Ron Paul: I’m Running for President!

412 Responses

Date: 05/13/2011

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: president). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

George Stephanopoulos: Congressman Ron Paul joins us now from New Hampshire. Good morning, congressman. You ran in 1988, you ran in 2008. Are you running in 2012?

Ron Paul: I am. Today, at this moment, I’m officially announcing that I am a candidate for president in the Republican primary.

George Stephanopoulos: Why?

Ron Paul: Because time has come around to the point where the people are agreeing with much of what I’ve been saying for 30 years. So I think the time is right.

George Stephanopoulos: Well, this is a big step for you, Congressman. Congratulations. And as you said at the beginning, you’re not afraid to cause controversies. You seem to be doing it again. Right now, just yesterday, we showed it in John Crow’s piece, you came out against the way that President Obama conducted that raid against Osama Bin Laden, while more than 90% of the American public support it. Why are you against it?

Ron Paul: Well, I was talking about the procedure. You know, I endorsed the whole idea of going after him, I supported going in to Afghanistan. I thought we blew it then. We had them cornered and we let them get lose, and we then went and invaded Iraq. We’ve spent a trillion dollars, we’ve lost 5000 American lives, we’ve killed many, many innocent people. So the process has being very bad. So I have no qualms about getting him, I’m delighted he’s gone. But the whole thing is we could have done it differently.

George Stephanopoulos: How could we have done it differently?

Ron Paul: And besides , ignoring the Pakistani government doesn’t help us at all. It looks like we’re trying to be more antagonistic towards the Pakistanis. They have helped us in the past to catch many terrorist, and I don’t see any reason why we can’t do that.

George Stephanopoulos: But you would have taken risk?

Ron Paul: I think the process is definitely different. If you compare what we did after World War II, think of the worst Nazis who committed the holocaust, you know, we arrested them, we tried them and we hung them. I don’t know why we have to embark on a whole new system just because the people get rattled up. The politicians can rattle the people up. And after the dust settles, they might say, “Well, you know, there could have been a better way”. The other thing is, to make a decision on this whole process is a little premature. Every day we hear a different story about exactly what happened. So I was asked whether I could do it differently, and I said yes, and I think that the goals and the results would have been better. But I’m really worried about building this animosity with the Pakistanis right now. I’m all for cutting the foreign aid, I would have never given them any money, but I’m afraid that we’ve already expanded the war in to Pakistan. We’ve been bombing them, and at the same time wee bomb them, we give them foreign aid. So I think that the whole process now is to build up the enemy in Pakistan so that we have a massive invasion there and spread the war.

George Stephanopoulos: Let me turn to some issues here at home. Celia from Springfield, Ohio wants to tell us just how far your libertarian principles take you. She asks, “Do you think everyone should just be responsible for themselves, and if a flood washes your house away, no FEMA? Sink or swim?”

Ron Paul: No, I think that’s the way a free society works, and that’s the way the constitution mandates. I’m on the Gulf Coast, I have a house on the beach, or had one recently. And I don’t think somebody in New York or New Hampshire or Iowa has to pay for my flood on the Gulf Coast.

George Stephanopoulos: So how far would you go?

Ron Paul: So I bet insurance is an old fashioned way of doing it: buy insurance. And if insurance won’t sell it to you, it means it’s too dangerous. If it’s too dangerous, why dump the responsibility on the tax payer. It doesn’t make economic sense, it doesn’t make good moral sense, it doesn’t constitutional sense.

George Stephanopoulos: John showed in his piece that you would also give states the rights to legalize heroine if they wanted to. And you’re at odds with your Republican Party on so many issues: on foreign policy, on domestic policy, on social policy. Why not run as an independent, given your differences with the Republicans on some of the issues.

