Ron Paul: O’Donnell Can Win – We Live In Revolutionary Times!

Ron Paul talks about the chances of Tea Party candidates, including Delaware’s Christine O’Donnell.

Date: 09/15/2010

Transcript

Anderson Cooper: What do you think of Christine O’Donnell, do you think she can win?

Ron Paul: Oh sure, I think she can win. I think she’s going to have to work very hard. She has the roughest job of all the Tea Party candidates because she’s in a more liberal state; it’s a much more difficult job than my son has in Kentucky, or Angle has in Nevada. So no, but she can win, there’s a lot of unhappiness in this country and for that reason, the numbers are just coming together. Democrats are disillusioned and are not going to show up, the Republicans are. And the Tea Party People are added on to the Republicans because a lot of them haven’t been involved before. They’re independents and it adds to it; it isn’t taking away from the Republicans, if you have a Republican base then the Tea Party People add on to it. That’s why she has a very good chance.

Anderson Cooper: So the Democrats tonight who are saying “Wow, this is great for the Democratic Party”, you think they’re measuring the drapes too early?

Ron Paul: Well, if I talk to Republicans and they sound a little too cocky, that’s what I’d tell them. Because I don’t think anybody should get… they should wait and see. They should always run — I used to run track, and I always assumed somebody was going to step on me if I didn’t keep running. So I think that’s the way it is in politics, you have to keep running and not assume you can glide to victory.

Anderson Cooper: It’s not over until it’s over. A number of Tea Party activists who I’ve talked to in the last couple of days — and before this primary — were saying “Look, even if she can’t win, it’s still important that she won and we don’t really care if she can’t win; it’s important to make a point as one to vote your principles”, do you think that’s true? Or do you think it’s more important to get a safe Republican seat in the Senate?

Ron Paul: Well, I think both are true. I mean, the fact that she won is very important — we should be glad about that — but also she should go for the winning; but I guess you’re suggesting that, “well if you knew she couldn’t win, therefore you should cop about and bend your principles.” Well, I’m not one that would endorse that very easily, because my goal in life has been to nudge people over to a more principled position, where there has to do with foreign policy or civil liberties or economic policy, so that has always been my goal. So I think winning along with those goals and those principles, of course is the ideal situation.

Anderson Cooper: Is there a room in the Republican Party today for a “Mike Castle”, who would someone call a moderate Republican or what does some in the Tea Party would say just a liberal Republican, or a Democrat who just calls himself a Republican… but I mean, is there a room for a Mike Castle in the Republican Party today?

Ron Paul: Sure. Probably it depends on the state; it’s going to be much tougher, because we live in revolutionary times. What we’re witnessing today is change coming from the grassroots. I have noticed over the many years that Presidential candidates always campaign on change and then we never get it. But real change only comes philosophically from the grassroots, when the people endorse certain views or condemn certain views. And that’s what’s happening this time — and this only happens once, maybe in two or three lifetimes, it doesn’t happen often.

Anderson Cooper: And you really believe this is a revolutionary time? That this is…

Ron Paul: Oh yeah, but it’s economic, I see everything in economic policies; and that’s what drives everybody, that makes people so angry and upset. You think if there were no economic problems that this would be going on? But this is the end of Keynesianism. Keynesianism has been with us for 70 years and its failing! And even the liberals know its failing. It’s sort of like a revolutionary end of an age with a downfall of the Soviet System. It finally just didn’t work, you didn’t have to fight there anymore. it didn’t come from the leaders, it came from the grassroots; and that’s what’s happening right now. The grassroots knows that government fails. Even today Statistics says, “Hardly anybody trusts government anymore”. And for a good reason, it doesn’t function; it doesn’t have the right system anymore.

Anderson Cooper: Those who say, “Well look, what about actually getting things done in Washington?”, I mean, that compromise is essential in politics, that no matter what, you need at some point to compromise with someone on the other side of the aisle or someone within your own party to effect change; do you think that’s true? And if so, do you think these new voices, those who have been elected by the Tea Party and their supporters, do you think they’re going to be willing to compromise on things?

Ron Paul: Well, I don’t think we have to compromise. I think you build coalitions. I work a lot with the Democrats on foreign policy and civil liberties, so I think coalitions are very good. But compromise, yes: If I want to eliminate the income tax and the other side wants to reduce it 50% — I would say, well, if it’s reduced 50% that’s not bad, that’s a good compromise. But if somebody else wants to double your taxes and somebody says “Let’s not double, let’s just increase it by 25%”; no, I don’t deal with those kind of compromises. Always compromise with people in your goals, which to me, is perfecting liberty. Increasing individual liberty and the free marketplace; when you compromise moving in that direction and working with coalitions, that’s quite a big difference. But if you work coalitions — I’ve worked with various ones like Barney Frank and Dennis Kucinich and others in trying to promote an agenda — and this is seen as compromise, it’s not exactly as compromise, but I think the people in the country see this as good; because you can work together and find out what you agree on. I think the war issue is a great issue, and the Federal Reserve has been something. I had tremendous support from Democrats, I had 320 members of Congress signed on to that bill; so that is what I think is important, but I didn’t have to compromise my principles.

Anderson Cooper: As a single member of Congress though, given the anger that is out there… I mean, obviously you have a lot of support and sort of a lot of credit among Tea Party activists, but do you think some Republican Congresspeople are concerned about being seen as too moderate, as being seen as too willing to compromise?

Ron Paul: By the Tea Party people?

Anderson Cooper: Yeah.

