Ron Paul: End Obamacare, Abolish the IRS, Eliminate Support for Big Government

Date: 06/08/2011

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: obamacare). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

David Asman Now, one man who has warned us about all of this is running for president to change all of this, and he joins us now. That is Congressman Ron Paul. Congressman, that’s what scares me the most about ObamaCare; it does increase the coercive power of the Fed. Is that what worries you the most?

Ron Paul: Oh, there’s no doubt about it. But yes, that’s the main thing, but I know the consequence of allowing governments to do that to coerce us into programs like this. It diminishes the quality, that means that you can expect, and you already mentioned that Doctors are quitting and fewer will want to go in. So the quality of healthcare, if that’s the goal, they destroy everything. They destroyed our freedoms of choice, it costs a lot more, and it destroys the quality. And they still argue that they are the humanitarians; that’s what gulls me, the fact that they take the moral high ground. And then we, who believe in freedom and liberty and good quality care and know how to get prices down, they paint us as uncaring. That’s the subject we have to address.

David Asman By the way, for those who don’t know, this man is also a medical doctor. He’s not only a congressman. Would you go in to medicine again today if you were just starting out, knowing that we may be moving towards socialized medicine?

Ron Paul: Well, I thought we were moving in that direction even a long time ago, and we were. And of course, when I got out of medical school we did not have medicare and medicade. But I stayed in medicine and I dealt with this by not participating in the programs. But now you don’t have much choices. Now I have three of my children who have become physicians. I need to discourage them, because they went into medicine for the right reasons. So it’s a shame to want to be a doctor and help your fellow man, at the same time you have to be putting up with the bureaucracy and authoritarianism and undermining the very quality practice that you want to participate in. So, to me, it’s a real tragedy.

David Asman And, you know, people do have vocations, obviously to become a doctor. It’s not just about money but you don’t want to spend your life fighting a bureaucracy instead of fighting to save lives. That’s why a lot of people are turning away from medicine.

Ron Paul: Yea, it is. But to not discourage people too much, but I agree with you a 100%. But the federal government is bearing down on all of us everywhere on everything that we do. What if you wanted to be a quality school teacher and have a little bit of creativity. What do you have to do? You end up spending all your time teaching ‘no child left behind’. So we’re all in this together. As a matter of fact, I stayed off the committees that dealt with medical problems purposely, because I didn’t want people to think I went there to make sure the government stayed out of medicine. Because I think it’s a principle of liberty that affects all of us, whether it’s medicine or education or business. We know all about the regulations and monetary systems. So if you’re an honest broker, it’s pretty though trying to figure out what the government’s going to do.

David Asman By the way, to your point about education, I was teaching in the late 1970s, just a couple of months really after the implementation of the Department of Education. Even then, we were being forced to use teaching methods that, all of the teachers agree, weren’t working. But we had to use them just so they we could the federal grants from the Department of Education. So even way back 30 years ago, the Department of Education was standing in the way of good education. Okay, let’s talk about some of the coercive powers that the government now has, and how we might change it, how you might change it, or how you would like to change it if you become president. First of all, the IRS. I for getting rid of the whole damn institution. What about you?

Ron Paul: I’m with you, and I have something I’ve introduced over the many years, it’s called the Liberty Amendment. It gets rid of the 16th Amendment, it gets rid of the IRS. But it also prohibits that after three years the federal government can’t participate in anything that is designed for the private sector to take care, and it’s not authorized in the constitution. Because you can’t really expect to solve our problem of the IRS and heavy taxation unless we change the appetite of the people for big government. You know, the big argument now is how many people want entitlements and how many people want to quit paying for the entitlements. Right now there are still a lot of people who are lining up for their entitlements. Entitlements now are considered rights by nearly half of the people.

David Asman So let me just make sure I understand. So you’re saying before we put forth getting rid of the IRS, we have to convince the American public, those who have become accustomed to government help, that they shouldn’t get government help.

