Ron Paul: The American People Are With Me

72 Responses

Transcript

Jake Tapper: Let’s turn to Congressman Ron Paul. Many political observers say he’s on track to win in Iowa, but today, he’s back home in Texas. Congressman Paul, welcome, and happy new year.

Ron Paul: Thank you, it’s nice to be with you.

Jake Tapper: So your rivals have really started to unload on you on the home stretch, given your prominent perch in the polls. Newt Gingrich says your views are “Totally out of the mainstream of every decent American”. John Huntsman has a web ad calling you unelectable, citing a decade worth of newsletters published under your name containing bigoted statements against minorities. And even the Des Moines Register poll that shows you essentially tied for first with Mitt Romney, says that you are leading the pack in terms of who is least electable in a general election. This is a real area of vulnerability for you. How do you convince Republican voters that you are, in fact, electable against President Obama?

Ron Paul: Well, the whole thing is a contradiction in terms that I’m leading in the polls, and that means I’m electable. I’ve been elected 12 times in Texas when people get to know me. We’re doing well in the polls, our crowds are getting bigger and the people who are complaining are the ones who are way down in the polls. So they don’t have a whole lot of credibility about my electability. But, indeed, nobody can prove anything until we have a real election, and we’re going to have a real caucus vote, straw vote, on Tuesday night. That’s going to tell us a whole lot. And, matter of fact, our campaign feels pretty good about how things are going.

Jake Tapper: But certainly, Congressman, you would concede that some of your views, some of the principles you hold in terms of drug legalization or in terms of … I know you wouldn’t call it isolationism, but a non-interventionist foreign policy in the world. These are views that are not shared by a majority of Americans, and I think the concern among Republicans is once they are better known, that would hurt you.

Ron Paul: See, I think that’s where the contradiction is. Quite frankly, I don’t believe that statistic because I think the majority are with me. What percent want to come out of Afghanistan? It’s like 75%, 80%. How did George Bush win in the year 2000? He talked about a humble foreign policy, non-intervention, no nation building, no policing of the world. And Obama was seen as the peace candidate just 3 years ago. So I would say the American people are with me, more now than ever before. They’re with me on cutting spending. Nobody else is proposing cutting spending, I want to cut a trillion dollars out of the budget and I get support from all the Republicans on this. And I would say that it remains to be seen, but I feel very comfortable with the growing number of people that come out to our rallies, and the enthusiasm. I’ll tell you what, I think it’s a mistake if people want to write me off and say that I am not with the people. Matter of fact, it’s so appealing, that we get a lot of independents and a lot of Democrats coming to our rally. And that’s what you need in order to win elections. So I am pretty optimistic about what’s going on, and, of course, I’ve always been optimistic about the message of liberty and a constitutionally limited government. And I think it’s catching on, I think the people have come around to believing that the government fails in their efforts to do good. They want to be a good policeman of the world, they want to provide goods and houses to everybody. And look want happened to the housing bubble and look at the prolongation of these wars overseas. So people are now looking more carefully at a constitutional approach to government.

Jake Tapper: Alright, congressman, we have a lot of issues to discuss and only a few more minutes left. I do want to ask you about those newsletters published under your name in the 1980s and 1990s. In 1990s you defended them, in 2001 you said you did not write them. You now say you did not write them, you did not read them and you disavow them. So if you could give a straight answer on this, who wrote these newsletters and do you still associate with these people?

Ron Paul: Well, I think your assessment there is mixed up because the reporting has been bad. I wrote a part of the letter, I never said I didn’t. I wrote some of the economic parts. I was not the editor, I was the publisher. And there were some very bad sentences put in and I did not write those, I did not review them, and that was an error on my part. But I condemn them.

Jake Tapper: Who wrote them?

Ron Paul: I don’t know exactly who wrote them, I had 8 or 9 people working for me back then, and a lot of people wrote a lot of different things. So I’ve condemned them and did not write them and I’ve said this quite a few times. So I just don’t think that in itself is going to have long legs, because people who know me, know exactly what my thoughts are. People know everything about that in my district, it’s never been a big issue at all. And most importantly, on the issue of race relations, I’m the one that really addresses it. When we look at the drug war and the imprisonments and the court systems, the death penalty, the imbalance of the suffering of the minorities in our military, whether we have a draft or no draft. So I think the court system is very, very biased, whether it’s the issuance of death penalty … If you look at it, I’m the only one that’s talking about that. So I’m the true civil libertarian when it comes to this, and I think that people ought to look at my positions there rather than dwelling on eight sentences I didn’t write and didn’t authorize and have been apologetic about because it shouldn’t have been there, and it was terrible stuff.

