Ron Paul: In Praise of Private Charity

by Ron Paul

One of the great fallacies of our time is that if government doesn’t do something, no one will. Its corollary is that if you are opposed to the government doing something, that you are opposed to anyone performing that function at all. These disastrous fallacies color much of our national debate concerning heath care, education, poverty, housing, and disaster relief, and other issues.

This Easter season, I would like to applaud an organization that proves just how much private charity can accomplish without government mandates or intrusion. Convoy of Hope, based in Springfield, Missouri is equal parts grocer, clothier, heath care provider, first responder, educator, and logistics expert. It works with communities across America and around the world, bringing together other local charities, businesses, churches, and government agencies to alleviate poverty and help people in the wake of disasters. The tremendous scope of its activities serves as a reminder that government is neither the sole, nor the best, provider of goods and services to people in need.

Convoy of Hope was founded by Hal and David Donaldson in 1994, who, as young boys suffered the death of their father and subsequent poverty. Both men were struck by the outpouring of support their family received during that time from local churches and the community. As a result, the two brothers developed a deep sense of responsibility to helping others in need. Convoy of Hope has since helped more than 50 million individuals in more than 100 countries– giving away nearly $300 million worth of food and supplies in the process.

They typically spend only about 10% of their budget on overhead while employing a small staff of approximately 85 people. Watchdog group Charity Navigator consistently gives Convoy of Hope high marks for both its financial acumen and transparency.

Convoy of Hope also stretches its resources by developing strategic partnerships with private sector corporations, including Coca Cola, Nestle, Procter & Gamble, Georgia Pacific, Cargill, Del Monte, and FedEx. These corporate donors donate everything from building supplies to bottled water to toiletries. Its massive distribution center and headquarters are centrally located in Missouri, where its fleet of trucks can dispatch quickly to any location in America. It also operates six international distribution centers for logistical efficiency.

The next step for Convoy of Hope is an audacious one: a 50 state tour beginning in May designed to address poverty across the United States. The “Convoy of Hope Tour” will provide an average of $1 million in goods and services to a community in a single day. Convoy of Hope’s fleet of 18 wheel trucks will roll through every state, providing a wide variety of goods and practical services to those in need, including groceries, job counseling, clothing, dental care, breast cancer screenings, haircuts, family portraits, children’s activities, as well as prayer and connections with local churches.

Convoy of Hope is doing tremendous work on behalf of mankind. I wish everyone at Convoy of Hope great success with their upcoming tour. It’s hard to imagine a government agency operating as efficiently, as nimbly, or as cheerfully as Convoy of Hope. I truly believe it should serve as a model for private, voluntary, nongovernmental solutions to poverty and disaster relief in our communities.

1. Is this a relative talk
    (I recently had the privilege of touring Convoy of Hope’s headquarters and distribution center. It was a humbling but encouraging experience. Frankly, I’ve never seen an organization so focused, efficient, and poised to do so much good for so many people.)

2. I used to work at a charity. I love them. They are great. There is certainly a place for them. But the idea that they could take care of millions of poor is just not true. My former place of work was two stories tall. They had one office.You are telling me they could replace the GOVERNMENT?! The all powerful American government? The government of the most powerful, wealthiest nation on the globe?

3. I view something genuinely special in this site.

4. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return.

5. There are actually lots of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great level to carry up. I provide the thoughts above as basic inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you deliver up where crucial thing will probably be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged round issues like that, but I'm positive that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each girls and boys really feel the impression of just a second’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

6. Wohh precisely what I wanted, thankyou for placing. Arguments are generally like fire-arms which a man may keep in your own home but should not carry regarding with him or her. by Samuel Butler.

7. Hello Jackson, if you are a new internet user after that you have to pay a visit daily this web page and read the updated posts at here.

8. Khmer Karaoke Superstars My spouse and i was suggested this excellent website by my own cousin. I am not sure whether this particular post is authored by him since nobody different know such detailed about my difficulty. You are perfect! Thanks! your post about Khmer Karaoke Stars Best regards Craig Nick

9. Organizations like this need a lot more coverage, but unfortunately we all know how the media is.
    Ron Paul for President 2012!

10. I am Canadian, but I HATE CANADIANS - MOST DISHONEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.

11. I'd probably be one of the first of my countrymen to say that we live in a heavily corrupt system here in Canada.

I think crashto81 was basically saying he as a Canadian supports Ron Paul, I don't think he indicated in that comment that Canada has a better system of government.

I hope all countries embrace the majority of ideas Ron Paul has espoused through the many years he's been involved in politics.

We are all at the mercy of the choices made in the next few years, by everyone on Earth.

12. The country that doesnt allow one to access a doctor without government approval.

13. CANADA FOR RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT
    end the corruption, end the lies, end media blackballing of the ony man NOT OUT TO START WARS
    get back to your constitution, and stand behind the only one interested in upholding its values
    romney, gingritch, obama all have no problems lying to get approval, and when they get hands on power, what happens?
    their campaign promises mean nothing, and you are all at their mercy
    understand your constitution, then you will have your president :)
    keep it up Dr Paul

14. Answer the question

which side are you on WHAT WOULD YOU DO FIRST

Ron Paul bankrupt the USA and end our civil rights replaced with 1 world currency

or

SALARY CAP THE RICH AND HEAVY FAIR TAXES THAT WOULD RESTORE OUR ECONOMY AND PAY OFF OUR NATIONAL DEBT

only for the super rich

why does the government have the right to take your home your land to make room for a road or a mall and they only give you bottom value

the government should do the same to wealth ( national security)

15. everyone please try to donate to the ron paul money we need to reach 2.5 million