Ron Paul on the Government’s Use of Force

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. If you notice any errors please report them using the “Help improve this post” link at the bottom of this post.

Host: This week is the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, which coordinated the national relief effort in hurricane Irene’s wake. Texas Congressman and Republican presidential candidate, Ron Paul, is calling for the agency’s elimination. He said, “FEMA has one of the worst reputations for a bureaucracy ever. It’s the system of bureaucratic central economic planning which is a policy that is deeply flawed”. Now that statement drew attention, but it is utterly consistent with the Congressman’s libertarian philosophy. We spoke with Ron Paul earlier this week and asked him to explain that position.

Ron Paul: I got that impression from having lived on the Gulf Coast and having been a Congressman here for a long time, because if I add all the phone calls and all the work that I’ve had to do with all the agencies of government, FEMA has caused more problems than all the rest put together. And most of the time it’s the fact that when FEMA comes in and there’s a disaster, they interfere with the local people, the local people and the land owners can’t do what they want. And then when they’re promised payouts, they can’t get it, they can’t get their insurance, so we always have to go to bat for them. But I was opposed to it a long time before I knew it was so inefficient, that was when they introduced the notion that the federal government should guarantee this insurance because literally what that does is it eliminates the principle of insurance. Insurance is supposed to measure risk, and if the government takes care of it, there’s no more risk. Matter of fact, it encourages risk, it encourages the moral hazard. The people who like their beach houses are more likely to build there because they feel, “What the heck, you know, I can’t get my insurance, the tax payers will bail me out”. But the government doesn’t have any money, and matter of fact FEMA is broke, they’re about 20 billion dollars in debt. So if you add all that up, it doesn’t have a very good reputation and I think there are other ways in which we could handle these

Host: At first when you talked about insurance making it possible for people to build their beach houses back, I’m sure you’d agree we have to point out now there are a lot of people sitting on rubble in Vermont who never thought they had a beach house. Irene was a hurricane that spread widely beyond what would be, if I might refer to it this way, the traditional points of impact. And, in a way, isn’t that also part of the whole idea of getting the federal government involved, because these disasters don’t know state boundaries?

Ron Paul: Well, the question is why? Why does all of a sudden somebody in Vermont need to get insurance from you if you live in Alexandria? You haven’t been hurt. I mean, what is the moral principle there? I’ve lived in Texas for a long time and I’ve had a fair amount of damage and I call up my insurance agent. So people should have responsibility for themselves, their neighbors should help, the states should help, the communities should help, state guards should help. And you know under extreme circumstances, our military could surely have assistance in rescue operations, but they can’t if there over there fighting wars that shouldn’t be fought.

Host: So when you warn against foreign adventures in Iraq, Afghanistan, or Libya, you call those foreign adventures, that’s all a part of the same philosophy of when you say that FEMA is a bad idea?

Ron Paul: Yea, it’s all the use of force. A person who truly believes in liberty rejects the use of force to change people or mould people, change the economy or tell other countries how to live. So I apply the same principle down the line, I don’t want to force people. They have to follow laws, but the laws are that you can’t hurt other people and fortunately for me, the little bit of test we’ve had for that system, it’s been most prosperous system ever known to man. So I approach it as a humanitarian. I’m convinced to be a humanitarian you have to believe in property and free choices, both individually as well as for the marketplace.

Host: Mr. Paul, you announced last month that you’re going to retire from Congress when your term runs out in 2012. Of course, it’s possible you’ll be elected president, but are you in any way handing off your political name to your son, the Senator from Kentucky?

Ron Paul: Well, we’ve never talked about that at all. I mean, he’s very interested and his views and mine are pretty close. But he’s a pretty independent person and I’m sure he will continue. But I don’t think you can hand Rand off to anybody. I hope he continues to do what he is doing and I will probably be in or out of office or whatever because we believe that the principles of liberty are so important.

Host: You won a straw poll at the Republican leadership conference in New Orleans, you finished a close second in the Ames straw poll in Iowa, you’re raising money, may I, like the federal government, better than the federal government, perhaps at this point.

Ron Paul: We’re very solvent, I’ll tell you that. No debt in my campaigns.

Host: So how do you have an answer for people who say, “Yea, but he’ll never be President”?

Ron Paul: How do you know? I don’t know that for sure. Nobody knows what the future will bring, so I don’t worry about that. I’m running a race, I’m running hard and I know where the finish line is and we’ll see what happens.

