Ron Paul: Founders Would Be Horrified by Pro-Obamacare Legislators

by Ron Paul

Last week President Obama made some rather shocking comments at a press conference regarding the Supreme Court’s deliberation on the constitutionality of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare. His comments belie a grasp of constitutional concepts so lacking that perhaps the University of Chicago Law School should offer a refund to any students “taught” constitutional law by then-Professor Obama!

He said, “Ultimately, I’m confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress.” It almost sounds as if he believes the test of constitutionally is whether a majority approves of the bill, as opposed to whether the legislation lies within one of the express powers of the federal government. In fact, the very design of the Constitution, with power split amongst two branches of the legislature which write the laws, an executive who administers the laws, and an independent judiciary which resolves disputes regarding meaning of the laws, was designed to thwart popular will and preserve liberty.

President Obama continued in his comments, “For years, what we’ve heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism or a lack of judicial restraint, that an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted and passed law. Well, there’s a good example, and I’m pretty confident that this court will recognize that and not take that step.”

President Obama seems to misunderstand that the criticism of an activist judiciary is not that it is overturning unconstitutional federal laws, but instead that it is usurping the authority to intervene in areas, such as abortion, where the Constitution reserves authority to the states. In fact, upholding clearly unconstitutional laws such as Obamacare because the justices bowed to the “will of the people” or believed the individual mandate was good social policy could be considered an example of judicial activism.

The founders never intended the judiciary to have the last word on whether or not a law is constitutional. The judiciary is equal to the Congress and the President, not superior. Representatives, senators, presidents, and judges all have an independent duty to determine a law’s constitutionality. The founders would be horrified by the attitude of many lawmakers that they can pass whatever laws they want and federal judges will then determine whether or not the law is constitutional.

Additionally, state governments have the authority to protect their citizens from federal laws that threaten liberty. If the Supreme Court rules that Obamacare is constitutional, I hope state legislators will exercise their powers to pass legislation allowing their citizens to opt-out of the national health care plan.

Unfortunately, even many of my colleagues who correctly argue Obamacare’s unconstitutionality support the President when he asserts the power to send troops into battle without a declaration of war, or have citizens indefinitely detained and even assassinated on little more than his own authority. Other of my colleagues not only cheer the unconstitutional monstrosity of Obamacare, but support the President’s actions to defy the Senate’s appointment powers, and legislate by executive order.

Even worse, some members will only challenge a President’s unconstitutional actions if the President is from a different political party. The defeat of Obamacare in the courts would provide a stark reminder that the limits of government are set by the Constitution, not the will of the President, Congress, or even the Supreme Court. However, the victory would be short lived as long as the legislative branch refuses to do its duty to abide by the Constitutional limits and exercises its powers to ensure the other two branches do likewise.

1. Im not going 4 him but stil good video :)

2. Obama is a failure on so many levels. His complete lack of knowledge regarding the constitution and how government SHOULD work is yet another failure. But it may also explain why he's messed up in so many other areas too.

3. No he wouldn't. He didn't believe in the executive branch of office having that much power, read your won statement dude. You said said "State Funded", not federal. If a state wants to have free healthcare that is there business but it is not the job of the federal government to provide such things or require citizens to buy it.

4. I am just getting tired of constantly having to justify Ron Paul,The Statesman. Ron Paul has more Integrity and Character than all the politicians put together, in hell where they belong.
    I just want to hear my Ron Paul Victory Music with a Ron Paul Victory.I can't wait to play "TIME" by Hans Zimmer when there is a Paul Victory. "TIME" is that soundtrack music in the movie "Inception",when "Cobb"-- Leo DiCaprio-- and his team have realized that the mission is a success and "Cobb" (Leo) gets to come home to America and see his kids. I will work tirelessly until we all can hear this music in its rightful context,A Ron Paul Victory.

5. wanna bet? I'll take whatever odds you want

6. Racist Paul 2012

7. Lol how can you assume what political party if any I am a part of? Economics books are not entirely truthful. I have been through many courses in college and read my fair share about all of politics. I think all of it is a joke. Biased bigots like yourself make the world what it is today.

8. You're right. I shouldn't make blanket statements like that. However, a small handful of men that run the American facade government are responsible for acts more atrocious than Hitler in my opinion. And the vast majority of Americans are ignorant of these atrocities. In my opinion, ignorance is no excuse. We must sympathize with those we terrorize. Otherwise, (lol at the rhyming) we are hypocritical idiots who think inferior of those who are different. No smarter than monkeys throwing shit.

9. It is very hard for me to follow Dr. Paul's words because he uses so many words in every sentence that I don't understand. (thats only for clips like this.. I understand everything he is about which all boils up to liberty) ... but it is very hard for me to ''understand'' him in videos like this
    Dr. Paul, I'm a 19 year old male from mississippi. I consider myself a cold hearted male. I never cry. I'm a ''country boy'' to the extreme...But when I see/hear you speak ... tears roll down my cheek

10. buy an economics book, read it, then feel stupid.

lol, you republicans and your lack of mental filter make me laugh.

11. we need to get a mass human gathering at the convention.

12. You have my sincerest condolences for whatever it is that you're so frustrated about. If you think you might be having a stroke, please seek medical attention.

13. i'm not sure that if your pretty much Stupid or Hypocritical. The libertarian party you Stupid Ignorant Fool had all never ever won a Presidency not in years your the one thats a Huge Threat you are a Huge Threat to this whole Society you and other Ron paul supporters you and them are nothing but Trouble Makers, get back to me when you and them have all of your Full Common Senses all together.

14. Still condescending me, huh? I'm w/ you but please stop talking down to me like i am an apprentice. or a child.

15. Glad to have that straightened out

16. Consumer and Gov spending? Gov wastes money to make our monetary system. People buy stupid things but they don't spend money to make something that is worth less than the money they spent making it. Only the Gov does. Keep showing how unintelligent you are. Even a 5 year old could have read your comment, then read mine, and understood the topic. Waste of time is the time spent trying to explain things to your inferior mind. Cannot comprehend the simplest of things.

17. Ron Paul or none at all!

18. Read, learn, debate, discuss the issues, build confidence in who you are as a Ron Paul supporter. I have. But to simply jump onto the Ron Paul bandwagon and react, is simply not good enough.
    The Obama team will slaughter us if we don't pull our socks up and build self esteem together. They're good. DAMN GOOD, because of fear on their side. And when you mention kissing butts I really do despair. You can do better than this. I know you can !

19. Which private company will record and report votes for the 2012 election? (SCYTL) The theme for this year is going to be about election fraud. It won't matter who you vote for because the result will be the same, obama.

20. Yes, agreed. I was looking more at the macro level and gave too stern a response.The monopolies will always rebuild again by their stealth winning ways only to make the situation worse by government intervention...yet again. The two of them always jump into bed together, leaving the likes of you and me out in the cold. It is a cycle isn't it, that repeats and repeats, of great empires that rise and fall ,not realising that the seeds of their own defeat ,were planted at their inception.