Ron Paul: I’m Running for President!

Date: 05/13/2011

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: president). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

George Stephanopoulos: Congressman Ron Paul joins us now from New Hampshire. Good morning, congressman. You ran in 1988, you ran in 2008. Are you running in 2012?

Ron Paul: I am. Today, at this moment, I’m officially announcing that I am a candidate for president in the Republican primary.

George Stephanopoulos: Why?

Ron Paul: Because time has come around to the point where the people are agreeing with much of what I’ve been saying for 30 years. So I think the time is right.

George Stephanopoulos: Well, this is a big step for you, Congressman. Congratulations. And as you said at the beginning, you’re not afraid to cause controversies. You seem to be doing it again. Right now, just yesterday, we showed it in John Crow’s piece, you came out against the way that President Obama conducted that raid against Osama Bin Laden, while more than 90% of the American public support it. Why are you against it?

Ron Paul: Well, I was talking about the procedure. You know, I endorsed the whole idea of going after him, I supported going in to Afghanistan. I thought we blew it then. We had them cornered and we let them get lose, and we then went and invaded Iraq. We’ve spent a trillion dollars, we’ve lost 5000 American lives, we’ve killed many, many innocent people. So the process has being very bad. So I have no qualms about getting him, I’m delighted he’s gone. But the whole thing is we could have done it differently.

George Stephanopoulos: How could we have done it differently?

Ron Paul: And besides , ignoring the Pakistani government doesn’t help us at all. It looks like we’re trying to be more antagonistic towards the Pakistanis. They have helped us in the past to catch many terrorist, and I don’t see any reason why we can’t do that.

George Stephanopoulos: But you would have taken risk?

Ron Paul: I think the process is definitely different. If you compare what we did after World War II, think of the worst Nazis who committed the holocaust, you know, we arrested them, we tried them and we hung them. I don’t know why we have to embark on a whole new system just because the people get rattled up. The politicians can rattle the people up. And after the dust settles, they might say, “Well, you know, there could have been a better way”. The other thing is, to make a decision on this whole process is a little premature. Every day we hear a different story about exactly what happened. So I was asked whether I could do it differently, and I said yes, and I think that the goals and the results would have been better. But I’m really worried about building this animosity with the Pakistanis right now. I’m all for cutting the foreign aid, I would have never given them any money, but I’m afraid that we’ve already expanded the war in to Pakistan. We’ve been bombing them, and at the same time wee bomb them, we give them foreign aid. So I think that the whole process now is to build up the enemy in Pakistan so that we have a massive invasion there and spread the war.

George Stephanopoulos: Let me turn to some issues here at home. Celia from Springfield, Ohio wants to tell us just how far your libertarian principles take you. She asks, “Do you think everyone should just be responsible for themselves, and if a flood washes your house away, no FEMA? Sink or swim?”

Ron Paul: No, I think that’s the way a free society works, and that’s the way the constitution mandates. I’m on the Gulf Coast, I have a house on the beach, or had one recently. And I don’t think somebody in New York or New Hampshire or Iowa has to pay for my flood on the Gulf Coast.

George Stephanopoulos: So how far would you go?

Ron Paul: So I bet insurance is an old fashioned way of doing it: buy insurance. And if insurance won’t sell it to you, it means it’s too dangerous. If it’s too dangerous, why dump the responsibility on the tax payer. It doesn’t make economic sense, it doesn’t make good moral sense, it doesn’t constitutional sense.

George Stephanopoulos: John showed in his piece that you would also give states the rights to legalize heroine if they wanted to. And you’re at odds with your Republican Party on so many issues: on foreign policy, on domestic policy, on social policy. Why not run as an independent, given your differences with the Republicans on some of the issues.

Ron Paul: Well, I would like to qualify a little bit about the drugs, but the question is why not I run as an independent. Because we don’t have true democracy in this country. We lose lives going overseas spreading our goodness and our great democracy, and we orchestrate elections and if we don’t like them, we avoid them, we ignore them, so we get the people that we support and the people in the CIA supports. But running as an independent here is just about impossible unless you’re a Billionaire like Ross Perot. You don’t get on debates. If I was in independent, George, you would not have me on this program this morning.

George Stephanopoulos: I’m not sure about it.

Ron Paul: I’ve been a Republican for all these years, I was elected to Congress as a Republican, my family is Republican. And I was out of the Republican Party for one year. There’s nothing wrong with nudging the Republicans to a true constitutional position to stick to their guns on fiscal conservatism.

George Stephanopoulos: Congressman, we only have a few seconds left. Last time around, you bet me everything I had in my pocket that you would win the presidency. It didn’t quite turn out that way. How do you define success this time around, in 10 seconds.

