289 responses to “Ron Paul: Why the Government Lies About Social Security”

1. bizwags

Today I can file for Social Security. Should I do it? Or should I keep on working? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

1. Tom Beebe

I applied for SS at the age that provided full benefits, AND kept working (or intend to) as long as I can. When one is no longer able to contribute, the “market” will let him/her know. Beats sitting around.

2. luckycharmz336

Do we really no longer have common sense in America. We all want freebies and are not willing to sacrifice things knowing they will ruin our country.

1. Dry Creek

Exactly!

2. Tom Beebe

Thie ex-GOP Libertarian remembers the comment of a Democrat president: “ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.” How many of our elected today asks the righe question?

3. achiapet44

info wars .com and ron paul

4. tonebari

the right hand of government takes what the left hand says…
    hisholychurch DAHT org FORWARD SLASH sermon FORWARD SLASH ucc DAHT php
    If you (and I) had paid attention: it was all there 2000 years ago.
    NO KING BUT JESUS!

5. DeleteMeOnline

The indulgent hard-line extremist’s “Right Turn” of relationships which will permit us to maintain this “Roll Back”position of human disparity in a Historical Perspective! Less we are hampered by idealistic Corporate Political campaign slogans and false prommisses.A system of state and private power that are idealistic will be the fall of what’s left of our consitutional rights.

6. DeleteMeOnline

In this situation, we cannot fail to be the object of envy and resentment. Our real task in the coming period is to devise a pattern of relationships which will permit us to maintain this position of constituionality.To do so, we will have to dispense with all sentimentality and day-dreaming; and our attention will have to beconcentrated everywhere on our governments Neoliberal national objectives.

7. DeleteMeOnline

The day is not far off when we are going to have to deal in straight power concepts.The DoD/HMS/TSA/LE is now the parental control of the coercive institutions of ordinary life,our subordination to higher-ups
    and blind loyality to hierarchic institutions is proof of a liberty robbing neoliberalistic government.

8. LoveHolsters

Look pal – I have no problem knowing I help out the elderly with the money I have put into it and the deal is the promise continue to my generation as well. I don’t give a rats ass about ignorant view’s poverty is all about hand outs w/ unemployment at 19% percent. Also tired of hearing republican drones talk about being poor is all about lazy people – class warfare is real. .
    Not going to accept a bankrupt social security system as long as they continue to fund bigger government on our backs.

9. LoveHolsters

Yea sure you can rob me of decades of pouring money into Social Security because we have a new meaning for SS in America and it needs funding.
    It’s not a whole lot but my latest record shows I have paid about $30,000.00 in that one tax already and have a long way to go. For suit’s to sit there and tell me by the time i finish paying out there wont be anything left. Like hell – if I make it that long-your not telling me that I am not getting anything back. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

10. Doug

No, it’s Democratic Party, not “Democrat Party” because a noun cannot modify another noun. You have to use an adjective to modify a noun.

There IS a trust fund– its in the same form as the military pension trust –US Treasury securities, the most secure investment there is.

Its worked very good for 75 years and beats the hell out of the system we had before the SSA — the county poorhouse.

1. bizwags

Your wrong answer/response is exactly my point. Think about the other parties for instance: Tea, Communist, Birthday, etc. Aren’t those nouns?

2. bizwags

Oh, by the way, there is no “trust fund” and SSA is the “county poorhouse”.

3. bizwags

Oh, I get it; an adjective. OK, “THE” Democrat Party. Come on, raise your standards and be particular. Don’t settle.

4. tj

Doug…with all due respect, US Treasuries are no longer the safe investment they once were…the Chinese are now beginning to invest in gold rather than US treasuries…the Fed has just monetized some of this safe debt.and soon the US will default on many of these Treasuries….this wonderful program SS you like so much is virtually bankrupt…and will only get worst as revenues are falling short of payouts…and in 2011 more people will file first time ss claims than ever before at a time when more people are unemployed…social security will end and there is nothing you can do about that…
      also, since you are the one giving grammar lessons….your statement about ss is incorrect…you used the word “Its” when “It has” or “It’s” should have been used. Also, the adverb “well” should be used instead of the adjective “great”.
      Let freedom (which means small government) be with you…tj

1. bizwags

tj

You are correct. Very well stated. Thank you.

