172 responses to “Poll: Who Should Be Ron Paul’s Running Mate in 2012?”

1. ExLonghorn

I know this is going to sound completely off-the-wall nutso, but somebody like Jon Stossel would be interesting to me. He's possibly the most supremely rational member of the media that I've ever seen. Otherwise, Gary Johnson makes sense.

1. BlackSunshine84

@ExLonghorn

Idk...I was watching his show one night and he made this comment that he liked Ron Paul, but Ron Paul can't win, so I'm thinking Stossel is just another Dem shill.

1. JadenMorgan

yep, anyone that makes a claim like that has most certainly sold out to them @BlackSunshine84 @ExLonghorn

2. MarciaBacon

@BlackSunshine84@ExLonghorn I have to wonder if they know something we don't know, maybe just suspect, it's rigged. I'm writing in RPs name even if he is squeezed out of GOP. I don't trust media at all, but I do like Stossel.

2. OldschoolConservative

I totally agree..........PAT BUCHANAN!!!!...............Yea ...What a "DREAM TEAM" that would be......."REAL CONSERVATIVES"!!!!..............

3. Liberty

I would like to see Pat Buchanan as his running mate.

4. joe4liberty

For all of you who chose Andrew Napolitano, Dr. Paul needs to keep the good judge in his pocket for a Federal Court nomination... ne needs to pick a politician for running mate. Gary Johnson would be an obvious choice (since he's the only other contender who has views similaar to his own (even more pro-liberty in fact), but with Frm. Gov. Johnson's recent defection to the Libertarian party, I don't think that very likely at this point.

5. DavidMandel

Ron Paul will need to select a running mate who supports liberty and the constitution and is true to Dr. Paul's core beliefs; but who at the same time is not a clone of Ron Paul and can broaden the ticket's appeal.  If I was Ron Paul I would look for a Democratic governor or former governor who could bring strong administrative experience to the ticket and could appeal to independents and even Democrats who are disenchanted with President Obama.  I don't think anyone on the given list fits this description although people like Jon Huntsman, Colin Powell, and Dennis Kucinich have some of the right characteristics if they could sincerely promise to live within the constraints of a strict interpretation of the constitution.

1. JadenMorgan

nah, democrats and republicans are just 2 sides to the SAME coin. he just needs to pick someone that has the proper values. I too, would leave the judge out to reappoint. he needs to pick up Jesse Ventura. JV has is very smart, is based on principle and has a lot of fight in him @DavidMandel@page

6. Dennis Johnson

Al Lewis, from the Munsters, (Grand Pa) would be a great choice. He could make some more of the Kool Aid that you all have been drinking. LOL. What a bunch of Morons. Do you really think this Idiot Paul is going to get the nomination as the GOP choice for president ? And look at the choices you all are making for his VP. Bernie Sanders, Jessie Venture, Dennis Kucinch, Ralph Nader ? They all belong in the nut house with Paul and his supporters. I just love this site. Haven't had this good a laugh since this turd Paul, ran in the last election. LOL

1. MarciaBacon

@Dennis Johnson Well if he doesn't, you better start learning how to speak Chinese

7. jtmanon

Rand is a great guy, but we're not going to elect a father-son team. And we need him in the Senate.

Take a harder look at DeMint and Coburn -- we need these guys in the Senate, too, but at least they're not related! And they are experienced, clear-thinking leaders. Ultimately, though, let's focus on getting to where this will be a dilemma for us. Let's take over the Republican party with a Ron Paul nomination, and worry about a running mate later! Got some money-bombs, phone-from-homes and super-brochures to focus on for now!!!

8. BlackSunshine84

Why would anyone want Dr. Paul to run with Colin Powell? He supported 0bama in 2008 which pretty much means he has no political convictions.

9. brooklynboyzz

Nader would be knockout punch too

10. brooklynboyzz

What about bernie sanders eh?

1. fearlessreader

Agreed, Bernie Sanders would have a balancing influence during what will be a challenging transition back to Liberty. Paul-Sanders 2012 @brooklynboyzz

11. BlackSunshine84

I'd love to see Jesse Ventura up there with Dr. Paul, but I fear Their candidacy wouldn't be taken seriously, so my vote goes to Gary Johnson. I also like Andrew Napolitano, but it bothers me that he is a FOX News contributor. Their bias against Dr. Paul is obvious.

