Ron Paul: I’m Running for President!

412 Responses

Date: 05/13/2011

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: president). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

George Stephanopoulos: Congressman Ron Paul joins us now from New Hampshire. Good morning, congressman. You ran in 1988, you ran in 2008. Are you running in 2012?

Ron Paul: I am. Today, at this moment, I’m officially announcing that I am a candidate for president in the Republican primary.

George Stephanopoulos: Why?

Ron Paul: Because time has come around to the point where the people are agreeing with much of what I’ve been saying for 30 years. So I think the time is right.

George Stephanopoulos: Well, this is a big step for you, Congressman. Congratulations. And as you said at the beginning, you’re not afraid to cause controversies. You seem to be doing it again. Right now, just yesterday, we showed it in John Crow’s piece, you came out against the way that President Obama conducted that raid against Osama Bin Laden, while more than 90% of the American public support it. Why are you against it?

Ron Paul: Well, I was talking about the procedure. You know, I endorsed the whole idea of going after him, I supported going in to Afghanistan. I thought we blew it then. We had them cornered and we let them get lose, and we then went and invaded Iraq. We’ve spent a trillion dollars, we’ve lost 5000 American lives, we’ve killed many, many innocent people. So the process has being very bad. So I have no qualms about getting him, I’m delighted he’s gone. But the whole thing is we could have done it differently.

George Stephanopoulos: How could we have done it differently?

Ron Paul: And besides , ignoring the Pakistani government doesn’t help us at all. It looks like we’re trying to be more antagonistic towards the Pakistanis. They have helped us in the past to catch many terrorist, and I don’t see any reason why we can’t do that.

George Stephanopoulos: But you would have taken risk?

Ron Paul: I think the process is definitely different. If you compare what we did after World War II, think of the worst Nazis who committed the holocaust, you know, we arrested them, we tried them and we hung them. I don’t know why we have to embark on a whole new system just because the people get rattled up. The politicians can rattle the people up. And after the dust settles, they might say, “Well, you know, there could have been a better way”. The other thing is, to make a decision on this whole process is a little premature. Every day we hear a different story about exactly what happened. So I was asked whether I could do it differently, and I said yes, and I think that the goals and the results would have been better. But I’m really worried about building this animosity with the Pakistanis right now. I’m all for cutting the foreign aid, I would have never given them any money, but I’m afraid that we’ve already expanded the war in to Pakistan. We’ve been bombing them, and at the same time wee bomb them, we give them foreign aid. So I think that the whole process now is to build up the enemy in Pakistan so that we have a massive invasion there and spread the war.

George Stephanopoulos: Let me turn to some issues here at home. Celia from Springfield, Ohio wants to tell us just how far your libertarian principles take you. She asks, “Do you think everyone should just be responsible for themselves, and if a flood washes your house away, no FEMA? Sink or swim?”

Ron Paul: No, I think that’s the way a free society works, and that’s the way the constitution mandates. I’m on the Gulf Coast, I have a house on the beach, or had one recently. And I don’t think somebody in New York or New Hampshire or Iowa has to pay for my flood on the Gulf Coast.

George Stephanopoulos: So how far would you go?

Ron Paul: So I bet insurance is an old fashioned way of doing it: buy insurance. And if insurance won’t sell it to you, it means it’s too dangerous. If it’s too dangerous, why dump the responsibility on the tax payer. It doesn’t make economic sense, it doesn’t make good moral sense, it doesn’t constitutional sense.

George Stephanopoulos: John showed in his piece that you would also give states the rights to legalize heroine if they wanted to. And you’re at odds with your Republican Party on so many issues: on foreign policy, on domestic policy, on social policy. Why not run as an independent, given your differences with the Republicans on some of the issues.

Ron Paul: Well, I would like to qualify a little bit about the drugs, but the question is why not I run as an independent. Because we don’t have true democracy in this country. We lose lives going overseas spreading our goodness and our great democracy, and we orchestrate elections and if we don’t like them, we avoid them, we ignore them, so we get the people that we support and the people in the CIA supports. But running as an independent here is just about impossible unless you’re a Billionaire like Ross Perot. You don’t get on debates. If I was in independent, George, you would not have me on this program this morning.

George Stephanopoulos: I’m not sure about it.

Ron Paul: I’ve been a Republican for all these years, I was elected to Congress as a Republican, my family is Republican. And I was out of the Republican Party for one year. There’s nothing wrong with nudging the Republicans to a true constitutional position to stick to their guns on fiscal conservatism.

