Ron Paul’s Pro-Life Speech in Ames, Iowa

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Can you help us out and proofread the transcript while you watch the video? Go to our writeboard (password: prolife). Then click the “Edit this page” button to make changes. We check all writeboards daily and will update this post with your proofread transcript ASAP. Thanks!

Ron Paul: Thank you very much, thank you very much, it’s great to be here, looks like a very exciting day, and we’re delighted with the way things are going. The one thing about our campaign it’s been identified with one particular word and I’m very proud of it, we are identified with the cause of liberty. I’m convinced that liberty and an understanding of that and the constitution can bring us peace and prosperity. But today I’m going to emphasize something slightly different from just the cause of liberty because there is something that precedes liberty and that is life. I believe in a very limited role for government but the prime reason that government exists in a free society is to protect liberty but also to protect life and I mean all life.

Now I want to tell a very short story because time is short about how I came to be very strong right to life. When I was in medical school in the 1950s it was a non issue, it was assumed everybody was prolife and abortions weren’t to be done, in the 1960s as I was a medical resident studying at OB/GYN, the doctors in the medical centers were defying the law in doing abortions. This shook me up, one day I walked in to an operating room and they did a hysterectomy which is a caesarian section, lifted out a baby that was crying and breathing, they put in a bucket in the corner of the room and let it die and pretended nobody heard it. That was rather disturbing, but as I walked out of that room, because I was a student, an observer, I walked out of the room and walked down the corridor and a baby about the same size was born prematurely, and all of a sudden, 20 people, nurses and doctors all rushing around to save the baby’s life, which seemed very logical.

But my conclusion that very day is you cannot have relative value for life and deal with that, we cannot play God and make those decisions, all life is precious. If we are to defend liberty and allow people to spend the money as they want, go to the church that they want and run their lives as they please, you have to understand where that liberty and that life comes from, it does not come from the government, it comes from our creator. But there’s a lot of ways you can defend liberty, in many ways, in a personal way and an intellectual way, in a religious manner. But also as determined as I am to promote the cause of profile and making sure that governments don’t slip to defeating life and taking life. One of the most atrocious position this country could have and that is where government will come along and with force, the Armed Force or IRS and take money from people who strongly believe in prolife and commit abortions with that, that should be reversed.

Being prolife can be extended and pro-liberty even into all ages, yes it is good to be prolife and we must be prolife or you cannot be pro-liberty the way I understand it. But I also think it’s being strongly prolife if we work very hard to have a policy when those young people, those babies that are born, when they come of age, that their lives are just as precious and they are never required to fight in undeclared, unwinnable wars. I find it very difficult to protect liberty if you don’t truly understand what the Patriot Act is all about. I understand I was in Washington with a great concern on the day after or the day of 9/11, but the Patriot Act is an attack on our liberties and the Fourth Amendment, it does not solve the problems that we face, we cannot protect liberty by taking liberty away from the American people.

If you want to think about the issue that comes about, if you get careless with protection of liberty, the Patriot Act along with the TSA just think of what is happening at our Airports. If we tolerate that type of interference with our liberties, I believe that we have to be pessimistic about the outcome of what we’re doing. But you cannot repeal the Fourth Amendment in order to say “Yes we can give up a little bit of our freedoms to be safe.” You never have to give up liberties to be safe. Foreign policy has been a big issue in our campaign because the country is tired of the war and we’re all so broke. The wars have been going on for 10 years, they’re undeclared, they’re fought under international banners NATO and United Nations and we don’t see an end to it, but it’s also costing us a lot of money, we’re into wars that are costing us trillions of dollars. Those trillions of dollars should have been left in the economy to build jobs and produce prosperity here at home.

One other symbolism of a failed foreign policy is what we did in Iraq, we went into Iraq, we were supposed to go into Iraq to get the Al Qaeda, there was no Al Qaeda. We went in there to get weapons of mass destruction, there were no weapons of mass destruction. Today one half of the Christians have been run out of Iraq, we have not done a good job and the Iraqi government and the Iraqi people now are closer to the Iranians than they have ever been. But symbolically I want to tell you what was done in Iraq, we built an embassy there, the embassy is big as the Vatican and just recently the DOD budget authorized the employment of 17,000 people to work in this embassy. That is not the way to achieve prosperity in this country.