1. JadenMorgan

umm, Jesse Ventura was a governor that you know as well as I. no shame in being in a TV show that has woken many people up to truths... @BlackSunshine84

12. DeejayGabriel

I would love to see Jesse Ventura as Dr Paul running mate but,I don't think it will helped at all. The media would destroyed Ventura and call him anti-american Conspiracy theorist. We need a strong VP to help Dr Paul.

1. JadenMorgan

they are calling RP anti-american too just because they hate the Constitution and know that most people dont even know what a Consitutionalist is

RP / JV 2012 @DeejayGabriel

2. MarciaBacon

@DeejayGabriel I like him too, but I think RP would lose votes if he picked him.

13. Investormark

It is imperative to select the right running mate in this campaign, Ron Paul’s only allegiance is to the US Constitution, his only means of support comes from Americans who believe that Dr. Paul can reinstate the values, integrity, and the promise contained within that precious document. Rand Paul is the logical choice as a running mate based on his constitutional voting record, remember should anything happen to Ron Paul, his successor must be prepared to take up the mantle of the presidency.

1. JadenMorgan

that is his son. it would be too weird as someone already pointed out and also stated that they should stay in their position in the Senate and I completely agree @Investormark

2. MarciaBacon

@Investormark That was my thinking too, he's the only one I would think would carry the torch appropriately if something happened to RP and I'm afraid for him if he does get selected, I think they will try to kill him.

14. phillipe horvath

I feel Colin Powell is the right choice because he balances out Ron Paul. I think people know that Powell was set up by the Bush admin. to deliver their illegal "war". Both Paul and Powell seem to be straight forward, honest, authentic men. Powell would ease fears of military withdrawl from our bases around the world.

1. BlackSunshine84

@phillipe horvath

Collin Powell supported 0bama in 2008.

2. JadenMorgan

not to be disrespectful but you are out in the dark concerning some people. I am quite sure that he is bought out by the elite @phillipe horvath

3. fearlessreader

Colin Powell knowingly lied to the UN, and the World, for Bush Jr and his Ileagal War., I don't trust him now. @phillipe horvath

4. ExLonghorn

@phillipe horvath Paul was the only "no" vote on H.R. 180, the Darfur Accountability and Divestment Act of 2007 (passed House 418-1-13, not reported out of committee in the Senate), which would "require the identification of companies that conduct business operations in Sudan [and] prohibit United States Government contracts with such companies". Among the bill's findings were Colin Powell's Senate testimony that the Sudanese government and the Janjaweed militias it supported were responsible for genocide, and the observation that many Americans inadvertently invest in foreign companies which disproportionately benefit the Sudanese regime in Khartoum. Paul cited the past ineffectiveness of sanctions against Cuba and Iraq as evidence against divestment from businesses connected to the Sudanese government.

5. MarciaBacon

@phillipe horvath That might be a point of contention between them if he were vp

15. JenniferNie

Ron Paul is already an econimcs genius, So while I like Schiff, he needs to place in a differnt role where he can be most effective, Colin Powell is who please the voters accross the board and strngthen the ticket for Ron Paul. After giving it a little thought,, as I have been doing for few hours sice I took the poll, I feel Colin Powell is the one, If you agree, post it on Doug Weads Wall and Ron Pauls Wall so they get the message, I guess if you start to see lots of people say Colin first, then Tell Ron Paul. Jen

1. JadenMorgan

look up your affiliations... in order to fix the country you have to get rid of the corrupt and fill the positions with people that arent a part of the nwo agenda...

@JenniferNie

1. JenniferNie

@JadenMorgan@JenniferNie

Jaden, Some times some people may have been associated with an instance that ended up being controversial but if fact no wrong doing was tetermined. When you repond to people her, what is your purpose. I mean no disrespect, but I think you underestimate my knowledge and possibly others. What is your purpose? That is one one has to ake them selve. I left this forum long ago becuase it turned into a Bicker Fest of childish slams and back and forth. The converstaions seems to lose sight of the purpose.

1. JenniferNie

@JadenMorgan

The Purpose should be none other than to have Ron Paul be elected unless you are not for Ron Paul. Coming up with soulutions and Ideas that appeal to the whole spectrum of voters, or as many as possible will get Ron Paul elected as President. I am not singling you out, I appreciate your contribution, but from what I have seen in the past, if some would spend as much time doing Phone Banking for Ron Paul instead of visiting and slamming others, that would be so much more productive. I hope you will encourage others Jaden. Thanks Jen ;)

2. JenniferNie

@JadenMorgan

sorry for the typos, as I cut and paste, word are getting cut off. I think you are smart enought to fill in the blanks :)

3. JadenMorgan

you cant give someone a chance to dilute a system that we are trying to fix if their true colors have been shown. people have infiltrated our political system and they are what have put us in this mess in the first place @JenniferNie

16. JenniferNie

Colin Pwell would appeal to both Dems and Rpubs, I think he makes a stronger ticket, but I Like nader and Kucinich, I put Dennis on my list.

