Ron Paul: Get out of Afghanistan! End War Profits and Corporatism!

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: afghanistan). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

Dylan Ratigan: Joining us now is Republican Congressman from Texas, and GOP presidential hopeful, Ron Paul. And, Congressman, it’s a pleasure to see you again.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

Dylan Ratigan: Now, your thoughts on everybody coming around to your way of thinking?

Ron Paul: Well, I hope it’s true, it looks like they have certainly moved in that direction, and I think it reflects the fact that the people have awakened, and that’s where they’re coming from right now. The American people are tired of it, 10 years is way too much. Nobody, as you described, has defined what our goals are and how victory could be achieved. So they’re sick and tired of it, we’re flat out broke, the sooner the better. I thought something you mentioned was very, very important, bringing a token 10,000 troops home or a few troops home. But you mentioned the fact of the contractors. What if they add 10,000, contracting out this war? It was done in Iraq and now it’s being done in Afghanistan. It’s much bigger than just measuring the number of troops there. But, overall, it’s the policy; what are we there for, what is the purpose, does it serve our national interests? And I would say no, there’s no real purpose there. And Senator Mencken made that very important point: China is achieving more than we achieve with all our fighting and killing and militarism, and the Chinese are out-classifying us as capitalist. They loan us money and they invest their money because they have most of our money, we’ve spent it over there. So we have really turned out system and its head, and we have to change it. But economic events are going to force us to do it, and I think it’s coming soon.

Dylan Ratigan: How do we exploit this opportunity? I feel, though, in the Republican primary that almost a man or a woman wants a redefinition of the Afghanistan mission, if not outright troop withdrawal along with everybody, from Senator Joe Manchin, Senator Bernie Sanders. I can line up a whole string of Democrats who would agree with you. How can we get the convergence of those disparate communities to wield force on the president and Republican leadership in the House?

Ron Paul: Well, I can see why people become disenchanted, because when George Bush Junior ran in the year 2000, I liked what he was saying. He said we should have a humble foreign policy, we shouldn’t be in nation building. But immediately afterwards he changed that policy. And then Obama was elected more-or-less as the peace candidate. Most people held on and said he will change the direction of the George Bush Administration, but nothing changes. So that’s why the American people get so tired of it all. But I think it won’t happen until we’re routed for economic reasons, like the Soviets were routed. Because, right now, even with a fancy speech tonight, I don’t think we’re going to lie back and say, “Hey, we finally turned the band and we are leaving”. I think we’re there for a long time to come, I think we’re there as long as the people will take our dollars, and we’re going to keep spending. It’s a very, very dangerous situation.

Dylan Ratigan: And would you ultimately argue that the narrative you just described when George Bush to President Obama – we’re talking about Republican and Democratic leadership in terms of their rhetoric, but the inability for the machine to respond to the people as a direct reflection of the military-industrial complex’s control of all of our military resources and foreign policy?

Ron Paul: Oh, I think so. I think the control is by the special interest, just as the control for bailing out the banks and the big corporations… the people didn’t want that. They’re the ones who got short changed on that. And when it comes to our foreign policy, it’s managed by the big corporations, it’s managed by those who make a lot of money, the war profits, and it’s a form of corporatism that exists. And that’s why we are getting a growing consensus with this from the progressive left as well as the libertarian right. We are coming together, but it’s just a major undertaking to attack the status quo. And because you just can’t always believe the rhetoric. I mean, the people have been hoodwinked too many times, they have to be able to trust the individual who says, “Enough is enough, it’s time to come home”, and certainly that is my position. A long time ago I thought we should have come home.

Dylan Ratigan: And how could we go about doing this? I mean, looking at this withdrawal narrative that the White House is pushing, I suppose in the hope that everybody in the media comes out and says, “Oh, President Obama launches the withdrawal” without looking deeper to see the 10,000 troops, not to mention the ability to hire 10,000 people with the contractors, is an insult to all of us. What would it really look like, in your mind, if we were going to withdraw?

Ron Paul: Well, there would be an announcement. A president could do it, he’s in charge of the troops. He could just say, “Look, it’s time to come home, we’re going to back off, we’re going to systematically come home as safely as possible and as quickly as possible”. And I think once the announcement was made, and the people knew we were serious, there would be a lot of re-assurance. Maybe some of the American capitalist would once again invest some money as the Chinese capitalist are doing right now. I mean, the Chinese are not only investing in Afghanistan, they’re investing in Iran. We want a fight, we want another war with Iran instead of saying, “Well, why don’t we spread our goodness by trading with people?” I mean, there was one time, of course, in recent memory, especially for me, was all we and the Chinese wanted to do was shoot and kill each other over the Korean War. But now we trade with the Chinese. I mean, what is so terrible about that? Because it is the way to preserve peace and prosperity at the same time.

