Ron Paul: Without Hate For Islam Our Aggressive Foreign Policy Couldn’t Continue

Ron Paul speaks out against the warmongering demagogues who attempt to link Islam with Al Qaeda. Stop fanning the flames of hate and don’t manipulate the public into supporting the continuation of an aggressive foreign policy that now threatens to bankrupt America!

Related Content: Ron Paul’s NYC Mosque Press Release

Show: CNN American Morning
Channel: CNN
Date: 08/24/2010

Transcript

CNN Anchor: It’s safe to say that you were Tea Party before Tea Party was cool, Congressman Paul. And we’re noticing a lot of Tea Party candidates all over the country today. Is this going to be a big day for those candidates, or do you think it’s maybe going to be something that the incumbents will hang their hat on, like John McCain out in Arizona?

Ron Paul: Well, I think it will be a mixed bag and I think even though, let’s say, half of the Tea Party candidates win, it’s a pretty big deal. But no, they’re not going to win all their support – you know, everybody they support. I think it will be pretty mixed.

CNN Anchor: And let me ask you about one of the races up in Alaska. Sarah Palin has weighed in, throwing her weight behind the challenger in that race, Joe Miller, running against Senator Makowsky. And I’m just wondering, what do you make of Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Mike Huckabee; some of these big name Republicans sort of weighing in in individual races across the country. Do you think that’s a good idea?

Ron Paul: Oh, I think they’re pretty good. I do it, but I’m very, very selective. I just have trouble finding the candidates I really get enthusiastic about. I want candidates that have a real Constitutional take on foreign policy and civil liberties, the drug war and also on economic matters. But no, I think for them to weigh in, but I want the people to sort all these positions out, so that they know exactly what is being supported, what positions are being supported.

CNN Anchor: Do you think it’s meddling for somebody like Sarah Palin to go into a contest like the one up in Alaska and throw her weight behind the challenger there, or perhaps another state like Georgia where she gets criticized somewhat for doing that down in Georgia?

Ron Paul: No, I wouldn’t call it meddling. I think our presidents have done this for many, many decades, if not ever since the beginning of time, the beginning of our country. So no, I think it’s pretty traditional to do it. Maybe some people overdo it, and exaggerate and do it just to build up chips and get people to support them later on. But no, I wouldn’t use the word ‘meddling’, but sometimes I guess they get overly involved more than they should.

CNN Anchor: Let me ask you about one of the issues that’s come up during a lot of these contests all over the country, and that’s the proposed Islamic center and Mosque near Ground Zero. You came out very much in favor of that project, mainly along libertarian lines, saying that property rights and freedom of religion rights are a big part of this. And on your blog you wrote that opposition to the mosque is all about hate and Islamaphobia. What did you mean about that?

Ron Paul: I think the people who are organizing that is one thing, but now that every candidate gets asked that question, I don’t think you can put them all in the same category. But the organizers, the woman that put this out on her webpage and the people that picked up on it and preached this, yes, I think that they want to continue the hatred towards Islam rather than Al-Qaida in order that justify their foreign policy of intervention and nation building and occupation, because if you don’t have an enemy that you despise, it’s hard to get that support.

But you know, I think it’s turned into another issue as well, maybe your station has reported on this Imam and he seems like a pretty reasonable person. So if he’s a reasonable person that worked for Bush as well as Obama, and he’s making inroads because he’s trying to bring Christians, Jews and Muslims together. So if that would happen, there wouldn’t be as much hatred over there. So I think maybe there are some now that are trying to destroy him and his reputation, and I think that’s going to backfire. It sounds to me, and I don’t know the individual, the Imam, but it sounds to me like he might be a very reasonable person. So in order to perpetuate this foreign policy, not only do they have to perpetuate the hate towards Islam, they have to really destroy somebody who might be bringing the religious factions together.

CNN Anchor: And what do you have to say about former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, comparing this Mosque near ground zero to having Nazi symbols outside of the Holocaust Center. What did you think about that? Was that an appropriate comment, do you think?

Ron Paul: Well, I think he’s overstepped his bounds and I think he’ll suffer the consequences for it, because it was over the top. I mean, to compare this Imam to Hitler and the fact that there are mosques within that area already, and that he ignores the fact that there are strip joints in this area, and he has to go after an Imam that is trying to bring people together, yeah, I think for a bright guy like Newt Gingrich on some of the issues, I would say, politically he’s made a major mistake.

