Ron Paul: Abolish FEMA! Why Should Someone Else Rebuild My House?

Date: 05/13/2011

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: endfema). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

Wolf Blitzer: On the whole issue of FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, do you want to see that agency ended?

Ron Paul: Well, if you want to live in a free society, if you want to pay attention to the constitution, why not? I think it’s bad economics, I think it’s bad morality, and it’s bad constitutional law. Why should people like myself, who had until too long ago a house on the Gulf Coast – and it’s expensive there and it’s risky and it’s dangerous. Why should somebody from the central part of the United States rebuild my house? Why shouldn’t I have to buy my own insurance and protect from the potential danger? Well, the reason we don’t have market insurance is because it’s too expensive. Well, why is it expensive? Because it’s dangerous. So why should we take money from somebody else who doesn’t get the chance to live on the Gulf and make them pay to rebuild my house? I mean, it’s a moral hazard to say the government’s always going to take care of us when we do dumb things. I’m trying to get people to not do dumb things. Besides it’s not authorized in the constitution.

Wolf Blitzer: But if there’s a disaster like flooding or an earthquake or Hurricane Katrina, what’s wrong with asking fellow Americans to help their fellow citizens?

Ron Paul: Nothing, and I think Americans are very, very generous and they have been traditionally. The big problem is, Americans are getting poorer and they’re not able to voluntarily come to the rescue. But to coerce people to ask them to help, that is fine and dandy. But when you bankrupt our country and nobody has a job and then they say, “Well, FEMA needs to bail out everybody”, then all we do is compound our problems. And believe me, I’ve been very much involved in the hurricanes that have come into my district, and most of the people in my district do not like FEMA. They want to try to get their money out, but FEMA comes in and takes over, they take over their property rights, they dictate, they prevent some of the volunteers from going in. So there’s a strong resentment towards the way FEMA operates because there are bureaucrats who don’t understand the rule of law, nor do they understand local control and property rights. So there’s a very strong argument that this whole program that governments, through coercion and taxation, can bail out everybody when we’re flat broke, then they have to print the money. And now we’re going in to inflationary problems, which are very severe. That’s our big issue right now.

1. We need this man as our president!!! I never pray because I don’t feel that I have enough respect and I would never pray to ask for something for myself. But dear GOD, right now I pray, not to ask for something for myself, but to ask for something the whole world: PLEASE let this man be the president of the United States of America.

2. You’re not asking for help, you’re forcing everyone to help. Ron Paul has some very true points in this video. Why should I subsidize you to live on the edge of a cliff if my house is as stable as a rock?

3. So you don’t know the difference between corporatism and capitalism, yet you post on here with the pretense you are knowledgeable enough to form any kind of sound, sane argument? Nice one, douche.

4. Yes, you’ve said that point already, and I’ve already pointed out your argument relies on fallacies. Are you unable to defend your points without using logical fallacies? It seems so. This is typical of big government advocates and liberals.

5. TrippingTheTube

Ron Paul’s and libertarian ideas are not simply “just ideas”. They are actually practical solutions. It takes a revolution of the minds to return to common sense.

They are like Tom Woods said of the health care system “not an ideological statement but a practical one to conclude the only way to fix the system is to return to individuals, families, doctors, communities full control over decisions pertaining to their health and well being.”

6. Your right to get rich doesn’t trump my right to see a doctor.

7. You can argue whether capitalism devolves in corporatism. That’s fine. But it is dishonest to say that there is no difference at all than capitalism. Corporatism has always been defined as corporate welfare, and welfare derives from the state. The very fact that the state favors some firms to others is what separates corporatism from capitalism. The moment the state interferes with or ignores private ownership, its proper assignment, and the rights associated with it, it becomes corporatism

8. TrippingTheTube

Capitalism does not have the force of the government to maintain it’s power. It only has the market place.

9. TrippingTheTube

We have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. Except for the particular enterprises that are allowed all the loop holes. We pay more to the government and get nothing in return for it. That’s because by the L & R tug of war and the politicians all too eager to cash in on it and create a further mess by pretending to play both sides. We have way too many people for a centralized government and socialized medicine would be the nail in the coffin for this country.

10. I disagree. That is precisely the reason why FEMA camps are formed and we had tanks and men with assault rifles roaming the street. A militia should act against enemies to the constitution or those who have committed an act of war, not as a police force. When the military gets involved in policing action, that’s when tyranny begins.

If FEMA were an effective organization, it could do it without guns. Unfortunately it can’t since government can’t do anything without aiming a gun at people

11. TrippingTheTube

The reason health benefits and health care costs are so high are because of the 3rd party payer, such as employment. That and the governments regulations and control. To expect that an employer should have to pay for health insurance is not going to solve the problem. Neither is socialized medicine. It’s just going to make it worse.

12. Yes, and even then I wonder how efficient they are with construction and maintenance, ’cause locally it seems every time they work on a major road it takes forever, and in some cases the design is so fucking stupid it makes me scratch my head.

13. RON PAUL, the doctor with the Right Medicine for Restoring AMERICA.

14. Nobody else has done a 50 year long, variable-controled social experiment on Libertarianism either.

15. And btw, power elite does in fact sound like your bible judging from the number of times you have suggested it. “True Believer” indeed

16. For the love of God, read Power Elite. At least look at the wikipedia page about it.

17. TrippingTheTube

I guess I don’t subscribe to that point of view that some people have where everyone is supposed to be some kind of cloned worker bee with the same education and priorities. I believe people seek out knowledge on there own where it suits them, want knowledge and nobody wants to be stupid.

18. Only those who live by reason can be called free. The press has always been the publics reasoning faculty, and at present it consists of nothing but corporate propaganda. This is how capitalism enslaves. Read Manufacturing Consent for more info on the corporate propaganda model.

19. What are you referring to?