Ron Paul for U.S. Senate?

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) announced Thursday that she would retire from the U.S. Senate in 2012 at the end of her current term. One of the candidates that might replace her is Ron Paul. Should Ron Paul run for U.S. Senate in 2012?

What should Ron Paul do in 2012?

• Ron Paul should run for President (84%, 5,979 Votes)
  • Ron Paul should run for U.S. Senate (13%, 966 Votes)
  • Ron Paul should do something else (please post a comment to elaborate) (2%, 109 Votes)
  • Ron Paul should only run for reelection to the House (1%, 103 Votes)

Total Voters: 7,158

This poll is now closed. It was open from January 14 until February 10, 2011.

1. I think that Dr. Paul should once again run for president and re-election for the House in 2012 as he did in 2008. I hope that he takes the White House in 2012. However, even if he has little chance to be elected in 2012, it is important that he is present at the presidential debates so that the candidates are made to confront certain important truths that only Dr. Paul is willing to profess.
    It seems to me that Dr. Paul's election to the Senate is not as much as a sure thing as is his re-election to the House. If he were not to win any elective office in the 2012 election, then his important voice to the liberty movement would be necessarily weakened. The electorate is less apt to give credence to a person who is unemployed as compared to a congressman.

2. The only chance Ron Paul has is if he gets heavily involved with US foreign oil dependency. At His level of understanding Ron Paul could do some serious good work in that field. NSA, CIA, FBI should concur. However, I know they are worried about the stability of monetary policy and Ron Paul’s resolutions.

Define the power of the Commander and Chief as a power that can be courageously executed or subordinately subdued.

Amended powers and shift them to the more independent needs of the expanding US population. Let the People Lead Themselves. CFR is a fraternity of arrogant fascist who have only created a civilization of ludicrous self-destructing chaos.

The false NWO will fail and fall into destruction within the Final Battle of Armageddon!

Ah Yes, the Meek shall inherit the Earth. God’s plan is so bitter sweet.

3. The only chance Ron Paul has is if he gets heavily involved with US foreign oil dependency. At His level of understanding Ron Paul could do some serious good work in that field. NSA, CIA, FBI should concur. However, I know they are worried about the stability of monetary policy and Ron Paul’s resolutions.

Someone define the power of the Commander and Chief; a power that can be courageously executed or subordinately subdued.

Amended powers and shift them to more independent needs of the expanding US population. Let the People Lead Themselves. CFR is a fraternity of arrogant fascist who have only created a civilization of ludicrous self-destructing chaos.

The NWO will fail and fall into destruction within the Final Battle of Armageddon!

Ah Yes, the Meek shall inherit the Earth. God's plan is so bitter sweet.

4. I recently began learning about Dr. Paul's message, and I am most impressed! For the first time in my life, I am willing to contribute money to a presidential campaign, and I will vote for Dr. Paul (or his son) should his name appear on any ballot. Sadly, I live in Southern California, and I do not see reason in most citizens here.

If the current system is not working, time for a change. I do not know if Dr. Paul's ideas (should they be implemented) will improve the situation, but what's blindingly obvious, is that the current government philosophy is not, and has become quite tyrannical. I would fully support a flat consumption tax in lieu of the incomprehensible IRS (and CA State) income tax laws, and welcome linking currency to metals.

5. As said before me, it would be very silly to give up his chair on the committee in the House just to try for a Senate seat. He will make a much greater impact and spread the message of liberty better if he announces his bid for the Presidency and continually speaks at college campuses and town halls all around the nation. I would love for Dr. Ron Paul to come speak at my university, and he would pack the place. He would pack an auditorium at ANY university. For those of you that think he cannot win...you have no idea what a recent former run, massive television exposure (which he has had in the past half year), and a few good polls can do for a candidate. The message of liberty is getting out there, and because his son is in the Senate...that is going to give him even more attention, and people are going to wonder what Rand's (if he supposedly won on his father's name) dad is all about. This is the year for a Ron Paul presidency. All we can hope is that they stop pushing Moron Palin to the front of the pack with their media darling coverage.

