Ron Paul: Cut Foreign Aid, Unshackle Israel, Leave Iran Alone

Transcript

News Anchor: Well, the candidates last night did not just focus on President Obama or the economy. Listen to this exchange when Rick Santorum and Congressman Ron Paul mixed it up over Iran.

Ron Paul: Here we are building up this case just like we did with Iraq; build up the war propaganda. There was no Al-Qaida in Iraq and they had nuclear weapons and we had to go in, I’m sure you supported that war as well. It’s time we quit this, it’s trillions of dollars we’re spending on these wars.

News Anchor: Republican presidential candidate and Texas Congressman Ron Paul joins us now. Congressman, I want to read you a quote from Charlie Cook, the noted author of the Cook Political Report. He writes about you in the National Journal today, “Perhaps only Ron Paul had no need to prove anything; he has always marched to the beat of his own drum and runs a campaign more about promoting his libertarian views than winning the White House.” How do you respond?

Ron Paul: Well, I think it’s a pretty good position because I think you should go for the person who has principles and believes in them. If you noticed last night, most of the other candidates were all challenged for their flip-flopping, and rightfully so, they should be challenged. But I was never given a question about flip-flopping because they know where I stand. But it is true, if you’re a philosophic candidate, it can be just philosophy. It just happens that the philosophy of this country is shifting, and it’s shifting in the direction of the constitution, limited government, a foreign policy that is different, balancing our budget, having sound money. So I would say it’s coming together, the philosophy is coming together with the political change. And we’ve talked about this even 4 years ago, it was coined as a revolution, and it is an intellectual revolution, and I’m proud to be very much a part of it.

News Anchor: Our viewers ask better questions than I do, so let me get right to some of them, talking about where you stand. Don Peterson in Hemet, California wants to know, “Where does Mr. Paul stand on Israel? He seems to have dodged the question everything he’s been asked.”

Ron Paul: I disagree with him, because I don’t. We should be friends with Israel, and I don’t think we do a very good job at it. But I don’t think giving money to our friends is the right thing to do. I’m against all foreign aid, and if we cut out all the foreign aid today we would cut out 7 times more foreign aid from the enemies of Israel. But I wouldn’t give foreign aid to Israel. I want Israel to have their own national sovereignty. I don’t want them to depend on us either for the money which socializes their economy and they’re in financial trouble as well, and I don’t want them to depend on us to tell them how to draw up their peace treaties or what to do with their borders. So yes, we should have friendship with them, we should trade with them, but total dependence on United States and on our money is a bad risk for them because we’re in bankruptcy. We’re not going to be there forever, we are going to come home and I think their dependency on us is very, very harmful to them.

News Anchor: This question comes from John in Amana, Iowa and it relates to that argument that you got into with Senator Santorum: “When Iran has a nuclear weapon,” he asks, “and attacks Israel with it, how will President Paul respond?”

Ron Paul: Well, Israel has 300 of them, so you think Iran is going to attack them with a weapon that they don’t have? And our own CIA says that there is no concrete evidence that they’re actually building on it. So we are going to turn the world upside down and attack Iran because someday they might have a nuclear weapon. And yet our leaders talked to the Chinese as well as the Soviets when they had thousands and thousands of nuclear weapons. I don’t think it makes any sense to take on Iran and fight them, and that’s essentially what some people want to do, they say that we have to have another war. Even Robert Gates after getting out of the position of Secretary of Defense is saying, “Anybody who thinks we need another war needs their head examined.” And that’s the way I feel about it. The Iranians are a third-world nation, they don’t have an army or a navy of any sort, they don’t have intercontinental ballistic missiles, and a country that has all that oil in their country and they can’t even produce enough gasoline and they have to depend on importing gasoline, and we’re supposed to build up war fever and go to war over this? I don’t think for a minute that if they got those weapons, they would dare think about attacking Israel. Israel would take care of them, especially if they had no restraints from us, they would take care of them in minutes; it’s not going to happen, it’s all war propaganda.

News Anchor: Alright, on that topic, a writer named “Political Tool” says, “Here’s a question for Ron Paul; does he really believe letting Iran develop a nuke is okay? His isolationist ideas are fantasy.” Your response?

Ron Paul: I’m not an isolationist, I’m a free-trader. The isolationist are the ones who won’t even trade with Cuba, and they’re the ones who want to put on sanctions, they want to isolate these countries and they always use sanctions. So I think that’s wrong, our founders advised us that we trade with people and be friends with as many as are willing to accept our friendship. And we’re doing the opposite, we get involved in these entangling alliances, we go to war under NATO and the United Nations. And, like I said, there are nuclear weapons all over place over there. If you’re an Iranian, I’m sure you would say, “Oh, it’s in our best interest, we ought to gain some respect because if we have a weapon, maybe they might not attack us.” But they’re surrounded by nuclear weapons; Israel, India, Pakistan, China, United States, Russia; they all have these nuclear weapons and they barely think about it. When they try to enrich for peaceful purposes, they get condemned for it. So yes, there’s a lot of bad people over there, there’s a lot of violent people around the world, but believe me, the Iranians don’t have a tradition of sending troops and invading countries 6000 miles from their shores and occupying another country. Matter of fact, they’re pretty respectful of their borders and the wars they got into in the 1980s was because we instigated the Iraqis to go into Iran. So I would say a good assessment of that would give you a better appreciation of their position.