11. permisiontospeak

The government lies about Social Security b/c the people CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

12. rjbrb

All the talk won’t fix anything until everyone joins together. I offer the truth (FREE) about the existing laws that can fix this problem, laws the IRS, DOJ & congress disobey because everyone DOSEN”T KNOW about them. They abuse one person who tries to do the right thing, BUT a group of citizens(VOTERS) can force the change,& can offer protection in a group settings.( Town Hall) Why is it know one wants a 35% raise? My guess is lazyness, & being afraid. E-mail me for info, and watch them run!

1. bizwags

Let’s see what you have to offer…

13. lovedalord88

A man who wants to end social security, the WAR ON DRUGS, Corporate Welfare as well as a slim trim of poor people welfare?!

SIGN ME UP! RUN FOR PRESIENT RON!!

14. Escapification

seriously americans, why the hell havn’t we elected this guy as president already.

15. diah4

I will never put my money in the hands of the govt. They have no choice but to take it from me, b/c they are not trustworthy. These are suppose to be bright people, but they are the most irresponsible people I have ever seen. Ron Paul for president 2012. Please run Ron. Your are the only one speaking with any sense. All I ask is once we put you there, do not fold under the pressure of the status quo and the goons in house/congress. They love the status quo despite the fact it’s no good for us.

16. tubester4567

Ron says you cant trust the government with money…….a couple of years after every private bank, insurance company, and wall street went completely broke. Millions lost their private investments and retirement funds that the right wing says we need to do. Great advice conservatives thanks. Oh and who got the system back on track? , the government. Ron Paul doesnt care about people, just his big corporate mates.

17. rk92559

Like Ron..but he is dead wrong. Everyone thinks they are Warren Buffet and can make a killing with their money. People have pros invest their retirement and still lose it all. What you will end up with, is a bunch of these young investment wizards going broke, and when they are old they will have nothing. So we will end up putting them on Medicaid and welfare. So in the end we will have to pay for their dumbasses without them contributing anything.

18. Citizen

SADLY…
    This Pyramid Ponzi Scheme has been going on far too long to now have any reasonable remedy.

Social Security is our biggest Unfunded Mandate Liability and the money simply is not there.

There are only two solutions.
    1. Government continues to monetize the payments by printing un-backed currency and diluting the money stock, which has been our Government’s choice for the past 6 decades. Eventually the ponzi-scam will collapse, maybe sooner 3-5 years rather than later 10 or more years
    2. Admit the Error and phase out the program all together. Only cover 50 years and older recipients and require PRIVATE retirement savings accounts for everyone under 50 years. Putting 15% per year of your income from age 50 on would result in a very healthy private savings retirement account.

BUT… Our GOVERNMENT has been spending the Social Security tax receipts FASTER then they are collected. Its not likely that our Political Elite will “GIVE-UP” those fat tax revenues and tighten the fiscal belts.

Bottom Line… Collapse IS Inevitable

19. edmondov

the problem with privatizing social security is not every one will save and they will end up being old bums in the streets. and please don’t give me that charity nonsense.

20. LoveHolsters

Secrets can also become a cover story for reality of some things maybe we should be aware of and evaluate which I believe is a god given function of our brain for survival. This human evaluation process tells me secret atmospheric projects are out of control now they want to talk about “we all have to pay the price” no kidding. Look what were paying for in chem-trail planes alone. We are not your scientific slaves and there is only so much we will stand for –
    Stop BS’ing on UFOs were not stupid

21. LoveHolsters

Thanks Ron Paul – Twice they raised age of retirement on the stance work till you drop in America ever since 1776 became 1996. Now they say SS is insolvent and we must all pay the price. Meaning all of us while the fat bastard continues to grow bigger and bigger until it pops pork fat everywhere. Ron Paul the American people may be resilient and show great restraint and for that we should be proud but enough is enough. They are trying to turn the country into some kind of Secret Police State.

22. elmuraddi

It is shame (unfortunate) that I’m not a USA voter. (Peter Spiriev from Hungary,Budapest) I should have helped this man Ron Paul to White House. Very Clever Man! Also very clever wiews at “foreign politics”. Hope he can make it!

