304 Responses

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: peace). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

Fox News: Well, America’s Asking, and you guys are all over our chat today. We’re putting your questions to the Presidential candidates including—starting with a question about national debt. Today the headline is this: A new report from the Congressional Budget Office has some very sobering news for really every single one of us, including projections that government spending, as a share of our economy will increase by nearly 70% by 2035. Historically it’s around 20%. That’s a big jump. Republican Congressman and Presidential Candidate Ron Paul (R-TX) is joining us to take some of your questions. Congressman, let’s start off with the headline, though, and get your thoughts on this. If you were elected President, what is the #1 thing you would do to help fix the economy?

Ron Paul: Well, the #1 thing that I can do, without going through the congressional process, as the President—the President has the authority over foreign policy more than anything else. So indirectly he can help the economy by bringing our troops home and stop spending some of this money that we spend maintaining our empire. And that would be a big help. But if you are talking “directly with the economy,” you have to address monetary policy and tax policy and spending policy. We have to change the attitude of the People on what they believe the government should be doing. We cannot run the programs that we have today, believing that the government can take care of us from cradle to grave, the welfare state; nor can we endorse the principle of the warfare state where we have endless wars. Until we look at those major problems, you can’t really improve the economy.

Fox News: All right, so I’ll take the welfare state and then the warfare state, and we have good questions on both. Let’s start with the welfare state. Keith Baldwin had this question on our chat. He said, “Dr. Paul, you come off to many as radical, and therefore can get marginalized. How do you plan to address Social Security and Medicare without scaring off voters?”

Ron Paul: Well, in a very practical way, I’ve never voted to spend one penny out of Medicare or Medicaid, because I don’t vote for the appropriation bills. So if we are going to pretend and try to make these programs solvent, you cannot spend any of that money in the general revenue. And I also have bills that would make it illegal to do that. And the other part of the program—though I don’t believe in the entitlement system, I do believe in priorities. So saving hundreds of billions of dollars from overseas and the Department of Education and the Department of Energy and many other things; you can cut in those areas and tide the People over, whether it’s their medical benefits or Social Security, because there is no money there! And I believe there is a transition, but unfortunately, you can’t get a consensus, because some who care about fiscal conservatism don’t believe that should apply to the militarism around the world. But it is conceivable, if you can get the People to endorse these ideas and force Congress into doing it.

Fox News: But let’s talk a little bit about that, because you’re talking about shifting, as you mentioned, some funds here, and you mentioned the overseas factor. Sean on twitter was talking to me a little bit about this interview with you, and he said he wanted to ask you about—beyond Afghanistan, what’s your stance about closing or maintaining military bases around the world? Are there particular areas that you specifically already know that you’d like to close the bases that we have.

Ron Paul: Yeah. All of them. Just come home.

Fox News: All of them?

Ron Paul: Yeah. Why are we in Korea? We’ve been there since I’ve been in high school. Why are we in Japan? We’ve been there since World War II. Why are we in Germany, subsidizing their welfare state by paying for their defense by staying in Germany? And why are we in five wars in the Middle East? We’d be much better off. We are less safe because of this. We’re going broke. And it undermines our national security. So why stay any of those places? There’s no economic or military advantage for us to be so involved, trying to make other people live the way we do. If we have—

Fox News: Well, yeah, but some would say, Congressman, that there’s a difference in being defensive or being offensive, when it comes to protecting our country. Some believe that we can more defensive, and when there’s a threat we can defend against it. Others believe that we should be offensive, which is part of the reason why there are some military bases overseas, so that we’re “leading” in those areas.

Ron Paul: Right!

Fox News: Why do you believe that that’s not the way to go?

Ron Paul: Because that’s the way dictators work. To say it casually that we should consider being offensive, that’s what dictators do. This whole idea that was encapsulated with the last administration that “we endorse preventive war, pre-emptive war; we go to war to prevent somebody from attacking us,” that is endless war—and for casual reasons, without declaration. I think that is so dangerous. We should have a defense; we should defend our country. But when you talk about bases because we might need an offensive war, I consider that absolutely un-American.

