Ron Paul: Offensive War Is Un-American! Close All U.S. Military Bases around the World!

304 Responses

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: peace). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

Fox News: Well, America’s Asking, and you guys are all over our chat today. We’re putting your questions to the Presidential candidates including—starting with a question about national debt. Today the headline is this: A new report from the Congressional Budget Office has some very sobering news for really every single one of us, including projections that government spending, as a share of our economy will increase by nearly 70% by 2035. Historically it’s around 20%. That’s a big jump. Republican Congressman and Presidential Candidate Ron Paul (R-TX) is joining us to take some of your questions. Congressman, let’s start off with the headline, though, and get your thoughts on this. If you were elected President, what is the #1 thing you would do to help fix the economy?

Ron Paul: Well, the #1 thing that I can do, without going through the congressional process, as the President—the President has the authority over foreign policy more than anything else. So indirectly he can help the economy by bringing our troops home and stop spending some of this money that we spend maintaining our empire. And that would be a big help. But if you are talking “directly with the economy,” you have to address monetary policy and tax policy and spending policy. We have to change the attitude of the People on what they believe the government should be doing. We cannot run the programs that we have today, believing that the government can take care of us from cradle to grave, the welfare state; nor can we endorse the principle of the warfare state where we have endless wars. Until we look at those major problems, you can’t really improve the economy.

Fox News: All right, so I’ll take the welfare state and then the warfare state, and we have good questions on both. Let’s start with the welfare state. Keith Baldwin had this question on our chat. He said, “Dr. Paul, you come off to many as radical, and therefore can get marginalized. How do you plan to address Social Security and Medicare without scaring off voters?”

Ron Paul: Well, in a very practical way, I’ve never voted to spend one penny out of Medicare or Medicaid, because I don’t vote for the appropriation bills. So if we are going to pretend and try to make these programs solvent, you cannot spend any of that money in the general revenue. And I also have bills that would make it illegal to do that. And the other part of the program—though I don’t believe in the entitlement system, I do believe in priorities. So saving hundreds of billions of dollars from overseas and the Department of Education and the Department of Energy and many other things; you can cut in those areas and tide the People over, whether it’s their medical benefits or Social Security, because there is no money there! And I believe there is a transition, but unfortunately, you can’t get a consensus, because some who care about fiscal conservatism don’t believe that should apply to the militarism around the world. But it is conceivable, if you can get the People to endorse these ideas and force Congress into doing it.

Fox News: But let’s talk a little bit about that, because you’re talking about shifting, as you mentioned, some funds here, and you mentioned the overseas factor. Sean on twitter was talking to me a little bit about this interview with you, and he said he wanted to ask you about—beyond Afghanistan, what’s your stance about closing or maintaining military bases around the world? Are there particular areas that you specifically already know that you’d like to close the bases that we have.

Ron Paul: Yeah. All of them. Just come home.

Fox News: All of them?

Ron Paul: Yeah. Why are we in Korea? We’ve been there since I’ve been in high school. Why are we in Japan? We’ve been there since World War II. Why are we in Germany, subsidizing their welfare state by paying for their defense by staying in Germany? And why are we in five wars in the Middle East? We’d be much better off. We are less safe because of this. We’re going broke. And it undermines our national security. So why stay any of those places? There’s no economic or military advantage for us to be so involved, trying to make other people live the way we do. If we have—

Fox News: Well, yeah, but some would say, Congressman, that there’s a difference in being defensive or being offensive, when it comes to protecting our country. Some believe that we can more defensive, and when there’s a threat we can defend against it. Others believe that we should be offensive, which is part of the reason why there are some military bases overseas, so that we’re “leading” in those areas.

Ron Paul: Right!

Fox News: Why do you believe that that’s not the way to go?

