Ron Paul’s Debt Ceiling Warning

Date: 05/26/2011

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: debtceiling). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

Fox News Anchor: You can get used to that music, can’t you? Ron Paul (R—TX) has a warning about raising the Debt Ceiling. He’s running for the White House, and he’s warning House Republicans not to cave in from pressure on the Left, and this $14 Trillion figure is not going in the right direction for anyone. He’s also running for the White House, as I mentioned. He’s with me now. Congressman Ron Paul, how are you doing, sir? Good morning to you.

Ron Paul: Doing well. Thank you.

Fox News Anchor: You had some pretty stern words toward your colleagues. What’s wrong with raising the Debt Ceiling for a short period of time?

Ron Paul: I think, “for a short period of time”: that’s the problem. I think it will only encourage spending. We’ve been raising the debt limit for quite a few years. I was concerned about too much spending back in the 1970’s. So you know what I’m concerned about now, because I thought in the 1970’s this would continue, and we’d wind up in a financial crisis. And we’re in the middle of that. So to continue the process is just like driving yourself into a cliff.

Fox News Anchor: But do you have any information that would suggest the Debt Ceiling would not be hiked at some point very soon?

Ron Paul: No. You know, I—

Fox News Anchor: So, it’s going to happen then, you think?

Ron Paul: I think it’s like the C.R., down to the wire, to the last second. I think it will be raised. So our problems won’t be solved; that means that— See, the two things that permit the Congress to spend will be raising the debt limit, and, not even thinking about or addressing the subject that if we have too much debt the Fed can monetize it. Those are the two big problems. And I object to both.

Fox News Anchor: Well, what? If you trim the spending, would you give a little on that? Or are you going to hold firm on your position?

Ron Paul: Oh I wouldn’t—I don’t believe in those kind of deals, because you know—let’s say they raise the debt limit and they promise to cut so-much in the next five years. The only budget that counts is this year. They can’t predict revenues for next year; they can’t predict unemployment; they don’t know what interest rates will be. So it’s all up for grabs. So to say, “Oh, in a year from now we’re going to cut spending,” I don’t believe that.

Fox News Anchor: The reason I asked you that is because you voted against Paul Ryan’s plan, his budget, which a big part of it was trimming Medicare. According to him, he could save about $6 Trillion dollars over ten years. Why wasn’t that good enough to support?

Ron Paul: Well, you know, I gave him a lot of credit for at least addressing it. And I think he gets a bum rap when they paint him as “destroying Medicare” when he doesn’t even touch anybody 55 and over, and he makes an honest effort to make a proposal. But you know, when you looked at the deficit five or ten years out, his deficit was only slightly better than the Democrats’ and the President’s deficit. So, and like I said, it doesn’t really count. The other thing I said—

Fox News Anchor: I think the phrase you used was “rather feeble,” talking about that. By what way? Was he not taking out big enough bites for you, or not?

Ron Paul: Well, I don’t think it was in the right place. See, I think we should take a look at the military-industrial complex. I think we should look at the empire, because that’s unsustainable, too. And there’s a growing concern about that. And right now we’re voting on the DOD [Dept. of Defense] budget, and there’s a strong sentiment to say, “You know, enough is enough. It’s time that we start coming home.” So I want people to look at the entire budget. But I like the position of being able to opt out. The Republicans are right when they were screaming about Obamacare: “We want the right to opt out!” I do! I want the People’s right to opt out, and do our best to cut back elsewhere, and try not to throw anybody out in the street. But as long as we do nothing, everybody’s going to thrown out in the street, because we’re going to have a dollar crisis. And that is much worse than anything we have faced here in the last 20 or 30 years.

Fox News Anchor: Gallop comes out with a poll, just today in fact, that has you running with about 10% support right now in the Republican field. [Graphic: “Possible GOP Candidates”: Mitt Romney 17%, Sarah Palin 15%, Ron Paul 10%, Newt Gingrich 9%.] There’s your top four; you’re ranking #3. You made a comment just this week about Mike Huckabee dropping out in Iowa. You think that “favors you”? And then you said, “Over the past four years, things have changed in a significant way… and people are more enthusiastic.” In what way do you sense that?

Ron Paul: Wow. Well, in everything that I’ve been talking about—the financial crisises [sic] here, it wasn’t admitted to in 2007 and 2008, and now everybody knows it’s here; they talk about the Federal Reserve; they’re talking about foreign policy; and they’re talking about the serious nature of what we’re facing. But the receptions are different. The crowds are larger and more exciting, and with Huckabee out of the race there’s a lot of good Conservatives there that want to stick to their guns and cut spending. So yes, every place I go, the atmosphere has changed. That doesn’t mean that everything is going to be “smooth sailing” and it’s not a big job for me. But, I know what’s ahead, but I do know that the sentiment in this country has changed dramatically in the last four years.

