Ron Paul: Privatize Airport Security

Transcript

Megyn Kelly: Just when you thought airport security couldn’t get anymore unbearable, well guess what? Prepare for even more scrutiny now. The TSA warning that terrorists are seriously considering a new tactic, surgically implanting explosive devices. It could mean big changes in the screening procedures again and chances are, they won’t be less intrusive. Texas Republican Ron Paul is a presidential candidate, and he is introducing the American traveler dignity act saying we should completely replace the TSA with private security firms. Good morning or good afternoon I should say, Congressman. I’m used to saying good morning on Fox & Friends, sorry about that.

Ron Paul: Okay, good afternoon.

Megyn Kelly: So you are introducing this new plan to privatize, I guess what’s now known as the TSA. How would that make it better?

Ron Paul: Well it would make it efficient, there’s no history to show that government bureaucrats are ever more efficient than the private market. But there’s two different ways how you privatize something. If you just take the airport security and the government hires out private firms, that’s not for me privatization. That’s sort of a combination of big business and big government and that doesn’t solve the problem. The responsibility should be on the airlines, just as it’s on the responsibility of the owners of chemical plants and the owners of armored cars. They take charge of that and they do a very, very good job.

And the government was in charge of security before 9/11. They did a lousy job. They prohibited guns from being on airplane and they said “nobody should resist.” And so we set the stage for 9/11. So I want the owners to assume responsibility and the burden would be on the airlines and it would save the taxpayer an awful lot of money.

Megyn Kelly: So if I run an airline right now, tell me if I’m right or wrong. I don’t think I like this plan because what’s it going to cost me?

Ron Paul: Well that’s the reason we don’t have it. The airlines are in bed with the government, they’re partners with the government. They don’t want the liability and they don’t want the responsibility. But they should have it. Yes it’ll cost them money and you’ll have to pay for it with a higher ticket but you’ll pay lower taxes. But they’ll do a better job and it’s going to be so much more efficient. They’re not going to take X-rays of you in the nude, and they’re not going to prod and poke you. They’re not going to prod and poke little kids and 95-year-old women. They’re going to figure it out because they got to treat them like customers. So that’s all the difference in the world.

Megyn Kelly: But Congressman Paul, you’re on Capitol Hill. You know that there’s a lot of waste of taxpayer dollars. Are you just assuming that if we privatize this that all the tax dollars that were going to the TSA would suddenly be given back to us?

Ron Paul: Well it should be, you can’t assume anything with the politicians and the bureaucrats because they always figure out a way to keep it there, they’re endless and if they don’t get enough then they go to the Fed and they get the Fed to do their bailing out. So it’s outrageous, it’s totally out of control. But you have to make the effort; you have to make the suggestion, what is the alternative? If you can’t depend on government, whom should you depend on? I say depend on the market, private owners take much better care of the property than government has ever done.

Megyn Kelly: Well let me tell you about some of the enhanced security measures that are now going to apparently go into place with the TSA because of these reports about surgically implanted bombs from Al-Qaeda. Here it is: more behavior detection officers, more airport interviews and pat downs, in addition, in an effort to detect traces of explosives, passenger’s skin and clothing may be swabbed. Is that what you’re talking about?

Ron Paul: Well I think that’s an outrage I mean horrible, if the private airlines were doing it, they might have one sniff dog that knows something about explosives and that’s all you would need, you don’t need all this other stuff, no it’s going to cost a lot more money and I’ve said and I sincerely believe this, if the American people can look at these pictures on TV about what they do to 95-year-old women, what they do to little kids and the groping of the groins and if the American people say, “Oh that’s okay with me” I tell you what, we’re in a lot worse shape than I think we’re in. I think we’ve given up, if we accept that, we’re in bad trouble.

Megyn Kelly: Right, well, as you know the argument is that a lot of Americans are okay with that because they feel like in this day and age since 9/11 they might have to give up a liberty, I’m just saying that’s the other side of the equation here to keep everyone safe. Before you go, I got to get this question in though, if you privatize airport screening and security, how does profiling fit into that?

Ron Paul: Well they’re allowed to, because a private company has an obligation, if you don’t like the airline and they do too much profiling then you don’t fly on that airline. But today there are not a lot of profiles, so a 95-year-old woman get’s treated like a terrorist and somebody else who really looks like he could, that guy I might want to ask him two question, oh well, we can’t’ ask him as many question, matter of fact I even back off because he looks sort of suspicious. No, a private airline has a right to be suspicious and they can in a way, but if they overdo that they’re going to have a bad reputation and the customers are going to make sure that they hear about it.

