Ron Paul: Privatize Airport Security

Megyn Kelly: Just when you thought airport security couldn’t get anymore unbearable, well guess what? Prepare for even more scrutiny now. The TSA warning that terrorists are seriously considering a new tactic, surgically implanting explosive devices. It could mean big changes in the screening procedures again and chances are, they won’t be less intrusive. Texas Republican Ron Paul is a presidential candidate, and he is introducing the American traveler dignity act saying we should completely replace the TSA with private security firms. Good morning or good afternoon I should say, Congressman. I’m used to saying good morning on Fox & Friends, sorry about that.

Ron Paul: Okay, good afternoon.

Megyn Kelly: So you are introducing this new plan to privatize, I guess what’s now known as the TSA. How would that make it better?

Ron Paul: Well it would make it efficient, there’s no history to show that government bureaucrats are ever more efficient than the private market. But there’s two different ways how you privatize something. If you just take the airport security and the government hires out private firms, that’s not for me privatization. That’s sort of a combination of big business and big government and that doesn’t solve the problem. The responsibility should be on the airlines, just as it’s on the responsibility of the owners of chemical plants and the owners of armored cars. They take charge of that and they do a very, very good job.

And the government was in charge of security before 9/11. They did a lousy job. They prohibited guns from being on airplane and they said “nobody should resist.” And so we set the stage for 9/11. So I want the owners to assume responsibility and the burden would be on the airlines and it would save the taxpayer an awful lot of money.

Megyn Kelly: So if I run an airline right now, tell me if I’m right or wrong. I don’t think I like this plan because what’s it going to cost me?

Ron Paul: Well that’s the reason we don’t have it. The airlines are in bed with the government, they’re partners with the government. They don’t want the liability and they don’t want the responsibility. But they should have it. Yes it’ll cost them money and you’ll have to pay for it with a higher ticket but you’ll pay lower taxes. But they’ll do a better job and it’s going to be so much more efficient. They’re not going to take X-rays of you in the nude, and they’re not going to prod and poke you. They’re not going to prod and poke little kids and 95-year-old women. They’re going to figure it out because they got to treat them like customers. So that’s all the difference in the world.

Megyn Kelly: But Congressman Paul, you’re on Capitol Hill. You know that there’s a lot of waste of taxpayer dollars. Are you just assuming that if we privatize this that all the tax dollars that were going to the TSA would suddenly be given back to us?

Ron Paul: Well it should be, you can’t assume anything with the politicians and the bureaucrats because they always figure out a way to keep it there, they’re endless and if they don’t get enough then they go to the Fed and they get the Fed to do their bailing out. So it’s outrageous, it’s totally out of control. But you have to make the effort; you have to make the suggestion, what is the alternative? If you can’t depend on government, whom should you depend on? I say depend on the market, private owners take much better care of the property than government has ever done.

Megyn Kelly: Well let me tell you about some of the enhanced security measures that are now going to apparently go into place with the TSA because of these reports about surgically implanted bombs from Al-Qaeda. Here it is: more behavior detection officers, more airport interviews and pat downs, in addition, in an effort to detect traces of explosives, passenger’s skin and clothing may be swabbed. Is that what you’re talking about?

Ron Paul: Well I think that’s an outrage I mean horrible, if the private airlines were doing it, they might have one sniff dog that knows something about explosives and that’s all you would need, you don’t need all this other stuff, no it’s going to cost a lot more money and I’ve said and I sincerely believe this, if the American people can look at these pictures on TV about what they do to 95-year-old women, what they do to little kids and the groping of the groins and if the American people say, “Oh that’s okay with me” I tell you what, we’re in a lot worse shape than I think we’re in. I think we’ve given up, if we accept that, we’re in bad trouble.

Megyn Kelly: Right, well, as you know the argument is that a lot of Americans are okay with that because they feel like in this day and age since 9/11 they might have to give up a liberty, I’m just saying that’s the other side of the equation here to keep everyone safe. Before you go, I got to get this question in though, if you privatize airport screening and security, how does profiling fit into that?