CNN Anchor: Do you think he should apologize for that comment?

Ron Paul: I don’t believe in these apology games. He’s going to have to apologize to himself. He’s going to be sorry, but being sorry about what he did and recognize it will be a much bigger deal than if the media comes and badgers him in into making a public apology. But maybe he’ll come around to that, but it should be spontaneous and earnest but not as a reaction to badgering by the media: “When are you going to apologize?” I never quite thought that was good.

CNN Anchor: What about your son, Rand Paul, who’s running for that Senate seat down in Kentucky. He’s taken a slightly different position than you and has essentially come out against the project. Is that causing any friction in the Paul family?

Ron Paul: No, as a matter of fact, I really haven’t spoken to him about it. But I think he’s in a category of most of the people who are running for office who get pushed, and rightfully so, by their opposition or by the media and say, “What is your position, do you want it or not?” and he’s taken a different position. But that isn’t my concern as much as the people who started on the website and picked it up and the politicians who are trying to gain a lot of points. And they’re active in promoting this mainly because they believe in an interventionist foreign policy and they want to make sure that Islam is blamed rather than Al-Qaida. And so yes, I think it’s okay to have a disagreement on exactly what we should do with the mosque. As a matter of fact, my emphasis is not on should the mosque be built or shouldn’t it be built, that is very secondary. Everybody recognizes on private property and a place of worship… we’re supposed to protect that.

CNN Anchor: Your problem is more in playing the politics, you feel that some of these people are playing politics with this is what you’re essentially saying. What about the president, did he make a mistake weighing in on this controversy, do you think? Did he inflame this controversy by weighing in on it?

Ron Paul: You know, some people are saying this, especially on the conservative side, but actually I didn’t think his statement was all that bad. I thought it was conciliatory in trying to bring people together. I mean, he and Bush both hired the Imam to go over and promote bringing the religious factors together. So no, I wouldn’t go out of my way to condemn him for saying that. Now politically he may have stirred the flames, because that just gave more ammunition to the conservatives who like to pick anything he says and make a political issue out of it. But I don’t think it’s the right one. I’d rather pick issues like too much spending and why he’s expanding the war in Afghanistan. But since too many conservatives like the expansion of the war in Afghanistan, you know, they are willing to go and attack him because he might send a message that they disagree with. But no, I don’t think his statement was all that bad.

• ilovesudan

this guy could save the world — RON PAUL 2012

• mellamosean

Thank goodness for people like Ron Paul who don’t sound like puppets…or so it seems to me at this point in time.

• SeeProfileForDetails

Ron Paul prefers women to be oppressed in Islam and denies terrorism exists, it’s all because of white people.

• MicahBurke101

i hate muslims

• christ ryan

Muslims should be invited very politely to leave America and live in the deepest part of the oceans. Enemies of mankind each and every one. Not a single exception

• Tehmutednoob

Who the fuck is this KenMacMillian guy and why has he comment raped this video.

• mangoswiss

He has a book on Trump on his bookshelf :)

• KenMacMillan

Afghanistan, that country stolen by muslims from India, would be a soviet territory right now without American involvement and if they had handed over Bin Laden after 911 they’d still be free to beat, rape, mutilate, and kill eachother in the name of god like they were before the invasion. Palestine? That place doesn’t exist, you must mean Israel. Israel is a sovereign country in its own right, formed on the land stolen from its people by muslims. What does that have to do with oil?

• KenMacMillan

That’s right, America was built on the labor of African slaves bought from muslims at a global market that was already 900 years old at the time. Funny how you didn’t address the fact that 20% of the population of Saudi Arabia was slaves in the 1950’s. Did you know that slavery wasn’t outlawed there until the 60’s? 100 years after America ended slavery in the bloodiest war in our history & while Martin Luther King was fighting racism, Islam was still buying & selling people in open markets.

