Ron Paul: Privatize Airport Security

Transcript

Megyn Kelly: Just when you thought airport security couldn’t get anymore unbearable, well guess what? Prepare for even more scrutiny now. The TSA warning that terrorists are seriously considering a new tactic, surgically implanting explosive devices. It could mean big changes in the screening procedures again and chances are, they won’t be less intrusive. Texas Republican Ron Paul is a presidential candidate, and he is introducing the American traveler dignity act saying we should completely replace the TSA with private security firms. Good morning or good afternoon I should say, Congressman. I’m used to saying good morning on Fox & Friends, sorry about that.

Ron Paul: Okay, good afternoon.

Megyn Kelly: So you are introducing this new plan to privatize, I guess what’s now known as the TSA. How would that make it better?

Ron Paul: Well it would make it efficient, there’s no history to show that government bureaucrats are ever more efficient than the private market. But there’s two different ways how you privatize something. If you just take the airport security and the government hires out private firms, that’s not for me privatization. That’s sort of a combination of big business and big government and that doesn’t solve the problem. The responsibility should be on the airlines, just as it’s on the responsibility of the owners of chemical plants and the owners of armored cars. They take charge of that and they do a very, very good job.

And the government was in charge of security before 9/11. They did a lousy job. They prohibited guns from being on airplane and they said “nobody should resist.” And so we set the stage for 9/11. So I want the owners to assume responsibility and the burden would be on the airlines and it would save the taxpayer an awful lot of money.

Megyn Kelly: So if I run an airline right now, tell me if I’m right or wrong. I don’t think I like this plan because what’s it going to cost me?

Ron Paul: Well that’s the reason we don’t have it. The airlines are in bed with the government, they’re partners with the government. They don’t want the liability and they don’t want the responsibility. But they should have it. Yes it’ll cost them money and you’ll have to pay for it with a higher ticket but you’ll pay lower taxes. But they’ll do a better job and it’s going to be so much more efficient. They’re not going to take X-rays of you in the nude, and they’re not going to prod and poke you. They’re not going to prod and poke little kids and 95-year-old women. They’re going to figure it out because they got to treat them like customers. So that’s all the difference in the world.

Megyn Kelly: But Congressman Paul, you’re on Capitol Hill. You know that there’s a lot of waste of taxpayer dollars. Are you just assuming that if we privatize this that all the tax dollars that were going to the TSA would suddenly be given back to us?

Ron Paul: Well it should be, you can’t assume anything with the politicians and the bureaucrats because they always figure out a way to keep it there, they’re endless and if they don’t get enough then they go to the Fed and they get the Fed to do their bailing out. So it’s outrageous, it’s totally out of control. But you have to make the effort; you have to make the suggestion, what is the alternative? If you can’t depend on government, whom should you depend on? I say depend on the market, private owners take much better care of the property than government has ever done.

Megyn Kelly: Well let me tell you about some of the enhanced security measures that are now going to apparently go into place with the TSA because of these reports about surgically implanted bombs from Al-Qaeda. Here it is: more behavior detection officers, more airport interviews and pat downs, in addition, in an effort to detect traces of explosives, passenger’s skin and clothing may be swabbed. Is that what you’re talking about?

Ron Paul: Well I think that’s an outrage I mean horrible, if the private airlines were doing it, they might have one sniff dog that knows something about explosives and that’s all you would need, you don’t need all this other stuff, no it’s going to cost a lot more money and I’ve said and I sincerely believe this, if the American people can look at these pictures on TV about what they do to 95-year-old women, what they do to little kids and the groping of the groins and if the American people say, “Oh that’s okay with me” I tell you what, we’re in a lot worse shape than I think we’re in. I think we’ve given up, if we accept that, we’re in bad trouble.

Megyn Kelly: Right, well, as you know the argument is that a lot of Americans are okay with that because they feel like in this day and age since 9/11 they might have to give up a liberty, I’m just saying that’s the other side of the equation here to keep everyone safe. Before you go, I got to get this question in though, if you privatize airport screening and security, how does profiling fit into that?