Megyn Kelly: Very interesting. Let us know how your new plan, the American traveler dignity act, let us know if it’s successful or not. Congressman Ron Paul always great to see you. Thanks so much, have a good weekend.

1. The liars in control won't allow it.

2. Why do Americans love tolerating shit? How much are we gonna put up with before we finally say no? Enough is enough already. I'm hoping Ron does win. But he might not anyway, because the others won't let him win, but that might not have been Ron's intention. He might not have planned on winning, because he real intention might be to stir up the public and wake them up and we would fight our own battles to liberate ourselves, so that might be his plan.

3. JudgeNapolitanoFTW

I remember hearing Alex Jones saying they were going to fear monger "surgically implanted bombs" YEARS AGO! THese things are scripted!

Hopefully someone in congress will have the balls to stand with Ron Paul on This.

4. omg when ron rolls his eyes lolololololololol

5. Dr. Paul.
    The real deal.
    The Genuine Article.
    Megarespect.
    Wake up Americanzzz-
    STOP THE MADNESS
    RON PAUL REVOLUTION
    2012
    God Bless and Keep.
    LIBERTY

6. Ron Paul money bomb on July 19th. Please donate if you can.

7. ready for cavity searches??!!

8. Your 3 times more likely to be involved in a bank robbery than to be in a terrorist attack. So should the TSA pat down people when the enter banks?

9. whiskeyhotelpapa

I am with Ron Paul 100%

10. It never occurred to me but Ron Paul has made me think. I don't fly.... EVER, so why am I paying for pat down & airport security? I feel so much safer with them molesting babies & grandmothers.

11. I would think that the airlines would be lobbying for the privatization of security. Don't they realize that many Americans are not flying - because of the TSA! I'm one of them!

Also, as Washington is reportedly working (LOL) on dealing with its out-of-control debt, privatizing airport security would cut 100% of the money currently being spent on TSA and their despicable and questionable policies.

Ron Paul is so sensible! I wonder when all Americans will wake up, listen and comprehend him!

12. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu last week approved the confiscation of private Palestinian land in the Palestinian village of Karyut in the Occupied West Bank for Israeli settlement activity. The move is the first of its kind in three years and the first during Netanyahu’s current term. The confiscation breaks the terms of the agreement with the United States not to confiscate land for settlement expansion

13. Lets apply NOT profiling to me hiking and my goal is to snap a picture of a bear... I saw bears however I came home with only pictures of flowers, trees and a cat. Hmm, whats that old saying, looks like a duck, sounds like a duck.. "GOV what do you think?" "Well can't be a duck (I hope they don't think I'm.. racist!)" How can we NOT profile?????? Intelligent observations.

14. Juggaloserialeater

can you elabarote on what you mean by we cant stop suspicous looking men? what like musilims and brown people?

15. littlebluebird3

I think it's funny how people just throw their liberties away because of 9/11.
    There are like 10 9/11's happening every year by car accidents. Now Imagine cancer and other diseases. There isn't a war on car accidents, or disease. Nope. But there's a war on terror. Terror? lol We're fighting terror. Seriously, how silly does that sound?

16. So Al Queda has access to dr's who can surgicaly implant bombs in thier people, we would be really screwed. FUCK THE TSA!!!! Fuck those clowns in costumes. Have a special place in hell for them.

17. To be clear, I agree that airlines in combination with state and local law enforcement should carryout common sense security at airports but that can only happen with a strong support for litigation as a recourse and a real world discussion about 9/11. If you accept that 2 buildings were hit in New York and 3 fell due to an open jet fuel fire and the other fell due to a subsequent paper fire and though a plane hit the pentagon there was no damage from the wings....then the TSA will never go away

18. Nice to know that the champion on individual rights agrees with a company engaging in collective profiling and at the same time advocates "tort reform" as if the guy with scissors sown in him is somehow the problem. I guess this philosophy of limiting civil legal recourse would extend to the airlines if they saw large profit losses as a result of lawsuits.

• huh?
      Ron Paul's position is to have STATEs manage tort claims, and NOT the Feds putting liability caps on malpractice.

As far as the company going with profiling, you don't have to fly with them. Go fly with some other company who chooses not to profile.
      Right now you have no choice, you are molested by the TSA no matter who you fly with.

19. Profit motive does not equal quality. It equals efficiency in spite of service. A business seeking profit will do as much as the customer allows...and the language of disagreement is not verbal...it is legal in the form of law suits.

20. when that woman asked about the tsa funding being given back to us after it is abolished, i was thinking "bitch! i would PAY to not have the tsa groping me"!