Ron Paul: Yeah, I think that’s it, but I just think that we’re moving in the right direction. I think the most magnificent thing is that this revolution is going on and the people have discovered it; and they’re not blaming the average citizen, they’re blaming Washington. That’s why Republicans and Democrats are losing. But the most important thing for me is having something to say or having some influence on what the message should be. Right now, the message is, “Washington has messed up; and we have to do something. They spend too much money; government is too big, we have to reduce the size and scope of government”, but then on the finer points is where the discussion is going on, and I don’t like the idea of having one kingpin, either — dictating what everybody believes in. I think it should be grassroots, and that is good. But in my modest way, what I’ll try to do is, get the Tea Party People to think about, you can’t cut back spending if you don’t think about foreign policy and bringing troops home and ending endless war. And we should, as conservatives, be concerned about civil liberties. Those are the kind of things that are very important to me; and the grassroots and the Tea Party movements are very open to that — even though I would admit, they don’t all agree with that, because a lot of other Republicans now have gotten involved and they want it to be the old Republican agenda. And the Tea Party people don’t like that and they can see through this. And one thing is, if some of these people get elected and they don’t do as is expected; if they keep going for big government and more taxes, they’re going to be held accountable this go around.

1. The rich may account for 35% of all tax revenue but they have 99% of all the wealth. Therefore the rich aren't paying their fair share.

2. I enjoy the lasst quote the best and the Neo-Cons trying to infiltrate this Enlightenment Revolution better listen up: If we the people send u the representative or senator to Congress and u don't vote as we elected u to vote u WILL BE VOTED OUT!!!! The American People are tired of being misrepresented by BOTH parties!!! The Time Is Now For Us To Stand United For REAL Change!

3. By far the most honest, presidential political character I have laid eyes on since I first started paying attention to politics 20 years ago.

And it's nice to see reporters taking him deadly serious.

THE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN!!!!

4. there is no money. See HJR 192.
    Since there is no money there can be no debt!

5. If she stands for smaller government that is almost all that matters. She is better than the others.

6. what I don't like about the Tea Party are the hijackers from the GOP that want to align it with neo-con philosophy. There's a BIG difference between someone like Ron Paul and a moron like Sarah Palin.

7. These observations about the Tea Party do not represent support or endorsement, they are just that-- observations. And, he is dead on the money as usual. Truth is never welcome in Washington, so keep on telling it Dr. Paul, because in the end my eternal optimism says that truth will win, and the liars and thieves will be sent packing. Right now, Homer Simpson could win if he ran against an incumbent, so its not surprising to me that Ms. O'Donnell could win as well.

8. if Ron Paul had brown hair, wouldn't he look like that dictator leader from V for Vendetta?

9. Yes, Ron does look pretty good, doesn't he? I really hope he is preparing for the run.

I think this interview was done before Maher videos of O'Donnell's witchcraft/Satanic alter stuff was outted. Maybe once Ron gets wind of this, he'll distance himself. I hope so.

10. BTW: WRong Paul isn't running for President either! Sure, he'll run for the RepubliCon NOMINATION, and Paulbots across America will organize a money bomb, and he'll spend the money on advertising on 'alternative' websites, but WRong Paul will NEVER be the RepubliCons' nominee, and he'll NEVER be President.

Why? For 1 thing, WRong Paul is older than John McCain! For another, his main issues are not mainstream RepubliCon issues; for example, his position on Israel AUTOMATICALLY disqualifies him.

• @postsurgeoperative (ya right). For all the people that love to create their own acronyms and labels, this is a prime example of the worthless drivel that abounds on the internet. Sir, you should stick to the NFL sites, where cheerleading is the most complicated matter undertaken. You will understand the issues there.

11. wow, this is the first time I've been genuinely disappointed in Congressman Paul

Christine O'Donnell is a shame on the conservative cause and on Republicans everywhere. She will make the GOP into a laughing stock, plus she appears to be a fundamentalist, always a dangerous combination with politics.

12. I don't understand why Paul is backing this women aside from the fact that she's not mainstream there's not much to gain from her, she's ridiculous on so many levels.

13. you all believe any of this matters? There is good traits in both parties and being extreme in their views and extreme in opposing the other, as in "they do that so we don't", you just destroy the movement of both parties. Politicians profitize on your votes either way, and climbs the staircase all the way up to "The Eye". But you will never believe this even though you are a "strawman" a corperation yourself in debt. Untill the day of martial law. My comment was boring and wierd.

14. Ron Paul 2012!

15. Ron Paul shouldn't associate himself with the tea-baggers.

16. WOW! someone actually lets Ron Paul talk without being interrupted i am truly amazed holy shit! cudos to Anderson Cooper

17. I have a man-crush on Ron Paul

18. ron paul 2012

19. The rich have never suffered in any economy, even during the Roosevelt times of 94% income taxation.
    Most people don't realize the ultra-wealthy don't have income, they have capital gains, which is why they focused to hard on reducing capital gains taxation. That's why they pay a much smaller percentage of their income than say a police officer or fireman that makes $50,000 a year.

• Capital Gains is a terrible idea. Why? Because people like me who invest, who are not rich, are taxed on our investments. Why should we be taxed on our investments when the principle we invensted in the first place was taxed via the income tax? Kinda makes it hard for the average joe to get ahead. And rich people pay way more than their fair share. They pay more in one year or two years of taxation than most of us will in a lifetime.

I believe we should abolish the income tax and the FICA. Just get rid of them. Go to a system that taxes consumption. The money will be distributed a lot more efficienctly and spread more generously by the invidual than by the government.

20. The country was not lost in 1913, but in 1965 with the 1965 Immigration Act. It was a disgusting anti-white bill with limited European immigration and opened the floodgates for immigration from the Turd World.

In 30-40 years, freedom will end even if Ron Paul and the Tea Party is sucessful. When you have Mexicans in the majority in the US, we will be more Mexican, in every sense of the word. They are essentially Marxists who don't value the Constitution,Bill of Rights, and Magna Carta.