Fox News Anchor: The last time we talked—I think it was two weeks ago—you said that you were talking about this for decades, and now people are coming around to your kind of thinking. So, we’ll see whether that carries you through in Iowa. Thank you, sir. We’ll talk again real soon. Ron Paul, the Congressman out of Texas.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

1. penguinking99zero

This news host is a dick.

2. Watch my video. Simple, short, funny but desperately obvious.
    "DebtCeiling ClownHostage"

3. Also see: " Debt Ceiling Explained " by: " thedevilsmetalblog " on YouTube...

4. Who is this obnoxious little FIX NEWS know it NOTHING... talking over Ron, like a five year old? Gallop's polling (of FOX legions?) shows wackos Palin & Romney AHEAD of Dr. Paul, eh?? LOL... If the Sheeple are that IGNORANT then perhaps they deserve what's now clearly well onto the radar???

5. Can't you see? Don't you get it?
    Ron Paul spelled backward is Laup Nor.
    That's right - he's a Klingon.
    He's come to mush your brains with an idiotic simplistic circular philosophy.
    He's doing it so that when the Klingons takeover - they can round up the idiots that believed him and destroy them - thereby thinning the herd of genetically inferior humanoids.

6. give me my check mo money. man ma man man give me the working man's dollar. i'm going to buy my stuff at the jewish supply store. raise taxes on everything man ma man man. .

7. Let the man answer the god dam question you fuckin retard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. MoltenMozzarella

americans need a credit card to buy a pack of gum. ROFLMAO

9. One word for Obama's lying when he said there is "no guarantee" that social security checks will go out on August 2nd: pathetic. "Social Security has a trust fund," Forbes magazine points out, "and that trust fund is supposed to have $2.6 trillion in it, according to the... trustees." (A fact verified by President Obama's own budget director). "If there are real assets in the trust fund, then Social Security can mail the checks, regardless of what Congress does about the debt limit."

10. Raising the debt ceiling on the United Stated is like giving your teenage daughter a shiny new credit card. I can't believe they are even considering this given the situation. The United States is the largest consumer nation in the world, they will not stop consuming. These people are digging themselves into a hole they will never get out of.

11. How come every time Ron Paul is interview by some one from the media he is given an attitude and rudely interrupted?I don't know if anyone else notices this but to me it is pretty clear. Such a shame people are not interested in listening to a wise man anymore.

12. SirWinstoneChurchill

YOU CANNOT REDUCE THE DEBT BY INCREASING THE DEBT.

QE1 = fail

QE2 = fail

QE3 = ?

The Idiot Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke is ready for a third round of quantitative easing... AND WE ARE IN THE THIRD SUMMER OF RECOVERY???

13. of course they will raise the debt ceiling. all this negotiations is just posturing. moodys who cares they have no credibility after 2008. of course the federal reserve will create the same fear mongering that led to the bailout of the banks that created the mess in the firstplace

14. Eric Cantor is an obvious homo-sexual. This will come out. He looks gay. He talks gay. He is gay. But I digress. Stand strong Mr. President against these vicious right-wing liars. This lying filth that raised the depth ceiling multiple times under President Bush, drove up the deficit with an outrageous doubling of the Defense budget and two unnecessary wars, and whorish tax cuts for the rich. Kick this gay Republicans ass Mr. President. Mr. Cantor likes his ass packed so give him some foot.

15. democratsaresmart

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA , WAKE UP! REAGAN OPENED SOVIET UNION BORDERS, NOW RUSSIA IS BECOMING CAPITALISTIC COUNTRY. REPUBLICANS CREATED EUROS, THEY FOCUSED ON LEWINSKY DRESS INSTEAD OF FOCUSING ON US DOLLAR, EUROPE GATHERED AND CREATED EUROS. BUSH DESTROYED TWIN TOWERS, WE ARE IN ECONOMICAL MESS THANKS TO REPUBLICANS. WAKE UP USA, I KNOW YOU HAVE JOBS AND FAMILIES, BUT THIS IS OUR FUTURE! BUSH KILLED 3000 AMERICANS ON 9/11, HE WAS DRINKING IN OFFICE. EUROS PUT US DOLLAR DOWN, WAKE UP PEOPLE!

16. Jesus Christ, just get the ceiling raised. And If Ron Paul is the champion of the constitution, he must not know about the 14th amendment.

17. ron paul is a hardline fool who i used to respect, but he does not live in reality. he would rather see our country default on its obligations and our credit rating trimmed. he would rather see a deep deep recession than come up with a compromised deal cutting spending and increasing revenue on millionaires. all of you on here who worship ron paul are completely demented too.

18. ObsenityofAtomicTech

Nothing to come home to, if the troups get cut loose they will come home and cut the powers that be loose is the fear. They keep them over there to keep them out of here. The bestest, the brightest, the young strong demanding people they want out on a wild goose chase, the powers that be want for them all. At home they might want to fix things for just get drunk and overflow the prisons.

19. that anchor better never be in arms reach of me or his teeth will hit the wall because I would slap the tarter sauce right out of his putrid mouth what a dick fuck!! GO RON PAUL!!

20. I like Ron Paul. Down to earth.