1. JenniferNie

Oopsie Colin Powell :)

2. JenniferNie

Oopsie Colin Powell :)

17. FreedomIsAbsolute

My picks from 1-7 are, The Judge(He strongly believes in freedom and wouldn't pull a LBJ. He also has great experiance,) Kucinich(Because he has the same foreign policy and hates the Fed Reserve and will appeal to Dems stealing votes from OhBombYa.) Buchannon(Don't know much about him, but do know he has a lot of views as Paul and well liked by a lot of older repubs.) Peter Schif(Because he knows his free market economics and predicted the economy.) Gary Johnson(Because he shares the same values, Makes 5th tho cus some might be afraid of 2 libertarians.) Lou Dobs (Because he is also well liked and has a huge following of older people in the news medium. One of the more trusted MSM) And Rand Paul last. I have him last because ppl may be apprehensive of having a father and soon presiding over the country. After all we won our freedom from a monarch and with the clintons and bushes it came pretty close to resorting back to one.

18. FreedomIsAbsolute

I feel like he needs to return the favor to Kentucky and wait to run in 2016. Also, beware of Mittens/Santorum/Bachmenn/Perry/Noot. They are all warmongers. Kennedy was far from a war monger and refused to invade Cuba and Veitnam, and with drawn the bay of pigs. This sturred up some contraversy in his administration. We all "know" Lee H Oswald killed kennedy, but once he did the warmonger LBJ got boosted to POTUS and went to war immediatly. We don't need that again. We need someone who shares the same principles as Paul in an event something catustrophic happens. They are well known to not share his intergrity/morals/or principles.

1. JadenMorgan

finally, someone know their history! it is good that a lot of people like Ron Paul but they need to study up and realize why he is the best. we cannot afford to win and then have more war mongerers in there. that is the whole point of taking back our country... @FreedomIsAbsolute

1. MarciaBacon

@JadenMorgan@FreedomIsAbsolute We have to replace as many as we can 2012, all those owned by the Federal Reserve.

19. Concernedme

Please monitor the Iowa poll station, ballet transport, and vote counting. Seems like fraud is possible. Better safe than sorry.

1. FreedomIsAbsolute

@Concernedme

Did you hear how they are moving the voter count to a private non-disclosed place? This seems fishy to me.

1. Concernedme

@FreedomIsAbsolute

yup they will forge it if they can. They have been acting like desperate idiots so far, and I believe they will stop at nothing. Not with IPAC, bankers, lobbyists, media, and the elitists behind them.

1. Madrigal

oh great, voter fraud already in the plans? they will do anything from having truth and liberty for the masses....sigh.....ron paul or bust

2. CharityFelice

@Madrigal

@Concernedme@FreedomIsAbsolute

Hey you three, didn't you see the post on the RP facebook site yesterday? RP specifically warns against this kind of thought, talk, and action. Let's keep level heads and a united voice by following the request and advice they offered there. Here's a copy & paste for the benefit of all: "IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN IOWA, the best way you can help our effort there is to make phone calls using the Phone-From-Home system and by donating. If you are considering traveling to Iowa to volunteer, I ask that you save the time and money you would've used on your trip to Iowa and to Phone-From-Home and/or to donate instead. Also, I ask that you NOT contact the Iowa GOP or attempt to act as an observer for the count on caucus night, as uncoordinated actions hurt our cause more than they help. My Campaign in Iowa has supporters on the IAGOP Central Committee, and it has a plan in place for observing the count. I am confident in the process, confident in their ability to monitor the election, and confident that the IAGOP will be fair and open. Any statements to the contrary are simply untrue. The grassroots enthusiasm is appreciated, but my campaign is doing very well with its on-the-ground efforts here. Again, the best way to help me win is to make phone calls that matter by using the Campaign's Phone-From-Home system and to give your most generous contribution." Ron Paul 2012.

20. 369Tesla

Dennis Kucinich or Nader would be great...but would never happen..dems and progressives would love it tho.