Ron Paul: Because that’s the way dictators work. To say it casually that we should consider being offensive, that’s what dictators do. This whole idea that was encapsulated with the last administration that “we endorse preventive war, pre-emptive war; we go to war to prevent somebody from attacking us,” that is endless war—and for casual reasons, without declaration. I think that is so dangerous. We should have a defense; we should defend our country. But when you talk about bases because we might need an offensive war, I consider that absolutely un-American.

Fox News: On the issue of past administration and the current administration, we have a comment coming from G.C., and he would like to know: If you could debate the President on any topic, what would it be and why?

Ron Paul: Well, there are too many good ones. But I would start with foreign policy: Why did he say he would start bringing troops home, and instead immediately increased our troops? So foreign policy overall. He’s—both administrations were very much the same, so I would challenge him on that. But how could I avoid wanting to challenge him on monetary policy, printing money—when we need money, just print it?—deficits, running up deficits, the whole economic program is so outlandish that it’s led to this deficit crisis. And unless we deal with that, nothing is going to happen; things are just going to get that much worse. So whether it’s economic policy or foreign policy, it’s all the same. It’s the size of government. Why not shrink the size of government and follow our Constitution?

Fox News: Congressman, you’re giving this another shot, this run for President. There are, of course, folks that are already in the race and potential candidates, such as the governor of your state of Texas here. Curious: who do you view as your greatest competition, and why do you believe this time is the time for you to jump into this race again?

Ron Paul: Well, the country has moved in my direction, because I’ve been talking about these things for a lot of years. And the financial bubble that so many of us worried about did collapse, and now we’re going to move into inflation and a monetary crisis. All these events, people are sick and tired of the groping at airports and endless wars. So everything is moving in the direction of protecting our civil liberties. Now, as far as who do I see as the greatest threat, I put them all in one category. I think they all fit in the category of promoting the status quo. They don’t challenge the foreign policy; they don’t challenge the Federal Reserve system; they don’t really challenge the deficit. If they did, and they cared, we wouldn’t have these kind of deficits. So I would say there’s no one individual that I sense as my #1 challenger. I think they’re lumped together, and for my benefit they’re all going to divide the Establishment vote up, and we’ll do quite well.

Fox News: Well, I’m sure they have their thoughts about that, as well, and that’s why we’re inviting all of them to come on with the Town Hall. Real quick, there’s a rumor on our chat that you could be tapping Judge Naplitano of Fox News as your Vice Presidential candidate. Is there any truth to that?

Ron Paul: Well, not so, because that’d have to be a little bit premature. But I do have to admit, somebody caught me off-guard and said, “What kind of people—who would you ever suggest to work with you and run as a Vice President candidate?” And I really admire Judge Napolitano, so I mentioned him. But I didn’t even confide in him, which is probably illegal or something: You don’t promise jobs. But I think he would good in any administration; I think he’d be grand on the Supreme Court

Fox News: I had no—John, did you know Congressman Paul was such a fan of Judge Napolitano? I had no idea! [To Ron Paul]: Well, you learn something new everyday, Congressman. We’ll pass that along. I’m sure he’ll be interested to hear that, and we appreciate you joining us on the chat, and our viewers do, as well. I’ll look forward to having back, sir. Thank you.

Processing your request, Please wait....
  • http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=j12torts j12torts

America got so big like the Roman Empire, that if you shrink the foreign bases you run the risk of being attacked on home soil BUT if you also if you keep maintaining the foreign bases you increase the risk of economic bankruptcy

this country just got so large like the Roman Empire that there is no way out but down.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=j12torts j12torts

i agree with ron paul on foreign policy but not sure about other issues

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=BarryRucker BarryRucker

To being. We have agreements with several countries that have to maintain military bases in their countries. If we do as Ron Paul wants and bring ALL the troops home, we would have no buffer between us and those who would do us harm. We can quit the fight but the bad guys won’t. We would be forced to react to attacks on our own soil. As a retired military officer I can see so many scary situations that would result from this. Ron Paul is a nut.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ColeWilliams Cole Williams

go RON PAUL… I just don’t want to be in the war… WoW what if we had a draft… I’m sorry i’m scared to be in the war……

