How Much Freedom Do We Have If We Can’t Even Drink Unpasteurized Milk?

Date: 05/16/2011

The Milk Police

by Ron Paul

On April 20th, after a year-long undercover sting operation, armed federal agents acting on behalf of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) raided the business of Pennsylvanian Amish farmer Dan Allgyer to prevent him from selling his unpasteurized milk to willing, fully-informed customers in Maryland. Federal agents wasted a whole year and who knows how many of our tax dollars posing as customers in order to catch Allgyer committing the “crime” of selling his milk. He was not tricking people into buying it, he was not forcing people to purchase it, and there had been no complaints about his product. These were completely voluntary transactions, but ones that our nanny-state federal government did not approve of, and so they shut down his business. The arrogance of the FDA and so many other federal agencies is simply appalling. These types of police state raids on peaceful businessmen, so reminiscent of our tyrannical federal drug war, have no place in a free society.

The FDA claims its regulatory powers over food safety give it the authority to ban the interstate sales of raw milk, but this is an unconstitutional misapplication of the commerce clause for legislative ends. As we have seen, if the executive branch feels hamstrung by the fact that our framers placed lawmaking authority in the Legislative Branch, they simply make their own laws and call them “regulations.” We all know how the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) uses such bogus regulation authority to harass, hinder, and shut down countless other legitimate businesses. Sadly, Congress has been far too lax for far too long as the executive branch continues to encroach on its areas of responsibility and thereby undermines our system of government.

Most Americans understand that if you don’t want to drink unpasteurized milk you simply do not buy it. But the federal government solution is pre-dawn raids which destroy the livelihoods of honest, hardworking families in this time of continued economic hardship.

I am outraged by this raid and the many others like it, and that is why last week I introduced HR 1830, a bill to allow the shipment and distribution of unpasteurized milk and milk products for human consumption across state lines. This legislation removes the unconstitutional restraint on farmers who wish to sell or otherwise distribute, and people who wish to consume, unpasteurized milk and milk products.

Many Americans have done their own research and come to the conclusion that unpasteurized milk is healthier than pasteurized milk. These Americans have the right to consume these products without having the federal government second-guess their judgment or thwart their wishes. If there are legitimate concerns about the safety of unpasteurized milk, those concerns should be addressed at the state and local level.

I am hoping my colleagues in the House will join me in promoting individual rights, the original intent of the Constitution, and federalism by cosponsoring this legislation to allow the interstate shipment of unpasteurized milk and milk products for human consumption.

If we are not even free anymore to decide something as basic as what we wish to eat or drink, how much freedom do we really have left?

1. cyberpolice9000

Holy shit, what the fuck is wrong with the government? And people who vote for authoritarians?

2. So now Gov thinks they can tell me what Food i can eat or Drink, wow just wow. Our country is closer to a dictatorship than ever. People if we don’t act now we’ll have no freedoms left. First drugs, now its slow becoming food as we can see, soon it will be freedom of speech or right to bare arms. The time is now to put an end to all this bullshit.

3. BEAUTIFUL choice of battle MR RON PAUL, its hard to make them look more ridiculous than that!

4. I grew up on raw milk raised at home in California. Back to China where I just visited! They have more freedom now than we do!

America faces tyranny to families (CPS abducting and exploiting children of good families), their food supply and livelihoods (FDA targeting honest Amish farmers), their children’s religious upbringing (government indoctrination into naturalism religion), their homes and national wealth (siphoned off to corrupt bankers), and their money (manipulated and devaluated at the whim of the FED).

Beyond this, all 10 of my rights in the Bill of Rights have been violated. Who cares? I want to know. Dr. Paul, I can tell you more if you email me. You’d hardly believe; Nor have I met anyone else who had all ten violated.

_-Ted

5. armchairquarterback

Dr. Paul. Please start plugging your campaign website. Here’s your answer to the flood question.

They should just open the spillways a little bit in anticipation for the flood season and then a bureaucratic nightmare of which citizens to flood out would not ensue.

6. I second captkirkconnell’s message above. A billion spent by your campaign will cost the enemies of the constitution $1.60 to dilute your message. And here I’m going to do it for free:

All Ron Paul supporters should just go ahead and drink raw milk. The only law that would ever come into play to stop them is the law of natural selection.

7. Too Much Government!
    I am tired of being told every step of the way what I am allowed to do and not allowed to do by the “Federal” Government. If I choose to drink unpasteurized mike I should have that right (by the way, I’m a farm girl from Pennsylvania myself, only had raw mike until I moved to the city) Raw milk tastes better than the watered down, cream free, pasteurized milk… in my opinion. If an informed buyer wants to buy unpasteurized milk they should be able to. Just a added note; The Amish do not have electricity, it would prove very difficult for the Amish farmer to pasteurize his milk without sending in to a processing plant. At the plant he will be paid the going rate for his milk-just pennies per pound. The farmer will lose a great deal of his profit margin, while the middleman will reap the profit, of course along the way the government would gain more tax and permit revenues
    Let the population make their own choices with out the government intrusion. It’s all about the money and the power….get rid of big government…Save America! Let the little man make a living!

8. Get the word out on this man fast, we only have 2 years to get him elected.

9. What are You gonna do to help Ron Paul to become president ? How can we help him?

10. acneerasingsecrets

Thanks for supporting this Ron Paul! Very VERY VERY Cool.

11. This makes me want to cry when I hear of them shutting down an innocent Amish farmers business. Raw milk helped make my tooth stronger so I didn’t need a root canal. The Amish are friendly people. This is common sense people … baby cows drink milk right from the mother cow.. The mother cow doesn’t pasteurize it first and then feed the baby calf.. cause anybody with common sense would know the calf wouldn’t grow right or might get sick! So why the hell do we do it and then drink it?! WOW

12. I buy Unpasteurized Milk, because I like it. I am grateful my source risks going to prison so I can enjoy healthy milk. Go Dr. Ron Paul 2012!

13. Its sad a representative in TX has to stand up for people in MD…but obviously needed…go Paul ! ! !

14. Hahaha no friggin way, in the US! What kind of a brain damage is in charge of your nation guys?
    Pffff, I guess they’re thinking like “The largest problems are so big we can’t fix them, so let’s waste our time instead figuring out how to do stupid things like banning raw milk”.

15. How much freedom do we have if we can not even smoke weed?

16. Unpasteurized milk… NOOOO STOP IT NOW!! It’s terrorism at it’s worst. Those damn cows!!! Quick write me a law banning unpasteurized milk.. I don’t want to drink it, so I need that law!!! =)

17. Once again… “SECURITY” is used solely to control a populous and bolster big corporate interests. Thanks again to our wonderful federal government for protecting us uneducated peasants from our own ignorance. You selflessly save us from natural food, marijuana, various cures to the diseases you cause, radiation panic, constitutional rights, fake terrorists, Bin Laden photos, honest currency, real history, bad language, clean air & water, information, truth, etc, etc… aaahhh, security.

18. mrbunnylamakins

H.R.1830 Weapon Systems Acquisition Reform Act of 2009 ?????

19. Arrest the cows, it’s their fault 😛 I’m glad Ron Paul is sharing this, how stupid is the government….

20. captkirkconnell

Thanks for your work RON PAUL- you remind me of DAVID in David and Goliath.
    Billions are spent to dilute and disburse your messages. A dollar spent by your campaing will require the Enemies of the Constitution to spend $160.00 to nullify your messages.