21. JenniferNie

Hi Spaniard,

Schiff, is a great economist, so as VP he could turn off a few, but he does have wuite a following. Judge Nap, never under estimate the Judge, he is a very smart guy and handles himself well on many topics. But neither would be my first choice even though I love the Judge. I really think if it were Possible Colin Powell is my 1st choice, that woould be the ideal ticket. Sarah next it Colin were to decline. Lets tell campaign we want Colen Powell!!! :) Look at Covilles line up below, match that up with Ron Paul and Colin Powell and the American Voters will be singing:)

22. JenniferNie

Hi David, Not sure who you meant on the Cliche-ish because you did not put the name, But we do both agree on Colin Powel. He is actaully my number one choice, because I think it would really appeal to voters accross the board because of his foreign credentials and that's why I had him on my list. Yes I like Dennis too. I put Sarah because I don't know if Colen Powel would take the position as he expressed he is no longer interested but you never know. If not Colen, Sarah would appeal. Lets all let the Campaign know we like Colin Powell for first choice VP, Its perfect now that we have discussed it :) Thanks David. I like Gary, but I think Ron Paul is much more appealing, Gary does not have enough umph for me, bey he might do great.

23. Azygous420

John Stossel should be the VP running with Ron Paul

24. Jake3000

Without a doubt. Dylan Ratigan! You do not become the mainstream moderator at CNBC without being extremly charismatic and Hip. Dylan is the most intelligant speaker I have ever heard and he also agrees with Ron Paul on every issue. YouTube Dylan Ratigan and you will quickly see that he will take Ron Paul mainstream overnight. If Dylan would accept Ron Paul would be very wise to annouce this. Dylan has an unreal ability to argue and points out corruption at every level from Bankers to Politicians. He also takes on Neo-cons. A Ron Paul/ Dylan Ratigan Ticket would not be upstoppable.

25. Port Patriot

Napolitano would be my first choice due to his libertarian views, intellect, and name recognition.

Gary Johnson second due to his libertarian views and his executive experience.

Alan West as a wild card due to his consevative views, military experience, and potential minority appeal.

26. coville

Peter Schiff should either be VP or Sec Treasury.

Judge Nap for Attorney General.

Jesse Ventura Sec State.

Norman Schwarzkopf for Sec Defense.

1. JenniferNie

@coville

I like your line up :) Colin Powell for VP or Sarah next. That woulod be perfect.

1. JadenMorgan

Jennifer. Sarah is a war mongerer. you know why the US is fighting a sustainable war on Terrorism? notice I said sustainable... we are not trying to win nor could we win that war. wars are waged to make the elites even more money. if you look close enough sometimes you can even catch the same entity financing both sides @JenniferNie @coville

1. JenniferNie

@JadenMorgan@coville

Tell me something I don;t already know re war. I would not say Sarah is a war wongerer at all. I think Cloin Pawell would be great, but it would be to controversial and not paletted by all parties. What many fail to take into consideration here is that we should give this very careful thought, mention anyone who is not on the list and share with the Campaign, Doug Weed FB or Ron Paul FB.

2. JenniferNie

@JadenMorgan@coville

The goal for All Ron Paul supporter should BE: To ensure Ron Paul wins, by selecting a VP that appeals to the whole spectrum of voters and not by picking some person that we Paul supporters admire. No insult intended, just hoping people will HELP by keeping the above in mind. Foreign Policy is one issue that some on the fencers are not comfortable with while liking everything else about Ron Paul. The VP that is chosen, could settle a little bit of that nervousness for them. You knnow I always tell people, look at your alternatives. (other people being On the Fencers, and then I try to educate them more on Ron Pauls Stance so they better understand it. I even ask people if RP had the right VP would you be more inclined to vote for him? and slo, who would you like to see him Paired with?

3. JenniferNie

@JadenMorgan@coville

They are very positive on this and it's like you can see their mind open and they talk about it. This is something that should really be focused on and anncounced sooner rather than later to give RP's camaign another boost forward. I had some people say they liked Ron Paul on all other issues except Foreign Policy, but when I practiced the above, I had many of those people say they liked Pat Buchanan and somebody else mentioned John Bolten, What was interesting is these people really perked up and were like "Yeah I could could probably vote for Ron Paul with that VP and feel ok aboutthe Foreign Policy. Others thought Colin Powell might be iffy, but if could fly, they really liked that Idea a lot. Thanks for your response. Jen

4. JenniferNie

@JadenMorgan@coville

Ps I will be no longer attending this discussion through livefyre. while I have met some good friends, I see that some good is accomplished here but the nonsense continues. Best to you all. Happy New Years!

