304 Responses

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: peace). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

Fox News: Well, America’s Asking, and you guys are all over our chat today. We’re putting your questions to the Presidential candidates including—starting with a question about national debt. Today the headline is this: A new report from the Congressional Budget Office has some very sobering news for really every single one of us, including projections that government spending, as a share of our economy will increase by nearly 70% by 2035. Historically it’s around 20%. That’s a big jump. Republican Congressman and Presidential Candidate Ron Paul (R-TX) is joining us to take some of your questions. Congressman, let’s start off with the headline, though, and get your thoughts on this. If you were elected President, what is the #1 thing you would do to help fix the economy?

Ron Paul: Well, the #1 thing that I can do, without going through the congressional process, as the President—the President has the authority over foreign policy more than anything else. So indirectly he can help the economy by bringing our troops home and stop spending some of this money that we spend maintaining our empire. And that would be a big help. But if you are talking “directly with the economy,” you have to address monetary policy and tax policy and spending policy. We have to change the attitude of the People on what they believe the government should be doing. We cannot run the programs that we have today, believing that the government can take care of us from cradle to grave, the welfare state; nor can we endorse the principle of the warfare state where we have endless wars. Until we look at those major problems, you can’t really improve the economy.

Fox News: All right, so I’ll take the welfare state and then the warfare state, and we have good questions on both. Let’s start with the welfare state. Keith Baldwin had this question on our chat. He said, “Dr. Paul, you come off to many as radical, and therefore can get marginalized. How do you plan to address Social Security and Medicare without scaring off voters?”

Ron Paul: Well, in a very practical way, I’ve never voted to spend one penny out of Medicare or Medicaid, because I don’t vote for the appropriation bills. So if we are going to pretend and try to make these programs solvent, you cannot spend any of that money in the general revenue. And I also have bills that would make it illegal to do that. And the other part of the program—though I don’t believe in the entitlement system, I do believe in priorities. So saving hundreds of billions of dollars from overseas and the Department of Education and the Department of Energy and many other things; you can cut in those areas and tide the People over, whether it’s their medical benefits or Social Security, because there is no money there! And I believe there is a transition, but unfortunately, you can’t get a consensus, because some who care about fiscal conservatism don’t believe that should apply to the militarism around the world. But it is conceivable, if you can get the People to endorse these ideas and force Congress into doing it.

Fox News: But let’s talk a little bit about that, because you’re talking about shifting, as you mentioned, some funds here, and you mentioned the overseas factor. Sean on twitter was talking to me a little bit about this interview with you, and he said he wanted to ask you about—beyond Afghanistan, what’s your stance about closing or maintaining military bases around the world? Are there particular areas that you specifically already know that you’d like to close the bases that we have.

Ron Paul: Yeah. All of them. Just come home.

Fox News: All of them?

Ron Paul: Yeah. Why are we in Korea? We’ve been there since I’ve been in high school. Why are we in Japan? We’ve been there since World War II. Why are we in Germany, subsidizing their welfare state by paying for their defense by staying in Germany? And why are we in five wars in the Middle East? We’d be much better off. We are less safe because of this. We’re going broke. And it undermines our national security. So why stay any of those places? There’s no economic or military advantage for us to be so involved, trying to make other people live the way we do. If we have—

Fox News: Well, yeah, but some would say, Congressman, that there’s a difference in being defensive or being offensive, when it comes to protecting our country. Some believe that we can more defensive, and when there’s a threat we can defend against it. Others believe that we should be offensive, which is part of the reason why there are some military bases overseas, so that we’re “leading” in those areas.

Ron Paul: Right!

Fox News: Why do you believe that that’s not the way to go?

Ron Paul: Because that’s the way dictators work. To say it casually that we should consider being offensive, that’s what dictators do. This whole idea that was encapsulated with the last administration that “we endorse preventive war, pre-emptive war; we go to war to prevent somebody from attacking us,” that is endless war—and for casual reasons, without declaration. I think that is so dangerous. We should have a defense; we should defend our country. But when you talk about bases because we might need an offensive war, I consider that absolutely un-American.