Ron Paul: Well they’re allowed to, because a private company has an obligation, if you don’t like the airline and they do too much profiling then you don’t fly on that airline. But today there are not a lot of profiles, so a 95-year-old woman get’s treated like a terrorist and somebody else who really looks like he could, that guy I might want to ask him two question, oh well, we can’t’ ask him as many question, matter of fact I even back off because he looks sort of suspicious. No, a private airline has a right to be suspicious and they can in a way, but if they overdo that they’re going to have a bad reputation and the customers are going to make sure that they hear about it.

Megyn Kelly: Very interesting. Let us know how your new plan, the American traveler dignity act, let us know if it’s successful or not. Congressman Ron Paul always great to see you. Thanks so much, have a good weekend.

• katsfanman

This is not me but a very smart young person ! (I’m 14 and I taught myself politics because of Ron Paul. I’m going to tell my parents to vote for him. I’m going to tell my friends to tell their parents. I’m going to grow up to become a true American Politician that defends the rights and liberty of the people through the constitution. Go Ron Paul!)

(this is a reprint of a comment) God Bless the children and Ron Paul

• senses2000

You cannot surgically implant without killing yourself or being in some serious pain. I don’t care what pain killer they give you, you will be in pain. They just want to make a law to make you pass through sperm killing radiation. If you have sperm then you are a terrorist. These people are just an extension of the FED!!! End the FED and all the government imposed terrorism will go away within a few years.

• ZzJuanzZ

Apathy = The American Way!

• MadXMax187

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” ~ Benjamin Franklin

• MadXMax187

Why should we trust ANYTHING the TSA has to say? Ron Paul is right, he doesn’t want to “privatize the TSA” but allow the airline companies provide for their own security (like they used to).

• DarkReapersGrim

One of the Founding Fathers, Benjamin Franklin (also attributed to Thomas Jefferson) said, “those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.” I genuinely believe that the majority of Americans are too stupid to live. Put aside the manipulative puppet masters working from behind the scenes (corporations, politicians, lobby groups, etc), the general American population have allowed themselves to willingly trade one for the other. Just kill off these Americans, and let us live.

• GreenLantern501

7 people like getting questioned and being thoroughly searched at airport security…

• mbv41

“Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

• StinkFingerr

All passengers must be locked in little airplane cells with full shackles. To save spsce they can be standing room only facing backwards. No lights in the cells would enhance security. Naturally safety belts would be installed according to FAA regulations.

• uturniaphobic

this is going to sound nuts but since the search and pat downs are part of the agreement we enter when buying the ticket that service IS an airport liability. it IS part of THEIR service. they are obliged to keep it in place.

• thrummer1953

There is only one solution.
    All travelers must be stripped nude & put on a conveyer belt where they will be systematically swabbed examined anally & vaginally probed with a proctoscope X-rayed MRIed and then placed in a paper gown with a headbag & adult diaper & strapped in a full restraint chair which will then be loaded on the aircraft with a forklift.
    For the sake of diversity mostly Arabs should conduct these procedures.

• pchcruzer

What a Bitch…

• NerdyBashir2K11

Do the terrorists just call america and tell them their plans? I am so confused, and wish the news actually put sources for everything they said.

• 4evaFranyify

I’m 14 and I taught myself politics because of Ron Paul. I’m telling my parents to vote for him and I’m telling my friends to tell their parents. And I wanna become a politician that defends the constitution and liberty just like Ron Paul!

• MrWizenBud

“Let us know if you are successful with your new plan.” ????

What… you don’t work for a News Outlet ? Oh $hit…. what am I saying ? You work for Fox… of course you don’t.

• JGH8sDaDebunkerz

There might be 100 Al-Ciada left… there’s 320 million Americans WHY THE FUCK are we giving up all our liberties when the government demanded all the “hijackers” pass threw the visa section when they were flagged terrorist, then trained at our bases, NORAD stand down, blah blah blah this is a fucking joke and its sad how disconnected & uninformed the American people have become

• JoshuasRevenge

you give up liberty for security, you don’t deserve none of both.

I think this is the first time i have seen these two together and she wasnt trolling him.maybe the media is starting to see the light?Goo news is RP came out on top of the NH straw poll lets keep it goin!!!!Pray for Ron and GOD BLESS AMERICA!

• goodbyetroll

• davincij15

Give up liberty for security eh? Well we are getting neither and losing both. I wonder if anyone warned us?