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzsss lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzsss

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Badass123420 Badass123420

IT TAKES MORE THAN 4 YEARS FOR A PRESIDENT TO FULFILL THESE PROMISES. ITS A HUGE FUCKING JOB,

i hope Ron Paul runs for president every 4 years until the day he dies

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=junkers1337 junkers1337

Ron Paul is smart! He knows that they would rip each other to shreds and America would once again be best nation on Earth! Though Millions of lives would be lost in all the conflicts that would break out but thats the cost of success.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=4rcher91 4rcher91

If this person is really what he is, then I’m with him. We’re all with him. Let us just hope he will execute those promises, when he becomes the president.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Virusacid Virusacid

Just a comment, because I am surprised no one has even talked about this….but do you realize that IF RP gets elected, when he takes office he will be 77 Years Old??? and conclude his term at 81??? …making him the oldest President ever elected!! I personally wouldn’t vote for him until I knew who his VP is going to be. Heck, they were giving Reagan grief when on his second term run and he was 73.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=theoneatyourdoor87 theoneatyourdoor87

honey I shrunk the government

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TheTERM1000 TheTERM1000

if ron paul does not win i will not join the military when im 18. (i know most of you wont care if i do or do not) the point is i dont want to be protecting germany,japan,iseral and all them i want to protect the USA and only the USA.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=dffesfs dffesfs

In my opinion, voting for Ron Paul is taking the first step in the past decade towards a brighter future for America.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=herojasonturner herojasonturner

that seem to drag on and on, but doing the right thing doesn’t always feel good and is rarely easy! I’m from New Zealand and i thank God everyday for America and their constant effort and sacrifice to keep us all safe! there are many problems especially financially that the US needs to sort out, but completely removing all foreign troops is NOT the answer!

God Bless America!

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=herojasonturner herojasonturner

and turning a blind eye to what other countries are doing is exactly what they need to rise up and destroy us. Half the world does’nt think like most of the west, they WANT war, and power! These people don’t fight fair, and lack the moral values we often take for granted! They won’t leave the US alone because the US leaves them alone! everybody knows the truth of the saying best defence is a good offence, so why are we ignoring it when it counts the most! I know how sick we are of the Wars..

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=herojasonturner herojasonturner

I’ve heard so many good things about Ron Paul, but sorry that foreign policy he is promoting is insane. As much as it costs the U.S and as frustrating and crazy it seems to be fighting multiple wars and becoming militarily involved in other countries, without it i believe the free world would be doomed. Did we learn nothing from the first two world wars?! When free countries like the US stay at home and ignore the rest of the world, they are paving the way for their own destruction! Apeasement..

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=NoFukinNamesLeft NoFukinNamesLeft

Its quite sad that Ron Paul is the only candidate that would make america what it is acutally supposed to be, according to the constitution, the US right now is more like the UK :|

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xXThatMexicanGuyXx xXThatMexicanGuyXx

You cant tell hez so fuckin gone ahahaha xD I want a president who smokes bud just as much as i do! Im voting 4 Ron Paul BIATCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=atxpam atxpam

Folks in IOWA.. YOU have an opportunity to vote for Dr. Ron Paul in your caucus this evening – whether you are Democrat, Independent, Republican, or a new voter!

Just be at your caucus by 6:30pm, register Republican, and cast your vote!

Everything you need to know is here: iowaforpaul [dot] com

Shock the establishment! Peace in 2012! Ron Paul 2012!

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=CptQuestionMark CptQuestionMark

I hope he loses.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xoxashreexox xoxashreexox

I really hope most Americans really wake up and realize that Ron Paul would be the best chance they have to correct all the fuck ups of the last 10 years. He just makes sense on all topics.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=311Essie 311Essie

I used to say that Green Day’s album “American Idiot” was off-target and mostly wrong, but now that I’m seeing how people respond to Ron Paul and his logic, I am convinced that the majority of Americans are just apathetic or idiotic. Shit Green Day was right. I don’t wanna be an American Idiot!!! Ron Paul 2012!!!!