But there is a lot that we must do to promote growth in this country, but you have to know why we have problems in this country, why do we have boom periods and bust periods? It is related to something very important if you want to understand economics and you want prosperity, you have to understand the monetary policy, you have to understand the mischief of the Federal Reserve System and we have to change it. In order to attract investments and attract capital into a country, you cannot have the weak currency. We inflate endlessly, which means we print too much money to pay for the debt that weakens the currency and it chases capital overseas, it goes to the stronger countries, now guess what? We’re the greatest debtor in the history of the world and guess what, we owe $1.4 trillion to China then we wonder why we have a problem. You have to have a strong currency, there’s nothing wrong with us reinstituting the constitution because it’s still on the books that only Gold and Silver can be legal tender.

Also you have to have the proper environment for companies to bring their money back home, you can’t have a company make money make money or park money overseas and then double tax them when they come back and charge them 35% again, that’s chasing capital away, that has to be changed and it would be a good idea for us to give serious consideration to get rid of all this income tax and corporate taxation. And of course with a strong currency and with a change of the tax system you also have to deal with the regulatory system. We have to shrink the size of the Federal Register, not constantly expanding the size of the Federal Register, we need to want less regulations not more regulation.

It is said that those of us who promote the free market system that we don’t care about regulating those ruthless big corporations, but just think of how the marketplace and sound economic policy and the constitution would regulate those companies and banks that are ripping us off, that’s the regulation that we have to have and we don’t need to be bailing out the big banks and the big corporation, dumping the debt on the American people causing the unemployment and causing the little guy to lose his house. The problems are very large, they’re very difficult, the solution is not complicated if you understand how we got into this mess. Basically we got into this mess because we have lost respect for our law of the land, the constitution and we have lost our enthusiasm for freedom that we ourselves can take better care of ourselves and to take care of money and our lives and our children’s education the works is done much better without the Federal Government down on our backs and in our wallets, it’s time we restored freedom to America.

And we have that opportunity, people are starting to recognize, people are accepting the argument that the economy is now in shambles, that there was a housing bubble and there’s been a collapse of the housing bubble. The American people now by a large majority are saying “We’ve been overseas too long, we don’t need an American empire, we need to defend our borders and forget about the borders in Afghanistan and Pakistan. It’s time to bring the troops home, there is no argument that is viable to say that we have to keep troops in South Korea, they’re been there since I was in high school, they’ve been in Japan since World War II, they’ve been in Germany since World War II, we’re flat out broke and we bring them home and let all the military people who come home to help protect our borders and let them spend the money here at home, we need a boost in the economy.

If we got in to this trouble by a lack of loyalty to our rule of law and our constitution, it is not all that difficult, all we have to do is restore the belief and freedom, restore the belief and what made America great, restore our conviction that the constitution works, it would take a while, but it might only take a year, we’re into the fourth year now of this recession, yes we got in this trouble by not having respect for the constitution, we can get out of this trouble by respecting the rule of law and sending only people to Washington who know and understand and will obey the constitution. Thank you very much.

• TheRealCadaver

for years*

• Oliver Newell

‘The primary role of government is to protect life, and I mean all life’, says Mr. Paul. Do you consider it the responsibility of the government to protect the plants and animals and ecosystems of our nation? It seems like you don’t b/c that would infringe on certain economic freedoms for people. Ecology and abortion seem to be the two issues on which I differ with Mr. Paul on policy. They’re big enough issues to really turn me off on his candidacy.

• Trevor Smith

I disagree with Ron Paul on some of his social stances as well, but it’s important to keep some things in mind. The message of Ron Paul’s campaign is overhaul of fiscal and foreign policy. Ron Paul is about reigning in the military and ending American imperialism, balancing the budget and paying off the debt, and ending the federal reserve. The message of his campaign is one that rocks the boat like no candidate I’ve ever seen, and so it’s a difficult one to put through. Because of this, it is important for Dr Paul to find common ground with his party wherever he can. Abortion is not a big issue for him. He doesn’t care and as president he’s not going to spend time and energy on the issue. Same thing with same-sex marriage. Do I think that a libertarian candidate should ideally defend these rights? Of course. (Less so with abortion, as the root question in that issue is what constitutes human life and that’s just tough to reasonably consider). However, I support Ron Paul making himself more viable as a candidate by sacrificing on lesser, social issues to avoid alienating more conservative voters. Ron Paul’s presidency will be defined by swift and powerful blows to the military-industrial complex as well as the Federal Reserve and the culture of public subsidizing of private interests, not by his stances on abortion and gay rights.

