Ron Paul: O’Donnell Can Win – We Live In Revolutionary Times!

Ron Paul talks about the chances of Tea Party candidates, including Delaware’s Christine O’Donnell.

Date: 09/15/2010

Transcript

Anderson Cooper: What do you think of Christine O’Donnell, do you think she can win?

Ron Paul: Oh sure, I think she can win. I think she’s going to have to work very hard. She has the roughest job of all the Tea Party candidates because she’s in a more liberal state; it’s a much more difficult job than my son has in Kentucky, or Angle has in Nevada. So no, but she can win, there’s a lot of unhappiness in this country and for that reason, the numbers are just coming together. Democrats are disillusioned and are not going to show up, the Republicans are. And the Tea Party People are added on to the Republicans because a lot of them haven’t been involved before. They’re independents and it adds to it; it isn’t taking away from the Republicans, if you have a Republican base then the Tea Party People add on to it. That’s why she has a very good chance.

Anderson Cooper: So the Democrats tonight who are saying “Wow, this is great for the Democratic Party”, you think they’re measuring the drapes too early?

Ron Paul: Well, if I talk to Republicans and they sound a little too cocky, that’s what I’d tell them. Because I don’t think anybody should get… they should wait and see. They should always run — I used to run track, and I always assumed somebody was going to step on me if I didn’t keep running. So I think that’s the way it is in politics, you have to keep running and not assume you can glide to victory.

Anderson Cooper: It’s not over until it’s over. A number of Tea Party activists who I’ve talked to in the last couple of days — and before this primary — were saying “Look, even if she can’t win, it’s still important that she won and we don’t really care if she can’t win; it’s important to make a point as one to vote your principles”, do you think that’s true? Or do you think it’s more important to get a safe Republican seat in the Senate?

Ron Paul: Well, I think both are true. I mean, the fact that she won is very important — we should be glad about that — but also she should go for the winning; but I guess you’re suggesting that, “well if you knew she couldn’t win, therefore you should cop about and bend your principles.” Well, I’m not one that would endorse that very easily, because my goal in life has been to nudge people over to a more principled position, where there has to do with foreign policy or civil liberties or economic policy, so that has always been my goal. So I think winning along with those goals and those principles, of course is the ideal situation.

Anderson Cooper: Is there a room in the Republican Party today for a “Mike Castle”, who would someone call a moderate Republican or what does some in the Tea Party would say just a liberal Republican, or a Democrat who just calls himself a Republican… but I mean, is there a room for a Mike Castle in the Republican Party today?

Ron Paul: Sure. Probably it depends on the state; it’s going to be much tougher, because we live in revolutionary times. What we’re witnessing today is change coming from the grassroots. I have noticed over the many years that Presidential candidates always campaign on change and then we never get it. But real change only comes philosophically from the grassroots, when the people endorse certain views or condemn certain views. And that’s what’s happening this time — and this only happens once, maybe in two or three lifetimes, it doesn’t happen often.

Anderson Cooper: And you really believe this is a revolutionary time? That this is…

Ron Paul: Oh yeah, but it’s economic, I see everything in economic policies; and that’s what drives everybody, that makes people so angry and upset. You think if there were no economic problems that this would be going on? But this is the end of Keynesianism. Keynesianism has been with us for 70 years and its failing! And even the liberals know its failing. It’s sort of like a revolutionary end of an age with a downfall of the Soviet System. It finally just didn’t work, you didn’t have to fight there anymore. it didn’t come from the leaders, it came from the grassroots; and that’s what’s happening right now. The grassroots knows that government fails. Even today Statistics says, “Hardly anybody trusts government anymore”. And for a good reason, it doesn’t function; it doesn’t have the right system anymore.

Anderson Cooper: Those who say, “Well look, what about actually getting things done in Washington?”, I mean, that compromise is essential in politics, that no matter what, you need at some point to compromise with someone on the other side of the aisle or someone within your own party to effect change; do you think that’s true? And if so, do you think these new voices, those who have been elected by the Tea Party and their supporters, do you think they’re going to be willing to compromise on things?

Ron Paul: Well, I don’t think we have to compromise. I think you build coalitions. I work a lot with the Democrats on foreign policy and civil liberties, so I think coalitions are very good. But compromise, yes: If I want to eliminate the income tax and the other side wants to reduce it 50% — I would say, well, if it’s reduced 50% that’s not bad, that’s a good compromise. But if somebody else wants to double your taxes and somebody says “Let’s not double, let’s just increase it by 25%”; no, I don’t deal with those kind of compromises. Always compromise with people in your goals, which to me, is perfecting liberty. Increasing individual liberty and the free marketplace; when you compromise moving in that direction and working with coalitions, that’s quite a big difference. But if you work coalitions — I’ve worked with various ones like Barney Frank and Dennis Kucinich and others in trying to promote an agenda — and this is seen as compromise, it’s not exactly as compromise, but I think the people in the country see this as good; because you can work together and find out what you agree on. I think the war issue is a great issue, and the Federal Reserve has been something. I had tremendous support from Democrats, I had 320 members of Congress signed on to that bill; so that is what I think is important, but I didn’t have to compromise my principles.

Anderson Cooper: As a single member of Congress though, given the anger that is out there… I mean, obviously you have a lot of support and sort of a lot of credit among Tea Party activists, but do you think some Republican Congresspeople are concerned about being seen as too moderate, as being seen as too willing to compromise?