Jake Tapper: Well, I think it’s more than 8 sentences, but moving on, one of your former close aides recently said that you “Engaged in conspiracy theories, including perhaps the 9/11 attacks were coordinated with the CIA and that the Bush Administration might have known about the attacks ahead of time”. So have you ever expressed in front of anyone …

Ron Paul: No, wait, wait, wait, don’t go any further than that, that’s complete nonsense. Just stop that.

Jake Tapper: It’s nonsense, it’s not true?

Ron Paul: No, I never bought into that stuff and I never talked about it. About the conspiracy of Bush knowing about this, common, common, let’s be reasonable, that’s just off the wall.

Jake Tapper: And then lastly on the newsletters, I just want to ask this: you published the For Profit Newsletter under your own name for decades and you didn’t know what it included extremely offensive statements. Assuming what you’re saying is 100% true, you did not see these sentences, doesn’t this call into question your management style?

Ron Paul: Well, I think so, but I don’t think anybody in the world has been perfect on the management of everybody that’s ever worked for them. So, yes, it’s a flaw, but I think it’s a human flaw, I think it’s probably shared by a lot more people than myself. Because when you’ve had hundreds of people over the years that have worked for you … and it’s happened even in big corporations and big newspapers or on TV stations. You can’t monitor everyone. Somebody on a TV station say something, but does the publisher get blamed for what the person says? So no, you can’t monitor every single thing. But it is a flaw and, of course, I admit that I’m an imperfect person and didn’t monitor that as well. But to paint my whole life on that is a gross distortion, because we have to remember I didn’t write them, I didn’t see them before that, and I have disavowed them. That, to me, is the most important thing. The only other thing that we should do, is you and others should look at all my other statements and my defense of civil liberties and race relations. Believe me, if anybody cared about it, all they have to do is go to the internet and the defense is honest and straightforward, and you will get an honest assessment of my views on race relations. And that’s all I ask for people to do, because I feel quite comfortable with myself. I know where the shortcomings were, but I’m very comfortable with my viewpoints, believing very sincerely those people who know me, know exactly where the defect is in race relations today. It’s in the judicial system where minorities are mistreated more so than anybody else.

Jake Tapper: Alright, Congressman and Dr. Ron Paul, we have to leave it there. Thank you so much, good luck on Tuesday and hope you have a great 2012.

Ron Paul: Thank you.

This is a rush transcript. If you notice any errors please report them using the “Help improve this post” link at the bottom of this post.

Processing your request, Please wait....

72 responses to “Ron Paul: The American People Are With Me”

1. jcaled24

……. except for Iowa… lol

2. aaronmoravek

I don’t want the federal reserve stealing my money by inflation, I want all civil liberties to do what I want when ever even if the scary terrorists will kill me, I don’t want to pay for others health care, laziness, corruption, oil wars, basically I want the government to do nearly nothing. I want a less complicated tax code(No income tax) I want a Kansas gold standard. If that was accomplished then maybe america would survive.

3. aaronmoravek

4. MsLadySoJuicyFresh

RON PAUL 2012!!! AMERICAN NEEDS YOU!! WE SUPPORT RON PAUL AND KNOW HE IS THE BEST CHOICE FOR OUR COUNTRY!!! RON PAUL 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. KaptKan1

God bless you for voting for Dr Paul, but I hope it’s based on better reasoning than you’ve exhibited thus far.
    RON PAUL for President in 2012!!!

6. KaptKan1

RON PAUL for President in 2012!!!

7. shippyshiphead

He has table envy. He has some closet round table, while Paul has a fancy desk. ;)

8. ednstead

Ron Paul schooled this robot!! 2012 here we come!

9. aaronmoravek

It’s funny to see you wildly jump to conclusions kaptkan1, I know about the military industrial complex, and the National Defense Authorization Act. It’s all bad and all designed to unequally distribute power in the U.S. government. But you will continue to jump to conclusions, and baselessly call other people names to get attention, but don’t worry I have plenty of time to feed the trolls. FYI these are among the many reasons Im voting for Ron Paul.

10. Ashit Wadhwani

CHANGE THE CONVERSATION !

Support Dr. ‘Sir’ RON PAUL 2012

Welfarism: Give Jack a fish and he wont go hungry today

Freedom: Teach Jack to fish, he will never go hungry!