George Stephanopoulos: Congressman, we only have a few seconds left. Last time around, you bet me everything I had in my pocket that you would win the presidency. It didn’t quite turn out that way. How do you define success this time around, in 10 seconds.

Ron Paul: My success is, I always win, you know, because the victories are one thing. But we win elections when people said we never could win elections. So I define by doing very well, I believe right now that me coming in No.1 in the Republican primary is an absolute possibility. Many, many times better than it was 4 years ago. Our troops, our supporters, the grassroots are enthusiastic, more so than they ever were. I was impressed, I’m super impressed now with the enthusiasm that we’re getting.

George Stephanopoulos: Okay. Well, good luck, Congressman.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

Processing your request, Please wait....

412 responses to “Ron Paul: I’m Running for President!”

1. SinisterBlackheart

His Support is Huge!!
    America Loves Ron Paul.
    The World Loves Ron Paul.
    He Makes Sense.
    Be Brave.
    Be Free.
    Have Rights.
    Have Compassion.
    Vote Ron Paul 2012

2. BAUSSMAN8O8

I'm voting for Ron Paul. In fact, I have his donation page open in another window and I'm going to donate $20.12 in a minute.

I know it's not much, but I'm a college student, and Paul needs to win in 2012

3. reginaDexant

JOIN THE REVOLUTION-VOTE RON PAUL 2012!!!

GET THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF OUR LIVES AND POCKETS-PAUL 2012!!!

RESPECT THE CONSTITUTION-VOTE PAUL 2012!!!
    Never underestimate the power of the primary. Find out when, where, and how to VOTE PAUL IN THE PRIMARY. Contact board of elections site or call. In some states you have to register Republican-you can still vote on all issues and anyone you like in the General.
    PUSH PAUL THROUGH-VOTE IN THE PRIMARY!!!

4. pearl6570

See the biggest Threat to Parental Rights see on this site Documentry..........Deconstructing America

5. MOXWELLDIAMOND

ron paul owning the interviewer.

6. Dan474834

Fire George! It's annoying to see him on TV, even when browsing through channels..

7. THRIC3GR3AT3ST

What a dick! Why is it always "HEROINE" that they bring up, the reason people are worried about this is because they think that the drug lords will take over and that everyone will become addicts. First of all many opiut bases pain killers and such are just different forms of these hard drugs. Second of all the crime rate would decrease substantially because there is no completition for drug territory because there are no street dealers cuz I can buy a joint a fucking 7/11!

8. thenewmike2012

He's had more than 50 yrs to publically apologize for his abhorrent inaction. This is Dr. Pauls' 3rd run for President, he's had PLENTY of opportunity to do so. To me, that says he's not truely sorry about what happened.

9. AcedMoney777

He OWNED George at 6:03 . I can't stand George's consistent disrespect for Ron Paul over the years.

10. rckflare

i love that ''WHY' 'lol, totally got ron paul off guard.

11. PensFan35

George was so quick to try and make Ron Paul look bad. Once again the media is overshadowing him.

12. Casanova050393

Liberals... if you really truly want to end marijuana prohibition and end of wars and illegal government overreach, you had better vote for Ron Paul. Not one Democrat nor one Republican except for Ron Paul will help us to find Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness . Ron Paul 2012!!

13. Brutherfordium

Ron Paul,
    Telling it like it is since before most of us were born.

14. kevin12511

c'mon america its our turn for a revolution look at whats happening around the world as we speak, Egypt, Libya, Yemen, Bahrain, Algeria, Morocco, Lebanon, Syria, Oman, Jordan, Mauritania, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Kuwait, Ivory Coast, Sudan and Palestine, greece, spain are all awaken from the evil that is there government its time to show the world that americans got the back against this great evil,,, i would rather die as a human then live as a slave

15. ToxinalX

If you read and understood the constitution, then please consider temporary registering yourself as a republican and vote for him !

16. MALEVOLENT312

I strongly disagree with anyone who thinks RON PAUL cannot win. This is'nt 2007 anymore, it's 2011. He is a mainstream candidate now, they can't write him off and he was the second biggest fundraiser last quarter. He is more popular than ever and that is because he tells the truth and stands by his decisions. He won't send your kids to go get killed for people who don't want to be like us and don't want to be free. They say the third time is the charm and I believe it's his time.

