Ron Paul: Privatize Airport Security

Transcript

Megyn Kelly: Just when you thought airport security couldn’t get anymore unbearable, well guess what? Prepare for even more scrutiny now. The TSA warning that terrorists are seriously considering a new tactic, surgically implanting explosive devices. It could mean big changes in the screening procedures again and chances are, they won’t be less intrusive. Texas Republican Ron Paul is a presidential candidate, and he is introducing the American traveler dignity act saying we should completely replace the TSA with private security firms. Good morning or good afternoon I should say, Congressman. I’m used to saying good morning on Fox & Friends, sorry about that.

Ron Paul: Okay, good afternoon.

Megyn Kelly: So you are introducing this new plan to privatize, I guess what’s now known as the TSA. How would that make it better?

Ron Paul: Well it would make it efficient, there’s no history to show that government bureaucrats are ever more efficient than the private market. But there’s two different ways how you privatize something. If you just take the airport security and the government hires out private firms, that’s not for me privatization. That’s sort of a combination of big business and big government and that doesn’t solve the problem. The responsibility should be on the airlines, just as it’s on the responsibility of the owners of chemical plants and the owners of armored cars. They take charge of that and they do a very, very good job.

And the government was in charge of security before 9/11. They did a lousy job. They prohibited guns from being on airplane and they said “nobody should resist.” And so we set the stage for 9/11. So I want the owners to assume responsibility and the burden would be on the airlines and it would save the taxpayer an awful lot of money.

Megyn Kelly: So if I run an airline right now, tell me if I’m right or wrong. I don’t think I like this plan because what’s it going to cost me?

Ron Paul: Well that’s the reason we don’t have it. The airlines are in bed with the government, they’re partners with the government. They don’t want the liability and they don’t want the responsibility. But they should have it. Yes it’ll cost them money and you’ll have to pay for it with a higher ticket but you’ll pay lower taxes. But they’ll do a better job and it’s going to be so much more efficient. They’re not going to take X-rays of you in the nude, and they’re not going to prod and poke you. They’re not going to prod and poke little kids and 95-year-old women. They’re going to figure it out because they got to treat them like customers. So that’s all the difference in the world.

Megyn Kelly: But Congressman Paul, you’re on Capitol Hill. You know that there’s a lot of waste of taxpayer dollars. Are you just assuming that if we privatize this that all the tax dollars that were going to the TSA would suddenly be given back to us?

Ron Paul: Well it should be, you can’t assume anything with the politicians and the bureaucrats because they always figure out a way to keep it there, they’re endless and if they don’t get enough then they go to the Fed and they get the Fed to do their bailing out. So it’s outrageous, it’s totally out of control. But you have to make the effort; you have to make the suggestion, what is the alternative? If you can’t depend on government, whom should you depend on? I say depend on the market, private owners take much better care of the property than government has ever done.

Megyn Kelly: Well let me tell you about some of the enhanced security measures that are now going to apparently go into place with the TSA because of these reports about surgically implanted bombs from Al-Qaeda. Here it is: more behavior detection officers, more airport interviews and pat downs, in addition, in an effort to detect traces of explosives, passenger’s skin and clothing may be swabbed. Is that what you’re talking about?

Ron Paul: Well I think that’s an outrage I mean horrible, if the private airlines were doing it, they might have one sniff dog that knows something about explosives and that’s all you would need, you don’t need all this other stuff, no it’s going to cost a lot more money and I’ve said and I sincerely believe this, if the American people can look at these pictures on TV about what they do to 95-year-old women, what they do to little kids and the groping of the groins and if the American people say, “Oh that’s okay with me” I tell you what, we’re in a lot worse shape than I think we’re in. I think we’ve given up, if we accept that, we’re in bad trouble.

Megyn Kelly: Right, well, as you know the argument is that a lot of Americans are okay with that because they feel like in this day and age since 9/11 they might have to give up a liberty, I’m just saying that’s the other side of the equation here to keep everyone safe. Before you go, I got to get this question in though, if you privatize airport screening and security, how does profiling fit into that?