Ron Paul: Well, I would like to qualify a little bit about the drugs, but the question is why not I run as an independent. Because we don’t have true democracy in this country. We lose lives going overseas spreading our goodness and our great democracy, and we orchestrate elections and if we don’t like them, we avoid them, we ignore them, so we get the people that we support and the people in the CIA supports. But running as an independent here is just about impossible unless you’re a Billionaire like Ross Perot. You don’t get on debates. If I was in independent, George, you would not have me on this program this morning.

George Stephanopoulos: I’m not sure about it.

Ron Paul: I’ve been a Republican for all these years, I was elected to Congress as a Republican, my family is Republican. And I was out of the Republican Party for one year. There’s nothing wrong with nudging the Republicans to a true constitutional position to stick to their guns on fiscal conservatism.

George Stephanopoulos: Congressman, we only have a few seconds left. Last time around, you bet me everything I had in my pocket that you would win the presidency. It didn’t quite turn out that way. How do you define success this time around, in 10 seconds.

Ron Paul: My success is, I always win, you know, because the victories are one thing. But we win elections when people said we never could win elections. So I define by doing very well, I believe right now that me coming in No.1 in the Republican primary is an absolute possibility. Many, many times better than it was 4 years ago. Our troops, our supporters, the grassroots are enthusiastic, more so than they ever were. I was impressed, I’m super impressed now with the enthusiasm that we’re getting.

George Stephanopoulos: Okay. Well, good luck, Congressman.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

Processing your request, Please wait....

412 responses to “Ron Paul: I’m Running for President!”

1. MattsPolitics1

The guys sounds to sound tough with his quick “why” but he’s too much of a pussy to cut ron paul off… for a news spinning professional…he really sucks lol. Ron Paull 2012

2. mike smith

RON PAUL 2012!

5. ofcccaddy2004

the ron paul moneybomb is approaching 4 million online.. lets keep it up

only 4 points behind newt gingrich in iowa and surging

RON PAUL 2012!

6. Thug Nificent

Elect real change this time US citizens.

7. deathskunk3

Elect real change this time US citizens.

8. 0001connie

1:47 how fucking rude! Fucking asshole.

9. carp1844

Could George have possibly shown any more contempt for Ron Paul? Ron Paul is now second behind Romney and GMA still didn’t mention him or show his face this morning during the poll coverage. How on earth could GMA time and time again fail to mention Paul or his standing and escape criticism? Once or twice maybe but not EVERY SINGLE TIME! The average American is ignorant but not stupid. GMA can’t keep up this farce for ever and expect to be taken seriously.

10. AjGuitarist

“Why?”

11. DaFleegsta

If you had to chose between poison 1, poison 2, and the cure, and you had a 90% chance to get the poisons, but only a 10% chance to get the cure, you’d still pick the cure wouldn’t you?

At the moment Dr Ron Paul has a much greater chance to win than 10%. He has more supporters now than he’s ever had before. His numbers never drop; his supporters never leave. It was only a matter of time until they reached the breaking point, and that time has come.

Vote ron paul 2012. Pick the cure.

12. Max stateofloveandtrust

Imagine your wife weighed 800 pounds and never took a shower or combed her hair.
    And you brought her plates full of cheeseburgers and french fries, saying, “Aw, you’re so pretty.”
    That’s not love.
    This is love: AMERICA, STOP HOGGING THE WORLD, START CLEANING UP YOUR MILITANT ATTITUDE, AND RUN A FINE-TOOTH COMB THROUGH THOSE CORPORATE-KISSING LAWS!
    And oh, America — I love you. I just want you to be healthy. No more greasy prejudice for you. I don’t want you to have a heart attack

13. Max stateofloveandtrust

That’s not love.

14. Nevermind900426

That’s not love.

15. Nevermind900426

That’s not love.

16. mQtek

I am from Sweden and I urge you all who can vote, to vote. The only way you can fix your country is by voting for Ron Paul, I cannot express in words how much I want him to win, how much I want your country to rise up. Set a good example to all countries all over the world, unite and stand against the scum, the dogs, the shit, the cunts, the filth.

