Ron Paul: Obama’s Christmas “Gift” Threatens American Families

by Ron Paul

Last week, as most Americans were celebrating the holidays with family and friends, the Obama Administration announced plans to seek yet another debt ceiling increase in the New Year. While some fiscal conservatives will try to block this increase, their efforts are designed to fail thanks to the procedure set up by the last debt ceiling negotiations. Congress would have to pass a joint resolution opposing the increase, which the president could simply veto. Thus, an additional $1.2 trillion on top of our already unsustainable debt is a foregone conclusion. Our Gross Domestic Product continues to contract and now stands at $14.5 trillion. The debt already far exceeds that and will soon hit the new ceiling of $16.39 trillion.

Everyone in DC acknowledges that the debt is unsustainable, yet few are willing to take serious steps toward addressing it. Politicians in Washington cannot face the fact that the blank checks must stop. Many think we can ignore the mounting debts and deficits and eventually the economy will magically turn around and grow its way out of the mess. If you really understand why the economy is foundering, you understand the burden cannot all be put on the backs of the American people while politicians stick their heads in the sand.

According to a USA Today analysis, there are currently over $61.6 trillion in unfunded future government liabilities, which amounts to $528,000 per American household. A huge part of these liabilities are Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security – promises made to make the American people feel secure in their futures. But how secure should the American people feel knowing that a default is becoming more mathematically unavoidable with every NEW program added, every bailout, every debt ceiling increase, every new war we rush into, and every round of quantitative easing from the Federal Reserve? The last thing politicians should be doing is adding to that $528,000 household burden, with either more spending or more taxes. This is unequivocally a problem of too much spending by a government far outside its Constitutional bounds.

It is especially a slap in the face to the American family when the Federal Reserve dilutes the dollars we work for in order to bail out profligate banks and governments in Europe. The already perilous state of our economy and our currency should not be further endangered in a futile attempt to save the Euro. The least the government can do is allow Americans a choice in how to actually secure their financial futures that doesn’t depend on a sinking dollar and irresponsible government. My competing currency bill allows for that and I will continue to fight for economic freedom from foolish and selfish whims of the central bank.

It is nothing new for Washington to kick economic pain down the road. Optimistic politicians hope things will stay cobbled together just long enough to get through another election cycle, or that another administration will have to deal with the mess. The longer this cowardly attitude prevails, the bigger the problems become. Congress and the administration should exercise some good judgment, some political courage, and make the needed budgetary changes now. It would not be that difficult to do if Washington would simply work its way back to the Constitution instead of straying even further from it.

1. Obama was campaigning on "Change" & now, u have the House & Senate going n different directions. The Reps dont like Paul.

He has some good ideas & is looney n others. Thats all we need now with the House going right, the Senate going left & who knows where Pauls going. He has all of these teenie boppers following him who havent even learned 2 figure out their own life yet & they want him to run the country. SNL couldnt write a better script. Its not just hilarious is pretty fuckin scary.

2. Joey- I agree that most people don't even begin to research the information that informs their positions and opinion. For instance I tried to tell a friend about the NDAA bill and how it would affect our rights and civil liberties, and he flat out didn't believe me. His opinion was that the government wouldn't do that.

By the same token, I'm voting for the person I think will make the best president (which in my opinion is Ron Paul). I'm not voting Republican so the current Democrat doesn't get re-elected. If Ron Paul isn't on the presidential ballot, I'll write his name in. The way I see it is that all of the other contenders are all ready bought and paid for, and that absolutely nothing will change for the better if any one of them gets elected. Outside of a possible Libertarian candidate (who will have no chance to get elected in the two party scam the establishment has going), the only possible candidate that will make a change for the better that's running in either of the two major parties is Ron Paul. It's sad that that's the case, but I sincerely believe it.

3. Joey- I agree that most people don't even begin to research the information that informs their positions and opinion. For instance I tried to tell a friend about the NDAA bill and how it would affect our rights and civil liberties, and he flat out didn't believe me. His opinion was that the government wouldn't do that.

4. That's because Youtube is being watched closely by so called "BIG BROTHER" the ELITE EVIL ONES and they don't want the truth and someone who is GOOD & Decent like RON PAUL to win. Ron Paul is exposing all the garbage, evilness and corruptness that is in the WhiteHouse and the Gov't.....Mainstream Media News do it all the time...they bash him and hold back on the truth that Ron Paul speaks!

ways of the gov't and allthe unneccessary wars and all the spending of our tax dollars and all

5. Three people support terrorism.

6. Three people support terrorism.

7. Mr. Paul, is it true that you would abolish the EPA if elected? If the answer is yes you will have my vote in 2012. More importantly, do you know how the American father suffers under the tyranny of the child support system abuses? This issue must be adressed. Men are committing suicide because of the corruption in the courts and enslavement of the childrens fathers. Imprisoned without due process or a trial to extort the fathers family. I have the proof. Please help us !!!!!!

8. Mr. Paul, is it true that you would abolish the EPA if elected? If the answer is yes you will have my vote in 2012. More importantly, do you know how the American father suffers under the tyranny of the child support system abuses? This issue must be adressed. Men are committing suicide because of the corruption in the courts and enslavement of the childrens fathers. Imprisoned without due process or a trial to extort the fathers family. I have the proof. Please help us !!!!!!

9. Can someone get this guy a better mic... that is all..

10. Can someone get this guy a better mic... that is all..

11. RON PAUL 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. RON PAUL 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. The more the boob-tube tries to shut down RP,
    the MORE MONEY I WILL DONATE.
    I got another $50 burning a hole in my fucking pocket.
    Maybe by the next bomb it will turn into $100.

14. The more the boob-tube tries to shut down RP,
    the MORE MONEY I WILL DONATE.
    I got another $50 burning a hole in my fucking pocket.
    Maybe by the next bomb it will turn into $100.

15. Ah ok. I didn't no that. thank you for the information. I will remember it in the future. :)

16. Youtube has an Agenda! They are not on Ron Paul's side ;) They don't want people to watch his video's... they just turn off the view counter.

17. He must have gotting a truck load of banana for signing that toilet paper.

18. He must have gotting a truck load of banana for signing that toilet paper.

19. BREAKING NEWS! - The Drudge Report is having its own caucuses and at the moment over 120,000 people have voted within 30 minutes! So far the results are PAUL 29% ROMNEY 25% SANTORUM 18% - Please thumbs up this comment to help get the word out. Go Vote!

20. BREAKING NEWS! - The Drudge Report is having its own caucuses and at the moment over 120,000 people have voted within 30 minutes! So far the results are PAUL 29% ROMNEY 25% SANTORUM 18% - Please thumbs up this comment to help get the word out. Go Vote!