Host: Republican presidential candidate, Congressman from Texas, Ron Paul, speaking with us from Clute, Texas. Thanks so much, sir.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

1. Yes, can I help you??

2. If you are angry at the media, for ignoring Ron Paul and the American people let them know!

FOX news room 212-301-5800

CNN news desk 404-827-2751

CNN news desk fax: 404-827-3368

We must make our voices heard, we can make a difference. Call and let them know we see what they are doing and there will be consequences, like not watching their sorry excuse for news. Join the Ron Paul Sign Bomb so that we can show them how much suport Ron Paul has. We need YOU!

3. 1 – Google Ron Paul in 60 minutes petition

2 - Petition - CBS News 60 minutes - Get Ron Paul go to change.org

3 - sign the petition

4. Ok look you can’t tax the rich enough to pay for all the services that the poor people use. So the government prints more money to cover what they don’t have “hey why not tax em more then?” well if you tax them at 100 percent I still don’t think it would cover the cost, so what to do? print more money to cover what you don’t have and by default you lower the value of the dollar. Now how is this bad? well when bread costs 10 bucks everyone is fucked.

5. Ok look you can’t tax the rich enough to pay for all the services that the poor people use. So the government prints more money to cover what they don’t have “hey why not tax em more then?” well if you tax them at 100 percent I still don’t think it would cover the cost, so what to do? print more money to cover what you don’t have and by default you lower the value of the dollar. Now how is this bad? well when bread costs 10 bucks everyone is fucked.

6. LOL–kewlio–my truck driving bro is a Texan as well and proudly so–lol! As for me I was kinda like George Carlin in that I rarely voted if I didn’t think either candidate was worth it–LOL!!! That said, I tended to lean more left than right , albeit conservatively. This time my friend, you will see me going to the polls for the first time in years to happily cast my vote–even if he doesn’t win I would so feel it was worth it…but you are right–I think he can win it!

7. That’s the thing. We ALL need to get past this: “Ron Paul cannot win”, thing. We need to work to get his message out there, in the forefront, to make SURE that those (generally) who only vote for the name they know, best, WILL vote him in,
    The very worst future this country COULD have would be if Perry were (s)elected over anyone else (well, maybe Obama is as bad). We need someone like Paul and we need to ALL stick to our guns and NOT vote for whomever else seems popular!

8. That’s the thing. We ALL need to get past this: “Ron Paul cannot win”, thing. We need to work to get his message out there, in the forefront, to make SURE that those (generally) who only vote for the name they know, best, WILL vote him in,

9. That’s the thing. We ALL need to get past this: “Ron Paul cannot win”, thing. We need to work to get his message out there, in the forefront, to make SURE that those (generally) who only vote for the name they know, best, WILL vote him in,

10. I will vote for Ron Paul, even though I already know that corrupt government and big business will get THEIR man and things will continue according to the status quo. Everytime R.P. says that the National Guard is overseas fighting wars that should not be fought, I grieve because this is what the future will record when Yellowstone explodes (end 2013) and the N. G. are not here to help Americans. Thank you Ron Paul.

11. If you are angry at the media, for ignoring Ron Paul and the American people let them know!

FOX news room 212-301-5800

CNN news desk 404-827-2751

CNN news desk fax: 404-827-3368

12. He doesnt like idea of Corperations and wealthy paying more taxes which they pay hardly anything and wants to rid taxes for middle class and rid you all of the social programs that help the needy? Hence the real ones making the sacrafices are teh poverty struckin out of job lower classes who strive for nothing but to help the rich man stay rich? Ron paul part of the NWO for the control of the system false flag Green revolution like the rest of them and “Alternative media” and all that ?AJ=jesuit

13. “No debt in our campaigns.”
    Hahaha, i loved that part.

14. AustralianAllTheWay

This guy simply makes sense.
    Anyone not brainwashed by mainstream media can see this.

15. USA is collapsing. Eenemies surround it on all sides. A coup is playing out inside Washington DC with an agent of global conspiracy sleeping inside our White House. The last thing the USA needs now is the corruption, waste & stupidity of FEMA. I SUPPORT RON PAUL. I went online & bought RP gear.

Every day I battle online for him & go out wearing his name upon me, fairs, festivals, shopping, bike riding, cap & shirt on. The media lies about him. Dems are terrified. Will YOU support him too?

16. Huh, NPR posted this as “Ron Paul on the Government’s “Use of Force””

I guess its similar to how Austrian’s define inflation. We know the actual definition.

We can say governments methods don’t qualify as “using force”, but of course we all know government can only operate because it does use force.