Sincerely, Jen

27. masopotamia

Rand would be suicide.

Kucinich all the way!

28. DillonBanis

Dennis Kucinich would be a great gesture of "reaching across the aisle". Dr. Paul could beat Obama on his own (ironically, probably with more democrats on his side than republicans) but Kucinich's staunch social liberal standings would be nice to see in the White House. I'm curious as to why Lew Rockwell was listed, wasn't there quite a lot of speculation that he was the person who wrote the racist editorials in the Ron Paul Newsletter?

29. Angels444

Jesse Ventura! You get him in there with Ron Paul and you'll have the office in no time!

1. JadenMorgan

I agree. that would be a powerhouse @Angels444

30. JenniferNie

What the poll also tells us, is that of the current of the Ron Paul people who have voted, thei choice for VP was Huntsman, who is a current GOP candidate. I believe he got 7th ranking, and had the most voes of the GOP current candidates. I could see why some might chose him, I don;t think he is a bad choice, he just did not make my list. Given where he ranked in this poll, I hope this is in no way an indication that me have a few on the fencers in the house.

Have a good day.

Jen

1. DeejayGabriel

@JenniferNie Huntsman came out today saying Dr. Paul is unelectable...Colin Powell or Kucinich would be unstoppable

31. JonTK

If Ron Paul is as Constitutional as he claims, then he should eschew the idea of a running mate. The concept is totally unconstitutional. The Vice President is supposed to be a separate election, chosen by electors, and is not a "package deal" with the President.

If Ron Paul recognizes this and spurns the idea of a running mate, he will earn my everlasting respect.

1. JenniferNie

@JonTK

And if he doesn't? That is interesting you bring that up I am not familiar with that, but now that you have my curiosity up, I'll read up. I would assume you will be voting For Ron Paul as he is the absolute best! Thanks Jon

32. JenniferNie

This vote of 7 people we would pick for VP for Ron Paul, these is my thoughts,

The real questions are

1- who would you want to be president should somthing happen to Ron Paul, I alwasy look at this when I look at any Predential Candidate / VP combo

2- It needs to be someone who is very disciplined who can aline them selves with Ron Paul's values and not clash with him.

3- It also helps greatly if the VP choice is someone that Americans will Embrace along with Ron Paul.

1. JenniferNie

4- In the list we were given many choices, I wish we could have clicked in the order we would choose them, it would have given a more accurate picture, because the majority of us could have picked, Jessie Ventura, and that would make him look like second choice or second place. While the poll is interesting it is completely accurate in telling us who how they rank in order.

5- while I really admire and like many of the people listed, I do not think all Americans know of some of these people listed the way that myself Ron Paulo supporters do and I think that it would not add to Ron Paul's strength should he be the GOP nominee against Obama. Many say Rand Paul needs to be where he is at right now, becuase he can be more effective. I would like him as VP and would like as Prisident and if he was VP it would almost ensure no matter what Ron Paul's efforts would continue, but because I believe he can do well where he is and the fact that I am not sure if all of America will accept Paul/Paul combo, its probably not the best choice. I would pick Rand if I knew All of America would accept it.

1. JenniferNie

We have to consider what VP choice is all of the above and would be most appealing to Americans accross the board, to ensure victory agaisnt Obama. I am ok telling you who I picked, and you all can share back or not.

I picked 1 Sarah Palin 2, Colen Powell, 3 Peter Schiff, 4 Mike Huckabee, 5 Dennis Kucinich,

6 Andrew Napolitano, 7 Rand Paul. In that order. I like Jesse ventura and the Judge, but I don't know if that ticket will win the election, and while I would really like Rand to be my number one choice, I have to put him as 7th becuase of the reaons I mentioned. Of all of the people listed, I don't find any other candidates that I think will help throw RP over the top with voters. Even though I have nothing against them really. Jen

33. Len Mar

Schiff should be the Fed Head

34. DavidCharleston

Kucinich would be perfect. You use the slogan "from both sides" and then campaign around what they agree on...audit/fix the Federal Reserve, fix our foreign policy, champion civil rights/constitution

35. sixty7flh

well, ventura said he would NEVER be on a republican ticket. so get him off. there has to be some on there that are for our amusement? like bachman, gingrich,etc....

1. JadenMorgan

ya, JV did say that but he needs to change his mind because it is to benefit the good of our country. I wasnt amused by many of them on there either. I actually kind of gritted my teeth with anger @sixty7flh

1 2 3 4