Ron Paul: I’m Running for President!

Date: 05/13/2011

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: president). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

George Stephanopoulos: Congressman Ron Paul joins us now from New Hampshire. Good morning, congressman. You ran in 1988, you ran in 2008. Are you running in 2012?

Ron Paul: I am. Today, at this moment, I’m officially announcing that I am a candidate for president in the Republican primary.

George Stephanopoulos: Why?

Ron Paul: Because time has come around to the point where the people are agreeing with much of what I’ve been saying for 30 years. So I think the time is right.

George Stephanopoulos: Well, this is a big step for you, Congressman. Congratulations. And as you said at the beginning, you’re not afraid to cause controversies. You seem to be doing it again. Right now, just yesterday, we showed it in John Crow’s piece, you came out against the way that President Obama conducted that raid against Osama Bin Laden, while more than 90% of the American public support it. Why are you against it?

Ron Paul: Well, I was talking about the procedure. You know, I endorsed the whole idea of going after him, I supported going in to Afghanistan. I thought we blew it then. We had them cornered and we let them get lose, and we then went and invaded Iraq. We’ve spent a trillion dollars, we’ve lost 5000 American lives, we’ve killed many, many innocent people. So the process has being very bad. So I have no qualms about getting him, I’m delighted he’s gone. But the whole thing is we could have done it differently.

George Stephanopoulos: How could we have done it differently?

Ron Paul: And besides , ignoring the Pakistani government doesn’t help us at all. It looks like we’re trying to be more antagonistic towards the Pakistanis. They have helped us in the past to catch many terrorist, and I don’t see any reason why we can’t do that.

George Stephanopoulos: But you would have taken risk?

Ron Paul: I think the process is definitely different. If you compare what we did after World War II, think of the worst Nazis who committed the holocaust, you know, we arrested them, we tried them and we hung them. I don’t know why we have to embark on a whole new system just because the people get rattled up. The politicians can rattle the people up. And after the dust settles, they might say, “Well, you know, there could have been a better way”. The other thing is, to make a decision on this whole process is a little premature. Every day we hear a different story about exactly what happened. So I was asked whether I could do it differently, and I said yes, and I think that the goals and the results would have been better. But I’m really worried about building this animosity with the Pakistanis right now. I’m all for cutting the foreign aid, I would have never given them any money, but I’m afraid that we’ve already expanded the war in to Pakistan. We’ve been bombing them, and at the same time wee bomb them, we give them foreign aid. So I think that the whole process now is to build up the enemy in Pakistan so that we have a massive invasion there and spread the war.

George Stephanopoulos: Let me turn to some issues here at home. Celia from Springfield, Ohio wants to tell us just how far your libertarian principles take you. She asks, “Do you think everyone should just be responsible for themselves, and if a flood washes your house away, no FEMA? Sink or swim?”

Ron Paul: No, I think that’s the way a free society works, and that’s the way the constitution mandates. I’m on the Gulf Coast, I have a house on the beach, or had one recently. And I don’t think somebody in New York or New Hampshire or Iowa has to pay for my flood on the Gulf Coast.

George Stephanopoulos: So how far would you go?

Ron Paul: So I bet insurance is an old fashioned way of doing it: buy insurance. And if insurance won’t sell it to you, it means it’s too dangerous. If it’s too dangerous, why dump the responsibility on the tax payer. It doesn’t make economic sense, it doesn’t make good moral sense, it doesn’t constitutional sense.

George Stephanopoulos: John showed in his piece that you would also give states the rights to legalize heroine if they wanted to. And you’re at odds with your Republican Party on so many issues: on foreign policy, on domestic policy, on social policy. Why not run as an independent, given your differences with the Republicans on some of the issues.

Ron Paul: Well, I would like to qualify a little bit about the drugs, but the question is why not I run as an independent. Because we don’t have true democracy in this country. We lose lives going overseas spreading our goodness and our great democracy, and we orchestrate elections and if we don’t like them, we avoid them, we ignore them, so we get the people that we support and the people in the CIA supports. But running as an independent here is just about impossible unless you’re a Billionaire like Ross Perot. You don’t get on debates. If I was in independent, George, you would not have me on this program this morning.