News Anchor: Alright, Congressman, we have time for a couple more questions.

1. NefariousEquivocator

4 Jewish terrorist disliked this video

• THERE ARE NO "JEWISH TERRORISTS"!!! ~ IDIOT!

Show me ONE Jew that has ever strapped on a suicide bomb!

There are no Jewish terrorist organizations, like Hamas, al Qaeda, or Hezbollah!

The ONLY time Palestinian terrorists get hurt is when they ATTACK Israel!

Israel has the God Given Right to defend herself against islam!!!

• THERE ARE NO "JEWISH TERRORISTS"!!! ~ IDIOT!

Show me ONE Jew that has ever strapped on a suicide bomb!

The ONLY time Palestinian terrorists get hurt is when they ATTACK Israel!

Israel has the God Given Right to defend herself against islam!!!

2. Ron Paul sounds like he has arrived through a tme tunnel. He speaks so refreshingly and is soooo awake to our dilemma. He is the intellectual superior of all other canidates. May God protect him from the evil that has a strangle hold on our government and the people of America.

3. Ron Paul OWWWWNS these fucking lying Jews.

Your bullshit is wearing thin Jew hucksters.

4. ron paul is so informed and smart

5. Ron Paul just another american loser ...vote Ru Paul instead lol

6. Let's not "F" anybody, folks. Let's be friends with others, trade with them. If I want to buy a Cuban cigar or a Persian rug I should have the freedom to do so in spite of these isolationist neocons who would control my economic activity. Let's defend our own nation, make our nation durable, restore our prestige in the world, earn the respect of our would-be enemies, and LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Neocon wars are no way to do this. The best example of leadership is leadership by example.

7. Ron Paul is the new world order's worst nightmare. Love ya Ron.

8. Im voting for him because he's not a nwo puppet and doesn't change his answers to please certain groups.

9. GO RON PAUL,I love this man

10. Let Iran and Israel nuke each other off of the face of the Earth. It’s not like either of these countries are making the world a better place, and it seems like Israel is more important to American politicians than America.

11. he's got me! when he said stop all foreign aid i fell in love

12. I see why people identify so much with Ron Paul. Go Ron paul you are the best!

13. as an Israeli, I'm with Ron Paul on this.

Why Iran won't use a nuclear weapon?
    1. Using a weapon like that against Israel will yield extremely high number of Arab \ Lebanese \ Syrian \ Jordanian \ Palestinian casualties, in the millions range probably. This is a problem for Ahmadinejad.
    2. The land will be uninhabitable for decades if not centuries (e.g. Chernobyl). Thus it will not help the Palestinians in any way.
    3. The chance of ICBMs actually reaching Israel is low, thanks to Arrow.
    4. Even if Israel will get hit, the Air Force and Navy will still be able to launch a nuclear counter-strike, destroying Iran.
    5. Various related issues makes an Iran strike much more difficult, such as the international community, Iran's inner stability & economy, etc.

Why US funding is bad?
    Well, that's a simple one. Because just like we (the Israeli taxpayers) wouldn't want our money to fund US operations in Afghanistan, we wouldn't want the US taxpayers to fund IDF's operations here. No reason for us to take their money.

Greetings from Israel.

14. Wow. the NWO (Rothschild) think Americans are brainless. Ron is a brave man. The Americans, along with other countries, is fighting and under the bondage from the NWO. Keep it up!

15. The only man talks of all american heart . all others playing with words to buy
    vote . go for it Mr. Paul . some times I wounder if all other politaion are realy American !!!!

16. They say Iran is a threat but if you actually look up the Samson option Israel is threatening to nuke EUROPE. They are the real terrorists not Iran

17. Israel gets Billions of Dollars of American taxpayer money each year. Yet when an Israeli politician says jump our politicians say how high sir. It's a total fucking disgrace.Every single Republican running for the Presidency, except Ron Paul,say we should even give more money to Israel. The fact is Jews run our media, banks, industry and their first loyalty is Israel not America. PS. Not all Jews. But a majority.

18. Who has been doing all the killing since the end of WWII?! I guess if you want to become a president of this counrey you have to give a blank check to israel and attack whoever is a threat to it as if they don't have nukes!

19. Who has been doing all the killing since the end of WWII?! I guess if you want to become a president of this counrey you have to give a blank check to israel and attack whoever is a threat to it as if they don't have nukes!

20. Iran is not dangerous. WE are dangerous. From where I stand, Iran has every reason to seek a nuclear arsenal. Recent history has demonstrated in no uncertain terms that nations unfriendly to the US and its interest who don't have nukes get conquered; while nations who do have them, like North Korea, can tell us what to go do with ourselves.