Fox News: On the issue of past administration and the current administration, we have a comment coming from G.C., and he would like to know: If you could debate the President on any topic, what would it be and why?

Ron Paul: Well, there are too many good ones. But I would start with foreign policy: Why did he say he would start bringing troops home, and instead immediately increased our troops? So foreign policy overall. He’s—both administrations were very much the same, so I would challenge him on that. But how could I avoid wanting to challenge him on monetary policy, printing money—when we need money, just print it?—deficits, running up deficits, the whole economic program is so outlandish that it’s led to this deficit crisis. And unless we deal with that, nothing is going to happen; things are just going to get that much worse. So whether it’s economic policy or foreign policy, it’s all the same. It’s the size of government. Why not shrink the size of government and follow our Constitution?

Fox News: Congressman, you’re giving this another shot, this run for President. There are, of course, folks that are already in the race and potential candidates, such as the governor of your state of Texas here. Curious: who do you view as your greatest competition, and why do you believe this time is the time for you to jump into this race again?

Ron Paul: Well, the country has moved in my direction, because I’ve been talking about these things for a lot of years. And the financial bubble that so many of us worried about did collapse, and now we’re going to move into inflation and a monetary crisis. All these events, people are sick and tired of the groping at airports and endless wars. So everything is moving in the direction of protecting our civil liberties. Now, as far as who do I see as the greatest threat, I put them all in one category. I think they all fit in the category of promoting the status quo. They don’t challenge the foreign policy; they don’t challenge the Federal Reserve system; they don’t really challenge the deficit. If they did, and they cared, we wouldn’t have these kind of deficits. So I would say there’s no one individual that I sense as my #1 challenger. I think they’re lumped together, and for my benefit they’re all going to divide the Establishment vote up, and we’ll do quite well.

Fox News: Well, I’m sure they have their thoughts about that, as well, and that’s why we’re inviting all of them to come on with the Town Hall. Real quick, there’s a rumor on our chat that you could be tapping Judge Naplitano of Fox News as your Vice Presidential candidate. Is there any truth to that?

Ron Paul: Well, not so, because that’d have to be a little bit premature. But I do have to admit, somebody caught me off-guard and said, “What kind of people—who would you ever suggest to work with you and run as a Vice President candidate?” And I really admire Judge Napolitano, so I mentioned him. But I didn’t even confide in him, which is probably illegal or something: You don’t promise jobs. But I think he would good in any administration; I think he’d be grand on the Supreme Court

Fox News: I had no—John, did you know Congressman Paul was such a fan of Judge Napolitano? I had no idea! [To Ron Paul]: Well, you learn something new everyday, Congressman. We’ll pass that along. I’m sure he’ll be interested to hear that, and we appreciate you joining us on the chat, and our viewers do, as well. I’ll look forward to having back, sir. Thank you.

Processing your request, Please wait....

304 responses to “Ron Paul: Offensive War Is Un-American! Close All U.S. Military Bases around the World!”

1. adamhaye

Moving those troops home would not harm our allies. What it would do is stop the propping up of our allies by essentially paying for their defense. Someone mentioned to me recently how “In Europe those countries have an easier life, they work less….etc”. I also mentioned how that’s possible by our subsidizing of their defense. We are still allies with these countries, if attacked we go fight with them and win, but then we come back home. There’s no reason to have standing armies there.

2. Jim

Anybody that thinks the current path we are on, the globalist plan, is the right one, needs to look at this.

Bear in mind, there are currently approx 6 billion people in the world now. Pay particular attention to the first rule.

Do the math. Will you be one of the approx 5 percent that get to live?