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=LatitudeClear LatitudeClear

Just because American’s want a decent education system, healthcare system, and infrastructure that is on par with Japan, Sweden, Switzerland, Australia, and virtually every other developed nation on the planet does not make us a “wellfare state.”

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=LatitudeClear LatitudeClear

“We can’t expect the Government to take care of people from cradle to grave…”

well then, maybe it’s time to stop taking care of the Government, and wellfare of all these big banks and corporations.

Such as allowing all of our major business to circumvent slave labor and child labor laws we have had in effect since the 1920’s when they export our jobs overseas. Shut that down and I promise the majority of work we lost will come back to us.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=corsht corsht

I would be so pissed if some big shot, nosey country came from the other side of the world and started taking over… no wonder everyone hates us. The dumbasses in control thing its their mission to control the world and we can’t even control ourselves.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=isnay2003 isnay2003

I would say Ron Paul 2012 or Civil War, but that might temp the competition.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jikchi1234 jikchi1234

RON PAUL 2012!!!!!!

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TheOnlyPrank TheOnlyPrank

Obama all the way. Flame me stupid Americans :)

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ICproductions2020 ICproductions2020

PLEASE PEOPLE WAKE UP, SEARCH FOR RON PAUL VIDEOS, SEE WHAT HE IS FIGHTING FOR!

We need change now before the Government takes all our rights away from us.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ICproductions2020 ICproductions2020

It’s not enough to say “Vote Ron Paul

PEOPLE NEED TO SWITCH PARTIES 12 WEEKS IN ADVANCE OF THE PRIMARIES IN MOST STATES.

IF YOU DO NOT SWITCH IN TIME YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.

IF YOU ARE NOT REGISTERED REPUBLICAN YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.

IF RON PAUL DOES NOT WIN PRIMARY, NO GENERAL ELECTION ! REGISTER AS A REPUBLICAN. FIND OUT WHEN YOUR STATE HAS PRIMARIES. FIND OUT WHERE AND VOTE VOTE VOTE ! PLEASE !

WE NEED EVERY LAST VOTE ! Copy & paste this everywhere and THUMBS UP!

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ICproductions2020 ICproductions2020

It’s not enough to say “Vote Ron Paul

IF YOU DO NOT SWITCH IN TIME YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.

IF YOU ARE NOT REGISTERED REPUBLICAN YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.

WE NEED EVERY LAST VOTE ! Copy & paste this everywhere and THUMBS UP!

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=24habbas 24habbas

I dont think she understands anything he is saying.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Zimnyification Zimnyification

That anchor is hot.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=moogaly moogaly

It’s not enough to say “Vote Ron Paul

IF YOU DO NOT SWITCH IN TIME YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.

IF YOU ARE NOT REGISTERED REPUBLICAN YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.

WE NEED EVERY LAST VOTE ! Copy and paste this everywhere

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=moogaly moogaly

It’s not enough to say “Vote Ron Paul

IF YOU DO NOT SWITCH IN TIME YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.

IF YOU ARE NOT REGISTERED REPUBLICAN YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.

WE NEED EVERY LAST VOTE ! Copy and paste this everywhere

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=megatroll megatroll

Dear America.
    I won’t state my location (due to bias etc.)
    We are a developed country who commits in peace and trade with the entire world. We are amongst the world leaders in giving development aid and actually GO THERE and build hospitals and schools, provide medical care and food for poor people.
    Many people worldwide enjoy our exports and we welcome all cultures and religions alike.
    WHY DO YOU OCCUPY OUR LAND WITH MILITARY BASES ???
    Can we please have our dignity back?
    Thanks.