Fox News: On the issue of past administration and the current administration, we have a comment coming from G.C., and he would like to know: If you could debate the President on any topic, what would it be and why?

Ron Paul: Well, there are too many good ones. But I would start with foreign policy: Why did he say he would start bringing troops home, and instead immediately increased our troops? So foreign policy overall. He’s—both administrations were very much the same, so I would challenge him on that. But how could I avoid wanting to challenge him on monetary policy, printing money—when we need money, just print it?—deficits, running up deficits, the whole economic program is so outlandish that it’s led to this deficit crisis. And unless we deal with that, nothing is going to happen; things are just going to get that much worse. So whether it’s economic policy or foreign policy, it’s all the same. It’s the size of government. Why not shrink the size of government and follow our Constitution?

Fox News: Congressman, you’re giving this another shot, this run for President. There are, of course, folks that are already in the race and potential candidates, such as the governor of your state of Texas here. Curious: who do you view as your greatest competition, and why do you believe this time is the time for you to jump into this race again?

Ron Paul: Well, the country has moved in my direction, because I’ve been talking about these things for a lot of years. And the financial bubble that so many of us worried about did collapse, and now we’re going to move into inflation and a monetary crisis. All these events, people are sick and tired of the groping at airports and endless wars. So everything is moving in the direction of protecting our civil liberties. Now, as far as who do I see as the greatest threat, I put them all in one category. I think they all fit in the category of promoting the status quo. They don’t challenge the foreign policy; they don’t challenge the Federal Reserve system; they don’t really challenge the deficit. If they did, and they cared, we wouldn’t have these kind of deficits. So I would say there’s no one individual that I sense as my #1 challenger. I think they’re lumped together, and for my benefit they’re all going to divide the Establishment vote up, and we’ll do quite well.

Fox News: Well, I’m sure they have their thoughts about that, as well, and that’s why we’re inviting all of them to come on with the Town Hall. Real quick, there’s a rumor on our chat that you could be tapping Judge Naplitano of Fox News as your Vice Presidential candidate. Is there any truth to that?

Ron Paul: Well, not so, because that’d have to be a little bit premature. But I do have to admit, somebody caught me off-guard and said, “What kind of people—who would you ever suggest to work with you and run as a Vice President candidate?” And I really admire Judge Napolitano, so I mentioned him. But I didn’t even confide in him, which is probably illegal or something: You don’t promise jobs. But I think he would good in any administration; I think he’d be grand on the Supreme Court

Fox News: I had no—John, did you know Congressman Paul was such a fan of Judge Napolitano? I had no idea! [To Ron Paul]: Well, you learn something new everyday, Congressman. We’ll pass that along. I’m sure he’ll be interested to hear that, and we appreciate you joining us on the chat, and our viewers do, as well. I’ll look forward to having back, sir. Thank you.

Processing your request, Please wait....

304 responses to “Ron Paul: Offensive War Is Un-American! Close All U.S. Military Bases around the World!”

1. bossrube53

ronpaul2012 . com to support ron paul for president in 2012. donate now

2. Gu77ed

Ok, can someone explain something to me?
    I am looking for comments from Ron about why he voted against cutting off funding for the Libyan debacle.
    He and Bachmann both voted nay on H R 2278 “To limit the use of funds appropriated to the Department of Defense for United States Armed Forces in support of North Atlantic Treaty Organization Operation Unified Protector with respect to Libya, unless otherwise specifically authorized by law”
    which puts them among such lovely Americans as Pelosi, Rangel and Waxman…

What is the reasoning for someone (RP) who wants to withdraw from every where as a good way to save money, essentially give Obama the ability to keep waging an illegal war?

1. Gu77ed

I have figured it out:

The bill did not cut funding, it provides limited funding, which is a implicit endorsement of Obama for a "limited funding" war. If it had passed, the House would have no legal remedies in the future as they "endorsed him" with limited funding.
      It is complicated, but very devious by whoever wrote the bill...
      And kudos to Ron Paul for sidestepping this landmine!

