Ron Paul: Get out of Afghanistan! End War Profits and Corporatism!

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: afghanistan). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

Dylan Ratigan: Joining us now is Republican Congressman from Texas, and GOP presidential hopeful, Ron Paul. And, Congressman, it’s a pleasure to see you again.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

Dylan Ratigan: Now, your thoughts on everybody coming around to your way of thinking?

Ron Paul: Well, I hope it’s true, it looks like they have certainly moved in that direction, and I think it reflects the fact that the people have awakened, and that’s where they’re coming from right now. The American people are tired of it, 10 years is way too much. Nobody, as you described, has defined what our goals are and how victory could be achieved. So they’re sick and tired of it, we’re flat out broke, the sooner the better. I thought something you mentioned was very, very important, bringing a token 10,000 troops home or a few troops home. But you mentioned the fact of the contractors. What if they add 10,000, contracting out this war? It was done in Iraq and now it’s being done in Afghanistan. It’s much bigger than just measuring the number of troops there. But, overall, it’s the policy; what are we there for, what is the purpose, does it serve our national interests? And I would say no, there’s no real purpose there. And Senator Mencken made that very important point: China is achieving more than we achieve with all our fighting and killing and militarism, and the Chinese are out-classifying us as capitalist. They loan us money and they invest their money because they have most of our money, we’ve spent it over there. So we have really turned out system and its head, and we have to change it. But economic events are going to force us to do it, and I think it’s coming soon.

Dylan Ratigan: How do we exploit this opportunity? I feel, though, in the Republican primary that almost a man or a woman wants a redefinition of the Afghanistan mission, if not outright troop withdrawal along with everybody, from Senator Joe Manchin, Senator Bernie Sanders. I can line up a whole string of Democrats who would agree with you. How can we get the convergence of those disparate communities to wield force on the president and Republican leadership in the House?

Ron Paul: Well, I can see why people become disenchanted, because when George Bush Junior ran in the year 2000, I liked what he was saying. He said we should have a humble foreign policy, we shouldn’t be in nation building. But immediately afterwards he changed that policy. And then Obama was elected more-or-less as the peace candidate. Most people held on and said he will change the direction of the George Bush Administration, but nothing changes. So that’s why the American people get so tired of it all. But I think it won’t happen until we’re routed for economic reasons, like the Soviets were routed. Because, right now, even with a fancy speech tonight, I don’t think we’re going to lie back and say, “Hey, we finally turned the band and we are leaving”. I think we’re there for a long time to come, I think we’re there as long as the people will take our dollars, and we’re going to keep spending. It’s a very, very dangerous situation.

Dylan Ratigan: And would you ultimately argue that the narrative you just described when George Bush to President Obama – we’re talking about Republican and Democratic leadership in terms of their rhetoric, but the inability for the machine to respond to the people as a direct reflection of the military-industrial complex’s control of all of our military resources and foreign policy?

Ron Paul: Oh, I think so. I think the control is by the special interest, just as the control for bailing out the banks and the big corporations… the people didn’t want that. They’re the ones who got short changed on that. And when it comes to our foreign policy, it’s managed by the big corporations, it’s managed by those who make a lot of money, the war profits, and it’s a form of corporatism that exists. And that’s why we are getting a growing consensus with this from the progressive left as well as the libertarian right. We are coming together, but it’s just a major undertaking to attack the status quo. And because you just can’t always believe the rhetoric. I mean, the people have been hoodwinked too many times, they have to be able to trust the individual who says, “Enough is enough, it’s time to come home”, and certainly that is my position. A long time ago I thought we should have come home.

Dylan Ratigan: And how could we go about doing this? I mean, looking at this withdrawal narrative that the White House is pushing, I suppose in the hope that everybody in the media comes out and says, “Oh, President Obama launches the withdrawal” without looking deeper to see the 10,000 troops, not to mention the ability to hire 10,000 people with the contractors, is an insult to all of us. What would it really look like, in your mind, if we were going to withdraw?

Ron Paul: Well, there would be an announcement. A president could do it, he’s in charge of the troops. He could just say, “Look, it’s time to come home, we’re going to back off, we’re going to systematically come home as safely as possible and as quickly as possible”. And I think once the announcement was made, and the people knew we were serious, there would be a lot of re-assurance. Maybe some of the American capitalist would once again invest some money as the Chinese capitalist are doing right now. I mean, the Chinese are not only investing in Afghanistan, they’re investing in Iran. We want a fight, we want another war with Iran instead of saying, “Well, why don’t we spread our goodness by trading with people?” I mean, there was one time, of course, in recent memory, especially for me, was all we and the Chinese wanted to do was shoot and kill each other over the Korean War. But now we trade with the Chinese. I mean, what is so terrible about that? Because it is the way to preserve peace and prosperity at the same time.