Ron Paul: Well they’re allowed to, because a private company has an obligation, if you don’t like the airline and they do too much profiling then you don’t fly on that airline. But today there are not a lot of profiles, so a 95-year-old woman get’s treated like a terrorist and somebody else who really looks like he could, that guy I might want to ask him two question, oh well, we can’t’ ask him as many question, matter of fact I even back off because he looks sort of suspicious. No, a private airline has a right to be suspicious and they can in a way, but if they overdo that they’re going to have a bad reputation and the customers are going to make sure that they hear about it.

Megyn Kelly: Very interesting. Let us know how your new plan, the American traveler dignity act, let us know if it’s successful or not. Congressman Ron Paul always great to see you. Thanks so much, have a good weekend.

1. Dude...I've worked in the Drilling industry since 2004 and my dad has been working since 1974 and now is a director of operations at a smaller production company...would I trust first-hand experience vs, at best, second-hand information? No I wouldn't...and I wouldn't think any other thinking person would either.
    I've worked in both Weld and Garfield counties...those film makers must have dug deep bc the farmers here use our surface cuttings to fertilize their fields, they love it

2. So law-abiding citizens with guns are liable to start shooting for no reason other than they are drunk? Come on...put some thought into your words before they become public.

3. I trust that I can count on businesses wanting to make money and part of that is keeping their customers alive and happy...I'm sure companies at a terminal can form a coalition of some sort(or a private 3rd party company)to protect their assets and reputations.
    I'm 100% sure companies can and would do an adequate job of protecting their livelihoods....which is getting people from point A to point B in a safe and timely manner.
    Sorry, I don't believe the story of 9/11....

4. I thinks its valuable for both protection and deterrent....come on now, different species? You can't be serious that you actually thought I might think that proper or even probable.
    I get the feeling that you are a thinking man so I will treat you as such, hopefully you will come to the same conclusion.
    But yes, mainly a militia which is why I say private, law-abiding citizens should be able to buy military equipment...it just comes with voluntary Militia conscription...

5. its so simple... the only reason there is so much security in airports is cause companies are afraid for their planes and not people. Lets take a "terrorist" that wants to blow up people, would he really try to get on a plane? i mean there are plenty better and easier and more effective places to blow up. any mall or sports game.....

6. I like Ron but i disagree on this matter. If airlines were left to sort out the security then they would cut corners trying to keep ticket prices down. Airport security is a national issue and needs a standardized method that is the same everywhere. You cannot let airlines take such a big responsibility into their hands. They would be incompetent.

7. what most people don't understand is that there is an optimal level of government debt which optimizes growth due to mitigation of shocks in the economy...

8. drjesusgallardo

OMG this guy is even more sane than I imagined, common sense + intelligence incarnated!!
    !

9. democratsaresmart

RON PAUL, WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR AN ANSWER! TELL AMERICAN PEOPLE HOW EXACTLY RU GOING TO CREATE JOBS? OK LETS SAY ALL TROOPS CAME BACK AND THEN WHAT? THEY ARE GOING TO SELL IPHONES AND BLACKBERRIES? DUDE BE A MEN, HOW RU GOING TO CREATE JOBS? POPULATION OF CHINA IS 1.4 B CHINESE WORK LIKE ROBOTS, BE HONEST TELL AMERICAN PEOPLE TO BUY UR BOOK U NEED CASH , U LOVE POWER, U LOVE CASH, U WILL NEVER CREATE JOBS, U HAVE NO ANSWER!

10. peaceliberty4all

A vote for Ron Paul, is a vote for America. Ron Paul 2012

11. What a load of shit

12. What a load of shot

13. What a load of shut

14. The last TRUE candidate for the people

15. this man is hope

16. this man is hope

17. President Ron Paul. Envision it. Believe it. Will it.

18. This sounds like a great plan. I'm liking this guy more and more.

19. He's a Natural Leader !

20. "The TSA warning that terrorists are seriously considering a new tactic: surgically implanting explosive devices"

I'm reminded of Animal Farm where Napoleon warns of some supposed sabotage by Snowball and, when there is a reaction at all, Boxer acknowledges, "Napoleon is always right."

Looking at an article by WP: Officials would not specify which terrorist organizations are thought to be considering this surgical tactic.

All of a sudden, I can't tell the pigs from the humans.

RP 2012