Ron Paul: Abolish FEMA! Why Should Someone Else Rebuild My House?

Date: 05/13/2011

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: endfema). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

Wolf Blitzer: On the whole issue of FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, do you want to see that agency ended?

Ron Paul: Well, if you want to live in a free society, if you want to pay attention to the constitution, why not? I think it’s bad economics, I think it’s bad morality, and it’s bad constitutional law. Why should people like myself, who had until too long ago a house on the Gulf Coast – and it’s expensive there and it’s risky and it’s dangerous. Why should somebody from the central part of the United States rebuild my house? Why shouldn’t I have to buy my own insurance and protect from the potential danger? Well, the reason we don’t have market insurance is because it’s too expensive. Well, why is it expensive? Because it’s dangerous. So why should we take money from somebody else who doesn’t get the chance to live on the Gulf and make them pay to rebuild my house? I mean, it’s a moral hazard to say the government’s always going to take care of us when we do dumb things. I’m trying to get people to not do dumb things. Besides it’s not authorized in the constitution.

Wolf Blitzer: But if there’s a disaster like flooding or an earthquake or Hurricane Katrina, what’s wrong with asking fellow Americans to help their fellow citizens?

Ron Paul: Nothing, and I think Americans are very, very generous and they have been traditionally. The big problem is, Americans are getting poorer and they’re not able to voluntarily come to the rescue. But to coerce people to ask them to help, that is fine and dandy. But when you bankrupt our country and nobody has a job and then they say, “Well, FEMA needs to bail out everybody”, then all we do is compound our problems. And believe me, I’ve been very much involved in the hurricanes that have come into my district, and most of the people in my district do not like FEMA. They want to try to get their money out, but FEMA comes in and takes over, they take over their property rights, they dictate, they prevent some of the volunteers from going in. So there’s a strong resentment towards the way FEMA operates because there are bureaucrats who don’t understand the rule of law, nor do they understand local control and property rights. So there’s a very strong argument that this whole program that governments, through coercion and taxation, can bail out everybody when we’re flat broke, then they have to print the money. And now we’re going in to inflationary problems, which are very severe. That’s our big issue right now.

• kommisar

What’s stupid is an idiot saying we shouldn’t abolish FEMA because it would cost him his job. Your views are entirely self-serving. This is exactly why we should get rid of FEMA: so selfish assholes like you don’t get people’s tax money.

• kommisar

What are you talking about, freak? And stop sending me pointless PM’s. Get a life.

• nikolayzou

If a person who lost their home used their tax money to buy silver, they would be able to build five homes. You can’t trust the Government with your money, they are a monopoly and don’t have your best interests at heart. They will use your money to kill innocent children and civilians in illegal wars. If you don’t see Ron Paul’s point of view, you really need to listen to more of his videos and then you will understand what liberty really means.

• urdisturbing

Ladies and Gentlemen, I swear to you: This conversation with Kommisar is not set up, it is 100% real. I’m not clever enough to invent this kind of stupidity

• kommisar

Sorry, was that supposed to be funny? You’re about as funny as your comments are logical and sensible.

• kommisar

It was already mentioned before disaster relief could be handled on a state level. There’s no reason for FEMA. As RP explained, the federal government should have some intervention since the river runs on state lines, but the involvement should be very limited. Your defense for FEMA basically boils down to you not wanting to lose your job. Too bad; FEMA’s a crock of shit.

• kommisar

You should look up “logical fallacies”, because that is all you are using to make your “case”. Cry some more please.

• kommisar

I bet you don’t have one.

• King100Joe

A system of wage-labour and commodity production for sale, exchange, and profit, rather than for the immediate need of the producers. Plentiful examples of capitalism in the pre-modern era exist but, typically, capitalist exchanges were restrained by political and religious control. What has impressed students of modernity is the huge and largely unregulated dominance of capitalist enterprise across political and cultural frontiers. Capitalism ……….

• King100Joe

Oxford: an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market

• King100Joe

Websters: an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market

• sjones8295

I work for the IRS, and the other day they were making GS-5 employees stop their usual jobs and opt to work for FEMA possibly relocating all the way to Mississippi to do cleanup etc (we are located in KCMO). They gave others at lower GS levels a choice. I chose not to go after hearing Ron Paul’s philosophy, and I would happily lose my job with the IRS for Ron Paul.

• sjones8295

I work for the IRS, and the other day they were making GS-4 employees stop their usual jobs and opt to work for FEMA possibly relocating all the way to Mississippi to do cleanup etc (we are located in KCMO). They gave others at lower GS levels a choice. I chose not to go after hearing Ron Paul’s philosophy, and I would happily lose my job with the IRS for Ron Paul.

• kommisar

Again, you’re still not making any valid points, or even sense at this point.

Yes, you are a crybaby I see. Grow some skin.

• kommisar

Private service for what?

• kommisar

It was an easy reference, that’s why. Besides, I don’t see you refuting the origins of “corporatism”.

It’s a “personal attack” to point out you admitted you don’t know the difference between capitalism and corporatism? Hahaha! OK, fine, be a fucking baby.

Your demand for an example is irrelevant as you admitted you don’t know the difference. Again, quit arguing from a position of ignorance and educate yourself.

• kommisar

For what?

• kommisar

Actually, this is not true:

“Early concepts of corporatism have been traced back to ideas found in Fascist Italy, Nazi Germany, and Medieval Europe.”

-Wiki

See, you’re wrong here. The concept behind “corporatism” the way it is used here is that the government favors some businesses/industries over others.

Again, you’re arguing from a position of admitted ignorance. Stop wasting text space and go read a book or something.

• urdisturbing

“Abolish FEMA! Why Should Someone Else Rebuild My House?”

Stephen Colbert couldn’t have said it better himself

• drunkenstooge

Thank you, Dr. Paul. FEMA is a huge waste of tax dollars.