Dylan Ratigan: Yea. Listen, Congressman, as I said to Senator Mencken, I’ll say it to you, I could not agree more and I wish you all the best in your efforts and we’ll do everything we can to help you, particularly on the issue of the war. Thank you, Congressman.

Ron Paul: Thank you very much.

Dylan Ratigan: Alright, Ron Paul.

1. Please my fellow americans.... if you truly want to be free and quit being manhandled by our federal government... vote for Ron Paul

2. The only canidate I want to see in the white house. This guy puts all out there, and has always been this way. If the media wasn't controlled by the corrupted running this country and America really choose it's leader, Ron Paul would be the next president.

3. This man is a genius.

4. If you are angry at the media, for ignoreing Ron Paul and the American people let them know!

FOX news room 212-301-5800

CNN news desk 404-827-2751

CNN news desk fax: 404-827-3368

We must make our voices heard, we can make a difference. Call and let them know we see what they are doing and there will be consequences, like not watching their sorry excuse for news. Join the Ron Paul Sign Bomb so that we can show them how much suport Ron Paul has. We need YOU!

5. ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    It's not enough to say "Vote Ron Paul"
    In order for Dr.Paul to win, HE NEEDS THE PRIMARY. That's the toughest part.
    IF YOU WANT TO VOTE IN PRIMARY YOU HAVE TO BE REGISTERED REPUBLICAN! If you don't switch parties in time, (3 months ahead in some states from now) YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO VOTE!!
    Go to BLUEREPUBLICAN(dot)ORG and register ASAP! Copy and paste this everywhere! Thumbs up to help this be on top.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

6. ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    It's not enough to say "Vote Ron Paul"
    In order for Dr.Paul to win, HE NEEDS THE PRIMARY. That's the toughest part.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

7. I want Ron Paul as president. BUT I'm a marine and i actually like getting deployed, so pulling out of afghanistan is like quitting meth.
    I do miss smoking mary jane

8. You said it, Ron!

You look a lot like Gandalf!

9. this guys a alien from outer space to set this planet in the right orbit again! ;D;D

10. It's not enough to say "Vote Ron Paul"
    PEOPLE NEED TO SWITCH PARTIES 12 WEEKS IN ADVANCE OF THE PRIMARIES IN MOST STATES.
    IF YOU DO NOT SWITCH IN TIME YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.
    IF YOU ARE NOT REGISTERED REPUBLICAN YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.
    IF RON PAUL DOES NOT WIN PRIMARY, NO GENERAL ELECTION ! REGISTER AS A REPUBLICAN. FIND OUT WHEN YOUR STATE HAS PRIMARIES. FIND OUT WHERE AND VOTE VOTE VOTE ! PLEASE !
    WE NEED EVERY LAST VOTE ! Copy and paste this everywhere

11. It's not enough to say "Vote Ron Paul"
    IF YOU DO NOT SWITCH IN TIME YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.
    IF YOU ARE NOT REGISTERED REPUBLICAN YOU CANNOT VOTE IN PRIMARY.
    WE NEED EVERY LAST VOTE ! Copy and paste this everywhere

12. Anyone who makes sense will not become president. If they are elected, they will "die" suddenly upon election.

Face it, humans are controlled by those with the most resources.

13. too bad ron paul is 2012. we will all be dead by then cuz 2012. obama ia the worlds last president

14. RON MOTHER FUCKING PAUL / DENNIS BITCH ASS KUCINICH 2012

15. im afraid this man might get a "heart attack" or get shot by some "extremist". cause he is obviously taking a stand against the system, and we all know what happened to the guys before him :/

16. This man gives me wings.

17. There are many ideas of Ron Paul im fairly skeptical of. However keeping America from getting into wars, slashing unessesary military spending. We for one thing don't need hundreds of military basis on other people's countries, that causes tensions which gets us into hot water. Aboloshing the Federal Reserve Acts which were 98 years old. Ending Oil subsidies.
    These Ideas I am quite fond of.
    I like this man.

18. Ron Paul 2012

19. Ron Paul 2012

20. Ron Paul will FIX the economy for years to come. This is all you have to read, for god sake I hope you read it. Google this: "Abolish The Federal Reserve Act of 1913" I had no idea until I read this. I'm a college student and usauly I mind my own buisness with this stuff, but just trust me you gatta read this. If you want to make a difference sign the petition!