Ron Paul: Obama’s Next Target: Syria

by Ron Paul

War drums are beating again in Washington. This time Syria is in the crosshairs after a massacre there last week left more than 100 dead. As might be expected from an administration with an announced policy of “regime change” in Syria, the reaction was to blame only the Syrian government for the tragedy, expel Syrian diplomats from Washington, and announce that the US may attack Syria even without UN approval. Of course, the idea that the administration should follow the Constitution and seek a Declaration of War from Congress is considered even more anachronistic now than under the previous administration.

It may be the case that the Syrian military was responsible for the events last week, but recent bombings and attacks have been carried out by armed rebels with reported al-Qaeda ties. With the stakes so high, it would make sense to wait for a full investigation — unless the truth is less important than stirring up emotions in favor of a US attack.

There is ample reason to be skeptical about US government claims amplified in mainstream media reports. How many times recently have lies and exaggerations been used to push for the use of force overseas? It was not long ago that we were told Gaddafi was planning genocide for the people of Libya, and the only way to stop it was a US attack. Those claims turned out to be false, but by then the US and NATO had already bombed Libya, destroying its infrastructure, killing untold numbers of civilians, and leaving a gang of violent thugs in charge.

Likewise, we were told numerous falsehoods to increase popular support for the 2003 war on Iraq, including salacious stories of trans-Atlantic drones and WMDs. Advocates of war did not understand the complexities of Iraqi society, including its tribal and religious differences. As a result, Iraq today is a chaotic mess, with its ancient Christian population eliminated and the economy set back decades. An unnecessary war brought about by lies and manipulation never ends well.

Earlier still, we were told lies about genocide and massacres in Kosovo to pave the way for President Clinton’s bombing campaign against Yugoslavia. More than 12 years later, that region is every bit as unstable and dangerous as before the US intervention – and American troops are still there.

The story about the Syrian massacre keeps changing, which should raise suspicions. First, we were told that the killings were caused by government shelling, but then it was discovered that most were killed at close range with handgun fire and knives. No one has explained why government forces would take the time to go house to house binding the hands of the victims before shooting them, and then retreat to allow the rebels in to record the gruesome details. No one wants to ask or answer the disturbing questions, but it would be wise to ask ourselves who benefits from these stories.

We have seen media reports over the past several weeks that the Obama administration is providing direct “non-lethal” assistance to the rebels in Syria while facilitating the transfer of weapons from other Gulf States. This semi-covert assistance to rebels we don’t know much about threatens to become overt intervention. Last week Gen. Martin Dempsey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said about Syria, “I think the military option should be considered.” And here all along I thought it was up to Congress to decide when we go to war, not the generals.

We are on a fast track to war against Syria. It is time to put on the brakes.

1. God dammit man you should know by now you shouldn’t rely on others to get you your freedom thats how they robbing us of our freedom now.

2. Look at MediaLens for a great analysis of British news coverage of the Houla massacre–lots of huge warmongering propaganda, cartoons with Assad bloody, etc.

3. if everyone thought like you there would be no hope, i give up on you.

4. because they tell you what you want to hear as i said before.

5. Thats the problem just because most politicians lie you assume they all do.

ron pauls been saying the same things for 20 years and exsposing the corruption, if hes a fake why would he be exposing the status quo ? makes no sense

6. Yes, which is bullshit. But, I think he’s just picking the lesser of the 2 evils. And he’s being realistic, Ron Paul is pretty much out of the race & I’m sad to say Gary Johnson doesn’t have a chance, so what other choice does he have?

7. Oh ok I misread sorry about that. You heard of Rand Paul endorsing Romney right???

8. Exactly, I was labeling King the troll. I was just telling you to quit feeding the troll king0200Joe. He’s obviously the troll. I know who I was labeling lol.

9. Its not silly its the truth that all politicians say things that people wanna hear and make promises they will never come through with. politicians make promises that they want peace or end the fed and stop being a terrorist nation and in the end that still starting wars, keeping the fed and still being terrorist. if you want freedom you need to stop relying on politicians and rely on yourselves.

10. “””And I would quit feeding the troll: King0200Joe if I were you. He clearly has no life.”””

If you didnt think i was a troll you wouldnt label me with that term troll.

11. I never called you a troll, I was talking about King0200Joe. Read my comment again.

12. He’s picking the lesser of the 2 evils… How does that mean he’s bought-off & controlled?

13. You are abit silly really, if you think thats what the majority of people wanted to hear.

No1 else speaks wants peace, no1 else wants to end the fed, no1 else wants america to stop being a fucking terrorist nation except ron paul

14. Continental Ivy

Dr. Paul, I love you but the bit about Kosovo does not support, but actually refutes, your argument. I know this because I was there during the war. We should have not intervened in principle but we did and I am glad we did because you won’t believe what was happening there. I am against interventionism and I argue against it but when liberals mention Bosnia or Kosovo, I am left with no option but to acknowledge that it was the right thing to do. Good luck! I hope you win!

15. Ron …..MAKE A STATEMENT…..WTF IS GOING ON???

16. Actually, Rand obviously can since he just indorsed Mitt…

17. sorry to hear about your fucking douche bag son, ron.

18. go and fuck Bashar for god sake

19. I saw his debate, he say whats people wants to hear.