Ron Paul on the Government’s Use of Force

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. If you notice any errors please report them using the “Help improve this post” link at the bottom of this post.

Host: This week is the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, which coordinated the national relief effort in hurricane Irene’s wake. Texas Congressman and Republican presidential candidate, Ron Paul, is calling for the agency’s elimination. He said, “FEMA has one of the worst reputations for a bureaucracy ever. It’s the system of bureaucratic central economic planning which is a policy that is deeply flawed”. Now that statement drew attention, but it is utterly consistent with the Congressman’s libertarian philosophy. We spoke with Ron Paul earlier this week and asked him to explain that position.

Ron Paul: I got that impression from having lived on the Gulf Coast and having been a Congressman here for a long time, because if I add all the phone calls and all the work that I’ve had to do with all the agencies of government, FEMA has caused more problems than all the rest put together. And most of the time it’s the fact that when FEMA comes in and there’s a disaster, they interfere with the local people, the local people and the land owners can’t do what they want. And then when they’re promised payouts, they can’t get it, they can’t get their insurance, so we always have to go to bat for them. But I was opposed to it a long time before I knew it was so inefficient, that was when they introduced the notion that the federal government should guarantee this insurance because literally what that does is it eliminates the principle of insurance. Insurance is supposed to measure risk, and if the government takes care of it, there’s no more risk. Matter of fact, it encourages risk, it encourages the moral hazard. The people who like their beach houses are more likely to build there because they feel, “What the heck, you know, I can’t get my insurance, the tax payers will bail me out”. But the government doesn’t have any money, and matter of fact FEMA is broke, they’re about 20 billion dollars in debt. So if you add all that up, it doesn’t have a very good reputation and I think there are other ways in which we could handle these

Host: At first when you talked about insurance making it possible for people to build their beach houses back, I’m sure you’d agree we have to point out now there are a lot of people sitting on rubble in Vermont who never thought they had a beach house. Irene was a hurricane that spread widely beyond what would be, if I might refer to it this way, the traditional points of impact. And, in a way, isn’t that also part of the whole idea of getting the federal government involved, because these disasters don’t know state boundaries?

Ron Paul: Well, the question is why? Why does all of a sudden somebody in Vermont need to get insurance from you if you live in Alexandria? You haven’t been hurt. I mean, what is the moral principle there? I’ve lived in Texas for a long time and I’ve had a fair amount of damage and I call up my insurance agent. So people should have responsibility for themselves, their neighbors should help, the states should help, the communities should help, state guards should help. And you know under extreme circumstances, our military could surely have assistance in rescue operations, but they can’t if there over there fighting wars that shouldn’t be fought.

Host: So when you warn against foreign adventures in Iraq, Afghanistan, or Libya, you call those foreign adventures, that’s all a part of the same philosophy of when you say that FEMA is a bad idea?

Ron Paul: Yea, it’s all the use of force. A person who truly believes in liberty rejects the use of force to change people or mould people, change the economy or tell other countries how to live. So I apply the same principle down the line, I don’t want to force people. They have to follow laws, but the laws are that you can’t hurt other people and fortunately for me, the little bit of test we’ve had for that system, it’s been most prosperous system ever known to man. So I approach it as a humanitarian. I’m convinced to be a humanitarian you have to believe in property and free choices, both individually as well as for the marketplace.

Host: Mr. Paul, you announced last month that you’re going to retire from Congress when your term runs out in 2012. Of course, it’s possible you’ll be elected president, but are you in any way handing off your political name to your son, the Senator from Kentucky?

Ron Paul: Well, we’ve never talked about that at all. I mean, he’s very interested and his views and mine are pretty close. But he’s a pretty independent person and I’m sure he will continue. But I don’t think you can hand Rand off to anybody. I hope he continues to do what he is doing and I will probably be in or out of office or whatever because we believe that the principles of liberty are so important.

Host: You won a straw poll at the Republican leadership conference in New Orleans, you finished a close second in the Ames straw poll in Iowa, you’re raising money, may I, like the federal government, better than the federal government, perhaps at this point.