*RON PAUL vs WRONG POLL* AMERICA vs MEDIA

FIGHT MEDIA BLACKOUT SPREAD RON’S ‘WHAT IF’ AND ‘IMAGINE’ SPEECH ON IPAD,IPOD

Check Nigel Farage vids taking EU govt. to task

Please vote on vids and comments, Your opinion matters!

Write on bills : IN RON WE TRUST ! END THE FED OR FEED THE END

Click like for ♥ RON PAUL ♥

11. DecendKnightsofmalta

the people of america??? no the politicians of america don’t agree, thats all.

12. DecendKnightsofmalta

the people of america??? no the politicians of america don’t agree, thats all.

13. captkirkconnell

The Media has spent over a Billion towards disburseing Ron Pauls message.
    Ron Paul keeps getting his message out. The Fed will have to buy the whole internet to keep control of the Nations News Policy. As more and more citizens trurn off the 6 oclock news report and get conected to alternate sources of NEWS.

14. captkirkconnell

The Media has spent over a Billion towards disburseing Ron Pauls message.

15. captkirkconnell

The Media has spent over a Billion towards disburseing Ron Pauls message.

16. TheFirestarter2011

they keep talking to him about something he didnt write to avoid talking to him about the REAL ISSUES, fuck the lamestream media

17. Tfortruth1

Oh, I’m plenty cheered up without any kind of delusion bro… it’s funny how often people use that word to insult while the simple act of insulting someone, to somehow make yourself look or feel better, is the real delusion. Just like a normal person would want to correct a child who mistakenly believes 2+2=5, it is just as tempting to correct someone else’ bold claim of incorrect, incomplete information. It’s fine, I get it… I won’t push anymore, you’re right, the answer is 5.

18. Schne Boll

It’s ok Tforthruth1, it’s ok. Not everyone wants to be or is as misguided as you. Cheer up, you still got your delusion of grandeur, ol’ buddy. :-)

19. Schneboll

20. ManNorthern

Pass this Photo on —= Ron Paul
    watch?v=CSX4A8wxSbA&feature=plcp&context=C3cdc614UDOEgsToPDskINTszp3LNdiluTdnR5qsNJ

21. ManNorthern

Pass this Photo on —= Ron Paul

22. John C.

true

23. DrRonPaul

true

24. KaptKan1

Let me ask YOU a few questions, Aaron: are you really as duplicitious as you seem? Why do you make excuses for partisan hatchet jobs? Do you support the wars the US govt is waging? Are you in favour of the military being able to detain American citizens without charges or civil trial rights?
    Hey, on 2nd thought, never mind: we already know the answers.
    Without scum like you, Hitler and Stalin would have got nowhere.

25. aaronmoravek

Reporters ask questions, Ron Paul got plenty of time to respond and wasn’t bullied and interrupted constantly. But your right the whole world i out to get you.

26. DreamDeeply37

Oh.my.gosh. When are they going to stop asking about the newsletters?! He’s already said MANY times that he PUBLISHED it. He had nothing to do with the editing! Would these people rather that he saved peoples lives and delivered babies or read through everything written in an article?

27. DreamDeeply37

28. DrRonPaul

Has anyone else noticed that these media interviewers just act like dickhead cops interrogating people?

29. DrRonPaul

30. vassquat

Dr Paul. Good job dealing with this guy. You do a great job with putting up with these bastards. We are behind you.

31. vassquat

32. jsiszero

5:30 …. talk about a last minute smear campaign… the mainstream media is getting very desperate.

33. MrGb1965

Deskplace – I think it was when he asked RP for a “straight” answer. Shameless on ABC’s part here.

34. cukester

The Globalist’s are nervous because if Paul gets elected the pillaging will have to stop.No more using America as there own private playground.

35. gicos

Three interviews, three attack pieces. Bravo, Dr. Paul. You handled yourself extremely well and likely increased your voter base with your answers. Someday, hopefully after Iowa, they’ll leave the newsletters alone. I’m tired of hearing about it, so I can only imagine how sick of it you are.

1. Thane Eichenauer

@gicos Like many unpleasant duties responding to questions the Ron Paul Newsletters are a chore and an opportunity. The media is always in thrall to using the race card to beat up candidates they disapprove of. Yet as long as Ron Paul can face the question he can obtain 10 free minutes of time that would otherwise be wasted on another candidate.

2. Thane Eichenauer

@gicos Like many unpleasant duties responding to questions about the Ron Paul Newsletters are a chore and an opportunity. The media is always in thrall to using the race card to beat up candidates they disapprove of. Yet as long as Ron Paul can face the question he can obtain 10 free minutes of time that would otherwise be wasted on another candidate.