23. HeadoftheHydra

I would use my SSI money to buy silver if I could opt-out.. At current prices, 2 weeks pay could get me 2 oz. or so.

Yes, I’m not a very highly paid worker. College student ftl. :D

24. friedlogic

you have my vote. (sic)

25. earlej7456

Dr. Paul, your political comments remind me so very much of my dad’s beliefs…at first, I thought you were way off base, because I hadn’t heard anyone speak like you in so many years…but, given some thought, you are absolutely right in so many ways. Thank you for your insight. Without you opening new minds to old ideas, we might never have a chance to rediscover these truths!

26. TJ

Politically, social security cannot be dealt with by using traditional schemes…raising the age, lowering benefits, or raising taxes. Politicians from any party should not have to sacrifice their career to do the right thing.

Therefore, this debt must be shared by all. And, the way to do this is to MONETIZE this debt…and only this debt. Current recipients get benefits plus COLA, those retiring within 10 years get full benefits minus COLA, and those retiring after this get a sliding scale percent less until it is entirely phased out for current workers. Those entering the workforce after this get nothing. Corporations can still be taxed for 30 years on all employees—including those entering workforce afterwards. Taxes on individuals would immediately cease. They can spend it or save it…I DONT CARE!

The other debt should not be monetized EVER. It should be paid down by selling assets (land, buildings, vehicles, paper clips). If this is not enough and if taxation does not pay off the debt, bankruptcy and defaulting on the rest of the debt is a viable option. This will ruin the credit of the USA and make it difficult to borrow again. This is a good thing….

27. bizwags

The government taxes me on my wages, then it taxes me on the interest of my savings, then it taxes me again when I die (by taxing what little I’ll be leaving my family). Now I also get taxed on everything I buy or have bought (property tax).

To make things even worse, the con-gress keeps giving themselves wage increases and when they leave office they still get paid. Health coverage is still in effect too.

It appears that the majority have not been paying attention to what is actually happening. We are not stupid – just ignorant. In denial would explain the current mind set. Gees, wake up!

Look at the facts; a Democrat even told us that “just because it’s said doesn’t make it true”. There it is -RIGHT IN YOUR FACE! Imagine that. (Oh yeah, it’s the Democrat Party, not the Democratic Party. Democratic is a process.)

Where is the answer? Your cute comments? Come on, come up with a plan – not a complaint or “clever” word play. Figure out how to fix it – get some backbone.

28. ImpudentInfidel

Why don’t you just flat out call it what it is: a classic pyramid scam. This was a naked attempt to bribe older voters during the baby boom that got out of hand over time.

29. legalizeliberty

Ron Paul hope you become president!
    please learn more about Ron Paul
    Liberty Poet
    website

30. Sam

SS started around the time I was born. Older people like myself factored in SS as part of our retirement plans. To unilaterally revoke the agreement the USA had with me and others of our age would destroy the credibility of this country forever. The solution? (1) Immediately increase retirement to some age, (72?) to buy time. (2) Phase out SS on a sound actuarial basis. If we are to lead by example, and teach our citizens to honor their debts, then the USA must honor the retirement obligation it promised its citizens.

31. madhatter0110

As much as I disagree with SS, it used to be a way for those who are not investment savvy to have some income when they get older. However, during LBJ’s presidency the SS fund was put into the general fund and ever since Congress has put their bloody and oily hands all over the SS money. Now it’s a Ponzi scheme given the younger generation paying into it is being used to pay the older. We the people need to be given the opportunity to opt out of SS if we want.

32. sacredappleseed

I love Ron Paul !!!

33. hyylo

in the UK we have social security. the government wants to increase the retirement age to 65 then 70.

most people will die before this age.

we have become slaves to the evil government.

34. PatricksTime

things have changed in just the last 3 years drastically…I can’t imagine 20 years from now!!!

35. allkneese

Ok Ron, since you are so socially and libertarian conscious, guess you won’t mind that us that have been paying your social security all these years, get a tax credit against our income taxes going forward. That should just about drain the country of money to spend on war, See who pays for your wars then. I suggest we tax the industry that drained social security, the military industry, for the cost of those on social security the next twenty years. Problem solved in true libertarian style.