Ron Paul: By the Tea Party people?

Anderson Cooper: Yeah.

Ron Paul: Yeah, I think that’s it, but I just think that we’re moving in the right direction. I think the most magnificent thing is that this revolution is going on and the people have discovered it; and they’re not blaming the average citizen, they’re blaming Washington. That’s why Republicans and Democrats are losing. But the most important thing for me is having something to say or having some influence on what the message should be. Right now, the message is, “Washington has messed up; and we have to do something. They spend too much money; government is too big, we have to reduce the size and scope of government”, but then on the finer points is where the discussion is going on, and I don’t like the idea of having one kingpin, either — dictating what everybody believes in. I think it should be grassroots, and that is good. But in my modest way, what I’ll try to do is, get the Tea Party People to think about, you can’t cut back spending if you don’t think about foreign policy and bringing troops home and ending endless war. And we should, as conservatives, be concerned about civil liberties. Those are the kind of things that are very important to me; and the grassroots and the Tea Party movements are very open to that — even though I would admit, they don’t all agree with that, because a lot of other Republicans now have gotten involved and they want it to be the old Republican agenda. And the Tea Party people don’t like that and they can see through this. And one thing is, if some of these people get elected and they don’t do as is expected; if they keep going for big government and more taxes, they’re going to be held accountable this go around.

1. One of his best interviews.

2. More Angle less Rangel!!!!!!

3. enough is enough.

4. Ron Paul is a genius, like Jefferson. He also has a high voice and mumbles, like Jefferson. If only Obama's voice conveyed liberty.

5. mainstream news shows talk about presidential hopefuls and ron pauls name is not used? Ron Announce early let everyone know in a big way! Ron Paul 2012

6. PostSurgeOperative

Did the Continental Congress allow the Native Americans to elect delegates? How many black people were allowed to vote? How many women? LOL! When the electorate is limited to white Protestant male landowners, that isn't a true representative body.

Furthermore, the Boston Tea Party was an act of piracy, theft, and destruction of private property--is that a heritage worthy of being proud of?

BTW: I just heard some great news! Sen. Murchowski will run as an independent in the Alaska Senate race!

7. Ron Paul, the voice of reason against a howling mob of socialist warmongers.

8. People need to understand the media in general is propaganda, the government controls the media and what it says on every news channel (FCC), so the establishment puppets on these channels would obviously discredit any truth by calling them "delusional" unfortunately the government has extreme power in this nation, organized by the (Federal Reserve/IRS/) you will never find a politician or any one on the news media attempting to even say we should eliminate these institutions, its controlled.

9. and have alex stop apologizing to geraldo everytime one of our own takes out one of theirs.

10. The neo-cons are self-evident frauds. But let's not forget that Democrats built the original case against Iraq. Bill Clinton made regime change in Iraq official U.S. policy in 1998 by signing the Iraq Liberation Act. Obama's Secretary of State voted for the Iraq War. What more do you need to know about liberal "purity?" Bush was a fraud. Obama is a fraud. The government-media complex will never let someone like Ron Paul occupy the White House. Presidents are selected, not elected.

11. This interview everyone else is commenting on, is with Ron Paul, not Media Darlings, Billionaire Financiers, GOP pundits, PAC chairmen, or people trying to get elected to office for the first time. - Ron Paul - not Palin or David Koch or Karl Rove or Dick Army or even Rand. While you were LOLing, you failed to notice no one else is bringing these other name. The old man said the new candidates would be held to greater scrutiny - that's all that was said about others. Next tangent…

12. ron paul would be dope in the white house

13. audit the goddamn fed, reclaim the stolen money, bonuses, send secret service squads to imprison the fraudsters.. investigate congress, jail bernanke and paulson, and elect ron paul president.

first things first, audit the goddamn fed and discover the theft over the last 2 decades. then change laws or dissolve the federal reserve.

then prosecute and reclaim wealth stolen over 3 decades through fraud, insider trading, theft and other means.

14. PostSurgeOperative

"We consider this our duty -- to defend humanity against the scourge of intolerance, violence, and fanaticism." -- Ahmed Shah Massoud

Commander Massoud was Afghanistan's modern equivalent to George Washington, with a bit of Dylan and Marley thrown in, too. He was the voice and protector of the Afghan people against the oppressive policies and the violence of invading Taliban and al Queda forces--to which he never yielded.

He was a military commander, yet was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

15. I love Ron Paul but Christine O'Donnell is a terrible choice. I'm ashamed Ron Paul has sold out to the tea party and will just back any moron with a tea party affiliation.

16. ron paul is the only good politician the US has. even rand paul is a little lacking.

17. vote ron paul spread the truth RON PAUL 2012 the one and only to restore american liberty

18. the hole country would be better of without taxes. if their was no income tax employers wouldn't be afraid to hire

19. Ron Paul is my president. Here's looking to a winning 2012 run!

20. PistolPackingPatriot

I want my taxes "reduced" by 1100%. The first 100% means NO taxes. The remaining 1000% means I want TEN TIMES what the thieves have stolen from me over the decades PAID BACK TO ME. Then I get to kick them in the ass, and then hang them. Anything less will simply not be acceptable.

• Come help us take it back then Patriot, by threat and demand, from We the People:

I couldn't agree more and here is the means to it.