Ron Paul: No, I think you do them together. It’s just that if you and I had a program where we’re just going to get rid of the income tax, and we don’t cut spending and cut the appetite for big government, it’s not going to happen. They say we did get rid of the income tax and they put a sales tax on us of 35% or 40% that won’t solve our problems. It’s the appetite for money coming from us that makes the big difference. And I think in the long term, the people in this country have to ask the question, “What should the role of government be?” And, for me, it’s to defend liberty and not to run a welfare state and not to police the world.

David Asman You know, a lot of those questions, though … I’ve seen all those questionnaires you’re talking about, the polls saying that essentially Americans are too stuck on what they get from the government to get rid of it. But very often it’s the way you ask the question. If you had a choice between no income tax or no IRS and some of the benefits that you’re not getting from government, I bet people would choose no IRS. I mean, maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I think.

Ron Paul: You know, I think it might be right, and one angle that I’ve tried in some of my speeches is to say that everybody tells you that you now have to sacrifice for us to get back on our feet again. And I keep thinking, what if we got rid of the income tax and you got to keep everything and deregulate the economy and change the whole system? I don’t think a lot of people would feel like they’re sacrificing, they’d feel like a burden is off their shoulders, so they’ll say, “Wow, this sounds pretty good”. So the only people who would have to sacrifice are the ones who are living off their neighbor or living off somebody else who has work for a living.

David Asman Dr. Paul, we’re almost out of time, but I just got to ask one question about the debt ceiling. If the vote is not made to increase the debt ceiling, what goes first when we run out of money? What goes first, our payment to our bond holders or our creditors, or spending? What do you think will be cut first?

Ron Paul: Well, I don’t think they’ll cut the payments to the bond holders. And I’m predicting they’re going to raise the debt limit because they’re going to drum up enough fear that everybody will have to capitulate, and then there will be a pretence they’re going to cut spending. But let’s say it doesn’t happen. I think they can just say, they could make an announcement, “We’re going to reassure the bond holders and we’re going to pay you first”. Which means that they’re going to have to short change somebody else, and that’s when it’s going to be tough. And that’s the reason why I don’t think it’s going to happen, and I don’t think they’re ready to cut and I personally won’t vote for the debt increase, even if there are promises that 5 to 10 years out we’re going to be serious and cut the deficit. I’ve heard too many of those promises, you have to cut it now. The only budget that counts is this year, and this year our obligation is going to go up 5 trillion dollars when you add up everything.

David Asman Yea, don’t trust these promises, they don’t amount to much. Dr. Paul, it’s great to see you again. Thank you for being here, I appreciate it.

1. Ron Paul is crazier than a sprayed roach...

2. I cashed 401K last year, and went to IRS for assistance. A secretary, says, did you make 30K last year? I said no, I made less than 10K. What’s this? Did you sell shares? I said, Yes (guys and young women with babies looking at me, probebly they thought I was a millinior).She leaves her desk and 2 minutues later she comes back with my papers and says, this is a lot of scope. we can’t help you. Why I am not eligible for IRS service? I pay taxes. I guess IRS is a welfare house, get rid of it.

3. Good luck to all of you who believe every word Ron Paul says. Good luck when he abolishes income taxes and you have no government benefits like when you get laid off your job and have zero unemployment benefits while you're desperately trying to find another job. Good luck to you when you grow older and have zero social security. Good luck to you when you grow old and get sick and dont even have medical to help you.

4. This is two people with the same opinion talking about an issue. Ron Paul is a former doctor and has the same mentality as most doctors which is I went to school for a long time and I should get paid a ton of money without the government interfering at all. I have a PPO with a good company so I should be receiving this great care he talks about but all I find are crooked doctors who want to see me for a few minutes, hand me pain killers and then charge the insurance a huge sum of money.

5. The most logical way to explain why the constitution was made the way it was and why it applies even now is this, each State is different so different rules apply with regard to education, energy, Agricultural, security etc. The needs in Alaska are different than Texas which are different than New York. Let the States run themselves and Have the Feds, protect through communication with the States. Show the feds for what they are, in the way, let the States run their own houses.

6. According to the figures, it is Norway that has the best healthcare system as evidence by the amount the GDP spends on healthcare and the numbers of people suffering from long term/chronic illnesses. Both of which are lower than any other country. Measure that!