1. Stefan C. Kosikowski

Wrong, sir.

Congress can end any war immediately by refusing to fund it. That is how law works, the authority to start war (Constitutionally resides with Congress) is the ONLY authority that can end the war. The pinacle of legal ignorance is to believe once started, only the President can stop it. That EXCUSE is mouthed by lying politicians who secretly support the war (profits) while decrying how they can't do anything to stop the President.

1. Gu77ed

I don't recall saying only the president can stop it. Perhaps you can explain what I DID say that was wrong?

3. mynameis677

Judge Napolitano is the only person with good sense on Fox News.

4. coopa97434

cunt- a derogatory term used for a female when they act really stupid and annoying, and need to be put in their place.

5. coopa97434

what a cunt

6. BlackScorpionSkull

Yeah let's pull out and get nuked. GJ. Maybe Kim Jong will rule us when the nuke dust settles. YOU STUPID FUCKING CUMBAGS DO YOU HAVE ANYFUCKING IDEA HOW MUCH POTATOE I SELL!? Sorry.

1. Jim

Yeah sure, that makes sense. Explain to me how having troops on the ground in South Korea, prevents the north from firing a nuke.

Ground troops aren't going to stop that you idiot. You seem to forget that the Soviets had way more nukes then Korea. If they send a nuke our way, you could kiss North Korea good bye. We have way more than they do and they know it.

Besides, I think Korea only has medium range missiles. I could be wrong, but I think that is what I have heard.

Try thinking for yourself once in a while.

7. XNextGenVideoGamesX

How Is he not the President? I'm being serious? Everything he's saying CAN'T be proved wrong because he's literally been right on every issue........jesus, please vote for this man.

8. brettdusek

Ultimately, I get frustrated that we all fall under such a false belief that our soldiers are protecting our rights being overseas. Meanwhile, our judicial branch/court system has been invaded by political interests, and our rights are dissolving before our eyes! Soldiers need to uphold their oath and citizens should support our troops the best way they can - by holding our representatives accountable to their oath! It's accountability to the oath that makes the virtues of America live on.

9. WE THE PEOPLE

I detest most Republicans on account of them being corporate whores en masse.
    Ron Paul is another story. I could see that when that grumpy ol' man McSame laughed at him during a debate in 2008. He doesn't fit in with the sorry cast of Repub candidates for 2012. That's a good thing any way that you look at it!
    While I disagree with some of Ron Paul's positions, I would vote for him based on his disdain for the American empire. We can't afford it and we should abandon it immediately. No more pre-emptive wars bought on by retarded oil men!
    For all the snide remarks and criticism directed at Ron Paul he was the only candidate in 2008 that was intelligent enough to see the Bush economic depression coming. The man calls it the way it is!
    And another thing that makes Ron Paul an exception is that he actually works at a real job for a living flying home to maintain his medical practice. Most of the reps in D.C. live on corporate handouts and wallow at the money trough trolling for campaign donations or like Boner, keep the local taverns in business.
    I sincerely hope that the GOP doesn't try to exclude him like they tried in that debate in '08. He's the only candidate that doesn't ignore the obvious.
    The man is the real deal and the answer to our problems. His voice needs to be heard and I really do hope that he gets the nomination. I'd vote for him in a heartbeat! But I'm not holding my breath, the corporate owners of the GOP will fight him tooth and nail and find another empty-headed stooge to run.

10. zardcat1111

If Paul doesn't get the nominee, I'm not voting at all. Anyone but Ron will send us to a great depression and/or another useless war, and I won't share any responsibility doing that. It's bad enough my taxes are going towards useless wars, much less pick an ignorant commander-and-chief.

11. Jim

Too those of you that think the path we are on is the right one, watch this, and listen carefully to the words spoken, as well as the video.

12. Minuteman9112012

Ron Paul is a KOok!

13. Minuteman9112012

What is your stance when it comes to the global/economic situation on the planet right now?
    Obama and the U.N. are actively failing in conjunction with the global bankers....Uhm, Was anyone actually questioning the U.S. Constitution?
    Were does actual global growth and prosperity live??