• KenMacMillan

Qur’an 033.021
    YUSUFALI: Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah a beautiful pattern (of conduct) for any one whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the Praise of Allah.
    PICKTHAL: Verily in the messenger of Allah ye have a good example for him who looketh unto Allah and the Last Day, and remembereth Allah much.
    SHAKIR: Certainly you have in the Messenger of Allah an excellent exemplar for him who hopes in Allah and the latter day and remembers Allah much.

• KenMacMillan

Muhammad himself fought in nine engagements:
    Badr; Uhud; al-Khandaq; Qurayza; al-Mustaliq; Khaybar; the occupation; Hunayn; and al-Ta’if.

Note that only one was defensive, the rest were offensive raids & the deliberate conquering of land.

Warlord behavior like this unequivocally earns him the title “Warlord”.

Three translations that explain how Muslims are supposed to hold themselves to the standard of Muhammad…

• KenMacMillan

Bahran, a mine in the Hijaz
    Uhud
    Hamra’u’1-Asad
    Banu Nadir
    Dhatu’l-Riqa’ofNakhl
    The last battle of Badr
    Dumatu’l-Jandal
    Al-Khandaq
    Banul Qurayza
    Banu Lihyan of Hudhayl
    Dhu Qarad
    Banu’l-Mustaliq of Khuza’a
    Al-Hudaybiya (not intending to fight, the polytheists opposed his passage)
    Khaybar
    Then he went on the accomplished pilgrimage, the occupation of Mecca.
    Hunayn
    Al-Ta’if
    Tabuk

• KenMacMillan

We’re talking about a religion created by a warlord. You might as well say “the prophet Genghis Khan”.

• KenMacMillan

When speaking with people of Christianized/Western societies, Muslim activists deliberately hide a major Islamic doctrine called “al-Nasikh wal-Mansukh”(the Abrogator and the Abrogated). This simply means that in situations wherein verses contradict one another, the early verses are overridden by the latter verses. The chronological timing in which a verse was written determines its authority to establish policies within Islam. The older/peaceful verses are cancelled by the newer/violent ones.

• KenMacMillan

[The Muslim raiders] encouraged each other, and decided to kill as many as they could of them and take what they had. (Ibn Ishaq 424) This was the first deadly encounter between Meccans and Muslims, and it is of acute embarrassment to contemporary Muslim apologists, who like to say that Islam is against killing for any reason other than self-defense. This is just one of about 27 battles muhammed ordered, of those 9 he personally took part in and only 2 were defensive.

• KenMacMillan

[A Muslim raider] who had shaved his head, looked down on them [the Meccan caravan], and when they saw him they felt safe and said, “They are pilgrims, you have nothing to fear from them.” (Ibn Ishaq 423) The shaved head caused the Muslims to look like pilgrims rather than raiders, which instilled a false sense of security in the drivers. Islam was a different sort of religion than what the Meccans were used to:

• KenMacMillan

After his eviction by the Meccans, Muhammad and his Muslims found refuge many miles away in Medina where they were not being bothered by their former adversaries. Despite this, Muhammad sent his men on seven unsuccessful raids against Meccan caravans before finally finding one, whereupon they murdered the driver and plundered the contents. This particular caravan was especially vulnerable because the attack came during the holy months, when the merchants were least expecting it.

• btoklondon

If Islam was a voilent religion, why dont you just open up and look at the History of Islam, just look for your information please and then tell me that its a violent religion. Dont always believe whats on your TV channel, they are there to give u news that they want you to hear not whats real. Imagine if i come 2ur house and say Ken, sorry but the way ur living ur life is wrong, here is Islam live like this? What would u say, oh n if u say something u might be a terrorist and a voilent American

• btoklondon

… but its ok Ken, you have the right to say whatever you think its right but just a look at the state of whose people there dont they deserve to have a way of life that they want. Why do you think that there are so many eastern people working in America and Europe you think they are there because they are so fascinated by your system? NO they are there because your governments displaced their way of life, so they are on your lands to live, just to live like a human.

• KenMacMillan

I agree with Paul’s plans for foreign policy but I’m worried about the process & speed of pulling our troops home. Also, I think he’s dead wrong about islam. It’s a violent religion & if I remember correctly, the imam they’re talking about is tied to terrorist groups. The ground zero building planned for the victory mosque was struck by landing gear which broke through the roof & would’ve killed people if the stare had been open.