3. sos

I am (was) a progressive democrat and need to express my sincere gratitude as an American citizen to Congressman Dr. Ron Paul. Thank you so much for standing strong and making your cases heard.
    Congratulations on the recent progress you have made getting your messages out.
    There are people across party lines that have a great deal of respect for you and are looking forward to voting for you. This will be the first time in my life that I will not be voting on the D ticket. Although the “alternative” media progressives still express my concerns… the “public” airwaves are filled with democrat and progressive voices that do not. They are starting to try… almost in panic mode… in some kind of frantic reaction to the President’s poll numbers… making a case too little … too late… to seem sincere and believable. Howard Dean stated recently that there will no way be a challenger or a primary on the D side. That means in reality that the platform condones the policies that are the same and even worse than the George W. Bush policies. Bill Clinton did more damage to our cherished unions in this country than any other single president. NAFTA was shoved down our throats. Progressives told us to vote for him TWICE… the private sector unions have lost their power and they owe most of that fault to BILL CLINTON. The progressives didn’t fight and our union supporters were duped. And now we have President Obama who has shown us who he is.. millions of us have been crushed emotionally and financially. We are watching the moral corruption of our country. The most painful thing to watch is the careless orders to kill other human beings with barely any news coverage. It is absolutely sickening. We are watching our heros being sent on missions again and again and again and again. I watched with hurt for my country when I saw Hillary Clinton on a Sunday morning talk show speak about innocent civilians… she quickly corrected herself to say …” I mean- collateral damage”. This is the type of mindset that has been carelessly created and repeated over and over to our citizens by talking heads from both sides of the isle. I think about the wars every day as I observe this inhumane mindset.
    Much of the time you are a lone voice in the woods about our corrupt banking problem. We have criminals running free with billions of looted dollars of power in their hands to literally purchase more power. You are the only one that brings attention to our horrific prison crisis… the list goes on. The more I research you… the more I admire. Thank you to all of your supporters who kept your messages alive all these years. I am finally hearing it and I hope others are too… on BOTH sides of the isle!

4. BanjonotBenjo

He’s on a roll! Go Ron Go!

5. 1962roadking

How refreshing is Ron Paul?
    Straight talking, uncomplicated and never dodges a question.
    Top marks sir!
    We need politicians like you here in Australia, if you dont get the job in the States come on down under.

6. 1kingconan

the woman interviewing ron is so beautiful! TRUE BEAUTY! RON PAUL 2012!

7. Riddlerx333x

or this guy is just plain retarded

8. Chris I

This is one of the best interviews I’ve seen him do in a while. I get goosebumps when I hear him say “the very first thing I do is extinguish our foreign policy and militaristic expansion, bring home the troops, quit the wars, stop our overseas spending.” I don’t care what people say about left vs. right, liberal vs. conservative, rich vs. poor, black vs. white – cutting off the extensive waste in the Pentagon and the military industrial complex is the only true solution to getting our domestic house in order. People who propose to keep spending on defense the way we have but cut social programs and citizen security initiatives are monsters. That philosophy is not even human. Defense and imperialist spending HAS…..TO……STOP!!!! Ron Paul, Im writing you in no matter what in 2012, and if you don’t win I’m moving the hell out of the US.

9. quiescenz1

ROTFLMAO I thought you might have had something constructive to do say. But thanks for the laugh.

10. mrgeestacksalot

ANDY GETS MY VOTE!!! The Judge has been on point!

11. 61181crm

I cant wait for the day we cut off that dirty little welfare state of Israel!

12. mrgeestacksalot

what a dumb bitch!!!

13. UrinationNation

Ok while I agree with Ron that we shouldn’t have bases around the world, and shouldn’t play colonialist daddy, this kind of behavior is very much American.

14. 61181crm

PS Homeland defender hates Ron Paul Because he wants to stop bankrolling Israels genocide of Palestinians in the massive concentration camp known as the Gaza strip!

15. 61181crm

Anybody who believes the war on terror is an actual a war on terror is a complete and utter idiot,gang bangers,peanuts and cars kill more Americans then terrorist!