In short, I’m not republican and I’m with you on the social issues. I’m even a fan of the EPA. I think it should be made stronger rather than weaker, and I find no evidence to support the idea that people will take care of the environment if given the option. However, you won’t see any other viable republican candidate who is more in line with you on these issues, and you won’t find any viable opponents from any party who will share Dr Paul’s honest and logical stances on other, more important issues. These social issues aren’t unimportant, but they’re certainly not the MOST important either. Don’t be distracted by them with so much at stake in this election.

• Sandi

I can see where your coming from, but I think Mr. Paul’s point is that you cannot have liberty until you first have life. Plants cannot have liberty since they are not self-aware, and I’d say it’s a little more iffy with animals on how self-aware they are.

• Sandi

• bahona

Dr. Paul considers himself “pro-life”: he doesn’t approve of abortions, AND he is against wars of imperialist aggression AND he’s against the death penalty. He is not a hypocrite! Although I consider myself “pro-choice” (making abortions illegal is the first step in giving the Government control of our bodddies), I find Dr. Paul’s frankness and empathyvery refreshing.
    I agree that the best thing we can do to stop abortions “of convenience” is to guarantee that all Americans have personal freedom. Many people chose to abort in order to save their children from a life of slavery/indebtedness to the international banking cartel. The best way to end abortions is to end fiat money!!!
    End the FED, then we will end “abortions of convenience”.

• ROBLOXIANgordonrox24

I really like his economic policy, but can’t stand his social policies.

• http://trevordangersmith.wordpress.com Trevor Smith

Please see my reply to Oliver Newell just two posts above your own!

• MrLittlelawyer

-those supposed contradictions and atrocities I could show them wrong and I will admit a couple of them really tested me I wondered about it then looked a little more and found an answer! When you or I sit in a chair we have faith that the chair will hold us up not knowledge of it until we sit in the chair. I have tried reasoning there is the proof but if you won’t accept it then, your loss. You have now resorted to harsh words as your name says a lot of BS so I find no more importance to this.

• tanksbb

THE WORLD FOR RON PAUL!!!!!

• anonazero

AMEN BROTHER!

• kz888888

Dr Ron Paul is like Obi Wan Kenobi – our only hope.

• IronsidesX

Ron Paul needs and deserves full-time body-guards, because what Ron Paul’s agenda is, was the same type of agenda which got JFK assassinated undoubtedly by Secret-Service, FBI, and CIA.

• MrDiGiWiZ

Mr. Ron please come to Portugal.

• Tom Weiss

Let’s not fall into that group-think Liberals vs Conservatives thing. We are INDIVIDUALS, not groups.

• Steelfossil

Moronic politics right there.

• http://KeithEricson.com Keith Ericson

Liberty does not include the government removing a woman’s right to make decisions about her body. I support you and your efforts to restore liberty but I am not pro life.

• Truth

Dr. Paul – I implore you to stay away from religion and abortion or you’ll lose the reasonable, educated supporters you’ve gained over the past years. You speak the truth on many issues and I want to support you – the rest is personal opinion developed in the era in which you lived and well you know it. It will be difficult for me to convince other liberals to listen to your message if you start with discussions on life. Start and stick with liberty, it is your strong suit.

• http://n/a riptide

Mr. Paul definately realizes that abortion is the best friend of a totalitarian state. From Adolf Hitler to Barry Globama totalitarian leaders have embraced abortion. Just think how drastically this legalized government approved genocide has reduced the Christian (both white and african-american) population. While islam seeks world dominance; we voluntarily reduce our population………..go figure; you silly liberals!!!

GO RON GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MrLittlelawyer

But there has never been any scientific proof prove there never was or is.And yet the sheer complexity of the world would indicate that somebody did something not just spin the invisible wheel for years and years but instead there was a master creator.True there have been some changes in animals through out the years but monkeys have not turned into men before.Provable with what that there was no supernatural intervention. Provable with your senses!Men lose those senses so what proof is that?

• unite4peaceonearth

I’m an atheist and I support Ron Paul for president 2012!!!!!

• unite4peaceonearth

I’m an atheist and I support Ron Paul for president 2012!!!!!

• unite4peaceonearth

What’s the deal with the applause at the beginning and ending of thus video being muted…WTF?

• unite4peaceonearth

• Stu699

Can anyone tell me Ron Paul’s views on, say, abortion in the case of rape and other such nuanced issues when it comes to the abortion issue. Link if possible.