Dylan Ratigan: Yea. Listen, Congressman, as I said to Senator Mencken, I’ll say it to you, I could not agree more and I wish you all the best in your efforts and we’ll do everything we can to help you, particularly on the issue of the war. Thank you, Congressman.

Ron Paul: Thank you very much.

Dylan Ratigan: Alright, Ron Paul.

1. Bring back the republic, long live the revolution!

2. All of us that understand Ron Paul and post on here need to be posting on news forums about the debates and the news. We have to get other people to look at Ron Paul and understand that our country is a corporatist empire and as of now he is the only politician willing to get our country back.

3. RON PAUL MAKES ME HORNY FOR FREEDOM

4. People, Ron is Americas LAST CHANCE. Please spread his words of freedom and explain the younger generation is in danger without this man. Their freedoms will be lost.

5. voiceofreason2u

One down rave........... either Joe Lieberman or John McCain.

6. "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." Thomas Jefferson STOP ALL WARS OF AGGRESSION! Preventive war was an invention of hitler,Frankly,I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing. Dwight D. Eisenhower

7. i've never seen a presidential candidate more loved by countries around the world!

8. We need Ron Paul 2012

9. World Socialist Website - " Obama’s Thursday night speech on “the way forward in Afghanistan” offered only years more of a dirty colonial war that both the American and the Afghan people overwhelmingly oppose.
    The plan announced by Obama will spell an escalation rather than a reduction in the bloodshed in Afghanistan. The aim is to carry out a military offensive over this summer and the next in an attempt to militarily crush the popular opposition to US occupation."

10. long live Ron Paul !

11. Ron Paul seems too good to be true. We shouldn't disclose the possibility that he might give the middle finger once hes elected president.

Ron Paul, just like Obama has this charisma to win over the hearts of people. Both characteristics of freemasonry trained actors.

''If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.''

• Oh sure, so I guess we should just either re-elect Obama or elect one of the other status quo members because Ron Paul MIGHT just give us the finger.

You have some funny logic. We all KNOW what jumping off a cliff will bring. Seems to me, that the guy telling you to put on a parachute before you jump makes more sense, then the guy who keeps telling us that jumping off a cliff like we have been for decades will produce any result other than what we have already seen.

Get real. Ron Paul for the win.

• Clearly you paid 0 attention to the 2008 presidential run. Ron Paul said exactly the same thing then as he said now. Only then he was lambasted as loony, nuts, old school, radical, etc.

Only now that mainstream people are starting to understand are the trolls running scared. Ron paul has very little charisma. The reason he wasn't popular in years gone by is because he said the truth. Things nonone wanted to hear or accept. Now that the truth has come to light and Ron paul has been vindicated only now are people accepting his message. Yet people will now claim that he's come out of nowhere to say these things for the popular vote. Do some research. He's been saying these same things since the late 1970's.

12. 10 BILLION dollar monthly budget to fight this war and bring our boys home!!! 88 percent of bailout money sent to FOREIGN Banks…. Feds wont open up books to public and Obama wont enforce the laws of this country !!! Taxes on ‘Small Business’ Must Rise So Government Doesn’t ‘Shrink’?!?!? Ron we need you, save this country we all know you can and will… I have never voted, I will admit never thought my voted matter and I never really cared always been busy running my company…. Ron I will vote for you, I will speak your name whenever I can, you are the last hope for this once great country.

www.twitter.com/WhatsNextObama ... Ill tell you what is next Ron Paul 2012!!!Here we come!!

13. you know what i don't want to do? Imagine ron paul on a toilet taking a shit.

14. KagarBeardtooth

Ron Paul is the ONLY AntiWar candidate in this election. Everyone needs to recognize that and vote accordingly.

15. Why are all his videos on MSNBC now? is it because they are hosting the next debate?

16. I want to hug this guy. Ron Paul is the only one in DC who actually GETS IT.

17. Ron Paul and the Judge Napolitano or Jesse Ventura. 2012 we take back our freedom and America!

18. Ron Paul and the Judge Napolitano or Jesse Ventura. 2012 we take back our freedom and America!

19. hay china we'll trade all the heffers we got for some of them sporty slant ones! 😛

20. Im not even american but i seriously don't understand why he isn't president. People need to wake up and vote him in...he'll acutally do very well cause lets be honest the entire world thinks america is a fucken joke...and when i say that i mean GOVT not the citizens