Ron Paul: My success is, I always win, you know, because the victories are one thing. But we win elections when people said we never could win elections. So I define by doing very well, I believe right now that me coming in No.1 in the Republican primary is an absolute possibility. Many, many times better than it was 4 years ago. Our troops, our supporters, the grassroots are enthusiastic, more so than they ever were. I was impressed, I’m super impressed now with the enthusiasm that we’re getting.

George Stephanopoulos: Okay. Well, good luck, Congressman.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

1. The majority of American people are dissatisfied with the direction our country is headed and we are looking for something different. Ron Paul is different. The best kind of different. And his policies are resonating with so many of us. Ron Paul is exactly what our country needs right now. He has my vote.

2. The majority of American people are dissatisfied with the direction our country is headed and we are looking for something different. Ron Paul is different. The best kind of different. And his policies are resonating with so many of us. Ron Paul is exactly what our country needs right now. He has my vote.

3. "Why?"... "uummmm, because I want to be dictator of Iraq?" What the hell do you mean why. That's like asking "why do you breath?" "Well, because you die if you don't, and I thought that was common knowledge". And the reason people announce that they are running for president is to become president. If they did not announce that they were running that would be very difficult.

4. democratsaresmart

RON PAUL, LETS SAY WE BRING ALL TROOPS HOME AND BECOME A PUSSY COUNTRY AND LET CHINA TELL US WHAT TO DO, TELL ME HOW ARE YOU GOING TO CREATE JOBS IF POPULATION OF CHINA IS 1.4 B? CHINESE WORK LIKE ROBOTS, AMERICANS WILL NEVER WORK LIKE ANTS, NOW TELL ME HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU GOING TO CREATE JOBS? SHAME ON YOU ! YOU JUST WANNA SELL UR BOOK AND U LIE TO AMERICAN PEOPLE ABOUT JOBS! AMERICAN PEOPLE WAKE UP , ROBOTS WILL REPLACE US , LEARN COMPUTERS! HOW CONSTITUTION CAN CREATE JOBS? SHAME ON YOU!

5. GeorgeVreelandHill

He is better than anyone out there.
    Ron Paul speaks his mind and he is honest.
    His ideas will get us out of this economic mess and other things.

George Vreeland Hill

6. Ron Paul 2012!

7. Ron Paul 2012!

8. this host was just as much as a snob to Paul as he was in 2008

9. Wow! I'll go for Ron Paul even if I don't have the chance to vote...If I were to vote, I would go for him for a brighter tomorrow:)..Indeed, he has had a lot of good works to show to the entire world...

10. dont you just hate that fucking asshole stefanopolous, he better not show his homo face on Santorini

11. From the Republic of the Philippines:

Long Live Liberty!!!!

Godspeed USA. God Bless Ron Paul.

12. Vote Ron Pual In 2012!!!! Legalize Marijuana!!!

send it to everyvideo

13. Am Driving from New York City to - Arizona ..... I have a brand new Nissan Car i would like to get some help on Wraping my Car with Ron Paul 2012 i will be driving in September so i am in NYC if i can get my car Wrapped ASAP so i can drive around NYC Manhattan etc I will keep the Wrap on my car until Ron Paul 2012 Presidential Campaign Run

if anyone has a idea of helping me in this plz email me ASAP

14. Ron Paul is polling better and better every week. People are flocking to him in growing numbers. Its pretty awesome. Its hard to disagree with him once you hear his un-biased views.

15. News caster is a tool I remember the way Paul was treated in 08

16. very good Ron Paul but a word of advise watch out for the CIA; they might kill u like they did to John F kennedy. Try to stay alive,our hopes and dreams are with u always.........

17. democratsaresmart

RON PAUL IS GOING TO BE PROSECUTED BY UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! ITS UNCONSTITUTIONAL TO CALL AMERICAN PEOPLE INVADERS AND INITIATERS OF WARS.

RON PAUL SAID THE USA INVADES COUNTRIES AND STARTS WARS, WHICH GIVES USA A BAD REPUTATION AROUND THE WORLD , THEREFORE IT IS CONSIDERED A CRIME . A US CITIZEN WHO

WAS BORN IN USA CANT GO AGAINST GOVERNMENT POLICIES WHICH MIGHT TREATEN THE FUTURE

OF THE COUNTRYS SECURITY .

RON PAUL WILL BE PROSECUTED BY US GOVERNMENT!

18. Everyone watch this video Video Confirms what Ron Paul says "I always win" done to T-pain "I always win". I like his style just talk them(msm) over with TRUTH

/watch?v=Xtl2ZuJpG9M

19. I turn 18 in 2012 and will be able to vote in the election. I am starting to look up facts and I am seriously considering voting for Ron Paul.

20. I'm only 16 and don't really understand what goes on behind politics, but i understand that this man wants whats truly best for this country. He is basically flipping typical politics off, and is truly wanting to do it the way that will benefit america according to the constitution.