Please explain.

14. Minuteman9112012

You sound like an Obama operative. Never mind the Republican primaries, you will lose.

15. Minuteman9112012

When he does articulate, he loses by blaming the U.S. for 9/11 and encouraging pot smoking.....basically being a traditional 3%er Libtarian...nothing new.

1. Libertarian777

You're right. Why don't those libyan civilians who got killed by that NATO airstrike understand that we are killing them for their own good! It's obvious. We're bombing Yemen, Pakistan and Libya for the safety of the civilians. If some of them accidentally die by errant weapons or kill teams that's all right. The civilians love us being over there. It's only terrorists who hate us for our freedom. I wish the Chinese were human rights proponents like the USA. They could bomb Mexico to protect the civilians from the drug gangs.

The usa's foreign military policy is perfect. Our troops in Iraq Kuwait Saudi Arabia Yemen bahrain Egypt etc had nothing to do with terrorists hating us.

16. Minuteman9112012

Ron Paul is in our face and he's going to lose the Republican Primary.
    How can I be more clear to you??

1. Jim

Oh really? What makes you so sure? You know something we don't know?

You better hope he wins, or we won't have a country to worry about in a few more years.

You mindless little weasels, why don't you look things up, like maybe reading some history, look up which banks financed Hitler, who ran those banks. Stop being lazy.

The information is out there. Just look for yourself. The power structure in place has been forming for many many years.

This is not a game, it is real. Just as real as it was in Germany in the 1930's. You better realize it before it is too late.

17. Minuteman9112012

Ron Paul is a Libtarian KOok, not a conservative! He repeats some talking points from the Radical Left!!

18. Minuteman9112012

Ron Paul is a loser because he cannot speak properly when things get heated. He believes that America deserved 9/11 and that it was justified because we asked for it. He believes isolationism and pot smoking will solve all our problems now!

1. Jim

Shut your yap, if we stick our noses in everyone's business, you can expect that someone isn't going to like it. How would you feel if some other country came over here and tried to tell us what to do? We DID ask for it, not the American people, but the corporations that really run this country. We die to protect big oil companies interests. That is the truth, you don't like it? Too bad. Call a spade a spade.

Actually, that IS happening, when you consider the fed is run by foreign nationals. You SHOULD be pissed about that.

Try focusing your anger on the right target.

2. behindthescope

Hmmm, minuteman huh? Sounds more like your sexual prowess than an ICBM.

19. DangerMouse232

should of been 08 pres

20. Minuteman9112012

The left wing media pays him little attention because they know that he is not a threat in any way.
    Ron Paul cannot debate his way out of a wet paper bag...

21. Minuteman9112012

Ron Paul is a KOoK who cannot win an election outside of his own Congressional district.

22. brownspottedbanana

Paul/Napolitano. epic.

23. wingsofliberty437

Women like her and Sarah Palin corrupt the image of politics (and their own gender, because if one whore says something, 3.6 billion other women must be wrong :P)

24. spierce344

Ron Paul 2012!!!!!!

25. hamekasia

Please Americans, vote for Ron Paul. He is the only real candidate. The rest are nothing but caricatures.

26. BMPcontent

Yes close all over seas bases now. You got my vote Ron.

27. peloterosoy21

Go Ron Paul !! Continue to emphasize that The US Constitution must be followed by all !! People stand up for your civil rights and human liberties. !!

28. peloterosoy21

29. 86THECRITIC

That's ridiculous Mr. Paul! Are you trying to screw us over? Hah!

30. komarevo

Peter Schiff is the best candidate for Ron Paul's vice president!!! He is very articulate and on the same track. Fox dogs would not be able to take him down.

31. komarevo

32. voiceofreason2u

Judege Napilotano would make a strong running mate.

33. voiceofreason2u

Judege Napilotano would make a strong running mate.

34. dudefromtheearth

RIGHT ON Ron PAUL! Ron Paul for president 2012! Forget all the others! I won't vote for them.

35. dudefromtheearth