is enough fear in NYC to force the building not to open, the terrorists win.

28. william ridenour

I’ve been looking though the commentary and have to say I’m largely disappointed. I had hoped for a higher level of exchange, but substitution of ad hominem attacks for real intellectual engagement with contrary opinions seem just as common here as on any analogous site of radical lefties.
    The absolute refusal to look at what Islam actually is, blinded as so many are by mindless ideological devotion, comes at your peril.
    You’re looking at a religion that is unrepentantly hegemonic, imperialist, intolerant and has nothing but contempt for the sacred/secular division we take for granted in the west—they plainly state no such separation exists in the Islamic world; state and religion are one.
    This is already causing tremendous problems in Europe as Muslims game their systems to incrementally gain more and more ground. Soon Muslims will be a majority there and Islamic absolutism will increasingly boldly confront the feckless and rickety structure of European positive law and its decadent rootless society, based upon secularism and moral relativism.
    Such is the hegemonic, imperialist nature of Islam. Ponder this, young Libertarians, while you see your unrecognizable grand daughter photographed in a bourka. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 23

1. Neocons/liberatriansarefinished

W. Ridenour are you sure you are not talking about our own Christian American Taliban?

Normally I dont find Paul to be very rational when it comes to living in the real world.
      But this press release is enough to bring tears to your eyes.
      I still think libertarians are generally delusional but he has hit a homerun with this statement.

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 9

2. Ground

“You’re all blind because you don’t agree with my brainless conflation of the dictates of religious verse and the practice of provisionally religious people. Despite the fact that I’ve failed to provide one mechanism by which the American system in particular could possibly be taken over by Islamists, despite the fact that I’ve failed to recognize any of the larger, structural reasons why the Islamic world is governed the way it is, and despite the fact that I’m reducing thousands of years of history to the rabble-rousing view of Islam I’ve heard from Grand Wizard WhiteCloak, you’re all babies who…JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND!”

29. Matt Raft

Sir, you make me proud to be an American. Thank you.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 15 Thumb down 4

30. Georgetown

For all of you that do not know United Trinity Church that bo attended is for both Christians and Muslims
    “That ..central part of Christianity was not required at Obama’s former church, the Trinity United Church of Christ, when Obama attended while in Chicago and he has not attended another church with any frequency since then. In addition, there was no necessary renunciation of his prior faith, Islam, because in that church one can be both a Muslim and a member.”

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 20

1. Neoconsarefinished

Georgetown please take your meds.
      He is not a Muslim.
      He never was.
      And you are posting lies that you heard from either Faux or some Teahadist.

31. Stefan

Islam did not attack us. That is it he made it perfectly clear he used some great analogies if you don’t get you have to be missing the point.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 20 Thumb down 4

32. Mike Jaeger

The buzz… Conserving many cultures, liberty, and justice while opposing empire building and tyranny from monopolies is a big job. Democrats and Republicans had better decide soon to save America. Will America stay surrendered to the few families who now own her… endless wars, endless conflicts, propaganda, entertainment and corruption is all they produce… this is all they know. I support a Free Web Press, and I fight for a free America. Is Ron Paul the real leader in America ? More web coverage on Ron Paul than any other congressman. http://www.freewebpress.com – Ron Paul is featured on the front page.

33. Georgetown

Ron Paul- I am disappointed in you. Out of all people, surely you are aware that the First Amendment has limitations. For instance you cannot yell “fire “in a crowded theater unless there is Clear and Present Danger. Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919) , in a unanimous opinion(9-0) written by Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.:

“The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent”

Building the Mosque is meant to do harm, the term Cordoba is offensive, and surely there will be a fight for the land site.People are still hurting and there is absolutely no reason to cause further harm by building a mosque there. As you know there are over 1,200 mosques in the US as of now. And one 8 blocks from the site. Another site has been offered but they refuse. It is an intentional infliction of emotional distress. And it should be stopped, and will be. You are on the wrong side of the issue.
    I am disappointed in your lack of sensitivity to this issue Mr. Paul.

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 37

1. Isaac

your perception of it as an affront only underlines your prejudices.

1. fred the protectionist

Prejudices? He hates whites, males, Christians, straights and squares?

34. Georgetown

Bo has an Islamic agenda. He says it here in the Cairo speech: (June 4, 2009)

“So I have known Islam on three continents before coming to the region where it was first revealed. That experience guides my conviction that partnership between America and Islam must be based on what Islam is, not what it isn’t. And I consider it part of my responsibility as President of the United States to fight against negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear.” (Applause.)

Did you get that? Its his responsibility as the leader in US to fight for Islam.

“That is why there is a mosque in every state in our union, and over 1,200 mosques within our borders. That’s why the United States government has gone to court to protect the right of women and girls to wear the hijab and to punish those who would deny it.” (Applause.)

So bo’s administration will Punish the US and protect the Islamic rights as promised. Yes he does exactly that, siding with the GZ mosque:

“But let me be clear. As a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as everyone else in this country. And that includes the right to build a place of worship……

He does not care about American beliefs feelings, pain or agony. Only advancing the Islamic Muslim agenda.
    a

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 29

1. Neoconsarefinished

GorgeTown you really know how to cut , paste and twist words to suit your delusions and bigotry.
      Why are cons/libertarians such scared and whiney people?
      Do you not believe our country is strong enough to overcome religious fanatics?

Fight the American Taliban

35. Bill

On the nose, as always.

RP for Prez 2012.

You’ve got my vote. Just like last time. Maybe this time enough people are awake enough to what’s been going on in this country to figure out you’re the man, Ron Paul.

Just hope the media and the GOP give you a fair shake. The way they treated you last time was abhorrent. The only man on stage making any sense… and they snickered at you. Especially the neo-cons.

It’s almost like the political elite don’t want to fix problems… they just wanna stay in office. Sad.

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 6