16. ZM7241994

Ron Paul is a good man, but I don’t agree with his view on foreign policy. No doubt, some U.S. bases can be shutdown but some are vital to the stability of the regions they’re in.

1. Jason

No their not. I’ve served in most of them. They’re a money making scheme for the host countries. Are you aware that we pay billions in rent for the land our bases occupy? To provide defense for the host country and save their citizens the tax expense? It has nothing to do with our defense, is a complete waste of our resources, and creates constant mayhem for military families. Stability will come when the countries we prop up start carrying their load. We have our own country to save from invasion at the southern border.

17. yourtube20061

the IQ of that dumb blond represents the average IQ of majority of American people.so it wont be a surprise that Obama will be re-elected and the status quo of endless wars, welfare state and printing money out of nowhere will continue for a long time. the only good Ron Paul is doing by running is making his ideas known to more people and thus slowly waking the sheeple up. wonder when the critical mass will be reached to bring some real change.

18. KagarBeardtooth

President: Ron Paul
    VP: Tom Woods
    Secretary of State: Lew Rockwell
    SecDef: Adam Kokesh
    Attorney General: Andrew Napolitano
    Treasury Secretary: Peter Schiff
    Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers: Robert Murphy

Pretty much every other cabinet position would be dismantled along with their respective departments.

19. PikSokolit

If you consider the restoration of personal liberties, sound money and stop bombing half the world as being ‘radical’, then count me in too.

20. john5246

That girl was so sexy

21. gtfkiller

y is there a blonde there?

22. MrWakethesheeple

After all this time in these comments sections you can’t actually believe what you’re saying. Just tell me honestly who is paying you to type your lies.

23. stevemcgee99

I hate ‘interviewers’ like her. She sucks, can even listen to the answers she gets.

24. TrippingTheTube

I’m pretty sure if Ron doesn’t get elected I won’t be getting my SS money back.

25. vierge99

Why shouldn’t we have bases in other countries? Simple. Imagine if China or N. Korea had bases in Canada or N/S America. We wouldn’t like that too much. Let’s get rid of overseas bases and strengthen the force within the US

26. TheHomelandDefender

Ron Paul is a straight up isolationist liberal lunatic who doesn’t believe in peace thru strength foreign policy of pre-emptive war.

1. Chris I

Dude, you are incompetent. Look up the difference between “isolationism” and “interventionism.” Then, and only then, may you be allowed to re-post once you have gained some intellect of Paul’s policy stance.

Ron Paul doesn’t believe in peace? WTF?

Oh, and stop watching Fox News for all your opinions. It really shows when you open your fingers to type.

27. freemanx2x

This video should have at least 30 million views to even hope for any positive results… The majority still “feed” from the mainstream media and have no ideea who is Dr. Ron Paul…What can We do to spread the word to the world more efficiently?

28. komarevo

Peter Schiff as vice president!

29. KaptKan1

The bimbo “interviewer” is very pretty, but dumber than shoe leather. The mainstream media are so insipid.

30. SOSnUSA

Ron Paul is radical, If you consider almost all politician and media are bought and paid for. OWNED and controlled to achieve a global agenda. America is not the priority if it was Ron Paul would be the norm, not the radical.

31. Probuilt7

Ron Paul is radical? HELLO, it’s about time for someone radical ! !! ! ! ! ! !

32. TacticalCitySlicker

Anchor: “I had no idea…”
    Yeah.. who would have guessed that Ron and the Judge are friends… He’s only on his show damn near every week…
    But, of course you don’t watch that because they don’t talk about puppies and Justin Biber…

33. paindrain

Stupid Reporters, “i’ll pass that along” to just Judge Napalitano (the admiration from Paul), She works on the fucking network and doesnt know shit of their relationship, Nice one Fox, this one wont be lambasted in public though…

34. RapsAlive

At 1:35 it almost seems he’s happy she didn’t do something nasty right after he spoke like most anchors.

35. SpringChatty

yeah, we could REALLY use all those soldiers here .