• You are absolutely right!
      The U.S. does not have the best health care in the world. Not even close!
      If you're wealthy or in government, you may have excellent health care. Not the average working man.
      The problem with "for profit" health care American style is that it sacrifices lives for the almighty dollar! The biggest contradiction on the subject is "for profit" vs. care for the patient. The HMOs have no problem with boosting profits,giving CEOs huge bonuses and denying care. If that's the "best health care in the world" we live in a crappy world!!

And on the subject of "entitlements" I have an idea.
      And I know that Dr. Paul has not taken a raise in Congress.
      My idea on cutting entitlements is simple and sensible. Cut government pension entitlements for Senators and Congresspersons. Cut health care coverage for all former presidents, and yes, that would include Dick Cheney. He's a high risk! Why should my tax dollars go for covering his poor health? Is it my fault he has a heart condition?
      Cut all of these entitlements, security for former presidents could be eliminated also. Why not cut the pay for these corporate-owned clowns? They get an automatic raise? C'mon! These guys should be giving money back!
      All of this talk about "entitlements" is a load of crap!
      I'll give Dr. Paul credit, he has some credibility on the issue from his actions.

7. Never choose because you feel your are forced. There is a falicy to the "lessor of two evils" as stated by Sydney Carton in Politics 2008."The problem with this statement is that it conflicts directly with the nature and reality of living in a Democracy... opting out merely means that the rest of of the nation gets to make the choice for you and listen to you complain about it for the next four years". It's time to stop complaining with a defeatist attitude and do all we can to promote the candidate that closely defends our own convictions. hopes and believes. Don't give up! I implore you to stay on task and promote democracy one vote at a time.

8. He's too conservative for democrats, he's too real for republicans... we are forced to choose between the lesser of two evils while a quality cantidate sits at the bottom of the barrel

9. ICantDecryptTheCode

Obama wins, ron paul fails.
    typical story.

10. France has best health care in the World. single payer. Screww this ideology that is based in fantasy. Living off their neighbor, my ass. Millions of workers working at mcDonald wages are making a few people billionaires while they subsidize these empires with their health and lives because the wages are low and there are no bennies which is SOP in America. Justified by contempt of lower classes by so-called righteous arguments like these.

11. France has best health care in the World. single payer. Screww this ideology that is based in fantasy. Living off their neighbor, my ass. Millions of workers working at mcDonald wages are making a few people billionaires while they subsidize these empires with their health and lives because the wages are low and there are no bennies which is SOP in America. Justified by contempt of lower classes by so-called righteous arguments like these.

12. Single Payer. Screw elite controlled health care monopolies that decide who lives and dies. Screw that. Survival of the fittest even if you get poisoned to death by the protected toddler elite in their inhumane unchecked deregulated polluting or worked in unsafe working conditions in deregulated businesses.

13. Single Payer. Screw elite controlled health care monopolies that decide who lives and dies. Screw that. Survival of the fittest even if you get poisoned to death by the protected toddler elite in their inhumane unchecked deregulated polluting or worked in unsafe working conditions in deregulated businesses.

14. Single Payer. Screw elite controlled health care monopolies that decide who lives and dies. Screw that.

15. Single Payer. Screw elite controlled health care monopolies that decide who lives and dies. Screw that.

16. As much as I like Ron Paul and I really hope he comes out on top. Without US getting out and helping him his efforts will fall short. We need to stand up for our selves and star acting like this country belongs to us and not to the banks or some suit in a office. Obama had the nation suckered. Im not saying Ron is the same but just in case we should be ready to take back our country and stop waiting on someone to do it for us...

17. epic! EPIC!!!

18. I think two things need to be done. Get as much people as possible to support Ron Paul and then if he isn't the republican nominee for the 2012 elections write in his name anyways.

19. Ron paul is what I thought Odumass was. Boy was I wrong

20. Well it's the truth. Your music is lame. Wow, it looks like I beat the CAPSLOCK out of you. I really don't think you can handle the real issues. Your probably one of those crazy tin foil hat 9/11 Truthers anyway.