George Stephanopoulos: I’m not sure about it.

Ron Paul: I’ve been a Republican for all these years, I was elected to Congress as a Republican, my family is Republican. And I was out of the Republican Party for one year. There’s nothing wrong with nudging the Republicans to a true constitutional position to stick to their guns on fiscal conservatism.

George Stephanopoulos: Congressman, we only have a few seconds left. Last time around, you bet me everything I had in my pocket that you would win the presidency. It didn’t quite turn out that way. How do you define success this time around, in 10 seconds.

Ron Paul: My success is, I always win, you know, because the victories are one thing. But we win elections when people said we never could win elections. So I define by doing very well, I believe right now that me coming in No.1 in the Republican primary is an absolute possibility. Many, many times better than it was 4 years ago. Our troops, our supporters, the grassroots are enthusiastic, more so than they ever were. I was impressed, I’m super impressed now with the enthusiasm that we’re getting.

George Stephanopoulos: Okay. Well, good luck, Congressman.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

1. Ron Paul looking more fit & coming in clearer than ever. He's not going to let the b.s. dinosaur media talk over him anymore. He knows that he is winning over more voters this coming election, most likely including me this time around.

2. xKillTheMachines

lol at how he just keeps talking through his questions....

3. Its weird how people like Ron Paul who say the gov shouldnt help people and people should look after themselves are also Christian, which has an ideology of helping the poor and looking after people. Very odd........

4. Its weird how people like Ron Paul who say the gov shouldnt help people and people should look after themselves are also Christian, which has an ideology of helping the poor and looking after people. Very odd........

5. Ron Paul is speaking better in this election, he is hard hitting, his delivering his points much better and his frame is not broken by this reporter. His message is cathing fire in America and around the world. Well Done Ron Paul keep it up.

6. Ron Paul is speaking better in this election, he is hard hitting, his delivering his points much better and his frame is not broken by this reporter. His message is cathing fire in America and around the world. Well Done Ron Paul keep it up.

7. Yeh!! If people get caught in a natural disaster let them drown!! Thats real freedom!!

8. Yeh!! If people get caught in a natural disaster let them drown!! Thats real freedom!!

9. i love when smart politicians make retarded supporters just stfu!

10. LOL, this reporter just shuts up after a while...thank God.

11. I hope we have time, we all pull together right now and make sure we make it to the election and don't let "they" trick us or turn off the electric come election day, we might can do this. Plan ahead, enable alternate methods of voting in case the power or internet is out. Plan and come together people!!

12. RoflmaoAtSheepeople

Mr paul I do not think you have the time,looks like WW-3 is comeing I see it all comeing together!! The globalest are kill us,looks that way right now (think) History is a just a Programme.God knows we need you BUT WE ARE OUT OF TIME!
    you do have my vote thanks

13. RoflmaoAtSheepeople

14. haha.u get the feeling the interviewer does not like RP running.His expression says it all.Go paul go.the UK supports you.

15. TheConspiracyRealist

Youtube isn't putt my top comment with 43 thumbs up in the 'top comments' spot so I will keep putting it near the top. "That douche should talk to Mr.Paul with some respect, then again he is a 'news' reporter."

16. Its been very hard for me to accept, but I DO NOT trust Ron Paul for one bit. For me hes another puppet. First lets look at his policy of ending the FED, he makes it look so nice, end the fed huh, then what? global currency? Would mean global government. The fed IS bad no doubt, but we're only now being allowed to know this because now is when they want it end, to begin the next currency. I think Im going to pass on the voting this time, too many corrupt leaders in the past, this time no more

17. Ron for president

18. ibet this media shill got orders to give ron paul a hard shoulder no matter what and believe me the media will never mention his name in regular broadcasts unless he comes on the show

19. I cant wait to say President Paul!! Or will it be Dr. President?

20. Congratulation America, Dr. Paul has decided for 2012