6. Definitely run for president Dr. Paul. You know your country really needs you right now and your the only politician I actually believe. There is a huge amount of awareness out there now and people believe in your message. Just watch... the people who don't know your name now will be chanting it in the streets once you are able to debate Barack Obama. I say this because I voted for Obama and then I heard about you. Since then I've regretted voting for him and I've been an avid Ron Paul supporter. I'm also 21 and a full time college student, so if you were wondering if the youth of the nation is behind you, then there is your answer. All of my friends love you as well.

Please... I want a future.

7. Ron Paul should do something else. I think a national town hall tour would be great. Education has been the most productive way of spreading the message. I think we should think in the long term. Maybe campaign as a write in candidate.

8. I have been advocating for Ron Paul to run for senate for a while now, He will not win the presidency we all know that but he almost could have the senate seat at will at this point of his career. Texas loves Dr. Paul and his voice would be heard by a wider audience in the senate than in the house. This is battle is a marathon not a sprint and we should fight it at accordingly, Dr. Paul got this far with a consistent voice, idea, ambition, honesty.

9. Dr. Robert Paul, son of Ron Paul, needs to run for U.S. Senate in Texas in 2012, not Ron Paul.

Let the drafting of Dr. Robert Paul for Senate begin!

10. Ron Paul should do whatever he thinks is best. In the long run, even if he cannot win the Presidency, it could make it possible for Rand to eventually win.

11. Please, for all of you who support Ron Paul, yet believe he cannot win, you are very mistaken. In an April 2010 Rasmussen Poll, Ron Paul trailed Obama 43 to 42. Since then, his recognition and popularity has gone up, while Obama continues to tumble, bumble, and stumble through his ONLY term as PResident. Ron Paul wins or is near the top in all of the straw votes at Conservative, Republican groups. And, his popularity and exposure will only grow as he takes on the enemy of the people...BEn BErnanke...often enough on TV...
    So, let's shoot for the stars and let freedom reign...

12. I agree that the Republicans Party would like someone else- someone who likes to talk about fiscal responsibility and then spend, spend, spend. I think Dr Paul would be in a better position to win a seat in the Senate and raise awareness. Most Americans, if the knew about Dr Paul, would agree.

Even liberals like to pay their debt down.

13. Definitely run for Senate; having Rand and Ron as Senators could create a strong body of influence. Plus, at this time, we are in much more need of conservative influence in the Senate than the House.

Do not run for President; The RNC has different ideas for the 2012 nomination, and Ron does not fit. The trend of the populous for the past 20 years has been voting for candidates who are younger, with a physical appeal; the most ideal candidates have been overlooked due to their appearence. If Ron was to run, it would most likely have to be on a 3rd party ticket, which would split the conservative vote putting Obama right back into the White House.

Nothing would be lost if Ron was to remain as a US Representative.

14. Ron Paul cannot run the risk of a Senate run. He is now the chair of an important House Committee, and a presidential primary run is far more important than picking up a Senate seat. He has reached the pinnacle of his potential impact, and what he needs is more exposure to make his ideals known, not to grab at a different seat in Washington.

15. Not sure if America is ready for Ron Paul as president yet, unless the economy totally tanks. I think he'd do a world of good in the Senate. I also think he's got a better shot getting a Senate seat, and raising his profile. Most people I know don't know a damned thing about him other than what they see in the media- which marginalizes anyone who isn't part of the beltway cocktail circuit.

I'd rather he be President- but I'll take what I can get.

16. Ron Paul should go where he can have the greatest affect for the revolutionary change we all want for America! I support you Dr. Paul!

17. Yes, the Senate has less members, but he'd be trading seniority in the House for being a junior member of the Senate. It's not worth it at this stage of his political career. Rather see him take one more shot at running for President, especially with the sad Republican field shaping up for 2012.

18. Ron Paul and Jesse Ventura 2012 I will vote for the first time if that happens.

19. I think he has a much better chance at becoming a Senator. But of course we all want him to be the President.

20. I think Ron Paul should be president, but he should do whatever he wants :-).

Also he expressed in the past that he likes the dynamic of the House, not the Senate... Nonetheless it'd be really cool to see Ron and Rand in the Senate.