Ron Paul: We’re very solvent, I’ll tell you that. No debt in my campaigns.

Host: So how do you have an answer for people who say, “Yea, but he’ll never be President”?

Ron Paul: How do you know? I don’t know that for sure. Nobody knows what the future will bring, so I don’t worry about that. I’m running a race, I’m running hard and I know where the finish line is and we’ll see what happens.

Host: Republican presidential candidate, Congressman from Texas, Ron Paul, speaking with us from Clute, Texas. Thanks so much, sir.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

1. Damn right we'll see what happens. Media isn't giving him his due. It's up to us.

2. RON PAUL WILL WIN WITH YOUR VOTE!!!

3. Ron Paul 2012!!!!! There is no other.

4. Hats off to NPR for interviewing Ron Paul. Who needs Fox?

5. wish he could win. if he doesn't get republican nomination, I'm voting democrat out of spite for the republican party

6. I absolutely love and appreciate NPR for giving Ron paul coverage in a fair and balanced way.

7. wow he will win 2012 or we won't be free or have 2013......

8. not to mention see him on fox and other places doing satanic signs and freemaons handshakes search ron paul and alex jones are jesuits/ freemasons and see my points and how the politicians work4 corperations/ lobbiests/ military industrial complex hence why right and teaprty called my public options a socialistic plot? bundle deal like internet phone and cable but house power car and insurances too which keepcostsof nessitieslowwhichthey want to raise and have you pay max 4 thingsindividual

9. I almost cry when I listen to this man speak. Please vote for him. Common sense AND book smarts would benefit us all.

For FREEDOM, and down with the NWO.

10. Freedom TO Facsisim

Paid Trolls are spamming hateful and slanderous comments on all Ron Paul videos.. This just goes to show you how corrupt our government is … And how scared they are of Ron Paul because they know that if he is elected then he will Bring An END to there criminal organization. And attempted enslavement of the American people and SOON the whole world. Thru their corrupt banking system and Un Declared wars on the people of the world. This is much bigger than you and me this election will decide the fate of the planet. We had our “Time for Change” and look were its gotten us. To the brink of destruction!! Everybody who fell for that “FAKE MESSAGE OF CHANGE” and campaign of “Lies”, and “Broken Promises”,. ITS TIME TO REALLY FIGHT FOR YOU COUNTRY AND ELECT A MAN WHO THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA HAS IGNORED ..A MAN WHO WILL END THE FED AND BRING REAL CHANGE AND SAVE OUR ONCE POWERFUL COUNTRY!!!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

11. If you are angry at the media, for ignoring Ron Paul and the American people let them know!

FOX news room 212-301-5800

CNN news desk 404-827-2751

CNN news desk fax: 404-827-3368

We must make our voices heard, we can make a difference. Call and let them know we see what they are doing and there will be consequences, like not watching their sorry excuse for news. Join the Ron Paul Sign Bomb so that we can show them how much suport Ron Paul has. We need YOU!

12. viva Ron Paul!, un saludo amigos desde mexico, i wish to be american citizen to vote for him, or i wish he was mexican to vote for Ronaldo Pablo para presidente de Mexico, Ron Paul 2012! all the funking way!

13. 1 person on here did not see the merit in total liberty and freedom...Ron Paul is the man with the plan-- the entire world sees this! We have to get him in office...

14. Ron Paul in 2012!!!

15. Jess listenin to Dr Paul makes me way more smarter than I customarily am.

16. I wonder what the liberal lunatics turn of NPR when they have Ron Paul on.

17. The number 666 is biblical code for complete evil.
    As with the corporate takeover of Government Regulatory Agencies.

18. See the documenentries: Inside Job/ Food inc.

19. Man my I.Q always increase, when I hear Ron Paul

20. Don't matter what lamestream media says.
    This guy is a threat to cronies.
    The Elections Commision would shred ballots with Ron Paul votes than have him elected as POTUS.