17. democratsaresmart

RON PAUL, WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR AN ANSWER! TELL AMERICAN PEOPLE HOW EXACTLY RU GOING TO CREATE JOBS? OK LETS SAY ALL TROOPS CAME BACK AND THEN WHAT? THEY ARE GOING TO SELL IPHONES AND BLACKBERRIES? DUDE BE A MEN, HOW RU GOING TO CREATE JOBS? POPULATION OF CHINA IS 1.4 B CHINESE WORK LIKE ROBOTS, BE HONEST TELL AMERICAN PEOPLE TO BUY UR BOOK U NEED CASH , U LOVE POWER, U LOVE CASH, U WILL NEVER CREATE JOBS, U HAVE NO ANSWER!

18. jason2156

7 people Vote based off of what Fox news tells them

19. Gioxtream

Is amazing ...I am beginning to hear this guy In My key food,waltmart,people talking about Ron Paul. The Truth is Rising.Rising fast.

20. Gioxtream

21. spicecrop

FUCK YOU GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED MEDIA THAT IS BIASED AND NOT FOR THE TRUTH! THE TRUTH WILL MAKE YOU FREE! LIES MAKE YOU A SLAVE! DO YOU WANT TO BE A SLAVE AMERICA?

22. spicecrop

IMAGINE HOW MUCH BETTER AMERICA WOULD BE IF RON PAUL WAS THE PRESIDENT INSTEAD OF THE ONE WE HAVE NOW. P.S. FUCK FEEMA! IT TOOK FUCKING FEEMA 3 DAYS TO GET WATER TO KATRINA VICTEMS! FEEMA IS A GOVERMENT SPENDING JOKE THAT IS USELESS!

23. spicecrop

IF AMERICA DOESN'T VOTE FOR RON PAUL THEN AMERICA WANTS TO DIE!!!!!! RON PAUL= TRUTH LIBERTY AMERICAN WAY!

24. CIBOYPRODUCTION

I CAN DESTROY EVERYTHING, I DISCOVERED THE CURE FOR CANCER THAT IS MY LENGEND . I WAS PAID ALOT TO KEEP QUITE .. . ONE DAY BY THE GRACE OF I FIGURED IT OUT , AND THE LATEST REPORT IS. WOMEN WILL GET BREAST CANCER AT INCREASE OF 100%.. THE NEW THING IS TO MAKE WOMEN CARRY DRAINING TUBES , AT A MEDICAL COST OF 100 BILLION A YEAR . NO MATTER HOW FAMOUS YOU ARE WILL NEVER KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT CANCER..

25. BrandonAnderson8002

Ron Paul 2012

26. BigGame89

Five percent of my weekly check goes to Americas last hope, Ron Paul.

27. spiritfired

Just to tell you that if you don't vote for him in 2012, I'm really going to flip (if your country still exists, that is). Remember kids, if you're a Democrat please register to Republican and make sure to check before the elections in case they switched you back "by accident". Check for phantom voters. Demand fair vote count. If you aren't bombing some country you make the others suffer by your terrible economy. We're counting on you, America. JUST VOTE RON.

Sincerely,

Someone from Malaysia

28. ooyummybunnyoo

I LOVE RON PAUL.................HE'S AWESOME..HE KNOWS WHAT HE SAYING A VERY SMART MAN VOTE FOR HIM AMERICA..

29. realjoeplummer

I understand your position. You believe there will be a difference between electing an establishment “left” candidate (Obama) or an establishment “right” candidate (Romney maybe?) …There will be no difference. Neither one will address the Federal Reserve System or any of the evils it finances. Until the FED and other "off-limits" issues are addressed, the U.S. will continue down the same path it’s been on since 1913. Google "Meet the System" for the long version of my thoughts on this matter.

30. MastaGT

This man is a genuis and very nice man, hes got my vote, america needs REAL change.

31. MrTitiez

The founding fathers would be proud of this man.. RP 2012

32. daramgeee

Ron Paul all the way!!!

33. irock1839

guys, we really have to make it happen for ron paul this election...... please keep the faith

34. PensFan35

I seriously hate when the first thing people ask him is, "YOU WANT TO LEGALIZE HEROIN?!!? WTF?!!?"

People just don't look into the issue and instead make drastic assumptions about his opinions. This is just the medias way of getting attention taken away from this guy because his ideas often scare misinformed people.

35. Alex Jones

Unlike michele bachmann's "teambachmann" ron pauls videos let you comment and rate :) I don't think I will vote for her ;)