17. ИоуТубе?

Dude just vote for Ron Paul, you know he’s right, just do the honest.

18. crazy3d

Dude just vote for Ron Paul, you know he’s right, just do the honest.

19. miracleneeded

Ron Paul won the California Straw Poll
    Ron Paul won the Value Voters Straw Poll
    Ron Paul lost Iowa by 150 votes, 2nd place to Bachman who is from Iowa. Stephanopolous is a JERK!

20. miracleneeded

Get an education BUDDY!! You obviously do not understand FREEDOm and leaving the regulations up to the STATES and WE THE PEOPLE!!

21. miracleneeded

Stephanopolous: You are a condescending jerk! I always change the channel the second I see you on! You are a complete moron and should really get an education!!

22. miracleneeded

Thank you for your support of RonPaul. If you know others that will be 18 before November 2012, they can participate in the caucus. Go to Ron Pauls website and get involved with a meetup group as well. Thank you thank you!! Ron Paul 2012

23. miracleneeded

Contributions or gifts to Ron Paul 2012 Presidential Committee are not deductible as charitable contributions for Federal income tax purposes.

If you would like to send a paper check, please send it to:

Ron Paul 2012 Presidential Committee

845 Plantation Drive

Clute, TX 77531

Ron Paul says he will take a $39,000 salary as President. Obama and Bush and even Clinton would have been real leaders!!!

24. miracleneeded

If you would like to send a paper check, please send it to:

Ron Paul 2012 Presidential Committee

845 Plantation Drive

Clute, TX 77531

25. Joe Plummer

Google: newsmax harris poll

26. realjoeplummer

Google: newsmax harris poll

27. a211pc

I was just told Ron Paul just came in with 37% on some poll thats hopeful ..maybe he can muster a few more votes in the coming months ..I hope he does with his enforcement of the Consitution..

28. a211pc

29. a211pc

30. Joe Plummer

If you don’t vote for Ron Paul, you get Obama REGARDLESS of who wins. (Maybe the puppet will be older or younger, taller or shorter, lighter or darker, but he / she will be a puppet controlled by the same masters any way you slice it.) I learned my lesson about choosing the so-called ‘lesser of two evils’ long ago but It’s your vote, go ahead and waste it …

31. realjoeplummer

32. a211pc

Ron Paul has run in the last 4 Pres elections .. he has never mustered more then 3% of the vote .. maybe he will do better this time 4% … a vote for him is a wasted vote and puts Obama back in office ..too bad those that want to vote for Paul don’t remember what the votes for Perot did ..I voted for Perot and learned my lesson.. its your vote go ahead and waste it …

33. a211pc

I agree Ron Paul is terrific BUT CAN NOT WIN ..he does not have the overall appeal to WIN..if you waste your vote you will put OBAMA back in ..remember Perot I voted for him..remember Barry Goldwater he lost too and split the vote ..vote for RON and put OBAMA back in unfortunately and if you disagree you are not being a realist.. Paul can NOT WIN>>> I wish I was wrong ..

34. a211pc

I agree Ron Paul is terrific BUT CAN NOT WIN ..he does not have the overall appeal to WIN..if you waste your vote you will put OBAMA back in ..remember Perot I voted for him..remember Barry Goldwater he lost too and split the vote ..vote for RON and put OBAMA back in unfortunately and if you disagree you are not being a realist.. Paul can NOT WIN >>> I wish I was wrong ..

35. leon1987a

The problem is we always vote with that sense of pragmatism, because we dismiss the outside possibility. If you keep doing that, things don’t change- you get the satisfaction of being correct in your assertion, but not the change you truly hope for.

If you don’t take a risk, you’ll never gain anything. You’ll just stay right where you are.

I’m voting for Ron Paul because I believe in him and his political positions, and I trust his honesty and integrity more than anyone else. That’s it