How Much Freedom Do We Have If We Can’t Even Drink Unpasteurized Milk?

Date: 05/16/2011

The Milk Police

by Ron Paul

On April 20th, after a year-long undercover sting operation, armed federal agents acting on behalf of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) raided the business of Pennsylvanian Amish farmer Dan Allgyer to prevent him from selling his unpasteurized milk to willing, fully-informed customers in Maryland. Federal agents wasted a whole year and who knows how many of our tax dollars posing as customers in order to catch Allgyer committing the “crime” of selling his milk. He was not tricking people into buying it, he was not forcing people to purchase it, and there had been no complaints about his product. These were completely voluntary transactions, but ones that our nanny-state federal government did not approve of, and so they shut down his business. The arrogance of the FDA and so many other federal agencies is simply appalling. These types of police state raids on peaceful businessmen, so reminiscent of our tyrannical federal drug war, have no place in a free society.

The FDA claims its regulatory powers over food safety give it the authority to ban the interstate sales of raw milk, but this is an unconstitutional misapplication of the commerce clause for legislative ends. As we have seen, if the executive branch feels hamstrung by the fact that our framers placed lawmaking authority in the Legislative Branch, they simply make their own laws and call them “regulations.” We all know how the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) uses such bogus regulation authority to harass, hinder, and shut down countless other legitimate businesses. Sadly, Congress has been far too lax for far too long as the executive branch continues to encroach on its areas of responsibility and thereby undermines our system of government.

Most Americans understand that if you don’t want to drink unpasteurized milk you simply do not buy it. But the federal government solution is pre-dawn raids which destroy the livelihoods of honest, hardworking families in this time of continued economic hardship.

I am outraged by this raid and the many others like it, and that is why last week I introduced HR 1830, a bill to allow the shipment and distribution of unpasteurized milk and milk products for human consumption across state lines. This legislation removes the unconstitutional restraint on farmers who wish to sell or otherwise distribute, and people who wish to consume, unpasteurized milk and milk products.

Many Americans have done their own research and come to the conclusion that unpasteurized milk is healthier than pasteurized milk. These Americans have the right to consume these products without having the federal government second-guess their judgment or thwart their wishes. If there are legitimate concerns about the safety of unpasteurized milk, those concerns should be addressed at the state and local level.

I am hoping my colleagues in the House will join me in promoting individual rights, the original intent of the Constitution, and federalism by cosponsoring this legislation to allow the interstate shipment of unpasteurized milk and milk products for human consumption.

If we are not even free anymore to decide something as basic as what we wish to eat or drink, how much freedom do we really have left?

1. I really like what you guys tend to be up too. This sort of clever work and coverage! Keep up the great works guys I've added you guys to my personal blogroll.

2. Rattling good information can be found on blog . "Search others for their virtues, thyself for thy vices." by Benjamin Franklin.

3. alter’d haver until blurred with inner man in this place. Which is in no case any alter ego as things go do! ego profit by video signal framer come across that will power intake lower class think. Also, paean on lax me up to comment!

4. I have read a few good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you put to create such a fantastic informative web site.

5. Compared with a toll quite a lot of protection money.

6. Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

7. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.

8. dictionary and definitions

9. I came across this info earlier today while at the office. Very helpful. Sent the link to myself and will almost certainly bookmark it when I go back home.

10. Youre so awesome, man! I cant believe I missed this blog for so long. Its just great stuff all round. Your design, man...too amazing! I cant wait to read what youve got next. I love everything that youre saying and want more, more, MORE! Keep this up, man! Its just too good.

11. These days of austerity along with relative stress about incurring debt, most people balk up against the idea of making use of a credit card to make acquisition of merchandise or maybe pay for any gift giving occasion, preferring, instead only to rely on this tried along with trusted approach to making transaction - raw cash. However, in case you have the cash available to make the purchase 100 %, then, paradoxically, that is the best time just to be able to use the cards for several reasons.

12. Thanks for the helpful write-up. It is also my belief that mesothelioma has an very long latency time, which means that symptoms of the disease might not emerge till 30 to 50 years after the preliminary exposure to mesothelioma. Pleural mesothelioma, and that is the most common style and is affecting the area around the lungs, could cause shortness of breath, breasts pains, including a persistent cough, which may bring on coughing up blood.

13. Thanks for expressing your ideas in this article. The other element is that any time a problem comes up with a pc motherboard, persons should not have some risk involving repairing that themselves because if it is not done properly it can lead to irreparable damage to the complete laptop. It's usually safe just to approach any dealer of that laptop with the repair of that motherboard. They've technicians that have an skills in dealing with laptop motherboard issues and can make the right prognosis and execute repairs.

14. I ought to say, as a lot as I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I couldnt help but lose interest following a while. Its as in case you had a wonderful grasp on the topic matter, but you forgot to contain your readers. Possibly you need to think about this from far a lot more than 1 angle. Or maybe you shouldnt generalise so considerably. Its better in the event you take into consideration what others may possibly have to say rather of just going for a gut reaction to the subject. Think about adjusting your personal believed procedure and giving other people who could read this the benefit of the doubt.

15. Wow, su perb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is fantastic, let alone the content!

16. I've said that least 1354458 times. SCK was here

17. What California did to Rawesome Foods, the Obama administration can do to everyone

Remember the armed raids on Rawesome Foods? With guns drawn, California authorities assaulted the food distribution center, arrested the farmers, then proceeded to destroy $50,000 worth of food including milk, eggs, cheese and watermelons. ( naturalnewscom/033220_Rawesome­_Foods_armed_raidshtml)

18. What California did to Rawesome Foods, the Obama administration can do to everyone

19. I SHOUT TO THE PUBLIC...and say

EITHER WE HAVE UNLIMITED RIGHTS or

WE HAVE NO RIGHTS AT ALL

PERSONALY I SIDE WITH HAVING UNLIMITED RIGHTS... BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION. NO PUN INTENDED

20. You know what would be great and goes along with this topic?
    If in the future there would be a return of the family dairy farms that used to dot the midwestern countryside.
    Maybe raw milk sales would enable that to happen.If it helps the family farmer, I'm all for it.