Ron Paul: Well they’re allowed to, because a private company has an obligation, if you don’t like the airline and they do too much profiling then you don’t fly on that airline. But today there are not a lot of profiles, so a 95-year-old woman get’s treated like a terrorist and somebody else who really looks like he could, that guy I might want to ask him two question, oh well, we can’t’ ask him as many question, matter of fact I even back off because he looks sort of suspicious. No, a private airline has a right to be suspicious and they can in a way, but if they overdo that they’re going to have a bad reputation and the customers are going to make sure that they hear about it.

Megyn Kelly: Very interesting. Let us know how your new plan, the American traveler dignity act, let us know if it’s successful or not. Congressman Ron Paul always great to see you. Thanks so much, have a good weekend.

1. 12 december 2012 is not the end of the world. Its the beginning of a new age of global awareness.

2. I'm been President-less since 2008 so I'm countin' the days til November 2012 when I can say I America has a President again! Ron Paul 2012

3. LOL i love how they come up with this bullshit and never show the sources. it's like they get a mail from the terrorists telling them about their new tactic.

4. not buying it. do you really think a terrorist has the capability of surgically implanting a bomb into someone? it would get infected before they even get to the airport.

5. I wouldn't mind TSA if they did happy endings...

6. IamTheAntiMartyr

What if were coming back from an elk hunt in Wyoming? Surely...some of the clothes in my luggage are going to have some kind of gun powder residue on them. Does that mean that I'm going to miss my flight? Be gorunded? Possibly detained overnight?

7. I've flown like 12 times in the last 6 months and didn't see one sniffer dog.

8. Charlie Veitch interview explaining his flip flop on 9/11 truth movement. Shill? You Decide...
    Charlie Veitch - Just what is he actually saying? I am not sure he really knows.
    /watch?v=OXzfWo4yyXM

9. Big Sis has the propaganda machine running on full steam. A handful of terrorists got lucky on 9/11 through the use of box cutters and via architectural design shortcomings. Now we are being told that every plane will fall out of the sky because terrorists are using surgically implanted explosive devices.

Why can't our government admit that the terrorists got lucky on 9/11 and let the airlines implement new safety procedures based on facts from that day and subsequent terrorist attempts?

10. These new airport tactics were inspired by the works of George Orwell

11. 4; 20 Fox' puppet says ''they might have to give up a liberty to feel safe''?

Whatever happened to ''Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death''??

What's next? Do we outlaw the Liberty Bell and erect a statue of Handcuffs???

12. IndianaPolitico

End the TSA! Donate to Ron Paul's "Ready, Ames, Fire!" money bomb on July 19th, and send a message to the establishment!

13. more chance of being struck by lighting than being killed or injured in a terrorist attack, giving up rights to 'combat terrorism' is bullshit

14. hey if cops are 8 times more likely to kill you than terrorist... I fear my own police more than the terrorist. They say we shouldn't fly if we're so paranoid about these security measures but I say that if these security measures require the molestation of my peoples then THEY are to paranoid to fly. Revert to the old ways and the cowards should not fly.

15. halflifeproductionz

privatize public toilets, privatize abortion, privatize my ballz, privatize privatization firms, privatize ron paul, privatize the ron paul revolution, privatize my balls, privatize ronni's balls!!

16. i do think the bomb plants is a little plan ripped out of the hollywood movies but i have to agree with Ron here. the TSA needs to go or change

17. I heard terrorists were gonna start using vodo. Oh no...

18. i am afraid that after 9/11 america does deserver a finger right up its ass...

19. How about we just get rid of the TSA. We dont need to privatize anything.. The word Private means what?

20. Surgical bomb implants? Are you fucking kidding me? No, I'm not buying it, and I'm not fucking worried about it. Don't let them pump you full of fear. This is fucking silly.